Author Topic: Manjaro LTS kernel with ck1(BFS)+BFQ patchsets (64bit/32bit/32bit-PAE)  (Read 30087 times)

Offline Rob

• Core Team
  • Alias: Korrode
  • Branch: Unstable
  • Desktop: Xfce+Compiz
  • GPU Card: nVidia GTX560Ti
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Kernel: linux314 x64
  • Skill: Advanced
Re: Manjaro Kernel with ck1(BFS)+BFQ patchsets (incl. binary repo)
« Reply #105 on: 23. December 2013, 06:56:17 »
Are you guys running
Code: [Select]
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfgimmediately after updating grub (before rebooting)?

Offline philm

• Core Team
    • Manjaro Linux
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • GPU Card: Geforce GTX 650
  • Kernel: Maintainer - so all ;)
  • Skill: Guru
« Reply #106 on: 25. December 2013, 11:20:35 »
I had several issues with newer grub version than 2.00.5086-1 so I reverted it back. I need more info on this matter to fix it. Also I've to wait before followed error is fixed by upstream.

Offline philm

• Core Team
    • Manjaro Linux
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • GPU Card: Geforce GTX 650
  • Kernel: Maintainer - so all ;)
  • Skill: Guru
« Reply #107 on: 25. December 2013, 15:26:20 »
Please post your feedback for grub 2.02-beta2 here.

Offline Rob

• Core Team
Re: Manjaro 3.10 kernel with ck1(BFS)+BFQ patchsets (64bit/32bit/32bit-PAE)
« Reply #108 on: 23. January 2014, 09:27:23 »
I am maintaining the repo again, but now it is only the kernel version I run myself on my main workstation, which is usually the most recent LTS kernel (currently 3.10).

A 32bit-PAE kernel remains available.

People who want a newer kernel can use repo-ck, which appears to track mainline.
Though, my kernels still offer the benefits of full Manjaro compliance, unlike repo-ck, meaning you can do stuff like build ISO's with manjaroiso, because the aufs support is intact.
« Last Edit: 23. January 2014, 09:32:20 by Korrode »

Offline schpankme

• Held Mitglied
  • High Carb / Low Fat / Vegan
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: Qt..i3..OpenRC..Eudev
  • GPU Card: GTX 780 Ti
  • GPU driver: video-nouveau
  • Kernel: 4.4.45-1 x64
Re: Manjaro LTS kernel with ck1(BFS)+BFQ patchsets (64bit/32bit/32bit-PAE)
« Reply #109 on: 06. February 2014, 06:32:07 »
... The most recent LTS kernel is provided

Can the LTS kernel be used in the Netbook Edition?

Offline Rob

• Core Team
« Reply #110 on: 06. February 2014, 10:14:53 »
Can the LTS kernel be used in the Netbook Edition?

Sure, so long as 3.10 supports your netbook hardware, which it probably does.

Though, the '-netbook' kernel i provide as part of the Netbook Edition already includes BFS & BFQ.

Offline schpankme

• Held Mitglied
  • High Carb / Low Fat / Vegan
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: Qt..i3..OpenRC..Eudev
  • GPU Card: GTX 780 Ti
  • Kernel: 4.4.45-1 x64
« Reply #111 on: 06. February 2014, 10:25:23 »
... Sure
... the '-netbook' kernel already includes BFS & BFQ

I agree, those schedulers make it very nice.  My question is in response to another who was concerned that his 2gb laptop, required 64 bit, to get maximum performance.   :o

Offline excalibur1234

• Global Moderator
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: net-minimal + LXQt
  • Kernel: 4.6
  • Skill: Intermediate
« Reply #112 on: 28. February 2014, 15:04:13 »
I am maintaining the repo again, but now it is only the kernel version I run myself on my main workstation, which is usually the most recent LTS kernel (currently 3.10).
People who want a newer kernel can use repo-ck, which appears to track mainline.
Though, my kernels still offer the benefits of full Manjaro compliance, unlike repo-ck, meaning you can do stuff like build ISO's with manjaroiso, because the aufs support is intact.
ok. i checked out the repo-ck kernel. thanks for the tip.

it was not always very clear what i needed to do in order to get the repo-ck kernel running. therefore, i wrote simple instructions how to do it:

edit: because of rob's work of integrating BFS and BFQ into the manjaro kernel (look here: http://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=5842.msg104311#msg104311), the repo-ck kernel is probably NOT beneficial for you anymore. i recommend to not use the repo-ck kernel unless you know precisely what you are doing!

1.) the the ck repository: open /etc/pacman.conf as root and add these lines at the bottom:
[repo-ck]
Server = http://repo-ck.com/$arch

2. sign the key for the ck repository:
sudo pacman-key -r 5EE46C4C
check, whether the key is from "graysky", then continue with
sudo pacman-key --lsign-key 5EE46C4C

3. open pamac. do not search, but go to the "sources" tab and choose repo-ck. there, you see a list with wireless drivers, gpu drivers and kernels (just look at the version number to differentiate between them).
use the table on this page:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Repo-ck
to know, which kernel version to install. (in the next sentence .... is your kernel version representing optimizations for your cpu)
install these package:
linux-ck-....
linux-ck-....-headers
nvidia-ck-....
virtualbox-ck-host-modules-.....

when you are not sure, which kernel modules you need to install, search for "linux31" in pamac and look, which kernel parameters you have installed for your current kernel.

4. update grub:
sudo update-grub

5. reboot. when you see grub, choose the ck kernel to boot.

6. i recommend to least at least one manjaro kernel installed in addition to the ck kernel. just to be sure to have an always working kernel you can boot, in case something goes wrong.
« Last Edit: 09. March 2014, 18:20:49 by excalibur1234 »
Need more information? Search here:   Manjaro Forum   |   Manjaro Wiki   |   Arch Wiki

Offline QtAndNice

• Jr. Mitglied
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: KDE 5.x.(current stable)
  • GPU Card: nVidia GTX 760
  • Kernel: 4.1.18-1-lts-tomoyo (AUR)
  • Skill: Novice
« Reply #113 on: 28. February 2014, 23:43:59 »
ok. i checked out the repo-ck kernel. thanks for the tip.

it was not always very clear what i needed to do in order to get the repo-ck kernel running. therefore, i wrote simple instructions how to do it:

1.) the the ck repository: open /etc/pacman.conf as root and add these lines at the bottom:
[repo-ck]
Server = http://repo-ck.com/$arch

2. sign the key for the ck repository:
sudo pacman-key -r 5EE46C4C
check, whether the key is from "graysky", then continue with
sudo pacman-key --lsign-key 5EE46C4C

3. open pamac. do not search, but go to the "sources" tab and choose repo-ck. there, you see a list with wireless drivers, gpu drivers and kernels (just look at the version number to differentiate between them).
use the table on this page:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Repo-ck
to know, which kernel version to install. (in the next sentence .... is your kernel version representing optimizations for your cpu)
install these package:
linux-ck-....
linux-ck-....-headers
nvidia-ck-....
virtualbox-ck-host-modules-.....

when you are not sure, which kernel modules you need to install, search for "linux31" in pamac and look, which kernel parameters you have installed for your current kernel.

4. update grub:
sudo update-grub

5. reboot. when you see grub, choose the ck kernel to boot.

6. i recommend to least at least one manjaro kernel installed in addition to the ck kernel. just to be sure to have an always working kernel you can boot, in case something goes wrong.
thx mate

Works like a charm
i use the repo-ck/linux-ck-piledriver for my CPU

Offline excalibur1234

• Global Moderator
good to see i could help you.

it works for me very well, too.
i use the ....ck-nehalem versions from repo-ck repository.

i am not sure, whether my system feels faster because it really is faster (under heavy loads) or whether it is the placebo effect...
« Last Edit: 01. March 2014, 01:00:54 by excalibur1234 »
Need more information? Search here:   Manjaro Forum   |   Manjaro Wiki   |   Arch Wiki

Offline QtAndNice

• Jr. Mitglied
  • Desktop: KDE 5.x.(current stable)
  • GPU Card: nVidia GTX 760
  • Kernel: 4.1.18-1-lts-tomoyo (AUR)
i am not sure, whether my system feels faster because it really is faster (under heavy loads) or whether it is the placebo effect...

definetily not placebo effect, i could finally play FarCry3 on wine with a bit better frame rate than usual, also FL Studio 11 using wine has better responsiveness even without the ASIO library.

as long as you use this kernel for desktop system, it's a good choice because of the very low latencies.
But for server systems (e.g. oracle, debian) with large data throughput it's not so good because of the higher set interrupt timer.
look here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=130422 very nicely benchmarked against Arch's stock kernel

Offline excalibur1234

• Global Moderator
definetily not placebo effect, i could finally play FarCry3 on wine with a bit better frame rate than usual, also FL Studio 11 using wine has better responsiveness even without the ASIO library.

as long as you use this kernel for desktop system, it's a good choice because of the very low latencies.
But for server systems (e.g. oracle, debian) with large data throughput it's not so good because of the higher set interrupt timer.
look here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=130422 very nicely benchmarked against Arch's stock kernel
thanks for the great link. really interesting to read despite me not understanding everything...

Offline Rob

• Core Team
Now in the Unstable branch, both BFS and BFQ are in the Manjaro kernels as default.

So there's no longer a reason for this repo to exist. :)
Once the BFS+BFQ kernels hit Stable, i will be taking this repo down. You'll want to remove it from your /etc/pacman.conf
Open the file as root in a text editor and near the end you'll find a section that looks like this:
[linux-ck1bfq]
SigLevel = Optional TrustAll
Server = http://www.paradoxcomputers.com.au/manjaro/repo/$repo/$arch
Just delete that section and save the file.

Later EDIT: BFS never made it into the main kernels, so this repo will continue.
« Last Edit: 30. March 2014, 10:59:25 by Rob »

Offline oli

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • Desktop: Openbox, Pekwm
  • GPU Card: Intel core processor integrated graphics controller
  • GPU driver: Free
  • Kernel: 3.18 or 3.16
I have been trying to get the pae kernel working and for some reason it does not. It gets as far as about half way through booting up, probably around the point where it mounts the file systems and then it crashes and restarts the boot up process. I have intel core i5 560 M processor with integrated graphics.
The reason I want to install the kernel is so that all my RAM will be detected... I installed the ck-nehelam kernel from repo-ck without a problem, but this still only detects 3Gb of RAM. I also tried recompiling the 3.10 kernel with HIGHMEM64G enabled, but that didn't work either.

I don't really have a clue why it is not working, I am still quite new at this, anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Didn't we already pass that same stack of rocks twice?

Offline Rob

• Core Team
I have been trying to get the pae kernel working and for some reason it does not. It gets as far as about half way through booting up, probably around the point where it mounts the file systems and then it crashes and restarts the boot up process. I have intel core i5 560 M processor with integrated graphics.
The reason I want to install the kernel is so that all my RAM will be detected... I installed the ck-nehelam kernel from repo-ck without a problem, but this still only detects 3Gb of RAM. I also tried recompiling the 3.10 kernel with HIGHMEM64G enabled, but that didn't work either.

I don't really have a clue why it is not working, I am still quite new at this, anyone got any ideas?
Hmm not really, it boots fine for me.
I assume other PAE enabled kernels in other distros boot on your hardware?