Author Topic: Vote for GOG to add Linux versions of games they sell  (Read 5668 times)

Offline FutureSuture

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
    • Linux Related Requests On GOG
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: KDE
  • Kernel: Linux 4.1 x64
  • Skill: Novice
Vote for GOG to add Linux versions of games they sell
« on: 08. August 2013, 20:45:15 »
GOG, a digital distributor of computer games, had a makeover and one of the features this makeover introduced was a community wishlist where users get to submit suggestions for either games or website features and vote on these suggestions. One such request submitted by a user called JudasIscariot was to add Linux versions of games that GOG already sold for Windows to their catalog i.e. games like Heroes of Might and Magic 3, Unreal Tournament 2004, and Neverwinter Nights.

Quote from: JudasIscariot
If a game has a Linux version and it is made and supported by the developer please allow the option to download the Linux version if at all possible.

It's taken a while, but the Add Linux versions of games request on the GOG Community Wishlist has surpassed 10 000 votes! This entry is currently placed fifth on the wislist. Get to voting and make it first! This shows that there are gamers using Linux and that they are ravenous for support. With Linux seeing great support thanks to Kickstarter, the Humble Bundle, and Steam, it is only a matter of time before our votes reach the folks at GOG and they go through the simple task of adding Linux versions of the games they already sell for Windows.

Your vote counts and is just a click away!

What GOG is all about:

« Last Edit: 11. August 2013, 10:16:28 by Parmaster »

Offline KuroiLight

• Neuling
  • Chaotic Good
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: Xfce
  • GPU Card: 460 GTX
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Kernel: 3.11.6 x64
Re: Vote for GOG to add Linux versions of games they sell
« Reply #1 on: 09. August 2013, 01:11:25 »
Your voting link has quotes around it making it harder to use. Will definitely vote though!

Offline Esclapion

• Support Team
    • manjaro
  • Desktop: Lxqt
  • GPU Card: GTX 970
  • GPU driver: nonfree
  • Kernel: 4.4.6
  • Skill: Advanced
« Reply #2 on: 09. August 2013, 01:34:29 »
Only pub, I think.
Venez nous rejoindre sur l'IRC francophone
Patrice - Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent (Asimov)

Offline FutureSuture

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
« Reply #3 on: 09. August 2013, 01:44:56 »
Your voting link has quotes around it making it harder to use. Will definitely vote though!
My sincere apologies. Here I am, asking for support for this particular cause, and I couldn't even get the links right! How does one go about editing posts? Noticed a typo on another post of mine as well.

Offline FutureSuture

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
« Reply #4 on: 10. August 2013, 19:53:44 »
The developer of Maia says that he's spoken at length with GOG about Linux! Plus, developing for Linux is easier than developing for Mac OS according to him. Details in the link!

Offline FutureSuture

• Vollwertiges Mitglied

Offline FutureSuture

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
« Reply #6 on: 30. August 2013, 00:06:45 »
Quote from: Paradox
Basically I (we) see a big potential in Linux beyond the 1% . Currently Linux sales either just break even or yield a very small profit. But Rome wasn't built in a day.

We don't have a higher idealistic goal about freedom of choice - not more than it meaning that we'll reach a bigger audience.

In the end of the day Paradox makes hardcore games for smart gamers who want smart games - I think the average Linux user just happens to overlap with our niche business quite well.

Source. Wish GOG saw it that way as well.

Offline mips

• Held Mitglied
  • Valkyrja
  • Branch: Testing
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • GPU Card: GTX 960
  • GPU driver: video-nvidia
  • Kernel: 3.16
  • Skill: Intermediate
« Reply #7 on: 30. August 2013, 01:36:41 »
I sent GOG an email suggesting they package for WINE in Feb-2013 and their response was,

Hello, unfortunately we are not able to do this at this time.
Regards,
GOG.com Support

That said I still think GOG is excellent in providing patched games at a really good price. They are a worthy company to support in my book. Even if they don't do linux suport at the moment their offerings are still good and can be run in wine.
« Last Edit: 30. August 2013, 01:39:19 by mips »

Offline FutureSuture

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
« Reply #8 on: 30. August 2013, 02:01:31 »
I sent GOG an email suggesting they package for WINE in Feb-2013 and their response was,

Quote from: GOG
Hello, unfortunately we are not able to do this at this time.
Regards,
GOG.com Support

That said I still think GOG is excellent in providing patched games at a really good price. They are a worthy company to support in my book. Even if they don't do linux suport at the moment their offerings are still good and can be run in wine.

Encouraging the use of Wine is not what I am after. GOG sells plenty of games that have native Linux clients but are not available on GOG.The company also makes extensive use of ScummVM and DOSBox which all run on Linux as well. These are the issues I expect the folks at GOG to tackle first.

Offline mips

• Held Mitglied
  • Valkyrja
  • Branch: Testing
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • GPU Card: GTX 960
  • GPU driver: video-nvidia
  • Kernel: 3.16
  • Skill: Intermediate
« Reply #9 on: 30. August 2013, 02:09:16 »
Encouraging the use of Wine is not what I am after. GOG sells plenty of games that have native Linux clients but are not available on GOG.The company also makes extensive use of ScummVM and DOSBox which all run on Linux as well. These are the issues I expect the folks at GOG to tackle first.

What you want counts for is of no significanse to GOG. They are a business and business is about maximising profit. ScummVM & DOSBox is really not that different to WINE, they all provide a compatibility layer for apps to run on.

I would support whatever they decide to bring to the linux table unless you want them to recode & recompile apps to natively run on linux.

Offline FutureSuture

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
« Reply #10 on: 30. August 2013, 02:19:41 »
What you want counts for is of no significanse to GOG. They are a business and business is about maximising profit. ScummVM & DOSBox is really not that different to WINE, they all provide a compatibility layer for apps to run on.

I would support whatever they decide to bring to the linux table unless you want them to recode & recompile apps to natively run on linux.

As a customer with money to spend, GOG better damn well take into account what I and tens of thousands of other potential paying customers have to say. Like you said, GOG is a business and a business is about maximising profit. What I am saying is that there is no need to go the Wine route just yet when there are plenty of Linux clients of games they already sell to distribute as well as make sure ScummVM and DOSBox are easily installable on Linux.

Offline FutureSuture

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
« Reply #11 on: 11. February 2014, 09:33:45 »
The request for GOG to add Linux clients of games that already have them to its repetoire has now surpassed 14 000 votes. The request is also closing in on the request above it and will likely soon surpass it to take spot five. Get to voting, people, and show that Linux users want GOG to support Linux!

Offline wskl

• Jr. Mitglied
  • Desktop: Xfce
  • GPU Card: nvidia GTX 750 Ti
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Kernel: linux44-x64
« Reply #12 on: 11. February 2014, 16:18:41 »
GamingOnLinux wrote an article with no good news on this subject.  But as it was dated 15 Sep 2013, I have no idea if anything has changed since then.
http://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/gogcom-dont-plan-on-introducing-linux-support-in-the-foreseeable-future-updated.2369/

Trevor Longino GOG.com

Hi Liam,

Unfortunately not much has changed in our stance towards supporting Linux in the last few months and there is one main reason for that. Since our birth over 5 years ago we have always provided full customer support for all games we have released. That is not going to change. For every game we release we provide a money-back guarantee: if we can't get the game working on the customer's computer with the help of our support team, we return the money. The architecture of Linux with many common distros, each of them updating fairly often, makes it incredibly challenging for any digital distribution company to be able to properly test the game in question, and then provide support for the release--all of which our users are accustomed to.

Sure, we could probably release a client and sell the games and let Linux users worry about the rest. We don't consider it, however, a viable option for the business model we have followed so far. Apparently our model has its drawbacks, as we cannot make everyone happy, but, as of now, we don't plan on introducing Linux support in the foreseeable future.

Piotr Szczesniak GOG.com

It's a bit more than that.

There are a number of distros. We can support just one (which is how Steam is doing it), but since we believe strongly in freedom of choice, that's not our preference. On the other hand, supporting everything in the world is more burden than any business could assume So, the last time we looked into this, we investigated supporting three common ones: Mint, Debian, and Google's Chrome OS.  We researched the number of OS updates, how often they occurred, when (and how frequently) various libraries are surpassed and deprecated. We then researched how often, for example, updates to these versions of Linux caused problems with DOSBox, SCUMMVM, and other tools that we make use of for our remastering process.

There is a difference in GOG.com's business model from Steam or any other distributor out there. *We* are on the hook for support of these games. And we update our support as the OSes that our games are running on are updated. That means that, unlike a developer or any other distributor, when we release on a Linux distro, we don't have to test once and then we're done. Each time there is a major update in an OS that we support that changes compatibility, we have to devote substantial time and resources to updating our catalog to work with the update. Sometimes, it may even occur that we cannot fix it in-house but rather have to spend the money to get it fixed by outside resources or else we'd have to remove the compatibility for the game from its game card. Imagine if we had 400 games from our 600+ game catalog supported on Linux and we found that a third of them no longer worked in a distro that we supported. Imagine the time and effort that would go into re-building 130 games.

Now take that kind of time and effort--time and effort that is not required by other OSes except on a one every four or five years' basis--and think of the cost we associate with it vs. the possible revenue that we might earn from Linux. Even if, on average, a Linux distro only has big updates as often as, say, Mac OSX does (every four or so years), unless these big updates are synchronized across the distros (which, historically, they're not) that means we're seeing the need to remaster some of our games every 14 - 16 months.

Until we can figure out something like a better way to automate testing and building games for GOG.com, there's no way that the economics of Linux support make sense for us. That said, we do know that there are plenty of people who want to be able to play their games with Linux-native support from us, and we continue to look for ways where we can automate this until it reaches a point where it is something that we believe we can do and not lose money at it.

Offline FutureSuture

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
« Reply #13 on: 11. February 2014, 19:54:42 »
Nothing has changed since then, wskl. I point people towards the Humble Store now, but it definitely does not hurt improving the number of votes on Linux related requests on GOG in my opinion. GOG will fall sooner or later and right now it seems like it will be later. I'll simply spend my money on DRM free games elsewhere in the mean time.

Offline FutureSuture

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
« Reply #14 on: 15. February 2014, 09:04:33 »
The request for GOG to add Linux versions of games that already have them to its repetoire is now back in 5th place! Good job! 4th place isn't far off now!