Author Topic: Manjaro Awesome WM Respin  (Read 69563 times)

Offline Culinax

• Support Team
  • Branch: Unstable
  • Desktop: Awesome 3.5
  • GPU Card: NVIDIA GeForce 710M - Intel (Optimus)
  • GPU driver: Free Driver
  • Kernel: Linux315-x64
  • Skill: Intermediate
Re: Manjaro awesome WM Respin
« Reply #30 on: 15. October 2013, 20:26:36 »
Yes, I always run: chsh -s /usr/bin/zsh after I reinstall Manjaro.

But that's not what I mean. I mean really using it as default on the livecd and on the installed system, without the need of a command that the user should enter (because then it's not default).
Manjaro Awesome WM Respin: Current version: 0.8.10
Belgian/Dutch Manjaro Linux users: unite! http://manjaro-nl.org/ | IRC: #manjaro-nl

Offline Esclapion

• Support Team
    • manjaro
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: Lxqt
  • GPU Card: GTX 970
  • GPU driver: nonfree
  • Kernel: 4.4.6
  • Skill: Advanced
« Reply #31 on: 15. October 2013, 20:31:38 »
I'm not under Manjaro, now, but no file  "passwd", in manjaroiso ?

(edit)

But it must probably also must be changed in the installers, when adding a new user.
« Last Edit: 15. October 2013, 20:33:56 by Esclapion »
Venez nous rejoindre sur l'IRC francophone
Patrice - Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent (Asimov)

Offline Culinax

• Support Team
« Reply #32 on: 15. October 2013, 20:43:39 »
There is a passwd file in which all user accounts are stored in along with their default shell. I was just thinking the same that I should have a look at the code of the installer. Any place where I can find that code?
Belgian/Dutch Manjaro Linux users: unite! http://manjaro-nl.org/ | IRC: #manjaro-nl

Offline Esclapion

• Support Team
    • manjaro
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: Lxqt
  • GPU Card: GTX 970
  • GPU driver: nonfree
  • Kernel: 4.4.6
« Reply #33 on: 15. October 2013, 20:46:31 »
Venez nous rejoindre sur l'IRC francophone
Patrice - Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent (Asimov)

Offline Culinax

• Support Team
« Reply #34 on: 15. October 2013, 21:00:44 »
Hmm, I didn't find a git project for it, but meanwhile I found it on the manjaroiso profile (/overlay-livecd/etc/manjaro/). I'll take a look and see if I can find the relevant parts.

Offline Culinax

• Support Team
« Reply #35 on: 15. October 2013, 22:36:59 »
Got it to work. Now I only need to create a basic .zshrc (I'm just gonna take my own one and strip it down)

The next beta release won't be released this or next week though I think. Because 1) I've spent every minute of my spare time on this so far, and have been pushing aside my work for school. So I'm gonna start learning a bit more from now on :P 2) My plan is to release one more version of which I'm very happy with, then one more beta to maybe fix some stuff. By then I should have perfectionized it to the user's needs and I should be able to publish a 'real' release.

Offline flippy

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • AKA "day|flip" manjaro irc
  • Branch: Testing
  • Desktop: xmonad & bspwm
  • GPU Card: nVidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti
  • GPU driver: Nvida
  • Kernel: Got 64?
« Reply #36 on: 16. October 2013, 04:02:19 »
This is real nice for a  live cd.  ;D By far the most lag free live cd I ever had. 8) This do need more internet suppurt. I was not able connect with my powerline adaptor. And for the more user frinedly add All the programs to the menu. So that way people know why they had to used up all there cd space on this one iso image.
« Last Edit: 16. October 2013, 04:07:36 by flippy »

Offline Culinax

• Support Team
« Reply #37 on: 16. October 2013, 07:35:45 »
This is real nice for a  live cd.  ;D By far the most lag free live cd I ever had. 8) This do need more internet suppurt. I was not able connect with my powerline adaptor. And for the more user frinedly add All the programs to the menu. So that way people know why they had to used up all there cd space on this one iso image.

Thanks a lot for your feedback!

It uses netctl instead of NetworkManger because it's more lightweight, but maybe you're right that NetworkManager is a bit more user-friendly. Mainly because it offers a systray icon. I'll see if the netctl GUI frontend WiFiz is worth anything. Otherwise I'll add NetworkManger and nm-applet.

In my local version, I've already included a program (archlinux-xdg-menu) that automatically generates an Application menu. There's also a Manjaro icon on the left top which opens the menu. I didn't really think of this at first because I've linked all my favourite programs to a keybinding. But this is a good thing for people coming from Openbox/Xfce/...

The CD isn't very tiny indeed. I was surprised myself how adding apps to do things automatically can increase CD size. It actually gives me more respect to Arch Linux about the way they (not) do this :P

Offline mips

• Held Mitglied
  • Valkyrja
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • GPU Card: GTX 960
  • GPU driver: video-nvidia
  • Kernel: 3.16
« Reply #38 on: 16. October 2013, 08:37:18 »
It uses netctl instead of NetworkManger because it's more lightweight, but maybe you're right that NetworkManager is a bit more user-friendly. Mainly because it offers a systray icon. I'll see if the netctl GUI frontend WiFiz is worth anything. Otherwise I'll add NetworkManger and nm-applet.

Wicd would be another option.

Offline Nikolay626

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: Enlightenment 18
  • GPU Card: Mesa DRI Intel 965GM
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: 3.12-X64
« Reply #39 on: 19. October 2013, 05:27:50 »
I'm just reading about what you are doing, I have to say, You sir are really awesome for making such a re-spin yourself! This will really bring in more advanced users or even new users to the awesome window manager and to the distribution, soon we will have a re-spin for every environment :3 Thanks for making this re-spin, I do not have my laptop currently so I cannot test it, when I get my laptop back I will definitely try it out. Excellent work, greatly appreciated!
I'm an advanced Google searcher.

Offline Culinax

• Support Team
« Reply #40 on: 19. October 2013, 10:47:44 »
I'm just reading about what you are doing, I have to say, You sir are really awesome for making such a re-spin yourself! This will really bring in more advanced users or even new users to the awesome window manager and to the distribution, soon we will have a re-spin for every environment :3 Thanks for making this re-spin, I do not have my laptop currently so I cannot test it, when I get my laptop back I will definitely try it out. Excellent work, greatly appreciated!

Lol, thanks a lot. The public that I'm trying to reach is people who want to try out tiling WMs, and people who don't have the time to (or just don't want to) install and configure several applications. I'm pretty sure that most people that actively use tiling WMs have the skills to quickly install and configure a NET installation. So user-friendliness is what I'm aiming for.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I tested that WiFiz program already, it's not worth the trouble to set it up tbh. I'll see if I can get wicd or networkmanager on it (I'll first try wicd, because it's more lightweight than NM, and I also found it to be easier to use)
« Last Edit: 19. October 2013, 10:56:29 by Culinax »

Offline shmaleb

• Jr. Mitglied
  • Skill: Novice
« Reply #41 on: 22. October 2013, 00:35:05 »
can you post the config.lua?
█████   ██
██         ██
       ██  ██
██   ██  ██
██   ██  ██

Offline flippy

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
« Reply #42 on: 22. October 2013, 21:43:23 »
I have two suggestion.

For one the web browser is minimum at most. It frustrates me trying to figure a easier way to clear both history and cookies. And even give me trouble loading manjaro home page and a few other big site. So it come down to it needing to be light, easy to used or easy to figure out. So far closest web browser come close to dwb in lightnest but much easier to used is QupZilla. Maybe only con that I find is you can't used mplayer combo it with youtube. If that even count as con.

2) This is more optional. Unagi Compositing Manager. I find it to be very light and very fast. If all your doing is ture transparency. It dose a find job. It rarely used 1% cpu and ram. And it in AUR. I don't used git verison.

Offline Culinax

• Support Team
« Reply #43 on: 22. October 2013, 22:53:25 »
I have two suggestion.

For one the web browser is minimum at most. It frustrates me trying to figure a easier way to clear both history and cookies. And even give me trouble loading manjaro home page and a few other big site. So it come down to it needing to be light, easy to used or easy to figure out. So far closest web browser come close to dwb in lightnest but much easier to used is QupZilla. Maybe only con that I find is you can't used mplayer combo it with youtube. If that even count as con.

2) This is more optional. Unagi Compositing Manager. I find it to be very light and very fast. If all your doing is ture transparency. It dose a find job. It rarely used 1% cpu and ram. And it in AUR. I don't used git verison.
There's a huge manpage on dwb. You can use the 'sanitize' command inside dwb to remove all private data (press ':' then sanitize). It's indeed not very newbie friendly with the vim-like keybindings, because it's only when you are used to those that it becomes really powerful. I'm not a big fan of Qt applications inside simple WMs though, it just contradicts eachother. What would you think about adding Midori?

I've read about Unagi on the awesome wiki, but for some reason I have never taken a look at it. Transparency is indeed the only thing it has to do, it's even only for the Volnoti notifiction daemon. Now it is used for the drop-down manager too, but I plan to remove that.

can you post the config.lua?

Sure, this is how it currently looks like: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28165780/awesome-configuration.tar.gz
I'm gonna post the whole iso profile when I release my first not-beta version, because now it changes almost every day. So if I'd post it now, it'll be outdated tomorrow.

I've spent more than a week on completely rewriting the Post Installation Script from scratch. I don't like bragging, but I'm proud enough to say that it's a thousand times better than the previous one. I've made a little snapshot of it and created a PKGBUILD for it. You can download it here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28165780/PKGBUILD Then you can simply run makepgk -i to install it on your computer.

Offline flippy

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
« Reply #44 on: 23. October 2013, 02:37:13 »
There's a huge manpage on dwb. You can use the 'sanitize' command inside dwb to remove all private data (press ':' then sanitize). It's indeed not very newbie friendly with the vim-like keybindings, because it's only when you are used to those that it becomes really powerful. I'm not a big fan of Qt applications inside simple WMs though, it just contradicts eachother. What would you think about adding Midori?

I've read about Unagi on the awesome wiki, but for some reason I have never taken a look at it. Transparency is indeed the only thing it has to do, it's even only for the Volnoti notifiction daemon. Now it is used for the drop-down manager too, but I plan to remove that.
Midori will be fine. So long it not the gtk3 verison (made my system go haywire. both my cpu and ram shot up to 60%). But why you prefer gtk over Qt? I don't see why it matter since awesome is C and lua.