Author Topic: [Boot] Error after resizing partition - VFS: unable to mount root fs  (Read 1038 times)

Offline skazy

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Skill: Intermediate
Hello, So recently I've tried to install linux Ubuntu on my laptop along with the existing win7 and Manjaro. Yet, since I've had 2 partitions for windows (it demands two, dunno why they must be two different primary partitions) and 1 partition for manjaro, plus 4GB of swap. Sadly, which I was unaware of, the HDD cannot have more than 4 primary partitions - thus I've decided to remove the swap partition (sick move, I know) and resize the Manjaro one, as I've had a plenty of unused space here, and from that space create a fourth partition for Ubuntu. I did so and happily installed ubuntu.

Sadly, Ubuntu and win7 boot well and properly, as my manjaro does not. While booting it shows a kernel panic with a message:

kernel panic-not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on
unknown block(0,0

Now, I did my googlin' and I've came across a few simple problems - e.g.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1751574
But here they suggest to boot using another kernel - none of my manjaro kernels is working sad
I think that these few sentences about "/boot being out of space" seem to give a clue, but nothing concrete for me. I don't have a separate boot partition.

Here is my partitions table:

("Zastrzezone przez system" means "reserved by the system" and it belongs to win7)
sda1 and 2 are windows 7, sda3 is manjaro and sda4 is ubuntu. I've shrinked sda3 and deleted swap to make space to create sda4.

Any kind help would be appreciated

Offline gohlip

• Held Mitglied
  • Desktop: OpenBox
  • GPU Card: nvidia
  • GPU driver: nonfree
  • Kernel: linux46 - x64
Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% mortality rate.

Offline skazy

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
It helped! Thank you very much! :D

Offline gohlip

• Held Mitglied
  • Desktop: OpenBox
  • GPU Card: nvidia
  • GPU driver: nonfree
  • Kernel: linux46 - x64
Welcome. And welcome to Manjaro
Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% mortality rate.