Author Topic: Manjaro Left Me Cold  (Read 3977 times)

Offline crazyg4merz

• Held Mitglied
  • Experience it, that's the way of learning!!
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: Gnome
  • GPU Card: Nvidia GTX 970
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Kernel: Linux420-x64
  • Skill: Intermediate
Re: Manjaro Left Me Cold
« Reply #15 on: 08. May 2016, 12:57:44 »
It's a pity he gave up entirely without even dropping by here with a topic so we can help him. I even commented on his video about posting his problem with more information about his hardware and he didn't respond. Hope he can test us out in the future. I quite like his video because of his relaxing voice, but I don't like the way he just ask for money to help beginners install Linux. Not that I don't support him trying to make money by helping people, but I think his experience and skill in Linux is quite mediocore. I prefer a more skilled people to help me configure my computer if I'm a noob.

Offline doomee

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Desktop: xfce, mostly
  • GPU Card: different types
  • GPU driver: free and proprietary
  • Kernel: latest LTS
« Reply #16 on: 08. May 2016, 13:08:01 »
Hi!

I am running Manjaro just for the last 4-6 months now. I like it. I always love to try and understand systems. I usually don't mind spending hours digging up the info I need, and learn new stuff. But one thing I wanted to add here:

I installed Manjaro on multiple machines and I had the partitioning problem too with Manjaro. Something isn't quite right with the partitioning tool. I tried different releases of Manjaro, official and community too the problem came up multiple times on different machines. It's really sad. Other distros never messed up my partition tables before. With Manjaro I have got to know testdisk... :P It's really annoying. And I personally always try to understand different point of views. For me it wasn't enough to drive me away from Manjaro for now, but I understand if others find a thing like this during installation will just leave.
Just so you know multiple times I had to partition my drives with a live Ubuntu derivative before I started installing Manjaro. That's not a good sign. And yes I am not an expert or anything so no one would hurt my feelings by calling me a noob, but if anyone does pls do it while you are saying Manjaro's motto over and over again. :-)

I've found the mentioned mouse pointer theming problem too. Not a big issue for me, but for others maybe.

And I kinda wrecked my Manjaro XFCE installation on our desktop just by changing the font.

But I love it. I wouldn't use Ubuntu (Unity) right now over this. Maybe something else, idk. But in my opinion this distro deserves more support. I am already thinking about ways how could I support this distro more, other than spreading the word about it.

And well, picking a community release over an official release to test a distro is not the best idea, but he tried to install the XFCE... :-)

döme

Offline eugen-b

• Support Team
  • Branch: testing
  • Desktop: LXDE, Fluxbox, JWM, LXQt, bspwm
  • GPU Card: Intel 82945G/GZ
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: 4.5, 4.6
« Reply #17 on: 08. May 2016, 13:30:16 »
Simplicity has different aspects and as a characteristic only makes sense with some context ("simple for whom and for what").
While other distros may work better OOTB for a majority of users, they have customizations which are more difficult to get rid of. Manjaro can be configured to behave differently than the default way with less effort. Still not all configurations are possible compared to Arch. Manjaro is however much more easier to install than Arch.
So, if you want to customize Manjaro and Arch are simpler, because they don't stay in your way.
If you want a system which works without much user intervention, then there are others which are simpler.
It is good that there is so much choice of distros. While most some may be spins with just a different name and wallpaper, some have a real raison d'être for specific use cases.
« Last Edit: 08. May 2016, 13:33:58 by eugen-b »
MSI Wind Nettop, Intel Atom 230 1.6GHz (64bit), 2GB RAM
DEs: NET-minimal + (LXDE / Fluxbox / JWM); LXQt OpenRC
how to install on btrfs subvolumes
http://manjaro.github.io/donate/

Offline badbodh

• Held Mitglied
  • Windows assumes I'm stupid, Linux proves it.
  • Branch: Testing
  • Desktop: Xfce, i3
  • GPU Card: Intel Mobile 4 Series
  • Kernel: linux41 64-bit
« Reply #18 on: 08. May 2016, 14:08:08 »
@eugene-b Welcome to the internet, where newbies say "I want X distro to do what that Y distro does and stop behaving like X because i prefer using Y"
You can't feel the love till it hurts a little. Go rolling, go bleeding-edge !

Offline withjaro

• Held Mitglied
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: openrc
  • GPU Card: geforce7150/ATIx2300
  • Kernel: linux4xxx-x64
  • Skill: Novice
« Reply #19 on: 08. May 2016, 14:21:10 »
Hope he can test us out in the future. I quite like his video because of his relaxing voice, but I don't like the way he just ask for money to help beginners install Linux. Not that I don't support him trying to make money by helping people
Yeah ... im happy he tried Manjaro ... it wasnt for him ... no hard feelings :) ... and i agree with you,maybe knowing how to partition drives and use package managers if that is the sum of the knowledge (im not sure of their capacity) ... and then asking for payment from naive users,is a bit cheap.

But,i must admit ... ive gone into a few computer stores ... whether a big chain like PCWorld or some of the smaller one man outfits and their level of Unix knowledge is next to zero! ... all the stuff they retail contains MS.exe drivers ... they may have a Dell notebook with Ubuntu installed in some,but this is VERY much the exception to the rule,and any peripherals are non-existent ...
Its easy to forget,in our little Linux desert island ... how little support there is in the mainstream retail market ... and the majority of users really arent that savvy .... i had a young guy at work,get a brand new laptop with W10,come into work with it -
(admittedly his personality was the type where he likes 'very familiarity' ... like if i offered him a Dorito instead of a potato chip,he would flatly refuse - plus anyone who buys new things are terrified to experiment for fear of breaking warranties - .... i dont care,warranties to me are like handcuffs ... and im never in a rush to get into those  :P )   
... he was having problems with sound not coming through the speakers properly ... so i said "yeah,you just need to reinstall the sound drivers" ... he wouldnt have it,wouldnt listen to me ... not that i pushed it ... but instead he sent it back to the retailer,and it came back three weeks later with sound drivers intact ... but it just surprised me,that someone in their early twenties was not even in the knowledge of reinstalling Windows sound drivers ... until i realised that we are now in the world of smartphones and tablets,thats his and many's reality.

The answer for me - okay Linux is gaining traction through internet marketing like Distrowatch,etc ... but some 'physical' expansion of community ventures like www.hackerspaces.org getting involved in schools,colleges and local centres would be a good direction.
« Last Edit: 08. May 2016, 14:30:37 by withjaro »
< insert your own inspiring quotation - and smile :) >

Offline handy

• Global Moderator
  • Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1-3 & Worker :)
  • GPU Card: intel...
  • GPU driver: open-source
  • Kernel: OpenBSD
« Reply #20 on: 08. May 2016, 14:23:43 »
8< 8< 8< snip 8< 8< 8<

@handy .... @badbodh ... i have realised that people take computers FAR TOO seriously ... and as more of our lives and administration of our societies are dominated by them,its not surprising ... maybe its time to 'pull back' a little.

At least from a personal perspective ... we can still enjoy tech is a FUN thing ... like a pastime .... for many its painting by numbers ... with a bit more confidence and study,you can go free hand ... its just learning techniques and the best brushes to use ... im still on doodles ... but more liberating than counting :)

8< 8< 8< snip 8< 8< 8<

I spend very little time doing tech' stuff with computers these days (once it was all I did - for decades). Now IT becomes increasingly more boring & limiting as time goes by. Too much of the stuff, I suspect, is bad for a persons health, on a number of fronts.

Beyond that, I also consider IT to very likely have the potential of being absolutely the worst thing that has ever happened to humanity, as without IT, the big brother routines & the shenanigans that the big bankers & the markets carry on with these days really couldn't exist, or if they did still exist then they would be on a relatively microscopic scale.

So I'll go & play a game or watch a movie on my computer (rarely use a cell phone -  custom OS, secure & never have "location" turned on) & look up something that I'm interested in via the Startpage.com search engine in Pale Moon, all whilst being connected via what I consider to be the most secure VPN on the planet. :)

At least then I can feel relaxed re. my views on an individual's right to privacy & some other political topics.
« Last Edit: 08. May 2016, 14:31:36 by handy »
The ultimate tyranny in a society is not control
by martial law. It is control by the psychological
manipulation of consciousness, through which reality
is defined so that those who exist within do not even
realize that they are in prison.
  —  Barbara Marciniak

Offline eugen-b

• Support Team
« Reply #21 on: 08. May 2016, 14:30:36 »
@withjaro, in the 18th century (more to the end of it) people were writing this about books. ;D
« Last Edit: 08. May 2016, 14:34:25 by eugen-b »

Offline withjaro

• Held Mitglied
« Reply #22 on: 08. May 2016, 14:40:11 »
@withjaro, in the 18th century people were writing this about books. ;D
Its still relevant !!!! (though with books it almost going full circle ... you could only get books from THE MAN in the 18th century ... in the 21st century you (nearly) can only get books from THE BEZOS MAN  :P
I understand ... though they considered more people could read than was previously thought (writing less so) ,just knowledge of 'the master' knowing you could read,could result in punishment - but yes ... i could understand a backlash to books,storytelling was a community bonding thing and passed down through generations and word of mouth and songs ... the idea of solitary digesting of text,would have been quite alien ... not just the potential of overlords worrying about the passing of information quickly to faraway places.   

You know if you get on a train that goes faster than 15kmph ... you could have a heart attack  ;D ;D ^-^

btw.. @eugen-b . thanks to you... ive just rediscovered Leibniz ... he does cookies too  ;) ;D (appreciate it - many ideas :) )
« Last Edit: 08. May 2016, 14:52:18 by withjaro »

Offline c00ter

• Held Mitglied
  • Towelie's cupcake
  • Branch: ☮Olive☮
  • Desktop: Depends©
  • GPU Card: Intel HD4400M CPU: Core i7-4510U
  • GPU driver: Intel/Free
  • Kernel: 4.4-lts & 4.5
« Reply #23 on: 08. May 2016, 14:51:55 »
If I had believed a tenth of the "this distro is da bomb, this distro sucks, Linux is dead' crap I have read...

I would be running Windows.

Why  are Manjaro users--obviously at least somewhat pleased with what they are running or they wouldn't be running it--even reading this Ubuntu-biased article? Well, I guess it is necessary in order to see the bias. ;)

Kinda reminds me of certain voices telling me how unstable Arch is. Glad to see they were wrong, too.  >:D

“What, me worry?” ― Alfred E. Newman

Manjaro Wiki: https://wiki.manjaro.org/
Arch Wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/
Pacman Rosetta: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Rosetta

Offline withjaro

• Held Mitglied
« Reply #24 on: 08. May 2016, 14:55:20 »
@c00ter

Im sticking with the I Ching and the abacus (add an astrolabe if you want to include location GPS)... never changes - just the label ;)
« Last Edit: 08. May 2016, 14:57:26 by withjaro »

Offline doomee

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Desktop: xfce, mostly
  • GPU Card: different types
  • GPU driver: free and proprietary
  • Kernel: latest LTS
« Reply #25 on: 08. May 2016, 15:03:51 »
Actually I am quite familiar with the aspects of simplicity. I always liked the interpretation of Arch Linux, a _simple_, lightweight distribution.
But I am quite sure this kind of understanding does not include messed up partition tables at an OS installation. :-)

Sometimes I can't make someone to understand me who tries to defend something beyond reason. I am a believer too, but I tend to see the problems too not just the good things. Even when I am emotionally attached to something/one/etc. This way I can work for the change and give the world better answers. At least hopefully, in time.

Well, beside that, I am sad if anyone would use sarcasm and reductio ad absurdum about a corrupted partition table during OS install, like "Ubuntu has the privilege to perform a rather stable partitioning during its install or from it's live media, and only newbies say this should be just as stable with Manjaro too."

I dont know much tho. Maybe I am wrong. I just hope this distro gets the appreciation what it deserves even from users with mediocre knowledge.

Offline raymac46

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
    • Almontage
  • Desktop: Xfce
  • GPU Card: Intel
  • Kernel: linux44-x64
« Reply #26 on: 08. May 2016, 15:19:12 »
I like Manjaro - a lot. But then again I like Arch a lot.
That said, I wouldn't take a stable and familiar distro like Linux Mint off my main driver - that is used by my wife, and grandchildren when they visit - and replace it with a leading edge rolling release. That's just asking for trouble.  :-X
I have had issues with Manjaro and mostly they are old familiar ones from my early Linux days like unfriendly Linux hardware or AMD video cards. I should know better in many cases.
Right now I have Manjaro installed on a couple of machines with either Intel or Nvidia video and Atheros wifi. No problems, man.
I also run the Xfce version as I never have had a great Cinnamon experience outside of Linux Mint.
Horses for courses, and pick your battles. If you want to screw up with a distro thare are lots of tried and true ways to do it.

Offline eugen-b

• Support Team
« Reply #27 on: 08. May 2016, 15:22:00 »
I'm completely with you concerning Calamares, it does not fit my needs yet, but it is being under development. Otherwise, how is such a project supposed to develop if there aren't any "test rabits" harmed.>:] (Writing this not as a purely personal opinion.)
I didn't intend any sarcasm, I feel with you, becasue I'm afraid of Calamares myself and always use the CLI installer (it doesn't need any command knowledge, it jus has a blue terminal interface with <OK> buttons etc.) But Calamares is not that bad if you use the custom partitioning scheme - the automatic ones are just the horror for me. But Calamares contradicts Manjaro sense of simplicity (i.e. having a GUI for complex operations) only in the sense that it is probably not ready yet. Notice: I haven't teste Calamares since several months ago. Thus installe used to be ok, but I don't know if the ISO get shipped with it.

Offline Odysseus

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Desktop: KDE
  • GPU Card: nVidia GeForce Go 7950 GTX
  • GPU driver: nVidia non-free
  • Kernel: linux44-x64
« Reply #28 on: 08. May 2016, 15:57:09 »
I feel sorry for the guy, but at the same time I think he's just too lazy to google for solutions. NO Linux distro runs optimally out of the box, and ALL require considerable tweaking to get there! All anyone can ask for, or expect, is to get to a functioning usable desktop where one can be productive right off the bat, then gradually optimizing and customizing, as time permits along the way.

I'm no computer guru or IT guy. I'm a 54 year old truck driver with no formal computer training. If I can figure this out, anyone can; that is, if they're willing to put in the time required to get things right, the way they want it!

In my case, I came here after having been running Gentoo for over 12 years. My original installation survived 3 major hardware upgrades and 2 architectural upgrades. It started life as a basic install on an x86 pentiumII desktop, which I migrated to a pentiumM laptop after my divorce, then onto my current core2 duo (amd64) laptop 10 years ago. Then in January I got caught up in a dependency hell I couldn't resolve, when plasma5 and qt-5 came into ~amd64 portage tree. If I really wanted to figure it out I probably could have, but my machine is so old now that it just took too long to recompile my setup (over 40 hours). So I began searching for a new binary distro I could call home.

So from mid January until the middle of last month I tried a dozen different distros out, before settling on Manjaro. I tried Ubuntu, but hated unity. Being a KDE guy I tried Kubuntu, but found it bloated with gnome apps I didn't need or want, but had hard dependencies, so I couldn't remove them, and 1/2 the KDE apps in the repo were KDE4 that didn't work properly in plasma5. I tried Sabayon, thinking it's based on Gentoo, so it would be familiar, but the installation was horrendous. It left me with no usable desktop (because my hardware is so old) and no wifi, so I couldn't get online to install the drivers to get the desktop working. I tried Fedora and SuSe, but found them sterile, bloated, and lacking customization I desire for my taste. I loved PCLOS, it was stable and worked great out of the box, but still uses KDE4 and most of the packages are relatively old and stale for someone like me who has been closer to the cutting edge, having been running Gentoo ~amd64 for so long. I tried a few others, but none fit what I was looking for.

Then I discovered Manjaro. I read about it in a few reviews on distrowatch, after seeing it mentioned on slashdot. I had always been intrigued by Arch, but my thinking was that I didn't have the time or patience to start building a binary system from scratch. To me, Manjaro is like the best of all worlds. It's binary based and rolling, so I don't have to spend forever setting my system up, and once setup it's easy to stay up to date. Additionally, it's customizable, works right out of the box, and between the Manjaro and Arch wikis, and forums there is plenty of documentation to overcome any issues which may arise.

Like I said, I think the OP is lazy, probably too lazy to be running a hardcore Linux distro. He should just install Ubununtu, Mint, or Manjeia, leave the settings at default and forget about things. Either that or stick with windows. He's not willing to put in the work required to properly setup a real distro like this.

Offline yottie

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • Desktop: KDE (usually) and XFCE
  • GPU Card: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
  • GPU driver: GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.2.5
  • Kernel: 4.4 or most recent LTS
« Reply #29 on: 08. May 2016, 16:24:02 »
I installed Manjaro KDE and later added Cinnamon and Mate  (and XFCE). In a year and a half on 4 Acers I had 1 serious issue (Luks became unreadable after update on one of the 4, due to my own mistake (rebooting before updating libs)). Otherwise I have only hadded the occasional glitch (currently the KDE panel cannot be auto-hidden, so I run Cinnamon until KDE works OK again).

“A man can accomplish anything when he realizes he is a part of something bigger"