Author Topic: Confusion reigns after failure and restore of 4 month old image.  (Read 961 times)

Offline Orbmiser

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Photographer / Techy Ole' Fart
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: Netrunner Plasma 5
  • GPU Card: Ati 4350 Dual Displays
  • GPU driver: Free Open Driver
  • Kernel: 4.1.16-1
  • Skill: Novice
Catastrophic hardware Failure and Me with only a 4 month old images for my Win7 and Netrunner backed up.
Updates for the time lag required 800+ packages 1.4gb in size. And 2.5hrs to complete on 2mb wifi connection.

1) Conky stopped working with my Adele Flat theme. Now seams to be conky.lau.nv which is installed but not conky?
had to jump thru hoops for outdated thru the Aur. and still no conky on startup even tho in the Startup section.
Ended up uninstalling conky.lau.nv and installing Conky. Right way to resolve? As using default open drivers.
And had to manually enter a conky command in autostart to my .conkyrc in home as a temp fix.

Now Conky manager running a script gives garbage output on desktop.
This was the same running conky.lau.nv or now just conky installed.

2) My fonts changed for example Digital Clock on panel.

3) Back to the 60-90sec hang at reboot. Will have to apply the fix.

Code: [Select]
/etc/systemd/system.conf

remove the # from these lines  (you may have to reboot to activate these settings)

DumpCore=no
DefaultTimeoutStartSec=05s
DefaultTimeoutStopSec=05s

4) Notification sounds again not working. Must be the recent path issue for notifications sounds.
So will have to copy some sounds back into root usr/share/sounds I guess.

5) Theme seems broken dialogs menus showing light light grey on white unreadable till you highlight them.
Don't know if that is an old theme just need to look around what I had.

[img=394x181]http://i.imgur.com/3gbg0t8m.png[/img]

6) Weird touchpad warning on login and bootup when I don't have a touchpad. And my graphics tablet no entry at all.
Before had a tablet entry in input devices and no touchpad entry I believe.

7) Last week installed Pokerth from the repo. And a Icon was added to the games section of menu.
Today rebuilding system to way it was. Installed pokerth and lo & behold No Menu Entry. I'm Confused!
Same for kmahjongg is installed but no menu entry.

All kinds of little things to waste time with. So Word of Warning!
Verify that you have recent backups. I swore that I had backup from end of April.

Was mistaken and Now just Swearing and Kicking myself a Lot! :s
But am bummed as thought the whole purpose of rolling was to get you back to where you were before without all the breakage.
Many things different,missing or just broken in just 4 months? Am I doing something wrong?
No issues before with updated system with trackpad or tablet,Conky or theme issues shown above before just worked without these kind of annoyances.

So any insights on the Trackpad prompt on every bootup or resolve Conky issue of garbled conky output would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: 08. May 2016, 18:54:59 by Orbmiser »

Offline mandog

• Held Mitglied
  • Architect Forum And G+ Forum Owner With Daniel S
  • Branch: All
  • Desktop: Gnome, Mate, E19, Openbox,FLuxbox,Budgie, XFCE openRC,
  • GPU Card: nvidia
  • GPU driver: Non Free
  • Kernel: latest
  • Skill: Advanced
You have to keep updating a old image not doing so will make it hard as software is updated regularly themes get out of date etc. That is the whole idea of a rolling release. you can use a outdated image but its not wise, also you are using a customised distro which changes on every  snapshot  to suit the devs and users, Unlike Arch which supplies only vanilla packages and themes icons. but complaining about conky is not on its 3rd party and out of date for a long time. 
A ENGLISHMAN IN PERU
I'm dyslexic Please do not complain about punctuation or spelling,
FANBOY,Taken from the urban dictionary
 A pathetic insult often used by fanboys themselves to try and put down people who don't like whatever it is they like.

Offline Orbmiser

• Sr. Mitglied
You have to keep updating a old image not doing so will make it hard as software is updated regularly themes get out of date etc. That is the whole idea of a rolling release. you can use a outdated image but its not wise, also you are using a customised distro which changes on every  snapshot  to suit the devs and users, Unlike Arch which supplies only vanilla packages and themes icons. but complaining about conky is not on its 3rd party and out of date for a long time.

Yep that was why I was kicking myself for not verifying that I had my April backups on ext. hardrives. As when everything works smoothly then I backup.
but was wrong. As to conky just confused as not even the newer default conly.lua.nv worked right. Why I switched back to Conky. Just trying to get it to work.

Conky,Annoying trackpad warning on every boot and no entry for my graphics tablet still working on.
Tho resolved my theme and highlighting drop down invisible entries issue.

Just I don't understand how restoring a older setup vs. clean install of latest Netrunner iso and updating then installing apps is somehow different?
Should it be different? Or work in the same way?
« Last Edit: 08. May 2016, 19:39:31 by Orbmiser »

Offline c00ter

• Held Mitglied
  • Towelie's cupcake
  • Branch: ☮Olive☮
  • Desktop: Depends©
  • GPU Card: Intel HD4400M CPU: Core i7-4510U
  • GPU driver: Intel/Free
  • Kernel: 4.4-lts & 4.5
Has something to do with "changing horse in midstream" kinda things not within your control, is my take on it.

Anyway, that's crappy luck. Sorry it had to happen. I know how fine-tuned your system was and all the work you put  into it.

Regards.
“What, me worry?” ― Alfred E. Newman

Manjaro Wiki: https://wiki.manjaro.org/
Arch Wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/
Pacman Rosetta: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Rosetta

Offline Orbmiser

• Sr. Mitglied
Thanks as was always on the ball before this with major monthly backups of my Win7 & Linux partitions to ext. usb drive.
But Murphy whispered in my ear "Yes you did your backup" back in April!  :P

Offline Heart Of A Lion

• Sr. Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Desktop: Xfce, Enlightenment
  • GPU Card: ATi 7770 . . . . . . . CPU: AMD octacore 4GHz
  • GPU driver: Free (video-ATI)
  • Kernel: 4.6 (x64)
  • Skill: Intermediate
What method/software did you use to back up your partitions?

Offline Orbmiser

• Sr. Mitglied
What method/software did you use to back up your partitions?

Redo Backup http://redobackup.org/
Same engine under the hood as Clonezilla but much simpler Gui for the Simpler Minds like Me!  :o

Always works without issue for me. Except to remind me to make a Backup this month!  :P
May have to research more for a secondary interim of backing up critical files & folders.
Separate from the Partition images.
« Last Edit: 09. May 2016, 00:18:32 by Orbmiser »

Offline handy

• Global Moderator
  • Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1-3 & Worker :)
  • GPU Card: intel...
  • GPU driver: open-source
  • Kernel: OpenBSD
In the past I've turned off all of the MS updates (& removed all previous update files) to my Win7 & removed all of the capabilities of MS to be able to communicate with that machine. I consider MS to be the greatest security vulnerability to my OS.

I don't have the link to the software that I used on this Linux boot. Though I have talked about it in another thread somewhere here...

Re. Linux backup images; I've got into trouble in the past with an image that was 2 months old. These days I try to keep them no older than 1 month.
The ultimate tyranny in a society is not control
by martial law. It is control by the psychological
manipulation of consciousness, through which reality
is defined so that those who exist within do not even
realize that they are in prison.
  —  Barbara Marciniak

Offline Orbmiser

• Sr. Mitglied
Yep same here backups once a month like you Handy tho on my last intermittent Bio-Neural Gel Pack  :o
Finding more daily mind things slipping into darkness and more of those Duh Moments!  :P

Offline handy

• Global Moderator
  • Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1-3 & Worker :)
  • GPU Card: intel...
  • GPU driver: open-source
  • Kernel: OpenBSD
Yeh, I know, getting old is great isn't it?  ???

I can at least still find words quicker to type than I can in verbal communication. I'd probably prefer that to be the other way around...
The ultimate tyranny in a society is not control
by martial law. It is control by the psychological
manipulation of consciousness, through which reality
is defined so that those who exist within do not even
realize that they are in prison.
  —  Barbara Marciniak