Author Topic: Switching graphics drivers at boot  (Read 309 times)

Offline malch

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Skill: Novice
Switching graphics drivers at boot
« on: 02. September 2016, 06:01:11 »
I have installed Manjaro Xfce 16.08 onto a fast USB thumb drive and would like to use this on multiple systems.

It works great on my laptop with Intel graphics. In fact, the laptop has a Nvidia GPU too (Bumblebeed) but I have disabled that in the BIOS so let's ignore that wrinkle for the moment.

It also works great on my Intel NUC with HD6000 graphics.

However, it does not boot on either of my Dell desktops with Nvidia GPUs. I can workaround that by booting up on a Intel system and executing:

sudo mhwd -f -i pci video-nvidia

Then I can shutdown, move the thumb to a system with Nvidia graphics and boot the thing nicely.

Of course, I have to issue:

sudo mhwd -f -i pci video-intel

before moving the thumb back to a machine with Intel graphics.

My question is... how to make this more convenient/automatic? A boot menu with options to select Intel or Nvidia graphics drivers would be excellent.
BTW, I do need the Nvidia drivers (versus Nouveau).

Automatic detection would be even nicer but I don't want to make this too complex or fragile.

Please be gentle with me. Although I'm reasonably competent with Linux basics, I have to say my understanding of drivers, bootloaders and grub is very limited.

Offline handy

• Global Moderator
  • Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1-3 & Worker :)
  • GPU Card: intel...
  • GPU driver: open-source
  • Kernel: OpenBSD
  • Skill: Intermediate
Re: Switching graphics drivers at boot
« Reply #1 on: 02. September 2016, 08:16:43 »
Hi malch,

Welcome to the Manjaro community.

You aren't going to do too well posting in this forum (I'm very sorry to say) as it is now considered to be archival.

The official forum can be found here: https://forum.manjaro.org/

& my fairly lonely unofficial forum can be found here: https://www.spiralinear.space/
(Some of us really don't like the new software that the new forum runs on, which is phone/tablet centric.)

The ultimate tyranny in a society is not control
by martial law. It is control by the psychological
manipulation of consciousness, through which reality
is defined so that those who exist within do not even
realize that they are in prison.
  —  Barbara Marciniak