Author Topic: User Guides for Beginners  (Read 42180 times)

Offline eskaini

• Security Team
  • I eat deleted accounts
  • Skill: Novice
User Guides for Beginners
« on: 12. November 2012, 00:11:44 »
User guides for beginners are up on our wiki. They will:

• Give an overview of the key points about using Manjaro
  • Explain how to use package browser to find software, and
  • Explain how to use the pacman-gui to update your system, install and remove software
Start here: http://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Using_Manjaro_for_Beginners

Your feedback is also important. If there is anything you feel would improve these guides, or anything that needs to be added, then please let us know. You can post here, or send me a PM  :)

Offline iomthd

• Neuling
Re: User Guides for Beginners
« Reply #1 on: 15. November 2012, 04:34:19 »
Hi, new guy here, haven't actually installed yet. Reading through the guide though. Slight double type on the first line. Thanks for the guide!

Manjaro will automatically will automatically check and notify you of any updates available for your system and installed software applications, in addition to providing the very latest Manjaro-related news.

Offline Fandangio

• Neuling
  • Skill: Intermediate
« Reply #2 on: 15. November 2012, 05:46:35 »
I've had a look through the beginners install and using guides. They are both clear, concise and well laid out. Though I am new to Manjaro (and Arch) I've had no problems that I could not resolve by simply using these guides. Overall the documentation is very good.
AMD Phenom (tm) II x4 965 | 4GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GTS 450 4GB DDR3 | ASUS M4A88T-M

Offline eskaini

• Security Team
  • I eat deleted accounts
« Reply #3 on: 15. November 2012, 08:54:33 »
@ iomthd: Thanks for for highlighting this - it's been corrected

@ Fandango: Thank you for your kind words

Offline izh34

• Neuling
« Reply #4 on: 16. January 2013, 12:39:34 »
Can I suggest? It will be helpful to put some basic commands there for newbie to learn. I'm new to Arch-Linux and will appreciate if there is commands like how to install and how to remove softwares. (or I haven't explore the Wiki yet?)
Sorry if i wrote Manglish. Still learning what they called 'Standard English'. =D

Offline eskaini

• Security Team
  • I eat deleted accounts
« Reply #5 on: 16. January 2013, 12:52:43 »
Can I suggest? It will be helpful to put some basic commands there for newbie to learn. I'm new to Arch-Linux and will appreciate if there is commands like how to install and how to remove softwares. (or I haven't explore the Wiki yet?)

There's a guide on using the pacman-gui for software management: http://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Pacman-GUI
A terminal-based guide is also available: http://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Pacman

Some basic terminal-command guides are also on our "to-do" list (in fact, should be up by the end of next week).

Offline izh34

• Neuling
« Reply #6 on: 17. January 2013, 04:06:28 »
There's a guide on using the pacman-gui for software management: http://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Pacman-GUI
A terminal-based guide is also available: http://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Pacman

Some basic terminal-command guides are also on our "to-do" list (in fact, should be up by the end of next week).

You guys sure know how to break the hard parts for newbies into easy chunks like this. I love it! Thanks!
Sorry if i wrote Manglish. Still learning what they called 'Standard English'. =D

Offline antaios

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
« Reply #7 on: 02. February 2013, 03:32:22 »
call it 'user experiences'  and for the love of god, show the coe.

Offline stavros

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: XFCE 4.10
  • GPU Card: VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation NV44 [GeForce 6200 LE] (rev a1)
  • GPU driver: video-nouveau 2012.09.18 true PCI
  • Kernel: Linux manjaro 3.9.2-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon May 13 17:32:11 UTC 2013 i686 GNU/Linux
« Reply #8 on: 04. February 2013, 19:42:00 »
hello and congrats on this new effort / distrolet. There is a need for a distro that's easier that arch but more advanced than ubuntu. If thats the plan there could be some potential for manjaro  :D

Offline ultima

• Held Mitglied
« Reply #9 on: 04. February 2013, 20:52:22 »
True stavros , we need distros as Manjaro . It has many flavors also which I like also .

How come I didn t see this thread before , it might have saved me loads of troubles ! lol .

Offline vinzv

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
    • we❤manjaro
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: Gnome
  • GPU Card: Intel
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: 3.10.5
  • Skill: Advanced
« Reply #10 on: 05. February 2013, 03:11:35 »
I started translating the main user guide page to German:
http://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Manjaro_verwenden_f%C3%BCr_Anf%C3%A4nger

Any efforts to help are welcome!

Offline ariane_c

• Neuling
« Reply #11 on: 23. February 2013, 07:30:56 »
Appreciate the in depth guides.  I am still downloading the distro but look forward to trying it.  I am very new to Linux, just got fed up with Windows and deleted it! I figure full immersion is the best way to learn Linux! 
I am running Mint 14 right now and find it too simplistic and too much eye candy.  Read a lot of good things about Arch, but not ready to jump right into that.

Offline ruziel

• Held Mitglied
  • Those who know, laugh.
    • Coffee & Manjaro
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: Xfce
  • Kernel: 4.4 / 4.9
« Reply #12 on: 23. February 2013, 07:48:45 »
ariane_c - welcome to the community! that was the same with me - moved from XP to Linux Mint in december & now running Manjaro on both laptops for business & pleasure. personally Xfce is my fave desktop but also love Cinnamon. i'd suggest u stick with it for a month, connect with the community & see how the Manjaro flavour fits what you want. i also tried installing Arch but not for this newbie.
"There is no complete theory of anything." (Robert Anton Wilson)

Offline ariane_c

• Neuling
« Reply #13 on: 23. February 2013, 09:13:28 »
Thanks ruziel!  I grabbed the newest file, it's with xfce.  Ran the cheksum, burn to DVD, now to install!  Wiki was great help on how to check the file!  I spent the better part of today perusing Linux flavours and Manjaro jumped out to me!

Offline dicktater

• Held Mitglied
« Reply #14 on: 23. February 2013, 09:16:08 »
ariane_c,
Please be sure to frequently visit Carl's fantabulous Manjaro wiki and read through more than just the beginner's guide to installation. There is a lot more in the wiki that will be well worth the time you spend there!
The Manjaro Forum Revised Rules  How to Report Issues Properly   Please Read the Manjaro Wiki