Author Topic: Manjaro Left Me Cold  (Read 3994 times)

Offline withjaro

• Held Mitglied
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: openrc
  • GPU Card: geforce7150/ATIx2300
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: linux4xxx-x64
  • Skill: Novice
Re: Manjaro Left Me Cold
« Reply #30 on: 08. May 2016, 16:44:27 »
@Odysseus  ... nah ... lazy exists (i do it myself  :P) .... but the reason distro-hopping exists .. is because its like going shopping for clothes ... you grab a pile of rags from the racks go to the fitting room and find an outfit that suits you ... might take a couple of tries and you whittle it down to a few options ... then you discover theres more than jeans and t-shirts (features you didnt even imagine existed) - and a lightbulb pings on ... and it changes your perspective.
Indeed the 'wearer' changes too ... tastes change with the seasons ... or with the reasons you want to use an operating system ... netbook surfing is a world away from running an enterprise or gaming server ... or you might have health issues which is where some of the accessibility features of Gnome and Sonar come in useful.

You are curious and inquisitive type who likes to tinker ...and thats to some degree what attracts people to GNU/Linux ... for those who like 'auto-magically' (a term ive stole from another forum poster - i love it :)  ) ... they really dont care what system they use or applications ... the means to an end in the quickest,least mentally taxing is primary.

But thats kinda what you were saying ;) .... lol ... +1
< insert your own inspiring quotation - and smile :) >

Offline c00ter

• Held Mitglied
  • Towelie's cupcake
  • Branch: ☮Olive☮
  • Desktop: Depends©
  • GPU Card: Intel HD4400M CPU: Core i7-4510U
  • GPU driver: Intel/Free
  • Kernel: 4.4-lts & 4.5
« Reply #31 on: 08. May 2016, 22:45:23 »
.... but the reason distro-hopping exists .. is because its like going shopping for clothes ... you grab a pile of rags from the racks go to the fitting room and find an outfit that suits you ... might take a couple of tries

I love your analogies. :D

...I just keep returning to the same old pile o' rags. ;)

Regards
“What, me worry?” ― Alfred E. Newman

Manjaro Wiki: https://wiki.manjaro.org/
Arch Wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/
Pacman Rosetta: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Rosetta

Offline Odysseus

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: KDE
  • GPU Card: nVidia GeForce Go 7950 GTX
  • GPU driver: nVidia non-free
  • Kernel: linux44-x64
  • Skill: Intermediate
« Reply #32 on: 08. May 2016, 22:58:36 »
I love your analogies. :D

...I just keep returning to the same old pile o' rags. ;)

Regards
Coming from the guy with a towel as his avatar! LOL

Offline ringo

• Held Mitglied
  • www.manjaro-nl.org
    • Manjaro Belgium + forum
  • Branch: unsourced
  • Desktop: xfce
  • GPU Card: Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT (acer 23inch)
  • GPU driver: Free*
  • Kernel: linux kernel
« Reply #33 on: 08. May 2016, 23:01:25 »
thinks dont work or work, son PC he had fedora installed, GDM fucked up somehow but he dont ask for help so i leave it that way , let him endure :)

thinks such things is linux general issues :)
Dutch go the dutch site :)

Offline mips

• Held Mitglied
  • Valkyrja
  • Branch: Testing
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • GPU Card: GTX 960
  • GPU driver: video-nvidia
  • Kernel: 3.16
« Reply #34 on: 08. May 2016, 23:11:25 »
Coming from the guy with a towel as his avatar! LOL

“A towel, [The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy] says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapors; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (such a mind-boggingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.”

― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Towel
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Towel_Day

Offline mandog

• Held Mitglied
  • Architect Forum And G+ Forum Owner With Daniel S
  • Branch: All
  • Desktop: Gnome, Mate, E19, Openbox,FLuxbox,Budgie, XFCE openRC,
  • GPU Card: nvidia
  • GPU driver: Non Free
  • Kernel: latest
  • Skill: Advanced
« Reply #35 on: 08. May 2016, 23:34:20 »
“A towel, [The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy] says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapors; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (such a mind-boggingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.”

― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Towel
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Towel_Day
A little Gem
A ENGLISHMAN IN PERU
I'm dyslexic Please do not complain about punctuation or spelling,
FANBOY,Taken from the urban dictionary
 A pathetic insult often used by fanboys themselves to try and put down people who don't like whatever it is they like.

Offline Odysseus

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Desktop: KDE
  • GPU Card: nVidia GeForce Go 7950 GTX
  • GPU driver: nVidia non-free
  • Kernel: linux44-x64
« Reply #36 on: 09. May 2016, 00:21:17 »
So long, and thanks for all the fish!  ;)

Offline crazyg4merz

• Held Mitglied
  • Experience it, that's the way of learning!!
  • Desktop: Gnome
  • GPU Card: Nvidia GTX 970
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Kernel: Linux420-x64
« Reply #37 on: 09. May 2016, 02:01:37 »
Yeah ... im happy he tried Manjaro ... it wasnt for him ... no hard feelings :) ... and i agree with you,maybe knowing how to partition drives and use package managers if that is the sum of the knowledge (im not sure of their capacity) ... and then asking for payment from naive users,is a bit cheap.

But,i must admit ... ive gone into a few computer stores ... whether a big chain like PCWorld or some of the smaller one man outfits and their level of Unix knowledge is next to zero! ... all the stuff they retail contains MS.exe drivers ... they may have a Dell notebook with Ubuntu installed in some,but this is VERY much the exception to the rule,and any peripherals are non-existent ...
Its easy to forget,in our little Linux desert island ... how little support there is in the mainstream retail market ... and the majority of users really arent that savvy .... i had a young guy at work,get a brand new laptop with W10,come into work with it -
(admittedly his personality was the type where he likes 'very familiarity' ... like if i offered him a Dorito instead of a potato chip,he would flatly refuse - plus anyone who buys new things are terrified to experiment for fear of breaking warranties - .... i dont care,warranties to me are like handcuffs ... and im never in a rush to get into those  :P )   
... he was having problems with sound not coming through the speakers properly ... so i said "yeah,you just need to reinstall the sound drivers" ... he wouldnt have it,wouldnt listen to me ... not that i pushed it ... but instead he sent it back to the retailer,and it came back three weeks later with sound drivers intact ... but it just surprised me,that someone in their early twenties was not even in the knowledge of reinstalling Windows sound drivers ... until i realised that we are now in the world of smartphones and tablets,thats his and many's reality.

The answer for me - okay Linux is gaining traction through internet marketing like Distrowatch,etc ... but some 'physical' expansion of community ventures like www.hackerspaces.org getting involved in schools,colleges and local centres would be a good direction.
Yeah, he even said that he just tried installing Arch and learned a lot about how Linux works. That's really a shame for someone who charge $50 to install Linux for users. I'm really grateful having a man dedicated his time to make money out of Linux and help people, but his skill is just not enough, he only supports Ubuntu and Mint on his website, but even on those OSes there will be problem like people wondering how to get hybrid graphic working on Linux, how to modprobe drivers needed, how to work with systemd services, how to deal with grub not working, etc and I can bet that he can't answer them at all.  Dude can't even Google search a way to install Manjaro, dude can't even install Arch without spending a whole day looking at Arch wiki, that's really a shame for someone claiming so much money to help people with Ubuntu problems.

Offline nadir

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Skill: Advanced
« Reply #38 on: 09. May 2016, 15:52:46 »
I almost had the same path: Manjaro XFCE+openRC (worked perfectly except it did not recoginze my iphone + i gave me hard time with virtualbox) then Manjaro Cinnamon (very close to windows daily usage, I tought I found my utlimate desktop--> but in the end it is unstable and get slow after several hours of work), and now I ended up with manjaro Mate. It is perfect. Blazing fast.
(from manjaro cinnamon I installed packages & theme from manjaro mate).

Offline crazyg4merz

• Held Mitglied
  • Experience it, that's the way of learning!!
  • Desktop: Gnome
  • GPU Card: Nvidia GTX 970
  • Kernel: Linux420-x64
« Reply #39 on: 09. May 2016, 16:21:30 »
I almost had the same path: Manjaro XFCE+openRC (worked perfectly except it did not recoginze my iphone + i gave me hard time with virtualbox) then Manjaro Cinnamon (very close to windows daily usage, I tought I found my utlimate desktop--> but in the end it is unstable and get slow after several hours of work), and now I ended up with manjaro Mate. It is perfect. Blazing fast.
(from manjaro cinnamon I installed packages & theme from manjaro mate).
What about lxde? It's faster than Mate. I prefer Gnome though, most people hate the shell but I love it so much. That's what good about Linux, so much choice :)

Offline badbodh

• Held Mitglied
  • Windows assumes I'm stupid, Linux proves it.
  • Branch: Testing
  • Desktop: Xfce, i3
  • GPU Card: Intel Mobile 4 Series
  • Kernel: linux41 64-bit
« Reply #40 on: 10. May 2016, 14:28:23 »
thinks dont work or work, son PC he had fedora installed, GDM fucked up somehow but he dont ask for help so i leave it that way , let him endure :)

thinks such things is linux general issues :)
Your parenting methods are the best mate. Next time make your kids install gentoo or linux-from-scratch while eating broccoli alone.
Only broccoli till they produce a fully functional operating system that fits all the usual needs.
You can't feel the love till it hurts a little. Go rolling, go bleeding-edge !

Offline Kleyno

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: Xfce
  • GPU Card: Nvidia GTX 960
  • Kernel: 4.4.8-1
« Reply #41 on: 10. May 2016, 14:53:56 »
For someone who claims to know enough about Linux to charge people for installation as a service, he didn't seem to know all that much about installing Linux and overcoming issues with partitioning.

Maybe he didn't go the extra mile and seek advise from the forums, because no one paid him the $50 dollars to get Manjaro installed.

The fact that he made a couple of videos prior to that one which mentions this blog post, about how super excited he was about using Manjaro, tells me all I need to know about the man's personality. Instant gratification, with no desire to expend any effort. It must work, and work now, and if it does not work, then I give up.

Manjaro has its faults, but if he would have just come onto the forums and searched/posted, he could have had a solution. But then again, that would have required effort, on his part.

Then again, he made a video about installing Arch. If he has the patience to get that working, then why he couldn't take the 5 to 10 minutes to do a search/forum post, I don't know.
Disclaimer, I am an Linux noob. Any advice I give should be taken in light of such.

Offline ringo

• Held Mitglied
  • www.manjaro-nl.org
    • Manjaro Belgium + forum
  • Branch: unsourced
  • Desktop: xfce
  • GPU Card: Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT (acer 23inch)
  • GPU driver: Free*
  • Kernel: linux kernel
« Reply #42 on: 10. May 2016, 21:45:35 »
Your parenting methods are the best mate. Next time make your kids install gentoo or linux-from-scratch while eating broccoli alone.
Only broccoli till they produce a fully functional operating system that fits all the usual needs.
already known the issue and worked after, nevermind :p was so pity so i fixed it, now buy a second hand psu also :/ hardware also sigh...

Have to learn him and endure things dont need to be a one click experience, is more fun to find it :p
Dutch go the dutch site :)