Author Topic: Two Xfce panel applets "forget" their settings randomly  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Photon

• Jr. Mitglied
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: Xfce+Compiz
  • GPU Card: Intel 4500MHD
  • Skill: Intermediate
Hello community,

I'm using (and help other people using) Manjaro Xfce on several machines. A problem which popped up quite a long time ago already, is that on several of the machines some Xfce panel applets forget their settings every few days.

More detailed: The problematic applets are the Weather applet and the Sensors applet. They seem to drop the settings simultaneously. They loose all their settings. Other applets do not loose settings at all. The settings losses are not correlated to package updates. The same problems is known to appear regularly on 3 out of 5 machines that are available for testing. The machines are all used by different users, so PEBCAC (problem exists between chair and computer  ;)) might be the reason for the problem.

I had a look at the log files (~/.xsession-errors and the output of xfce4-panel with verbose option switched on) and could not find any differences between the case of missing settings and the case after they have been reentered. If needed, I can provide those log files.

Also, I could not find where the settings are stored. In ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-panel.xml only the applets themselves are entered but none of their settings (this is however also the case for other applets which don't loose their settings).

Thanks in advance for any hints,
Photon

Offline eugen-b

• Support Team
  • Branch: testing
  • Desktop: LXDE, Fluxbox, JWM, LXQt, bspwm
  • GPU Card: Intel 82945G/GZ
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: 4.5, 4.6
Re: Two Xfce panel applets "forget" their settings randomly
« Reply #1 on: 07. May 2016, 21:35:46 »
I used to have the same issue with sensors applet. I think it has to do with updating the kernel. It doesn't happen that often so a user has live with it probably. I also noticed that hwmon 0 and hwmon 1 variables in conky switch sometimes. The correspond to folders in /sys and this folder sometimes seems to be set up differently between boots. But it happens to me only on OpenRC. This may be related or not.
MSI Wind Nettop, Intel Atom 230 1.6GHz (64bit), 2GB RAM
DEs: NET-minimal + (LXDE / Fluxbox / JWM); LXQt OpenRC
how to install on btrfs subvolumes
http://manjaro.github.io/donate/

Offline Photon

• Jr. Mitglied
« Reply #2 on: 08. May 2016, 14:14:14 »
Actually, the problem seems to happen even if no update has been installed. I now found where the applet settings are stored, in ~/.config/xfce4/panel/

On machines where the problem appeared, there were two settings file for the weather applet: weather-[#1].rc and weather-[#2].rc where #1 is smaller than #2. The applet loads weather-[#1].rc which includes default settings. When adjusting the settings in the configuration menu, they are written into weather-[#1].rc but apparently reset from time to time. weather-[#2].rc includes the correct settings but it seems like it is never actually loaded. When deleting weather-[#1].rc it is being recreated (with default settings after reboot). I now deleted both files, adjusted the applet settings in the configuration menu (weather-[#1].rc has been generated with correct settings). Will now observe whether the problem keeps appearing with one settings file or not.

Offline Loup

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • Desktop: xfce
  • GPU Card: nvidia GeForce GT 520
  • GPU driver: non-free driver
  • Kernel: 4.4 x64
  • Skill: Novice
« Reply #3 on: 08. May 2016, 19:48:54 »
Hi guys

I have same problem on two Dell machines, on lenovo no problem. On Dell ( multi boot ) the problem seem to appear randomly when i select reboot from menu. If i shut down to go from one distro to another, i never loose weather and sensors. I have another arch xfce base distro installed in the multi boot which doesnt have the problem. From that distro, I tried rebooting many times always without problem. I first thought it was a bios problem, since lenovo machine ( also muti boot ) is problem free.

It doesn't happen that often so a user has live with it probably.

:-X indeed eugen-b

Offline Photon

• Jr. Mitglied
« Reply #4 on: 09. May 2016, 19:24:21 »
@Loup: Well, I'm still observing it, but it looks to me that deleting both configuration files and reconfiguring the applet's settings as described in my previous post solved the problem!

Offline Loup

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • Desktop: xfce
  • GPU Card: nvidia GeForce GT 520
  • GPU driver: non-free driver
  • Kernel: 4.4 x64
  • Skill: Novice
« Reply #5 on: 09. May 2016, 23:18:59 »
@Photon

Thank's Photon for your tip. In my case, i have only one weather.rc + two weather.rc.tmp. I will try your solution anyway.For sensors i have only one .rc file. It is strange that both applet reset together.  ???