Author Topic: Why there's so many versions of Manjaro?  (Read 2497 times)

Offline nadir

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Skill: Advanced
Re: Why there's so many versions of Manjaro?
« Reply #15 on: 09. May 2016, 20:11:16 »
Oh, and since you brought up Mint, their download page doesn't meet your criteria for not-confusing either: https://linuxmint.com/download.php

Very true (but Manjaro could or should be better than Mint right?  >:D)

For the rest, I was not talking about 32-bit vs 64-bit which is not confusing at all for the newbie ie coming from Windows.

Offline torvic9

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Hello world!
  • Branch: stable
  • Skill: Intermediate
« Reply #16 on: 09. May 2016, 20:12:01 »
Starting with the release 16.06 we have now settings packages. They include skel folders with default theme settings. So you can install the settings and all needed packages to get the same look as you would by installing a precompiled ISO using this DE. We will see how we handle the community editions so people know that they might not can expect the same quality as from the KDE and XFCE editions.
What I would like to see are instructions on how to create these settings packages. I know it's basically just a pkgbuild file with install commands in it, but this would really help everyone who currently tries to build custom ISOs.
i3: i7-5820K | 32 GB | GeForce GTX 960, nvidia | linux44-custom
KDE: i7-920 | 12 GB | GeForce GTS 450, nouveau | linux44
Gnome: Thinkpad X200s | linux41

Offline jonathon

• Core Team
  • Technologist - Teacher - Tea drinker
  • Branch: Unstable
  • Desktop: MATE 1.14
  • GPU Card: Nvidia GTX680M
  • GPU driver: Bumblebee nvidia+intel
  • Kernel: 4.6.0-*-MANJARO x86_64
« Reply #17 on: 09. May 2016, 20:17:47 »
I think the original question has been answered.

Further discussion about manjaro-settings and custom spins would be better done elsewhere.

I'll leave the thread open for now in case anyone has anything to add about the OP. I'll lock it if it starts to go OT.
--
MSI GT70: Core i7-3630QM, 16GB, Nvidia GTX680M, Intel 2230, Manjaro-MATE-amd64-EFI
Lenovo X230: Core i5-3320M, 4GB, Intel HD4000, Intel 6205, Manjaro-MATE-amd64
Dell Studio 1749: Core i5 540, 8GB, ATi HD5650, Intel WLAN, Manjaro-Xfce-amd64
Let's go in the garden; you'll find something waiting.

Offline excalibur1234

• Global Moderator
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: net-minimal + LXQt
  • GPU driver: video-nouveau
  • Kernel: 4.6
« Reply #18 on: 09. May 2016, 20:29:56 »
I might create a new video which I will explain on how to build your own Manjaro-Spin, using the wanted kernel and DE for it real easy. Only thing what you have to do is to install one of our given editions to get a base for building it. We will see when I find time for doing that. I might base it on NET-install live-cd and a harddrive mounted. So even installing Manjaro is not necessary.
hey phil,

when you do that, link to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BxqN326G6o
then, you do not need to explain as much - or you can explain the basics (net installl, etc.) and refer to spatry for all the advanced stuff (DE, packages, etc.)

p.s.: you can also link to spatrys latest manjaro playlist, which explains a lot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gv0cxAjkN0&list=PL426FzyFBwBo_kwxfAwyKCKsviq54SfA0
« Last Edit: 09. May 2016, 20:40:39 by excalibur1234 »
Need more information? Search here:   Manjaro Forum   |   Manjaro Wiki   |   Arch Wiki

Offline nadir

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
« Reply #19 on: 09. May 2016, 20:32:51 »
Starting with the release 16.06 we have now settings packages. They include skel folders with default theme settings. So you can install the settings and all needed packages to get the same look as you would by installing a precompiled ISO using this DE. We will see how we handle the community editions so people know that they might not can expect the same quality as from the KDE and XFCE editions.

That would be a big step forward.

Thanks for the reply.

Offline nadir

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
« Reply #20 on: 09. May 2016, 20:48:03 »
I might create a new video which I will explain on how to build your own Manjaro-Spin, using the wanted kernel and DE for it real easy. Only thing what you have to do is to install one of our given editions to get a base for building it. We will see when I find time for doing that. I might base it on NET-install live-cd and a harddrive mounted. So even installing Manjaro is not necessary.

Wow.
That would be awesome. For teaching purpose.
Though I was not looking to build a "Linux from scratch" (TM) ;-)

But... the purpose of this post was to say that there should be less versions of Manjaro, associated with a  "choose your desktop wizard" That would do the required setup & theming.

Reading here: Change desktop environment? | Antergos Community Forum  https://forum.antergos.com/topic/2072/change-desktop-environment
By the way, how can one have the Antergos DE setups if he wants to change or add more than one DEs?

Good question that it has not a good answer, I’m afraid.
There’s something we wanted to do for a long time… for now, the only thing you can do is check cnchi’s postinstall script, and mimic what’s done there (cnchi/scripts/postinstall.sh)

Antergos should not be far apparently (it works only at install time currently).

Offline nadir

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
« Reply #21 on: 09. May 2016, 21:08:21 »
I actually did, until I found out that being politically incorrect doesn't help with it:)
I like your style  ;D

It's perfectly OK to hate systemd. Do note though that there are other people - not necessarily developers - who like systemd. And many many more people who don't even know what systemd is. And you're not forced to use it.
I know/agree that most people don't give a shit about what a init system is.
But yes, I am actually forced to use it, because I can't spend days on fixing system issues with ie. eudev for my iphone, writing openrc scripts because they don't exists, etc. That's why I installed a systemd version of Manjaro. As a software dev (php, javascript, java, cordova..) I have deliveries to make at the end of the day.
That's why I would give LMDE a try, hoping it is stable & well integrated for a developer use (I hate Ubuntu as much as systemd).

A would say that is it also the responsability of knowledgeable people like you, and the people who answered to this post, to explain why systemd is a bad answer to problem you don't have
("politically correct" style copycat  >:D)

Offline scachemaille

• Held Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Desktop: Plasma 5
  • GPU Card: nVidia GT 330M
  • GPU driver: Nouveau
  • Kernel: 4.8_x64
« Reply #22 on: 09. May 2016, 21:13:08 »
to have more than one DE at the same time with a flawless and polished experiences isn't that easy.
as the DE shares some settings in the home directory, but not all of them, tsome settings for one DE may break the user experience in an other DE, they need a DM and or a WM not all DE works or works well with the same WM than the others. etc. etc. etc.
to arrive to do it manually is possible with testing and tweaking. to do it automatically is not the same.

about pamac and octopi. pamac is gtk apps and octopi is Qt5 app. so they don't have the same user target. octipi for KDE or LXQT and pamac for others. as look more native in their receptive DE. etc.

Offline Esclapion

• Support Team
    • manjaro
  • Desktop: Lxqt
  • GPU Card: GTX 970
  • GPU driver: nonfree
  • Kernel: 4.4.6
« Reply #23 on: 09. May 2016, 21:21:20 »
to have more than one DE at the same time with a flawless and polished experiences isn't that easy.
as the DE shares some settings in the home directory, but not all of them, tsome settings for one DE may break the user experience in an other DE, they need a DM and or a WM not all DE works or works well with the same WM than the others. etc. etc. etc.
to arrive to do it manually is possible with testing and tweaking. to do it automatically is not the same.

about pamac and octopi. pamac is gtk apps and octopi is Qt5 app. so they don't have the same user target. octipi for KDE or LXQT and pamac for others. as look more native in their receptive DE. etc.

Same.

And for the moment, it is rather OpenRC that causes problems. To my knowledge, Antergos (see OP) do not use it.
Venez nous rejoindre sur l'IRC francophone
Patrice - Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent (Asimov)

Offline nadir

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
« Reply #24 on: 09. May 2016, 21:23:03 »
hey phil,
p.s.: you can also link to spatrys latest manjaro playlist, which explains a lot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gv0cxAjkN0&list=PL426FzyFBwBo_kwxfAwyKCKsviq54SfA0

Here he set Manjaro as #1 of Linux Distributions for Beginners 2016!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bztcmykf0Os
Which I believe too. Even though I think that Manjaro Cinnamon is closer to windows, or Manjaro Mate.

Actually you can use Manjaro without never launching any pacman cmdline.

Offline jogger

• Jr. Mitglied
  • Desktop: OpenBox
  • GPU Card: GTX 650
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Kernel: 4.4
  • Skill: Novice
« Reply #25 on: 09. May 2016, 21:24:41 »
another problem with ISOs offering multiple DE/WMs is their growing size. If I know I only want i3, I don't want the download bloated with LXDE, KDE and so on.

Offline jonathon

• Core Team
« Reply #26 on: 09. May 2016, 21:28:33 »
Locking as we've gone well beyond the OP topic.
--
MSI GT70: Core i7-3630QM, 16GB, Nvidia GTX680M, Intel 2230, Manjaro-MATE-amd64-EFI

Offline jonathon

• Core Team
« Reply #27 on: 09. May 2016, 21:56:08 »
That's a strange behavior. Why did you do that?
It's not that important !
It was not a question, more about some general thought, and it was the topic actually of this section.

Are you saving bytes?

Anyway, no problem.

https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=33891.msg277038#msg277038

Ok. I saw it.

Forget it.

I just want to say that you opinion about this being off topic is discutable.

(I know you are just in your role)

Bully a mod into re-opening a topic. Let's see where that goes.
--