Author Topic: Astrill VPN?  (Read 4256 times)

Offline Paulybungu

• Neuling
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • GPU Card: nVidia GT 520M Intel
  • GPU driver: non-free driver
  • Kernel: 3.4.70-1-MANJARO (linux34)
  • Skill: Novice
Astrill VPN?
« on: 30. November 2013, 09:13:34 »
Hey guys,

I'm seriously considering moving permanently to Manjaro, but I live in China and need access to VPN. I'm subscribed to Astrill VPN, and I was wondering if anyone else has gotten this to work?

It's available through AUR, so perhaps I should be posting there and not here? But any help/info would be hugely appreciated.

Offline ringo

• Held Mitglied
  • www.manjaro-nl.org
    • Manjaro Belgium + forum
  • Branch: unsourced
  • Desktop: xfce
  • GPU Card: Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT (acer 23inch)
  • GPU driver: Free*
  • Kernel: linux kernel
Re: Astrill VPN?
« Reply #1 on: 30. November 2013, 09:23:00 »
hi!

Mayby it works like this:

https://www.astrill.com/knowledge-base/79/OpenVPN---How-to-configure-OpenVPN-with-OpenVPN-client-on-Linux.html

its mayby ubuntu exain but sudo pacman -S openvpn   and you have it :) it explain a bit to get also the certificate what you need ?

Is it something like this? :)
Dutch go the dutch site :)

Offline mips

• Held Mitglied
  • Valkyrja
  • Branch: Testing
  • GPU Card: GTX 960
  • GPU driver: video-nvidia
  • Kernel: 3.16
  • Skill: Intermediate
« Reply #2 on: 30. November 2013, 10:13:07 »
Is this a free service or do they have trial accounts as I would be willing to test it for you and provide you with install instructions if it works?

Offline Paulybungu

• Neuling
« Reply #3 on: 30. November 2013, 11:57:37 »
Hey guys, thanks for the quick replies.

I will try the Ubuntu instructions and see if the certificates work now.

And yes they offer a 7-day free trial to all users before they sign up. https://www.astrill.com/sign-up.php

I've gotten Astrill to work on many Ubuntu based distros and also on Open suse and fedora before. Be the nail on the head if it can work in Manjaro, I absolutely love what I've used of Manjaro so far.

Offline mips

• Held Mitglied
  • Valkyrja
« Reply #4 on: 30. November 2013, 12:51:07 »
Which one of those packages do you have?

If it at any stage asks me for credit card details before granting trial access I wont continue.

Edit: First you mention Astrill vpn and then you supply me a link to Strong vpn?
« Last Edit: 30. November 2013, 12:53:04 by mips »

Offline Paulybungu

• Neuling
« Reply #5 on: 30. November 2013, 12:58:55 »
I have the one year package and the family add-on package (for use on up to 5 computers at once)

If I remember correctly when I first joined up I sent the live support a message to ask them about the seven day trial.

IAnd yes that's fair if they ask for a credit card first. I really appreciate the help too. Another option is I could always send you my log in details and you could try it that way too.

Offline Paulybungu

• Neuling
« Reply #6 on: 30. November 2013, 13:01:40 »
Also I followed the instructions for setting up VPN with OpenVPN through the use of certificates as Ringo suggested and that didn't seem to work. After trying this method I couldn't connect to the internet at all, no matter which server config I tried.

Offline mips

• Held Mitglied
  • Valkyrja
« Reply #7 on: 30. November 2013, 13:03:38 »
I have the one year package and the family add-on package (for use on up to 5 computers at once)

If I remember correctly when I first joined up I sent the live support a message to ask them about the seven day trial.

IAnd yes that's fair if they ask for a credit card first. I really appreciate the help too. Another option is I could always send you my log in details and you could try it that way too.

I'll try and get a trial account from them, I already have  their gui app installed from AUR which I can run as root.

Don't send me or anyone else your login details please.

Offline Paulybungu

• Neuling
« Reply #8 on: 30. November 2013, 13:05:51 »
Hey no problem, again, thank you so much for the help.

Offline mips

• Held Mitglied
  • Valkyrja
« Reply #9 on: 30. November 2013, 13:59:36 »
Ok, you cannot get a trial account without paying and then requesting a refund so I will not be getting a trial account.

There is something very fishy about Astrill, their sign ups redirect to StrongVPN which is some intranet site (https://intranet.reliablehosting.com/services/strongvpn/) which might be legit. Talking to the Astrill support dude online they kept insisting that you don't have to pay for the trial account. I opted for wire transfer method so my credit card details are safe and completed the order which required verification. I kept telling the guy I need to pay first and the signup was not working for me. He then told me to install teamviewer and I asked for what and he said to remote to my pc. No fscking chance of that happening.

I contacted StrongVPN and spoke to one of their supervisors, she was adamant that they have no knowledge, affiliation or dealings with Astrill, I showed her all the links and stuff and they are gonna investigate all this.

Something is very fishy wrt to Astrill and I would stay far far away from them.

There is a astrill package in AUR your can install with yaourt -S astrill and then run it from the cli as root as it does not have the necessasry permissions to launch from the desktop menu.

I feel dirty now :D

Offline Paulybungu

• Neuling
« Reply #10 on: 30. November 2013, 14:07:29 »
Holy crap dude, I'm extremely sorry about all of that. We live in China and are on our second year with Astrill. We didn't have to pay for the startup, but that was over a year ago, so it seems that things have changed with them perhaps?

I also feel very dirty now too as we have only just signed up for another year with them! My apologies for this, it seems I may have to be switching VPN companies! Hopefully StrongVPN can get some decent results from their investigation.

Offline Paulybungu

• Neuling
« Reply #11 on: 30. November 2013, 14:15:42 »
As another matter of interest how did you get the gui to run from root? Nothing I do seems to make it open. I've tried everything suggested here https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Running_X_apps_as_root

Offline Paulybungu

• Neuling
« Reply #12 on: 30. November 2013, 14:18:34 »
No wait I got it to work there, I ran    sudo thunar   and navigated to the file ..... forgot about that one! Still think i'll be changing companies though

Offline mips

• Held Mitglied
  • Valkyrja
« Reply #13 on: 30. November 2013, 14:31:09 »
As another matter of interest how did you get the gui to run from root? Nothing I do seems to make it open. I've tried everything suggested here https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Running_X_apps_as_root

Code: [Select]
sudo /usr/local/Astrill/astrill

Offline mips

• Held Mitglied
  • Valkyrja
« Reply #14 on: 30. November 2013, 14:33:03 »
Holy crap dude, I'm extremely sorry about all of that. <snip?

I also feel very dirty now too as we have only just signed up for another year with them! My apologies for this, it seems I may have to be switching VPN companies! Hopefully StrongVPN can get some decent results from their investigation.

No need to apologise, not your fault. I found the entire situation quite interesting, hopefully StrongVPN gets to the bottom of this.