Author Topic: Manjaro LTS kernel with ck1(BFS)+BFQ patchsets (64bit/32bit/32bit-PAE)  (Read 30102 times)

Offline Rob

• Core Team
  • Alias: Korrode
  • Branch: Unstable
  • Desktop: Xfce+Compiz
  • GPU Card: nVidia GTX560Ti
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Kernel: linux314 x64
  • Skill: Advanced
The most recent LTS kernel is provided here.
For mainline ck1 enabled kernels, check out repo-ck:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/repo-ck

----------------------

Disclaimer: Although these technologies are long tested and much care is taken with packaging to ensure no errors or conflicts, I accept no liability for any issues caused through using these packages and/or repository. Use at your own risk.

The ck1 and BFQ patchsets combined provide optimisations, including a CPU load scheduler (BFS) and an I/O scheduler (BFQ), each designed to improve desktop system performance and especially responsiveness even when under heavy loads.

64bit, 32bit and 32bit-PAE kernels are available.
You are encouraged to keep other kernels installed on your system in addition to this one, in case there's any issue.
These packages are based on the PKGBUILDs of official Manjaro packages, so they should retain all Manjaro customisations.

Binary Packages/Repo:
To use the binary packages add this repo to the end of your /etc/pacman.conf
Code: [Select]
[linux-ck1bfq]
SigLevel = Optional TrustAll
Server = http://www.paradoxcomputers.com.au/manjaro/repo/$repo/$arch

If you're unsure how to do this, one way is to open a terminal and paste this command into it:
echo "[linux-ck1bfq]" | sudo tee -a /etc/pacman.conf ; echo "SigLevel = Optional TrustAll" | sudo tee -a /etc/pacman.conf ; echo "Server = http://www.paradoxcomputers.com.au/manjaro/repo/\$repo/\$arch" | sudo tee -a /etc/pacman.conf ; sudo pacman -Sy
Then the packages will be available through pacman -S and any frontends.

Do:
pacman -Sl linux-ck1bfq to see the names of the packages. Install the kernel package. Install the headers and nvidia module packages if you need them.

Source Packages:
>> Here <<

Please note that improving boot times is not a goal of this kernel, and some users actually report a slightly longer boot time with BFQ.

IMPORTANT NOTE for people using the nvidia module package:
During periods when nvidia-utils has been updated to a newer upstream version in the official Manjaro repos but the module in this package repo has not yet been updated to the corresponding version, you will not be able to successfully pacman -Syu. This period is usually very brief.
If this occurs you have 2 options:
1. Wait until this repo is updated also before performing pacman -Syu
- or -
2. Swap to another kernel for now, and swap back later once this repo is updated. To do this boot to a different kernel, remove the ck1bfq-nvidia package, and then you can pacman -Syu. Re-install the ck1bfq-nvidia package later once it's been updated.
« Last Edit: 23. January 2014, 09:42:39 by Korrode »

Offline Ayceman

• Core Team
  • Security Chief :P
  • Branch: stable, unstable
  • Desktop: Xfce
  • GPU Card: GTX780/HD3000/AMD8400
  • GPU driver: Nvidia/Intel/Catalyst
  • Kernel: latest stable+lts (64)
Re: Linux Kernel with ck1(BFS)+BFQ patchsets (incl. binary repo)
« Reply #1 on: 01. August 2013, 10:13:16 »
The custom repo and the update worked just fine.

Keep up the good work :)

Offline Rob

• Core Team
« Reply #2 on: 01. August 2013, 13:06:14 »
3.10.x version will appear soon.
First I need access to Manjaro stock PKGBUILD's to be restored. I was getting to them via:
https://manjaro.org/packages-sources/
But that seems to be down since that recent couple of days of website downtime.

Offline ringo

• Held Mitglied
  • www.manjaro-nl.org
    • Manjaro Belgium + forum
  • Branch: unsourced
  • Desktop: xfce
  • GPU Card: Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT (acer 23inch)
  • GPU driver: Free*
  • Kernel: linux kernel
  • Skill: Novice
« Reply #3 on: 02. August 2013, 10:19:20 »
thre is an repo-ck repository?  is lot easier too and no own build :)
and has the kernel module for nvidia too
Dutch go the dutch site :)

Offline Rob

• Core Team
« Reply #4 on: 03. August 2013, 23:14:33 »
thre is an repo-ck repository?  is lot easier too and no own build :)
and has the kernel module for nvidia too
Yep I know of the repo-ck repository for Arch, certainly it's an option, my only concerns are:
1. The repo-ck operater has no incentive to keep the nvidia module's version in-line with whatever version is currently in Manjaro stable, which could result in long periods where no nvidia module package is available that properly matches the nvidia-utils version in Manjaro.
2. Any Manjaro (and possibly Arch) specific kernel configuration won't be included. (Example: the 3.9.11 Manjaro PKGBUILD includes patches for aufs3 and a few patches from Gentoo to address a number of items. AFAIK the kernel from repo-ck don't include these.)

Offline tarkin88

• Neuling
« Reply #5 on: 07. August 2013, 02:58:12 »
in this repo have the  kernel for specific amd fam10  like repo-ck ? or just a generic ck kenel? i want to test it but my laptop is busy now, i'll install manjaro on weekend and ever install the repo-ck  but this kernel have a manjaro patches :3
Sorry for my bad english :/

Offline eskaini

• Security Team
  • I eat deleted accounts
« Reply #6 on: 07. August 2013, 09:10:54 »
Cool. Will try this weekend. Long time i borked up a computer  8)

Offline Rob

• Core Team
« Reply #7 on: 07. August 2013, 11:47:13 »
in this repo have the  kernel for specific amd fam10  like repo-ck ?
No, it's just base x86_64 and i686 compliant kernels.
Exactly the Manjaro kernel (including .config) except with the 2 patchsets.

i want to test it but my laptop is busy now, i'll install manjaro on weekend and ever install the repo-ck  but this kernel have a manjaro patches :3
Well I can tell you that, at the moment, the patches included by Manjaro are related to specific usage scenarios. Unless your system/setup is one of those specific cases, you won't lose anything running a kernel from repo-ck.

The Manjaro patches for the current 3.9.11 kernel are:
  # add Gentoo patches
  patch -Np1 -i "${srcdir}/1510_af_key-fix-info-leaks-in-notify-messages.patch"
  patch -Np1 -i "${srcdir}/1511_ipv6-ip6_sk_dst_check-must-not-assume-ipv6-dst.patch"
  patch -Np1 -i "${srcdir}/1600_CVE-2013-4125-ipv6-fix-fib6_add_rt2node-BUG.patch"
  patch -Np1 -i "${srcdir}/1700_enable-thinkpad-micled.patch"
  patch -Np1 -i "${srcdir}/2700_ThinkPad-30-brightness-control-fix.patch"

# add aufs3 support
  patch -Np1 -i "${srcdir}/aufs${_basekernel}-${_aufs}.patch"
  patch -Np1 -i "${srcdir}/aufs3-base.patch"
  patch -Np1 -i "${srcdir}/aufs3-kbuild.patch"
  patch -Np1 -i "${srcdir}/aufs3-loopback.patch"
  patch -Np1 -i "${srcdir}/aufs3-proc_map.patch"
  patch -Np1 -i "${srcdir}/aufs3-standalone.patch"

If it doesn't look like any of it applies to you (aufs3, the hardware mentioned in some of the Gentoo patch names, etc.) then just use repo-ck kernel if you want the CPU specific optimisations.
« Last Edit: 07. August 2013, 13:21:53 by Korrode »

Offline babania2215

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: cinnamon
  • GPU Card: intel hd
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: linux313-x64
  • Skill: Intermediate
« Reply #8 on: 07. August 2013, 13:50:40 »
Well, i find this bfs to be slower, a little longer boot time and no speed up. I tried it on ubuntu some time ago, now i tried it from AUR "linux-ck", but it never gives me positive results.

Offline babania2215

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • Desktop: cinnamon
  • GPU Card: intel hd
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: linux313-x64
« Reply #9 on: 07. August 2013, 16:17:54 »
Long time ago, when mankind just begun walking on 2 legs, and there was 2.xxxxx kernel, bfs gave some responsiveness to the desktop, because that old kernel was young and very little optimized, but now with 3.x kernels i find this scheduler useless. Maybe it will give a bit of speed under specific workload, but in general usage, there is much more important things, that needs to be fixed, and holds linux speed down as for now.
« Last Edit: 07. August 2013, 16:21:40 by babania2215 »

Offline Judge_Dredd

• Neuling
  • Desktop: OpenBox
  • GPU Card: nvidia gtx 670
  • Kernel: linux39-x64
« Reply #10 on: 07. August 2013, 23:12:03 »
Been using this kernel for a couple of days now, and I have to say, I like it.

Mostly a gamer with linux steam and using wine & steam for the non-linux games.

Definite improvement in the games where I wasn't hitting 60fps, it's a fair bit smoother now.  The openbox desktop feels a lot sharper, everything is a lot more responsive, and keyboard input is notably improved.   It's bizzare,  but I have the uptime on my conky config, and the seconds counter is just razor sharp now. You have to try to believe it.   It's not an order of magnitude better or anything like that, but it is noticeable the difference it makes. I can't give any definitive results, it's more my "feeling" - but this is a great improvement.   My machine  16gb ram,  4ghz amd 8530, nvidia 670 is in no way a slouch, so it wasn't that

I was about to do apply the patches to a vanilla kernel to test out as I've always been interested in the BFS patches but not never got around to it, so thanks for doing this

Hoping we'll see the patched 3.10 kernel soon....

Big respect to the chief who packaged this up !!!!

Offline Rob

• Core Team
« Reply #11 on: 11. August 2013, 16:58:18 »
If anyone wants to run this with the Manajro Testing branch and needs a version 325.15 nvidia module, the binary package is already available via:
wget http://www.paradoxcomputers.com.au/manjaro/repo/linux-ck1bfq/"$(uname -m)"/linux39-ck1bfq-nvidia-325.15-1-"$(uname -m)".pkg.tar.xz && sudo pacman -Ud linux39-ck1bfq-nvidia-325.15-1-"$(uname -m)".pkg.tar.xz && rm linux39-ck1bfq-nvidia-325.15-1-"$(uname -m)".pkg.tar.xz && sudo pacman -Syu
To revert this and return to the version 319.32 module you should be able to just:
sudo pacman -S linux39-ck1bfq-nvidia
Also, if i'm not available for a while to update the repo database with the new version module when the Stable branch gets the nvidia driver version update, this can be used to get the update kernel module package then too... if you really can't wait for me to come online and update the repo database. :P

Source package here.
« Last Edit: 11. August 2013, 17:13:56 by Korrode »

Offline Rob

• Core Team
Re: Manjaro Kernel with ck1(BFS)+BFQ patchsets (incl. binary repo)
« Reply #12 on: 25. August 2013, 19:04:08 »
I held off on 3.10.x for a number of reasons, but finally it's up.
3.10.9 kernel with BFS+BFQ patchsets is now in the repo.

3.9.11 kernel remains available, and will be for quite some time.

To ensure your repo db's are up-to-date and list the names of available packages do:
sudo pacman -Syl linux-ck1bfq
Remember you will not be automatically updated from linux39 to linux310, if you want to goto the 3.10.x series you need to install the packages with pacman -S or your chosen pacman frontend/gui.

Offline Rob

• Core Team
« Reply #13 on: 26. August 2013, 07:16:43 »
Well, i find this bfs to be slower, a little longer boot time and no speed up. I tried it on ubuntu some time ago, now i tried it from AUR "linux-ck", but it never gives me positive results.
Long time ago, when mankind just begun walking on 2 legs, and there was 2.xxxxx kernel, bfs gave some responsiveness to the desktop, because that old kernel was young and very little optimized, but now with 3.x kernels i find this scheduler useless. Maybe it will give a bit of speed under specific workload, but in general usage, there is much more important things, that needs to be fixed, and holds linux speed down as for now.
I wasn't going to respond to either praise nor criticism of BFS & BFQ in this thread, but after being booted to a non-BFS+BFQ kernel for a few hours last night I feel the need to say that I absolutely notice a difference in responsiveness between normal (CFS+CFQ) and BFS+BFQ kernels.

Last night, for reasons I won't bother explaining, I had to be booted to a non-BFS+BFQ kernel for a few hours. While on the 'normal' kernel I attempted to do the sort of thing I usually do happily on my system: I wanted to encode a DVD to h264+AAC, play a 3D game, play media and be compiling 2 kernels (It was both the 64bit and 32bit 3.10.9 BFS+BFQ kernels that hit my repo last night), all at the same time... and still have a bunch of web browsers open with a lot of tabs too.
(Admittedly the game's data files are on a different HDD than the one where media was being encoded and kernels were being compiled.)

I don't know what sort of computing you do, maybe you mostly only do one CPU or one I/O intensive task at a time, but BFS+BFQ, for me at least, is really well worth it.

I will say that, in general, i think BFQ offers a more noteworthy difference over the normal I/O scheduler than BFS does over the normal process scheduler, but I still think there's a worthwhile difference with BFS.
« Last Edit: 26. August 2013, 12:42:26 by Korrode »

Offline masolit

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • Desktop: KDE
  • GPU Card: intel-nVidia
  • Kernel: 3.14.20-1-MANJARO
Re: Manjaro Kernel with ck1(BFS)+BFQ patchsets (incl. binary repo)
« Reply #14 on: 26. August 2013, 19:05:07 »
what about virtualbox-host-modules ?