Author Topic: How to change keyboard layout in Cinnamon desktop  (Read 21282 times)

Offline Haiku

• Neuling
    • WriteLinux
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: KDE, Openbox
  • GPU Card: nVidia GeForce GT 540M
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: Linux314-x64
  • Skill: Novice
Re: How to change keyboard layout in Cinnamon desktop
« Reply #15 on: 04. July 2013, 17:12:31 »
Sorry, fa is for Persian. I think Haiku is Japanese.
I think my previous posts made you mistake about it.
No, it's correct Saeed. I'm Persian, "Haiku" is just a simple username :)
I want that switching between English and Persian layouts!
« Last Edit: 04. July 2013, 17:16:01 by Haiku »

Offline rom85

• Neuling
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: Kde4
  • GPU Card: Intel HD Graphics 4000
  • Kernel: 4.1
  • Skill: Advanced
« Reply #16 on: 04. July 2013, 17:57:47 »
Generally, I have the same output on "sudo systemctl status keyboardctl" as Haiku. Does keyboardctl have to be active? I've checked on VM and it is the same but switching works, except saving layout for every separate window, it's the same for whole system.
Now, I'm using setxkbmap -layout "us,ru,ua" -option "grp:alt_shift_toggle"   as workaround but it's pretty weird because I have to switch layouts all the time  without knowing which one is active now. I makes me very confused, sadly.

Offline rom85

• Neuling
« Reply #17 on: 05. July 2013, 15:42:21 »
Which files/folders can I reset to default to have native keyboard switching work? I'm thinking of reinstalling the system but not manjaro now.

Offline kmb42vt

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
    • Just Thinkin'
  • Branch: Stable 64-bit
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • GPU Card: Nvidia GT-430
  • GPU driver: NVIDIA 343.36
  • Kernel: 3.16.7.4-1 (Manjaro 0.8.12)
  • Skill: Intermediate
« Reply #18 on: 09. July 2013, 16:58:31 »
Friends I still have this simple problem of switching keyboard layouts in Cinnamon desktop!
Seriously, no one else uses Cinnamon who has to use 2 layouts for keyboard?

I'm not on my Manjaro setup at the moment but to change your keyboard layout in Cinnamon, open "System Settings" (Cinnamon settings) and click on "Regional Settings". In this window, select the "Layouts" tab. From there you can change the keyboard layout/country and change keyboard options.

Like I said, I'm not on my Manjaro setup but if Cinnamon is correctly installed in Manjaro Gnome/Cinnamon, "Regional Settings" has to be in System Settings (not Gnome "Settings"). Hope this helps.
Circa 2010, Intel Core2 Quad, 8 GB DDR2, 500 GB 7200 HDD, 1.0 TB 5400 storage HDD, GT 430, all Intel chipset (network, on-board video). Standard BIOS (non-EFI) Mutli-boot set up.

Offline rom85

• Neuling
« Reply #19 on: 09. July 2013, 19:33:11 »
kmb42vt, you're right, but doing that gives absolutely no result for switching layout with keyboard. Seems that it has no effect for my system at all. I still can switch it by mouse clicking the flag icon but that is not the solution.

Offline HardyH

• Held Mitglied
  • Branch: N/A
  • Desktop: N/A
  • GPU Card: N/A
  • GPU driver: N/A
  • Kernel: N/A
« Reply #20 on: 09. July 2013, 21:31:12 »
That Cinnamon bastard UI comes with both, Gnome-Control-Center and  Cinnamon-Control-Center, both interfere.....

Offline Haiku

• Neuling
    • WriteLinux
« Reply #21 on: 12. July 2013, 14:02:50 »
I'm not on my Manjaro setup at the moment but to change your keyboard layout in Cinnamon, open "System Settings" (Cinnamon settings) and click on "Regional Settings". In this window, select the "Layouts" tab. From there you can change the keyboard layout/country and change keyboard options.

Like I said, I'm not on my Manjaro setup but if Cinnamon is correctly installed in Manjaro Gnome/Cinnamon, "Regional Settings" has to be in System Settings (not Gnome "Settings"). Hope this helps.
Yes kmb42v, the thing you say is right in there but it just doesn't work and nothing happens by changing it!

Offline Haiku

• Neuling
    • WriteLinux
« Reply #22 on: 12. July 2013, 14:23:28 »
That Cinnamon bastard UI comes with both, Gnome-Control-Center and  Cinnamon-Control-Center, both interfere.....
The beautiful thing is, in the configuration part in Prefrences > Keyboard > Input Sources > Options, it said to use Super+Space to change to your next input source (layout) and that works just fine in the Gnome desktop and by using Super+Space it changes the keyboard layout but it completely doesn't work on Cinnamon.
Also I can change that shortcut by using Gnome Tweak Tool in gnome desktop but that doesn't affect Cinnamon either.
In the Keyboard Shortcuts I can change the keyboard changing layout shortcut but that also just affects gnome desktop and nothing appears to happen in Cinnamon.
The relation between Cinnamon and Gnome in here is so nice, some things you change in Cinnamon doesn't affect Cinnamon but they affect Gnome and vice versa, for example I change my dekstop wallpaper in Gnome but nothing changes there and when I login to Cinnamon desktop my wallpaper was right there on the Cinnamon :D
« Last Edit: 12. July 2013, 14:26:23 by Haiku »

Offline kmb42vt

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
    • Just Thinkin'
« Reply #23 on: 12. July 2013, 17:15:07 »

You're absolutely correct however, the latest version of Cinnamon (1.8) is not a bastard UI in it's true form. As a long time user/tester of Linux Mint, I'm very familiar with the Cinnamon desktop so with sincere respect to the developers of Manjaro/Cinnamon, the implementation of Cinnamon is not right yet. The problem lies in trying to be both Gnome3/gnome-shell and Cinnamon at the same time which simply does not work. Cinnamon has to be the sole desktop/shell without "gnome-shell", "Nautilus" and assoc. dependencies, "gnome-control-center", "gnome-shell-extensions", "gnome-tweak-tool", "mutter" and any other associated "gnome-shell" packages. These cannot be installed. Cinnamon comes with it's own equivalents of these packages and while they can "sort-of" run together in a single desktop environment they're not really compatible.

Ideally, even though both Cinnamon and "gnome-shell" require the basic Gnome 3 technologies to run, they should be separated into two separate editions: One pure Gnome3/shell and the other, pure Cinnamon.

By the way, in the latest pre-release version of Cinnamon, "gnome-session" and "gnome-settings-daemon" have actually been replaced "cinnamon-session" and "cinnamon-settings-daemon" in an effort to make Cinnamon independent of Gnome 3 version changes. This is good because Cinnamon will then be able to run on any new version of Gnome 3 rather than having to be rebuilt each time.

My apologies for going off-topic. I just needed to correct a misunderstanding.
Circa 2010, Intel Core2 Quad, 8 GB DDR2, 500 GB 7200 HDD, 1.0 TB 5400 storage HDD, GT 430, all Intel chipset (network, on-board video). Standard BIOS (non-EFI) Mutli-boot set up.

Offline HardyH

• Held Mitglied
« Reply #24 on: 12. July 2013, 17:18:58 »
So your statement  "The problem lies in trying to be both Gnome3/gnome-shell and Cinnamon at the same time which simply does not work" does not describe a bastard?

Offline kmb42vt

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
    • Just Thinkin'
« Reply #25 on: 12. July 2013, 17:26:10 »
So your statement  "The problem lies in trying to be both Gnome3/gnome-shell and Cinnamon at the same time which simply does not work" does not describe a bastard?

Ah, that it does. I  misinterpreted your comment then. I was just trying to explain that Cinnamon, in and of itself, is much different than the implementation in Manjaro. I got the impression that you may have thought that Cinnamon in Manjaro is the way Cinnamon really was. Sorry about that. :D

Offline HardyH

• Held Mitglied
« Reply #26 on: 12. July 2013, 17:32:11 »
I'm aware that Cinnamon was developed by the Linux Mint team and I appreciate that they are now moving away from the horrible  Gnome 3 components completely .

Offline ivail

• Neuling
  • Desktop: Cinnamon Gnome
  • GPU Card: nVidia gf9600 gso
  • Kernel: linux38-x64
« Reply #27 on: 26. July 2013, 19:36:05 »
Hi all,

The problem still exist after i did all updates from today.
I'm using german keyboard, and geman bulgarian layouts, also from the Tweak tool i set Alt+Shift for switching.

But when I log in to Gnome, Alt+Shift switching works just fine.

That is all :)

Offline Haiku

• Neuling
    • WriteLinux
« Reply #28 on: 06. August 2013, 17:14:02 »
This command somehow does the job for me, not in the best and prefect way 'cause there is no where to see the current using layout and you should just use try and error to figure that out but it is better than nothing:

Code: [Select]
setxkbmap -layout "us,ir" -option "grp:alt_shift_toggle"

Thanks @Culinax and everybody else who helps on this problem (:

Offline Egavas

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
  • Desktop: NET Install > Plasma Desktop
  • GPU Card: ATI Radeon R9 270X
  • Kernel: linux45-x64
« Reply #29 on: 03. December 2013, 11:15:48 »
If someone still has problems with this, here is solution that worked for me:
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/77054/gnome3-cinnamon-set-keyboard-shortcut

I first tried to edit keyboard config files like in openbox, but it didn't work, but editing from dconf solved keyboard layout switching shortcuts.

Cheers!