Author Topic: Firewall ! is there any need for one (Desktop @ Home)  (Read 18918 times)

Offline Skully

• Jr. Mitglied
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: KDE
  • GPU Card: nVidia GTX 660ti 2gb
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Kernel: 3.18 x86_64
  • Skill: Advanced
Re: Firewall ! is there any need for one (Desktop @ Home)
« Reply #45 on: 30. October 2014, 18:02:10 »
Lol you run your firewall if it makes you sleep better. I am done with listening to your over paranoid jargon.

Offline Vaude

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: KDE Plasma 5
  • GPU Card: Intel HD 4000 (Integrated)
  • GPU driver: Free
  • Kernel: 4.1
  • Skill: Novice
« Reply #46 on: 30. October 2014, 18:36:44 »
@Skully

Phil67 is not being "over paranoid", what he says is perfectly valid. You on the other hand sound like you're in denial.

Reality is what it is, not what we want it to be in our heads (Oh and please, if anyone just got tempted to start a philosophical discussion based on that sentence, count me out immediately, I won't get into it).

For example, I'm not saying that you are or are not compromised regarding security, nor am I making any unproven claims about NSA's or whatever's actions, but how we deal with things is what matters. Whole society is based on the concept of trust, so whatever the truth is, at least one can take comfort in that: Things just wouldn't work if paranoia was the dominating mentality in the world. That's why it isn't, people don't like to feel that way for extended period of time.

Offline QtAndNice

• Jr. Mitglied
  • Desktop: KDE 5.x.(current stable)
  • GPU Card: nVidia GTX 760
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Kernel: 4.1.18-1-lts-tomoyo (AUR)
« Reply #47 on: 05. November 2014, 12:51:49 »
Phil67 is not being "over paranoid", what he says is perfectly valid. You on the other hand sound like you're in denial.

Reality is what it is, not what we want it to be in our heads (Oh and please, if anyone just got tempted to start a philosophical discussion based on that sentence, count me out immediately, I won't get into it).

For example, I'm not saying that you are or are not compromised regarding security, nor am I making any unproven claims about NSA's or whatever's actions, but how we deal with things is what matters. Whole society is based on the concept of trust, so whatever the truth is, at least one can take comfort in that: Things just wouldn't work if paranoia was the dominating mentality in the world. That's why it isn't, people don't like to feel that way for extended period of time.

Exacly my wavelength.

In a corrupted/ conditioned/ twisted society, there have to be countermeasures against every aspect of the resulting inhumanity.
The countermeasures have to be as extreme as the danger itself because only those who see the world as it is will stay untouched by it's flaws.

Take a look at google chrome for example, it's open source yet it's malware (as everything else that comes from google).
If a person can live with that fact, he propably doesn't need a firewall anymore since he's computer would be exploited anyway.

Offline ruziel

• Held Mitglied
  • Those who know, laugh.
    • Coffee & Manjaro
  • Desktop: Xfce
  • Kernel: 4.4 / 4.9
« Reply #48 on: 05. November 2014, 13:07:38 »
I would say that the most important firewall we can put in place, is the one that protects our minds & our ability to exercise at least some level of individual thought.

As far as physical firewalls go, one cannot answer that question for anyone else. For me, my router affords me enough protection. If a hacker wants to look at my hard drive or online activities, they will soon become bored. At the same time, my business is run entirely in the cloud, so the privacy & safety of that data is in their hands. For some, that is unacceptable.

In our house we only watch DVD's & have no programmed TV channels. That's a different type of firewall.

Question everything.

R.
"There is no complete theory of anything." (Robert Anton Wilson)

Offline taxistacuatroplazas

• Neuling
  • Taxista colabora con la ley
  • GPU Card: desktop->nVidia GTS250; laptop->intel HD4000+nvidia620M
  • GPU driver: non free
  • Kernel: linux3.16-x64
« Reply #49 on: 07. December 2014, 14:08:38 »
let's talk again in 20 years when an ex-friend of yours said something against the us government and was tortured in a "secret" prison in egypt. then, you will be imprisoned for conspiracy and cannot proof your innocence...
no, seriously. with an attitude like yours, you give all power over you to "government/nsa officials" and you cannot foresee their intentions.

if you do not understand my argument, i wish you good luck for the rest of your life. you might need it.

I totally agree with every word you say. Sadly, privacy has become a mayor issue for many reasons, not only political: medical, economical, work-related reasons...

Offline ron

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • It is what it is
  • GPU Card: ATi X1400
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: various
  • Skill: Intermediate
« Reply #50 on: 07. December 2014, 15:51:10 »
in twenty years i will be past caring and dead just you young whippersnappers will have to worry.....

priceless ! :-D
Be humble, be human, your ego does not need stroking, your eyes and heart need to open up!
Mankind will bring forth it's own demise, but in the meantime we don't have to be totally blind for the suffering we force upon others.
Sadly we choose to look away... anyway...

Offline LizziAS

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • Branch: Hyssop
  • Desktop: OB-OpenRC
  • GPU Card: 6520G
  • GPU driver: Catalyst
  • Kernel: Zen
« Reply #51 on: 10. April 2016, 16:05:45 »
You can tell you have too many firewalls when you are no longer able to access content on the internet.

Your isp may have one and perhaps your modem as well and then likely is your wifi router.

But why not then use a server with another firewall.

And one more on your pc, tablet and phone.

But please realize that all the traffic going in and out of your isp is being scooped up by the nsa and recorded for posterity so I'm guessing it doesn't really matter.

Offline g33zr

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.
  • Desktop: Cinnamon
  • GPU Card: Intel
  • Kernel: the latest
« Reply #52 on: 10. April 2016, 16:42:13 »
@LizziAS: Copy that...my feelings exactly. You never know who's watching you and why. Once upon a time when I lived in Europe, my then-wife and I attended a weekend festival by the Communist party in that country. There was music, activities, great food and drink, as well as  speeches and debates. Not long after, my brother-in-law, a member of the criminal police who worked in IT, told us that a colleague has informed him that our names turned up in a database. According to the dossier, I was a communist sympathizer and my wife was a youth leader who worked with party children. Both accusations were false: my wife was not a party member and I had little sympathy for the party, which was Moscow-oriented. We attended the event out of curiosity and because we happened to have a aquaintances who were party member. I wonder how much my "dossier" has grown over the years....  :o
OK, so I took the red pill. Now what?

Offline conky57

• Held Mitglied
  • Branch: testing
  • Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.8.4 (16.10 Fringilla) w/OpenRC
  • GPU Card: M92 Ati Mobility Radeon HD 4500 Series
  • Kernel: 3.18.32-1-MANJARO - x86_64
« Reply #53 on: 10. April 2016, 16:46:39 »
It's obvious that different ppl have differing viewpoints on the whole issue of "security" as regards the internet. I try to be realistic, and I feel that the only truly "secure" way to connect to the internet is likely to not connect at all......which is not very realistic for most of us. ???
I think to expect 100% security is also unrealistic, so realistically we are left with some level of greater or lesser "security". This is "internet terrorism"  of a sort.

Best regards.
Be kind to everyone, because everyone is fighting some sort of battle.

LinuxCounter registered user  #278931

Offline c00ter

• Held Mitglied
  • Towelie's cupcake
  • Branch: ☮Olive☮
  • Desktop: Depends©
  • GPU Card: Intel HD4400M CPU: Core i7-4510U
  • GPU driver: Intel/Free
  • Kernel: 4.4-lts & 4.5
« Reply #54 on: 10. April 2016, 16:59:14 »
Quote from: thundersqueak on 17. October 2013, 19:58:16
in twenty years i will be past caring and dead just you young whippersnappers will have to worry.....

-2 and counting...
“What, me worry?” ― Alfred E. Newman

Manjaro Wiki: https://wiki.manjaro.org/
Arch Wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/
Pacman Rosetta: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Rosetta

Offline Heart Of A Lion

• Sr. Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Desktop: Xfce, Enlightenment
  • GPU Card: ATi 7770 . . . . . . . CPU: AMD octacore 4GHz
  • GPU driver: Free (video-ATI)
  • Kernel: 4.6 (x64)
« Reply #55 on: 10. April 2016, 17:14:09 »
In my opinion a firewall is needed on Linux as well.

To illustrate my point, just try to run SSH behind port 22 and watch the mayhem of login attempts to your machine.

The problem is however that currently there is no firewall available for Linux that can be configured easily without a lot of technical knowledge.

People praise Gufw, but in my opinion it's not even suited for intermediate Linux users. Unfortunately Linux has no firewall available like Comodo on Windows, which allows you to block inbound or outbound data traffic using a popup. As soon as a program requests an internet connection, then you can block it using the popup.

Gufw could technically be further developed to do this, however nobody has done it so far. I would have contributed to the project myself, however I lack the required technical knowledge of firewalls in order to program this.

Offline Fatboy

• Sr. Mitglied
  • "Spiral out. Keep going..."
  • Desktop: Xfce, KDE plasma 5
  • GPU Card: nVidia GeForce 210
  • GPU driver: 340.xx
  • Kernel: Manjaro Kernel 4.4 LTS
« Reply #56 on: 18. April 2016, 19:25:24 »
OK, so this conversation has turned into a philosophical one, which is fine. Unfortunately, once we connect to the internet we're all essentially f***ed and even though we can't do much about it, we could at least try. This is why I will always take all the security measures I can. If someone wants my data I can at least try to give them hell.haha
"I'm reaching for the random or whatever will bewilder me. Whatever will bewilder me."