Author Topic: nVidia 3D accelerated graphics  (Read 3136 times)

Offline kveidem

• Neuling
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • GPU Card: nVidia GTX 560 Ti
  • Kernel: 3.10.18-1 x86_64
  • Skill: Novice
nVidia 3D accelerated graphics
« on: 25. August 2012, 18:16:35 »
Manjaro looks very promising and I hope to make it the distro of my choice. The CLI installer had me smile when partitioning the HD. So intituitive. Hope the graphics installer will make the keyboard layout default to the same as the set timezone. The only thing stopping me from going all the way with Manjaro is 3D graphics...

To use Blender with Cycles render-engine I need 3D accelerated graphics. My graphics card is a nVidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti. Currently I use Xubuntu (core 3.2.0-29-generic) with the 295.40 graphics driver and this is working perfectly. Also I have installed Manjaro in a VirtualBox machine. I am not able to test Manjaro with 3D graphics in a VB install. I have two options to properly test Manjaro with 3D;

1) Make room on my HDD for a second Linux distro (Manjaro). This raises the question about GRUB and I feel uncertain about this.
2) Do fresh install and let Manjaro use my entire HDD. This is what I finally want, but only if I can have 3D working like in Xubuntu.

What to expect of Manjaro and 3D with my GTX 560 Ti? Should I wait until 0.9? How to handle GRUB during install of Manjaro with Xubuntu already on disk?

I'm afraid to destroy my Xubuntu install before beeing sure that Manjaro with 3D will work.

Offline geo92

• Neuling
Re: nVidia 3D accelerated graphics
« Reply #1 on: 25. August 2012, 19:58:43 »
You may choose option 1, GRUB2 will recognize several distros as well as Windows when installing Manjaro.
I had bad issues with the NVIDIA proprietary driver (my card GEforce GT630M was recognized by XUbuntu but not by Manjaro), so you should wait before choosing option 2.

Regards

Offline kveidem

• Neuling
« Reply #2 on: 25. August 2012, 23:37:29 »
I have installed Manjaro 64-bit alongside Xubuntu on my HDD. Dual boot and GRUB 2 is working as it should. Also Manjaro installed the nVidia driver for me and when I installed Blender I got a recent build with cycles render engine included. That is really impressive, but Blender doesn't recognize my graphics card with CUDA.
- Manjaro 3.4.9-1 x86_64
- lspci | grep VGA ... reports my GeForce GTX 560 Ti
- Nvidia driver 304.37 (nvidia-settings reports 384 CUDA cores and recognizes 2048 MB RAM)
- Blender 2.63.17 (r49356) (also tested with 50196 from blender.org)

Does anyone have any ideas what to try?

Offline kveidem

• Neuling
« Reply #3 on: 26. August 2012, 15:01:30 »
Tried to compile Blender form source, but ran into a lot of problems. CUDA toolkit from NVidia is needed to compile with CUDA-support and is available for some distros, but not Arch/Manjaro. Guess maybe some of the others can be used - I don't know.

Then I found a pre-compiled version of Blender from an Arch user which worked. This is good news. Some people are able to get this working. Sadly the rendertime using this build was slower than on Xubuntu. Perhaps one day I will be able to do the compiling myself and get better results. For now I'm back to Xubuntu.

In the process I also tried different graphics drivers. Using the the mhwd command in Majaro worked very well for me switching graphics drivers. Trying out different drivers for hardware can't be much easier than that. Nice work Manjaro team.

mhwd -l (to list available drivers)
mhwd -r pci video-nvidia (to remove a driver)
mhwd -i pci video-nouveau (to install a driver)

Offline philm

• Core Team
    • Manjaro Linux
  • Branch: Unstable
  • GPU Card: Geforce GTX 650
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Kernel: Maintainer - so all ;)
  • Skill: Guru
« Reply #4 on: 29. August 2012, 20:14:11 »
CUDA (Compute Unified Device Architecture) is Nvidia's proprietary, closed-source parallel computing architecture and framework. It is made of several components:

required:
        proprietary Nvidia kernel module
        CUDA "driver" and "runtime" libraries
    optional:
        additional libraries: CUBLAS, CUFFT, CUSPARSE, etc.
        CUDA toolkit, including the nvcc compiler
        CUDA SDK, which contains many code samples and examples of CUDA and OpenCL programs

The kernel module and CUDA "driver" library are shipped in basis/nvidia and basis/opencl-nvidia. The "runtime" library and the rest of the CUDA toolkit are available in community/cuda-toolkit. The SDK has been packaged too (cuda-sdk), even if it is not required for developing in CUDA.

Code: [Select]
[phil@manjaro ~]$ pacman -Ss cuda
community/cuda-sdk 4.2.9-1
    NVIDIA's GPU programming sdk
community/cuda-toolkit 4.2.9-1
    NVIDIA's GPU programming toolkit
community/python2-pycuda 2011.2.2-1
    Python wrapper for Nvidia CUDA
« Last Edit: 29. August 2012, 20:15:52 by philm »