Poll

Did you experience any issue with this update?

No issues, everything went smoothly.
91 (72.2%)
Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself. (Please post your solution)
12 (9.5%)
Yes I am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)
23 (18.3%)

Total Members Voted: 126

Author Topic: [Update] 2016-05-08 - Kernels, Pamac 4.0, Calamares, OpenSSL, Cinnamon, Lumina  (Read 9488 times)

Offline uncarvedblock

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • GPU Card: IntelĀ® HD Graphics 520
  • GPU driver: i915
  • Kernel: linux44-x86_64
  • Skill: Novice
for the most part, the update went smoothly, except my wireless card (broadcom 4350) doesn't seem to be recognized by NetworkManager until I restart the service after login.

Offline imarco

• Neuling
  • Desktop: KDE 4.14.19
  • GPU Card: ATI Asus radeon hd 5450
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: 4.1.23-1
firefox-gtk2 has been renamed firefox, that's why the update wants to remove my custom built firefox-gtk2 because it's in the PKGBUILD's "conflicts" section.
Renaming custom firefox-gtk2 to firefox should do the trick.

Thanks for your tick but i don't understand...
I have
Code: [Select]
extra/firefox 46.0.1-1 [installed]
    Standalone web browser from mozilla.org
and i don't know how to proceed...
 :-\

Offline torvic9

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Hello world!
  • Skill: Intermediate
Thanks for your tick but i don't understand...
I have
extra/firefox 46.0.1-1 [installed]
    Standalone web browser from mozilla.org
and i don't know how to proceed...
 :-\
You don't need to do anything if you have firefox from the official repos.
i3: i7-5820K | 32 GB | GeForce GTX 960, nvidia | linux44-custom
KDE: i7-920 | 12 GB | GeForce GTS 450, nouveau | linux44
Gnome: Thinkpad X200s | linux41

Offline avi448

• Jr. Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
 XFCE and no desktop worked, fixed XFCE by deleting ( --nosave and --cascade ) and then installing again. Haven't tried with the other desktops but it probably fixes it too

Offline stephane

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: 16.06.1 Xfce ( mac) & 16.06.1 ( pc)
  • GPU Card: ATI 5770 Mac & Geforce 970GTX ( pc)
  • GPU driver: Free Driver & non Free Driver
  • Kernel: Linux 4.6.2 (mac) - Linux 4.6.2 (pc)
there sometihng weir with NetworkMananger
with 16.06pre2 and update week before no trouble ( i use adwaita-theme )

IPv6 is length prefix 64 and IPv4 faor failback is ok by dhcpd ( systemd --> avahi-deamon --> Networkmanager )

after the update
ipv6 length prefix is 128 bits , IPv4 time out ( Ip is given par fiber box for Ipv6/v4 ) , timeout appears in systemd ...

only mail , ping on other country with low value ( www.google.com)  and pacman works and no IP for Internet
status connexion show only IPv6 , networkmonitoring says no ip

and before upgrade in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
dhcp:dhclient ( seems to be good , not internal )

i had to re install 16.06pre2 for / and recover internet
and after  , for future update ?

Offline george.sterpu

• Neuling
  • Desktop: Xfce
  • GPU Card: nVidia
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Kernel: stable
After this update I found that the previously enabled cgconfig service was disabled.

Offline lightbeam

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Branch: Stable as in: "Whoa, Nelly!"
  • Desktop: Wide Openbox
  • GPU Card: AMD Radeon Xpress 200 Series - Methuselah Edition
  • GPU driver: Free as in Lunch
  • Kernel: Linux44, i686
Regarding conky: https://github.com/brndnmtthws/conky/wiki/Configuration-Settings

Seems that the configuration syntax has changed.

It doesn't say what was changed. Not only this, but I fixed the syntax and Conky still crashes.  When I start Conky from terminal:

conky: desktop window (275) is root window
conky: window type - desktop
conky: drawing to created window (0x1a00001)
conky: drawing to double buffer
conky: forked to background, pid is 4545

Doesn't look like anything is wrong to me.  But it still crashes.
---------------------------------------------------
I make you look good. 8)

Offline torvic9

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Hello world!
It doesn't say what was changed. Not only this, but I fixed the syntax and Conky still crashes.  When I start Conky from terminal:

Doesn't look like anything is wrong to me.  But it still crashes.
Agree, don't think it's the config. We were already on 1.10 before.

Thanks for the info, I put conky on hold until we have more info.
i3: i7-5820K | 32 GB | GeForce GTX 960, nvidia | linux44-custom
KDE: i7-920 | 12 GB | GeForce GTS 450, nouveau | linux44
Gnome: Thinkpad X200s | linux41

Offline philm

• Core Team
    • Manjaro Linux
  • Branch: Unstable
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • GPU Card: Geforce GTX 650
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Kernel: Maintainer - so all ;)
  • Skill: Guru
Ok community,

let me explain some things regarding pamac, manjaro-settings and other things which popped up with the current feedback here:

pamac

We released our fourth stable version of Pamac. Guillaume was working for some time on a new design for pamac. It has a new design:
  • double click on a package name to view details.
  • in dependencies view, click on a dependency to view its details
  • you can continue browsing packages while a transaction is running
Main view

New dependencies view

New settings view

Why we use now CSD style and headerbar? Well, the main developer uses Gnome as his main desktop and XFCE will change to GTK3 anyway in the end. Also Antergos uses Pamac as their main package manager and we share our efforts. Any feedback can be found here.

Manjaro Settings-Manager (MSM)

We worked hard to integrate MSM seamlessly into our KDE edition. Now we have it integrated into the KDE settings application as KCM modules. Therefore we rebuilt the base of MSM to fit KDE needs. To have still support for our other editions we created a legacy mode and transformed it into the same look we had with MSM 0.4.x series. Since that finalized we dropped 0.4.x series for good. The current package is the second 5.0-RC2 to get final issues and feedback before the stable release of MSM 5.0. Why we have now more KDE dependencies? Well, to integrate it better to KDE we need them. Also we kept them to a minimum. We have now two notifiers which can be used, like we did with Octopi. Some might not like it. However we can still re-add MSM legacy if needed until it is totally broken. Why KDE based? The maindeveloper uses that as his main desktop.

Why the heck looks my GTK based desktop broken?

We have a new GTK3 framework which breaks, as usual all themes not compatible with it. Why are 70% of our desktop editions broken? Cos simple put, we were not able to make our default Menda theme compatible. The new unified theme is now called Maia. Simply install it as already discussed in our previews update announcements. The new default Manjaro GTK theme, which is GTK 3.20 compatible, is Vertex-Maia

You can install it with:
sudo pacman -Sy vertex-maia-themes vertex-maia-icon-theme xcursor-maia
Why do we not link to 15.12 ISOs from our download page

Those install medias are really old and we have more and more issues with newcomers using those ISOs to install Manjaro. A new release candidate is expected this weekend to get online. Our current third preview should most likely work. Some fixes are still needed, but if you made installing Manjaro the update procedure will be much easier.

What the heck, some keys are broken or not working

For real. What do you expect from old install medias. At some point the first step is to update the keyrings to get any update. How to do that is explained in detail in our wiki.

I don't get updates, why is that

We have a great service to check all our mirrors. Seems nobody uses it: http://repo.manjaro.org/ Simply read also our Tips for Pacman and use pacman-mirrors:

[phil@manjaro core]$ pacman-mirrors --help
usage: pacman-mirrors [-h] [-g] [-m {rank,random}]
                      [-b {stable,testing,unstable}] [-c COUNTRY] [-d PATH]
                      [-o FILE] [-t SECONDS] [--no-update] [-i] [-v]

optional arguments:
  -h, --help            show this help message and exit
  -g, --generate        generate new mirrorlist
  -m, --method {rank,random}
                        generation method
  -b, --branch {stable,testing,unstable}
                        branch name
  -c, --country COUNTRY
                        comma separated list of countries where mirrors will be used
  -d, --mirror_dir PATH
                        mirrors list path
  -o, --output FILE     output file
  -t, --timeout SECONDS
                        server maximum waiting time
  --no-update           don't generate mirrorlist if NoUpdate is set to True in the configuration file
  -i, --interactive     interactively generate a custom mirrorlist
  -v, --version         print the pacman-mirrors version

The fastest mirror in syncing is netzspielplatz in Germany. It syncs every five minutes.

I hope this will help a lot of you ...

« Last Edit: 09. May 2016, 20:43:01 by philm »

Offline aguador

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • Desktop: E20
  • GPU Card: Intel 945 GME; Radeon 9000; Nvidia 340xx
  • GPU driver: Free; free; free
  • Kernel: Linux314-net; Linux44-x86; Linux44-x64
Thanks for the extensive update, philm. I just played with my test machine updating all but E, pamac and MSM, then added pamac (all OK) and MSM (all OK). So it seems that E20.7 is not playing nice with the rest of the children, or more specifically with authentication and stalonetray. The first would suggest a problem with lxpolkit -- which works fine with the updated pamac and MSM in E20.6, so I am not sure what to think.

There is no bug reported on Arch for E20.7, but I will check with e-users listserv. In the meantime I will downgrade to 20.6 until this is resolved or E21 appears (now in beta).

As far as stalonetray is concerned, I confirmed that the update did not activate E's systray (which usually gives a warning anyway). This may be one of the strange cases where .e needs to be wiped out and E20.7 reconfigured -- which would mean that I will definitely wait for E21 to cross that bridge.

Color me red on pamac!  :-[ When no package information appeared I, of course, right clicked, but never thought of the other typical tactic, double clicking. Duh!  :-[  :o

Edit: It's a shame that MSM is tied to desktop-specific dependencies, but is there no chance that pamac could be a little more neutral? Or is it possible to reconfigure pamac at least to enable the E border? Most of the changes in pamac are fine, but the use of the headerbar does not save that much and the loss of E border means that some E-specific commands for window manipulation are unavailable.

(I see no one has commended on github in over a month so hesitated to comment there.)
« Last Edit: 09. May 2016, 23:15:09 by aguador »

Offline Conjure

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Skill: Advanced

Why the heck looks my GTK based desktop broken?

We have a new GTK3 framework which breaks, as usual all themes not compatible with it. Why are 70% of our desktop editions broken? Cos simple put, we were not able to make our default Menda theme compatible. The new unified theme is now called Maia. Simply install it as already discussed in our previews update announcements. The new default Manjaro GTK theme, which is GTK 3.20 compatible, is Vertex-Maia

You can install it with:
sudo pacman -Sy vertex-maia-themes vertex-maia-icon-theme xcursor-maia

This didn't work for me. GTK windows are still butt ugly.

Offline jonathon

• Core Team
  • Technologist - Teacher - Tea drinker
  • Desktop: MATE 1.14
  • GPU Card: Nvidia GTX680M
  • GPU driver: Bumblebee nvidia+intel
  • Kernel: 4.6.0-*-MANJARO x86_64
Issue with nvidia-340xx-utils:

error: file owned by 'libglvnd' and 'nvidia-340xx-utils': 'usr/lib/nvidia/libGL.so'
error: file owned by 'libglvnd' and 'nvidia-340xx-utils': 'usr/lib/nvidia/libGL.so.1'
error: file owned by 'libglvnd' and 'nvidia-340xx-utils': 'usr/lib/nvidia/libGLESv1_CM.so'
error: file owned by 'libglvnd' and 'nvidia-340xx-utils': 'usr/lib/nvidia/libGLESv1_CM.so.1'
error: file owned by 'libglvnd' and 'nvidia-340xx-utils': 'usr/lib/nvidia/libGLESv2.so'
error: file owned by 'libglvnd' and 'nvidia-340xx-utils': 'usr/lib/nvidia/libGLESv2.so.2'

This has the effect of causing a crash loop for LightDM until nvidia-340xx-utils are reinstalled. I really don't know how important libglvnd is or if it's only supposed to be for for nvidia-utils.
--
MSI GT70: Core i7-3630QM, 16GB, Nvidia GTX680M, Intel 2230, Manjaro-MATE-amd64-EFI
Lenovo X230: Core i5-3320M, 4GB, Intel HD4000, Intel 6205, Manjaro-MATE-amd64
Dell Studio 1749: Core i5 540, 8GB, ATi HD5650, Intel WLAN, Manjaro-Xfce-amd64
Let's go in the garden; you'll find something waiting.

Offline jonathon

• Core Team
  • Technologist - Teacher - Tea drinker
  • Desktop: MATE 1.14
  • GPU Card: Nvidia GTX680M
  • GPU driver: Bumblebee nvidia+intel
  • Kernel: 4.6.0-*-MANJARO x86_64
This didn't work for me. GTK windows are still butt ugly.

You need to activate the new theme too. Otherwise you're still set to the old one.
--
MSI GT70: Core i7-3630QM, 16GB, Nvidia GTX680M, Intel 2230, Manjaro-MATE-amd64-EFI
Lenovo X230: Core i5-3320M, 4GB, Intel HD4000, Intel 6205, Manjaro-MATE-amd64
Dell Studio 1749: Core i5 540, 8GB, ATi HD5650, Intel WLAN, Manjaro-Xfce-amd64
Let's go in the garden; you'll find something waiting.

Offline hillz

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
The login screen is broken, how do I fix it ?

Offline MrOats

• Neuling
  • Desktop: Cinnamon
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: 4.4.6-1-x64
Since the update, I've been unable to use the shortcut to take a screenshot using gnome-screenshot. I have to open up the interactive GUI for gnome-screenshot, but then gnome-screenshot starts to eat the CPU and then produces a screenshot after a minute.

May 09 19:55:10 ManjaroLinux.local org.gnome.Screenshot[5739]: ** Message: Unable to select area using GNOME Shell's builtin screenshot interface, resorting to fallback X11.
May 09 19:55:11 ManjaroLinux.local org.gnome.Screenshot[5739]: ** Message: Unable to use GNOME Shell's builtin screenshot interface, resorting to fallback X11.