Author Topic: Manjaro LTS kernel with ck1(BFS)+BFQ patchsets (64bit/32bit/32bit-PAE)  (Read 30693 times)

Offline Rob

• Core Team
  • Alias: Korrode
  • Branch: Unstable
  • Desktop: Xfce+Compiz
  • GPU Card: nVidia GTX560Ti
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Kernel: linux314 x64
  • Skill: Advanced
Re: Manjaro Kernel with ck1(BFS)+BFQ patchsets (incl. binary repo)
« Reply #60 on: 03. November 2013, 19:01:11 »
Thanks will do, just trying to figure out which section of the forum would be appropriate?  ???
If i were to guess i'd say the Technical (Issues and) Assistance - Kernel & Hardware section... or otherwise maybe the Programming section, but ofc it's not actual coding you'll be doing, just configuring and compiling.

Offline mips

• Held Mitglied
  • Valkyrja
  • Branch: Testing
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • GPU Card: GTX 960
  • GPU driver: video-nvidia
  • Kernel: 3.16
  • Skill: Intermediate
« Reply #61 on: 04. November 2013, 08:52:05 »
It's always a worry, although it is actually possible to prove BFQ advantage over CFQ.
Just start a large file transfer to/from a drive that also has a kernel compiling on it and try to open some big apps or start playing video or something and compare. BFQ can yield some amazing results in these kind of circumstances.
Not that I recommend people do large transfers, compile a kernel and then try to launch apps or play video all off the one drive at once - but it's a good way to prove that there is real differences from CFQ. A more realistic situation would be say just launching a big app while pacman is half way through installing packages - the effect of BFQ would be less profound than the earlier example, but a notable improvement nonetheless.

I've first hand put my system in positions where VLC can't even get a good buffer of a video file it's trying play and jolts & stutters on CFQ, but plays fine on BFQ.

Ok, this does make a difference!

Doing a 30GB ftp upload to my desktop, running a movie in smplayer with filters active, got chromium open with two tabs, thunar running, leafpad running, htop running, two terminals going and compiling LXqt from AUR to try out, dd'ing the new manjarobox iso to usb.

Things are very responsive even with the cpu at 100% utilisation!!!

And to think this is an old single core 1.4Ghz Celeron laptop from 2005 (OC'ed to 1.87GHz), I'm impressed!

Thanks Korrode!
« Last Edit: 04. November 2013, 09:06:17 by mips »

Offline mips

• Held Mitglied
  • Valkyrja
« Reply #62 on: 05. November 2013, 08:50:44 »
Code: [Select]
[xxxx@obelix ~]$ sudo pacman -Syy
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                     114.7 KiB  88.8K/s 00:01 [######################] 100%
 extra                   1615.1 KiB   101K/s 00:16 [######################] 100%
 community               2022.4 KiB   101K/s 00:20 [######################] 100%
 multilib                 108.5 KiB  90.8K/s 00:01 [######################] 100%
 infinality-bundle          7.0 KiB   132K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 infinality-bundle.sig    287.0   B  0.00B/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
error: infinality-bundle-multilib.db appears to be truncated: 17312/0 bytes
error: failed retrieving file 'infinality-bundle-multilib.db' from www.paradoxcomputers.com.au : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Founderror: failed to update infinality-bundle-multilib (download library error)

Offline Rob

• Core Team
« Reply #63 on: 05. November 2013, 09:10:03 »
Seems your repos in /etc/pacman.conf have somehow gotten messed up. Open the file in a text editor, scroll to the bottom. Look at the first post for what my repo settings are meant to look like.

EDIT: Keep in mind I use the $repo variable in the URL line, so if you change the name of the repo to something other than "linux-ck1bfq" you also need to replace the "$repo" on the URL line with "linux-ck1bfq".
« Last Edit: 05. November 2013, 10:07:16 by Korrode »

Offline mips

• Held Mitglied
  • Valkyrja
« Reply #64 on: 05. November 2013, 10:44:46 »
Hmm, I used the echo command you provided to amend the pacman.conf file. When I opened it now I did not see you repo in there. Anyway I deleted the infinality repos and manually added your repo. All is good now, gonna try this kernel on my desktop now.

Thx

Offline Rob

• Core Team
« Reply #65 on: 10. November 2013, 01:52:43 »
Nvidia module users:

Phil's just bumped the nvidia module to version 331.20 in the Manjaro Testing branch, which means soon it will hit stable. When it does people using the repo will briefly be unable to update, however I already have the new nvidia module packages built and ready to go, i'll update the repo in a couple of keystrokes the second i see Phil roll the update to the Stable branch.
So when you find you can't perform a system update, you just need to wait a little while and try again.
(Or you can follow instructions in the first post for temporarily swapping to a different kernel)

Manjaro Testing branch users:
As of today people using the Testing branch will find themselves unable to successfully perform a system update.

People using this repo with the Testing branch can either wait a few days for the updates to hit the Stable branch, at which point i'll also update the repo, or can run the following command for their kernel version to get the new module now and then update their system:

linux310 users
wget http://www.paradoxcomputers.com.au/manjaro/repo/linux-ck1bfq/"$(uname -m)"/linux310-ck1bfq-nvidia-331.20-1-"$(uname -m)".pkg.tar.xz && sudo pacman -Ud linux310-ck1bfq-nvidia-331.20-1-"$(uname -m)".pkg.tar.xz && sudo pacman -Syu
linux311 users
wget http://www.paradoxcomputers.com.au/manjaro/repo/linux-ck1bfq/"$(uname -m)"/linux311-ck1bfq-nvidia-331.20-1-"$(uname -m)".pkg.tar.xz && sudo pacman -Ud linux311-ck1bfq-nvidia-331.20-1-"$(uname -m)".pkg.tar.xz && sudo pacman -Syu
linux310-pae users
wget http://www.paradoxcomputers.com.au/manjaro/repo/linux-ck1bfq/"$(uname -m)"/linux310-pae-ck1bfq-nvidia-331.20-1-"$(uname -m)".pkg.tar.xz && sudo pacman -Ud linux310-pae-ck1bfq-nvidia-331.20-1-"$(uname -m)".pkg.tar.xz && sudo pacman -Syu
linux311-pae users
wget http://www.paradoxcomputers.com.au/manjaro/repo/linux-ck1bfq/"$(uname -m)"/linux311-pae-ck1bfq-nvidia-331.20-1-"$(uname -m)".pkg.tar.xz && sudo pacman -Ud linux311-pae-ck1bfq-nvidia-331.20-1-"$(uname -m)".pkg.tar.xz && sudo pacman -Syu

Offline john29

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Branch: Manjaro unstable
  • Desktop: Arch + Manjaro CINNAMON
  • GPU Card: ATi HD 7850 pcs +
  • GPU driver: open-source drivers
  • Kernel: manjaro + Arch Kernel 4.3-ck 4.2 x86-x64
« Reply #66 on: 11. November 2013, 23:09:24 »
Hi   Korrode when will there be kernel3.12 try kernel 3.11,but kernel3.12 better with my hd4850 card

Offline Rob

• Core Team
« Reply #67 on: 13. November 2013, 19:14:20 »
Hi   Korrode when will there be kernel3.12 try kernel 3.11,but kernel3.12 better with my hd4850 card
Well, the day I start supporting 3.12 is the day I stop supporting 3.11, which won't be any time real soon.
At the least, I won't even start considering it until Arch decides 3.12 is reliable enough to replace 3.11 in their stable branch.
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/core/x86_64/linux/

-----------------

Rolled the updated nvidia modules into the repo just now.
Updated 3.10 and 3.11 kernels will come this weekend, perhaps sooner.
« Last Edit: 13. November 2013, 19:17:04 by Korrode »

Offline caspian

• Neuling
« Reply #68 on: 18. November 2013, 13:00:49 »
Ah i'm sorry but I actually don't. i've deleted linux39 build files and packages off my systems and my webserver.

Maybe other users of this repo who install the header packages can check their /var/cache/pacman/pkg/ for a cached linux39-ck1bfq-headers

If not I guess you're stuck with normal linux38.

Does anyone have linux39-ck1bfq-headers in their pacman cache? If someone does could you please help me, because my laptop randomly reboots on anything > 3.9 and 3.8 is just too slow.

Offline Rob

• Core Team
« Reply #69 on: 18. November 2013, 13:05:11 »
Does anyone have linux39-ck1bfq-headers in their pacman cache? If someone does could you please help me, because my laptop randomly reboots on anything > 3.9 and 3.8 is just too slow.

I'll come up with something for you caspian. Check back here shortly.

Offline Rob

• Core Team
« Reply #70 on: 18. November 2013, 13:11:00 »
you run i686 or x86_64?

It's good to fill in the forum profile details so such info is readily available. :)

Offline Rob

• Core Team
« Reply #71 on: 18. November 2013, 14:52:13 »
caspian, download and extract the linux39-ck1bfq source package here:
http://www.paradoxcomputers.com.au/manjaro/packages/linux39-ck1bfq-3.9.11-1.src.tar.gz

Open a terminal in the extracted folder and run makepkg -csir and it will build and install the kernel and the headers package.

It will take quite some time to build.

Offline caspian

• Neuling
« Reply #72 on: 19. November 2013, 09:15:12 »
you run i686 or x86_64?

It's good to fill in the forum profile details so such info is readily available. :)

Sorry for the late reply: it's x86_64...
« Last Edit: 19. November 2013, 09:24:58 by caspian »

Offline FadeMind

• Support Team
    • gravatar
  • Branch: Arch x86_64
  • Desktop: Plasma 5
  • GPU Card: Intel + NVIDIA
  • GPU driver: Intel + NVIDIA
  • Kernel: linux

Offline mips

• Held Mitglied
  • Valkyrja
« Reply #74 on: 28. November 2013, 20:08:38 »
Seeing as 3.11 is coming to an end will you be doing 3.12 in the near future?