Author Topic: Manjaro UEFI - Install Guide  (Read 63341 times)

Offline Peso

• Neuling
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • GPU Card: none
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: 3.9.5
  • Skill: Novice
Re: Manjaro UEFI - Install Guide
« Reply #15 on: 08. July 2013, 02:57:28 »
If anybody is still having trouble, I found that the 8.5 release worked. All the other versions failed to boot after install for me...

Offline MaTachi

• Neuling
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: Xfce
  • GPU Card: GTX 660
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Kernel: linux39-x64
  • Skill: Intermediate
« Reply #16 on: 15. July 2013, 10:59:12 »
About a week ago I did an install of Manjaro XFCE 64-bit on my computer with UEFI motherboard using this guide http://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=UEFI_-_Install_Guide. The installation went fine but when I restarted the computer I only got a blinking cursor in top left corner of the screen. I guess it couldn't find GRUB or something. If I booted the USB memory stick with Manjaro on instead, I was able to pick the Manjaro I had installed from the USB's GRUB menu. So the Manjaro install was fine, but the motherboard couldn't find it, I guess.

Since I didn't know how to solve that problem, I did an reinstall using the exact same guide. But instead of manually doing the partitions, I let the install do the partitioning and use my whole SSD. After the reboot it found GRUB as expected and everything have worked fine since then.

Maybe somebody could look into this and perhaps add additional instructions to the wiki guide for people doing manual partitioning, because it seems like something is missing.

Offline philm

• Core Team
    • Manjaro Linux
  • Branch: Unstable
  • GPU Card: Geforce GTX 650
  • Kernel: Maintainer - so all ;)
  • Skill: Guru
« Reply #17 on: 15. July 2013, 19:38:31 »
Only update the installer if it is requested. At the current state it is useless to update the 0.8.6 release since the 0.8.7 installer only works with the current preview images.

Offline philm

• Core Team
    • Manjaro Linux
  • Branch: Unstable
  • GPU Card: Geforce GTX 650
  • Kernel: Maintainer - so all ;)
  • Skill: Guru
« Reply #18 on: 15. July 2013, 20:51:57 »
Some Details which might help too.

Offline n0tion

• Jr. Mitglied
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: Xfce
  • Kernel: linux 3.14-x86
« Reply #19 on: 26. July 2013, 21:25:44 »
I wanted to add something to this tutorial:
This applies if you have installed Manjaro successfully, and are running a dual boot setup i.e. Manjaro and Windows7/8 , and windows is not identified in Grub. I would like to thank @ringo32 before hand, for helping me out through most of this  :D

If you've installed Manjaro through the CLI installer, and grub was installed correctly, reboot and change your motherboard's boot settings through the UEFI Boot tab, make sure your Manjaro install is set as the first boot drive, grub is only installed on Manjaro, so if you went with a separate hard drive for each OS  make sure that the hard drive with Manjaro is the first to boot, other wise you when you boot you will load into windows instead of the Grub menu. Here is an example of the boot tab on an Asrock UEFI motherboard *note: the layout will vary from motherboard manufactures but essentially all have a boot tab where you can set boot priorities

*note: I know it says on the Manjaro wiki that UEFI is only supported through the CLI but I gave the Xfce graphical install a try, just to see what would happen, and it actually worked out fine. So hopefully either option works for you (CLI or Graphical install).

Ok, you should be able to boot into Manjaro but you will notice Windows is not identified.

Follow this wiki https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#Multiboot_2
It will demonstrate how to properly configure grub in a dual boot setup, in order to successfully have the Windows loader appear on the grub menu.

Now, before you follow the wiki, you will have to find the the correct path as well as the UUID for your Windows hard drive
First open up the terminal and enter:
Code: [Select]
blkid
look for windows, here a hint: it should say TYPE = NTFS (or at least on Win7) and just copy the UUID of that drive, make sure not to copy SYSTEM RESERVED because it has a separate UUID but they both should be under the same drive but different partition i.e. sda = sda1 for system reserved and sda2 for win7

To find the correct path for
bootmgfw.efiOpen up the terminal and enter
cd /run/media/"user"/"UUID"/Windows/Boot/EFI/then enter
lssearch for bootmfgw.efi

Or alternatively, you can use Thunar, you should see your Windows drive appear under devices on the left side pane, open it, open the Windows directory, open the Boot directory, and search for bootmgfw.efi , now just copy the path in the address bar in Thunar

Now you can follow the wiki
grub-probe --target=fs_uuid "path"
Remember to leave your Manjaro drive as your primary boot drive as it will have grub and in effect let you boot into windows from the grub menu

*note: When you follow the wiki, only edit /etc/grub.d/40_custom if you have windows and manjaro on the same hard drive, if they're on seperate hard drives, like in my case, you should skip editing /etc/grub.d/40_custom and just  remake /boot/grub/grub.cfg. the windows loader should appear on the grub menu.Though if you do have them on the same drive, then I recommend you do edit the file.
« Last Edit: 26. July 2013, 21:27:45 by n0tion »

Offline kingdomflo

• Neuling
« Reply #20 on: 31. July 2013, 10:30:59 »
Thanks for the tips!!!

but I have two question

- this kind of installation is also good for a dual boot windows 8/manjaro?

- if my UEFI is on OFF (because I can start my windows 8 without UEFI) can I install Manjaro normaly without your install guide and with GRUB and not EFI?

(sorry for my bad english... I'm from Belgium)

Offline ringo

• Held Mitglied
  • www.manjaro-nl.org
    • Manjaro Belgium + forum
  • Branch: unsourced
  • Desktop: xfce
  • GPU Card: Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT (acer 23inch)
  • GPU driver: Free*
  • Kernel: linux kernel
« Reply #21 on: 31. July 2013, 11:01:09 »
me also belgium :p manjaro.be :p

depends also of your disk also i gues., is it gpt or not, you can follow by gparted if your disk is gpt. then you also need 'sudo setup' live-installer just made from gui made an mbr that can be buggy :)
Dutch go the dutch site :)

Offline kingdomflo

• Neuling
« Reply #22 on: 31. July 2013, 11:09:25 »
me also belgium :p manjaro.be :p

depends also of your disk also i gues., is it gpt or not, you can follow by gparted if your disk is gpt. then you also need 'sudo setup' live-installer just made from gui made an mbr that can be buggy :)

ho bah tu pouvais me répondre en francais alors xD
of answer me in nederlands

hooo... i can't use the graphical install?

Offline ringo

• Held Mitglied
  • www.manjaro-nl.org
    • Manjaro Belgium + forum
  • Branch: unsourced
  • Desktop: xfce
  • GPU Card: Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT (acer 23inch)
  • GPU driver: Free*
  • Kernel: linux kernel
« Reply #23 on: 31. July 2013, 11:14:41 »
nen non parle vouse française :)

je moet met GPARTED controleren of je schijf gpt is of mbr, want gpt is een andere ding dan mbr, kan je win8 breken maar ik weet niet of je bent gegaan van win7 naar win8 :)

uefi uit en secureboot uit is altijd goed, als je schijf mbr bevat dan is het goed volgens gparted zal het MSDOS heten.

==

you have to watch it with gparted and check which kind of drive it is. gpt or mbr. if it is gpt it could break your win8 installation. i dont know you have installed win8 over win7 :)
if uefi off and secureboot is always good i dont exspect trouble, if your disc is MBR follow gparted called MSDOS then is ok.
Dutch go the dutch site :)

Offline kingdomflo

• Neuling
« Reply #24 on: 31. July 2013, 12:52:34 »
dank je

ik zal zien

Offline eskaini

• Security Team
  • I eat deleted accounts
« Reply #25 on: 31. July 2013, 13:01:58 »
I have a new laptop with Windows 8 and Manjaro, both UEFI, and all works fine.

If anyone is interested i can write a How-To.

Offline kingdomflo

• Neuling
« Reply #26 on: 31. July 2013, 13:55:04 »

i'm interested!!!
thanks ^^

Offline aaditya

• OpenRC Team
    • My Website
  • Branch: Testing
  • Desktop: Xfce, Openbox
  • GPU Card: Intel HD 4000
  • Kernel: Linux 4.4 x86_64
« Reply #27 on: 18. August 2013, 15:05:02 »
I've just written a formal complaint to Nick Wilson, VP/Managing Director of Hewlett-Packard Company UK & Ireland. I've posted the actual complaint below. Guys, unless you start complaining to the hardware manufacturers implementing this sort of thing, then it could basically kill off Linux on our home systems. No more free operating systems, no more free software, no more open-source communities like ours, and no more Manjaro!

If you have the balls to complain, please post what you said here.

My letter of complaint:
Agree with you Carl!
I am also using a HP Laptop, with same UEFI problems, and I have found a soluion for it.
The solution is to use the rEFInd boot manager, with the trick that you have to replace your bootx64.efi with refind.
I post the guide for Carl and all others who have this issue-
Note- Secure Boot is turned off.
You could donwload and install Refind from http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/index.html using the install.sh script, but for your convinience, i upload my refind files here, just use them :)

Now this is *important-*

Extract the contents of the zip file, go inside the refind folder, and copy the files and folders (2 files, 2 folders)  to-

/boot/efi/EFI/Boot/

*Note-*

My ESP (EFI System Partition) is mounted at /boot/efi.

You need to copy these files to the Boot folder on your EFI partition, and the Boot folder itself will be present inside the EFI folder on the EFI Partition, so take note of it.

Now inside this boot folder, there will already be a file present-
bootx64.efi

You need to **rename** it to  windows.bootx64.efi
Then you should rename refind_x64.efi to bootx64.efi
And you are done!

The bootx64.efi files boot by default, hence rEFInd would now boot by default, and would detect your grubx64.efi(linux-manjaro) and efibootmgfw.efi (windows) automatically.

Note-
a folder Manjaro(name could be some other also) containing the file grubx64.efi should also be present in /boot/efi/EFI/ folder

The rEFInd doesnt contain an icon for manjaro, so i customised one myself from an existing one on the net and upload it here as well. It should be placed in the Manjaro directory referred to earlier.

If anyone has queries/problems please post them here.
Thank You!
« Last Edit: 15. October 2013, 13:38:09 by aaditya »

Offline Debroyston

• Neuling
  • Branch: testing
  • Desktop: lxde
  • GPU Card: nVidia-GT200
  • Kernel: Linux311-x64
« Reply #28 on: 26. August 2013, 18:19:59 »

My son gave me an ACER X3990 which had Windows installed.  I removed Windows and installed Manjaro and it was then that I realised UEFI was mentioned.  Obviously I wanted to use the latest application but do not know what is required.  Is there an easy to understand description somwhere?
Thanking you in anticipation.

Offline neverfox

• Jr. Mitglied
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: Openbox
  • GPU Card: Intel HD 4000
  • Kernel: linux310-x64
« Reply #29 on: 08. September 2013, 03:28:11 »
I seem to be in a slightly different situation than is really addressed by the guides for Manjaro with UEFI. I have a machine with Windows 8 and OpenSUSE 12.3 dual-booting fine. OpenSUSE was able to detect the pre-existing EFI partition, mount it and install GRUB2-EFI. Now I would like to install Manjaro on some unallocated space on my drive. How should I go about this given that I already have a EFI partition with a bootloader on it and I don't want to blow away my other working OSes?