Author Topic: (POLL) How did you first hear about Manjaro?  (Read 28363 times)

Offline stevedude

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: Deepin
  • GPU Card: NVidia GTS 450
  • GPU driver: Non-Free
  • Kernel: linux41-x64
  • Skill: Novice
Re: (POLL) How did you first hear about Manjaro?
« Reply #165 on: 05. May 2016, 15:22:36 »
I cut my teeth in Linux using Ubuntu for a few years. Then approximately 3 years ago I saw what is now called "Deepin" being developed and I loved that DE above all others I have seen. I tried to use Deepin with the Ubuntu base, but it I always had graphics issues, so I always reverted back to the familiar, which for me, was Ubuntu.

Recently, I read that Deepin was using Debian and not Ubuntu as it's base, so I gave that a try. As soon as I installed Steam and a proprietary NVidia driver, my graphics slowed to a crawl. By complete accident I was researching something about Linux and came across a blog that Manajaro had a Deepin DE. After researching more about Manajaro, I really liked the idea of a rolling/stable release because the one issue I had with Ubuntu was their 6-month update schedule always breaking something on my system. I never had a smooth upgrade.

Upon installing Manajaro Deepin with proprietary drivers, my graphics card just worked! The updates are not a hassle and I have a system I have confidence in.

Offline johnvan54

• Neuling
  • Murphy was an optimist
  • Branch: Testing
  • Desktop: XFCE 4.1.2
  • GPU Card: ATI Radeon HD 4850
  • GPU driver: Free
  • Kernel: linux44-x64
  • Skill: Intermediate
« Reply #166 on: 05. May 2016, 15:50:41 »
After a few years hiatus from Linux, I decided to come back from the dark side. I reviewed several top 10 lists, and found Manjaro.  I liked the idea of using an up to date distribution. The fact that it was a rolling release appealed to me.

Offline Odysseus

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: KDE
  • GPU Card: nVidia GeForce Go 7950 GTX
  • GPU driver: nVidia non-free
  • Kernel: linux44-x64
  • Skill: Intermediate
« Reply #167 on: 08. May 2016, 18:20:46 »
I found out about Manjaro on slashdot about a month ago. Then I researched on distrowatch, liked what I read, googled a few more reviews, then tried it out for size. I was searching for a new distro to call home, had been intrigued with Arch for sometime, but didn't have the time or patience to start a system from scratch again, and thought this might be interesting to try out.

So I popped a spare harddrive intgo my laptop, installed the KDE flavor, tried it a few days, and loved it. Then I put back in my main harddrive backed up what I needed to onto a few portable drives, copied my home directory from my trial installation into the home partition on my main drive, then installed fresh from the install disk into my freshly formatted system. Then about a week later there was a major plasma update, which went smoothly, and I've been extremely happy.

There are a few quirks I'm still getting used to. For example X runs on TTY1 instead of TTY7 or 8 like every other distro I've ever used, but it's been a pleasant experience so far. I'm looking forward to using this longterm, now that I've found a new home.

Offline ghoultek

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Desktop: KDE, Cinnamon, Mate, Xfce
  • GPU Card: EVGA GTX 660 (nVidia)
  • GPU driver: nVidia 365.10 (on win7) and soon 361.42 on (Manjaro)
  • Kernel: linux 4.4.91 x86_64 (manjaro kde 16.06)
  • Skill: Novice
« Reply #168 on: 10. May 2016, 10:46:44 »
Spatry and Mathew Moore and later Joe Collins.