Author Topic: Manjaro Left Me Cold  (Read 3993 times)

Offline Orbmiser

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Photographer / Techy Ole' Fart
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: Netrunner Plasma 5
  • GPU Card: Ati 4350 Dual Displays
  • GPU driver: Free Open Driver
  • Kernel: 4.1.16-1
  • Skill: Novice
Manjaro Left Me Cold
« on: 08. May 2016, 06:27:31 »
Manjaro Left Me Cold
http://freedompenguin.com/articles/opinion/manjaro-left-cold/

"Manjaro promises simplicity and ease of use but does not deliver, not for me, at least.
I will continue to keep an eye on it but it will be a long time before I commit to installing it again."

Curious as to your take on his experiences. Valid?
Does there seem to be more breakage and issues lately?

Offline erg

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Branch: Unstable
  • Desktop: Plasma
  • GPU Card: ati radeon hd 7640g + 7670m
  • GPU driver: catalyst
  • Kernel: linux44
Re: Manjaro Left Me Cold
« Reply #1 on: 08. May 2016, 06:52:07 »
never faced any breakage using past 1 year
Manjaro+Bqqlinux+Blackarch= "Darkjaro"
Pentesting based Manjaro

Offline Fatboy

• Sr. Mitglied
  • "Spiral out. Keep going..."
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: Xfce, KDE plasma 5
  • GPU Card: nVidia GeForce 210
  • GPU driver: 340.xx
  • Kernel: Manjaro Kernel 4.4 LTS
  • Skill: Intermediate
« Reply #2 on: 08. May 2016, 07:07:14 »
It's a pity he had such bad experiences with Manjaro.
I actually watched his first video the other day and it was as he said, you could hear the excitement in his voice.
I have to add, when one tries to install over a broken manjaro, the installer does stop working. Had this issue with Thus the other day. Don't know why it happens?

I think he should have tried xfce or kde. Cinnamon seems buggy when used outside of Mint, although I'm a big fan of Manjaro cinnamon
"I'm reaching for the random or whatever will bewilder me. Whatever will bewilder me."

Offline Orbmiser

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Photographer / Techy Ole' Fart
  • Desktop: Netrunner Plasma 5
  • GPU Card: Ati 4350 Dual Displays
  • GPU driver: Free Open Driver
  • Kernel: 4.1.16-1
« Reply #3 on: 08. May 2016, 07:17:08 »

I think he should have tried xfce or kde. Cinnamon seems buggy when used outside of Mint, although I'm a big fan of Manjaro cinnamon

That was my thinking reading the article. Stick with the official tried and true baked in versions.
Cinnamon seems just too new presently for the uninitiated in the Manjaro way. 
A little homework here might have had him re-think trying it as a stable option.
« Last Edit: 08. May 2016, 07:18:49 by Orbmiser »

Offline Kev.M

• Jr. Mitglied
  • Branch: Manjaro Stable + Arch Stable
  • Desktop: Xfce
  • GPU Card: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge
  • GPU driver: Non-free
  • Kernel: 44 & 46
« Reply #4 on: 08. May 2016, 07:51:20 »
I've not had a single problem with testing for last 6 months or so, jumped to every rc kernel that came out too and still solid as a rock, I use Xfce.

Offline Fatboy

• Sr. Mitglied
  • "Spiral out. Keep going..."
  • Desktop: Xfce, KDE plasma 5
  • GPU Card: nVidia GeForce 210
  • GPU driver: 340.xx
  • Kernel: Manjaro Kernel 4.4 LTS
« Reply #5 on: 08. May 2016, 08:13:51 »
@Orbimser I agree with you, he should take in consideration that the Cinnamon edition is not an official edition. I'm assuming some of his updates could also have caused some problems? LIke the GTK 3.20 issues etc?
At least he sounds positive about Manjaro and its community, even though he'll wait a bit before installing it again :) In addition, it's really good that Manjaro gets the media coverage it deserves. People should know about the awesomeness that is Manjaro and its community :)

@Kev.M Good to know. My XFCE is just like yours, SOLID as a rock. Love it!
"I'm reaching for the random or whatever will bewilder me. Whatever will bewilder me."

Offline kmartin

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3
  • GPU Card: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
  • GPU driver: video-intel 2013.01.12 true PCI
  • Kernel: 4.2.8-4.1-MANJARO x86_64
« Reply #6 on: 08. May 2016, 08:33:26 »
Manjaro Left Me Cold
http://freedompenguin.com/articles/opinion/manjaro-left-cold/

At the end of the article, in the authors bio blurb:
Joe is a fan of Ubuntu Linux
Arch and Manjaro are on a different plane then Ubuntu. Joe just does not understand.
so ---

Offline wordler

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • I can wire a plug
  • Desktop: Fluxbox & Xfce
  • GPU Card: Nvidia GT720 1gb ddr5
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Kernel: linux4.4-x64
« Reply #7 on: 08. May 2016, 09:17:15 »
Joe's understanding of the AUR seems rather limited. If something didn't build, he just gave up. If anyone is considering installing some thing from the AUR, it's always good to have a good read of the comments under the packages, as well as checking a few forums. The AUR comes with no guarantees, but once you're used to it, I find it OK generally.

I've had no breakages for years. Manjaro has been the most stable distro I've used. That's the main reason I use it, that and pacman. Synaptic?? Sorry but no!  ;)
Fear is the mind killer.

Offline badbodh

• Held Mitglied
  • Windows assumes I'm stupid, Linux proves it.
  • Branch: Testing
  • Desktop: Xfce, i3
  • GPU Card: Intel Mobile 4 Series
  • Kernel: linux41 64-bit
« Reply #8 on: 08. May 2016, 10:07:32 »
this is some lonely bored dude who pictures linux distros as mistresses he's having affairs with.
And beyond that, definitely incompetent to say the least. Don't "review" something if you understand nothing about it. Manjaro is rolling and bleeding edge, and with bleeding edge you get papercuts. Updates do break, rarely but surely, and gets fixed too if you are competent enough with a keyboard and type a few things to phil. Speaking of which - always have a live-usb at your disposal. It's a fully functional OS that can edit your documents and send your emails if urgent.
You can't feel the love till it hurts a little. Go rolling, go bleeding-edge !

Offline handy

• Global Moderator
  • Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1-3 & Worker :)
  • GPU Card: intel...
  • GPU driver: open-source
  • Kernel: OpenBSD
« Reply #9 on: 08. May 2016, 10:22:37 »
The reason there are so many distros (>500 apparently & that's just different spins of using the Linux kernel), is that there is no accounting for taste &/or technical know how.

I don't care what other people like, so long as enough people keep liking Manjaro so that it keeps on going so that I can make/maintain my own spin out of it, just for me. :) (I wouldn't make it public, as no one else would like it but me.)

If Manjaro failed to exist for some reason then I'd use the wonderful Archbang, or go back to using Arch again as my foundation (which is all Arch ever is anyway).
The ultimate tyranny in a society is not control
by martial law. It is control by the psychological
manipulation of consciousness, through which reality
is defined so that those who exist within do not even
realize that they are in prison.
  —  Barbara Marciniak

Offline withjaro

• Held Mitglied
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: openrc
  • GPU Card: geforce7150/ATIx2300
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: linux4xxx-x64
« Reply #10 on: 08. May 2016, 10:57:13 »
How do you know someone wouldnt share your aesthetics handy ?  ??? :P

My current situation ... i have started to spiral my Manjaro installation into some pretty odd areas ... and other than not doing something that i KNOW will break my system,i HAVE disemboweled it pretty thoroughly ... and its still working problem free  ^-^

People have tastes - and preferences that fit their needs ... but,theres plenty of 'off the shelf' or you can build from scratch .. but after a few years digesting reviews and opinions regarding distros ... the Manjaro faithful cant feel slighted for a negative view also - take the good and bad.
Generally,its not as if humans dont pontificate about things they know little about  ::)  ;)
< insert your own inspiring quotation - and smile :) >

Offline badbodh

• Held Mitglied
« Reply #11 on: 08. May 2016, 11:48:19 »
Pontifications are not valid sources for information, they are just opinions which brings us back to the main topic - don;t take negative reviews seriously. All that matters is whether or not -you- want to use manjaro as your daily workhorse. You have problems ? Have you asked for help ? Have you tried any fixes ? Bugs happen, it's important to let the developers know. Maybe send oberon another threatening email. Send jon another dead kitten.
« Last Edit: 08. May 2016, 11:52:00 by badbodh »

Offline badbodh

• Held Mitglied
« Reply #12 on: 08. May 2016, 11:53:24 »
^ in case anybody received a box of dead kittens with a letter written in blood, that wasn't me.

Offline handy

• Global Moderator
  • Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1-3 & Worker :)
  • GPU Card: intel...
  • GPU driver: open-source
  • Kernel: OpenBSD
« Reply #13 on: 08. May 2016, 11:56:17 »
My system is my skinny, with no windows/icons Openbox off of a Net install. It uses the OpenRC init & has my very custom Worker setup to suit me (which changes as needs be).

It is not worth my effort to make such a thing available, as it would be lucky to find 20 people who would find anything about it attractive to them. I've had two people ask me for my Worker config (after seeing my Worker wiki page). Worker takes more effort to configure than most people are interested in putting in.
The ultimate tyranny in a society is not control
by martial law. It is control by the psychological
manipulation of consciousness, through which reality
is defined so that those who exist within do not even
realize that they are in prison.
  —  Barbara Marciniak

Offline withjaro

• Held Mitglied
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: openrc
  • GPU Card: geforce7150/ATIx2300
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: linux4xxx-x64
« Reply #14 on: 08. May 2016, 12:40:28 »
^ in case anybody received a box of dead kittens with a letter written in blood, that wasn't me.
Kittens im fine with - its whenever i come in the prescence of dogs they end up with four paws in the air  :(  ... just seems to be a talent i have ... and why i feel more comfortable around cats.

@handy .... @badbodh ... i have realised that people take computers FAR TOO seriously ... and as more of our lives and administration of our societies are dominated by them,its not surprising ... maybe its time to 'pull back' a little.

At least from a personal perspective ... we can still enjoy tech is a FUN thing ... like a pastime .... for many its painting by numbers ... with a bit more confidence and study,you can go free hand ... its just learning techniques and the best brushes to use ... im still on doodles ... but more liberating than counting :)

PS ... Actually ... a hefty cough of EMC from our Solar friend .... would be quite an amusing outcome ... millions of hyperventilating smartphone users hitting their blank screens desparately trying to update Facebook,that their car ... no .. ALL the cars on the freeway have stopped and refused to start ... ;) ..... so clever we dont see off the end of our noses ... and not a totally improbable scenario!
« Last Edit: 08. May 2016, 13:48:35 by withjaro »
< insert your own inspiring quotation - and smile :) >