Author Topic: Plasma5 creates kdeinit5_0 and klauncher*****.1.slave-socket instances in "/"  (Read 2583 times)

Offline Odysseus

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: KDE
  • GPU Card: nVidia GeForce Go 7950 GTX
  • GPU driver: nVidia non-free
  • Kernel: linux44-x64
  • Skill: Intermediate
I've run into an issue that I noticed over the last few days that's a bug or configuration issue in the new Plasma DE. The first time I evoke an escalated privilege action directly from the dolphin menu, or from the command prompt, it creates kdeint5_0 and klauncher*****.1.slave-socket files in "/".

Additionally, every time I evoke an escalated privilege action directly from the dolphin "Root Actions" context menu, or from the command prompt ("Alt-F2" "kdesu app-name), another klauncher*****.1.slave-socket file is created in "/". I know from my many years of using KDE that these files belong elsewhere, such as '/tmp',  '/var/tmp', '/run' or ''/var/run'. They definitely don't belong in "/".

I've deleted them several times, from a TTY VT after logging out, and from a rescue disc, but as soon as I run an escalated privilege action from the "root actions" menu, or from the command prompt, such as editing a config file or starting a root instance of dolphin, the files are recreated.

I've attached a screen capture .jpg illustrating this issue.

I thought that perhaps I had screwed up my installation, but after scanning through the logs nothing obvious appears to be wrong. I even tried reinstalling Manjaro on my spare harddrive, but the same thing immediately occurred again.

On a side note, it seems that X appears to be running on TTY1, which I find highly unusual. Every previous distro I remember using X runs on TTY7 or 8. I doubt if this is related, but I do find it quite odd.

I'm rather frustrated at the moment. I've tried googling but can't find any solutions. I'm a newbie to Manjaro, but not to Linux, however, I'm not an IT guy either. I'm a 54 year old truck driver, self taught with computers, which has been my hobby for decades. I ran Gentoo for 12 years and several other distros for years before that, but have never encountered such a problem. So I ask for some patience as well as assistance in resolving this.

I'm at my wit's end. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Note: I originally posted this in the wrong forum, so I re-posted here. Thank you for your patience and consideration. Again, any help resolving will be greatly appreciated.

Edited: for more clarity and to add the comment about X running on TTY1.
« Last Edit: 07. May 2016, 14:05:39 by Odysseus »

Offline gohlip

• Held Mitglied
  • Desktop: OpenBox
  • GPU Card: nvidia
  • GPU driver: nonfree
  • Kernel: linux46 - x64
It is not good practice to use "su -" for graphical apps (in your case, dolphin).
If you must (and I don't see why you need this for dolphin), use "kdesu <gui>" like "kdesu kate.....",
Further, you can at (user) dolphin, at command line (F4), issue a root command like example : "sudo mv <file0> <file1>"
There is absolutely no need to open dolphin as root. Anyway, if done properly (not su), it will open to a "root" dolphin, never a "user" dolphin (with root priviledge).
If not done well, as in your case, it will complicate user and root (in the /) and results as what you are seeing.

There have been a rare few who insists on doing what you're doing but I assume you're just not aware of the consequences.
Welcome to Manjaro.

Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% mortality rate.

Offline Odysseus

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
It is not good practice to use "su -" for graphical apps (in your case, dolphin).
If you must (and I don't see why you need this for dolphin), use "kdesu <gui>" like "kdesu kate.....",
Further, you can at (user) dolphin, at command line (F4), issue a root command like example : "sudo mv <file0> <file1>"
There is absolutely no need to open dolphin as root. Anyway, if done properly (not su), it will open to a "root" dolphin, never a "user" dolphin (with root priviledge).
If not done well, as in your case, it will complicate user and root (in the /) and results as what you are seeing.

There have been a rare few who insists on doing what you're doing but I assume you're just not aware of the consequences.
Welcome to Manjaro.

Thank you for responding. I must have not been clear in my original post, so I'll elaborate further with more detail to avoid further confusion.

Yes, you are correct. Running graphical apps as root from a terminal is never a good idea. I learned this many years ago the hard way when I first started with Linux. Because of this, I never run such graphical applications with "su" or "sudo" in a terminal.

I either run them directly from the command prompt "Alt-F2" using "kdesu app-name" or "kdesudo app-name" depending on the distro (Kubuntu for example, uses kdesudo, while Manjaro and Gentoo use kdesu).

Additionally, there is a context menu when you right click on an object in Dolphin, entitled "Root Actions". From there a is a sub-menu with a number of useful actions for system administration, depending on if the object is a file or directory. It is from that "Root Actions" sub-menu where I refer, in my original post, to evoking an escalated privilege action directly from dolphin.

I hope this clarifies my original post. Thanks again.

Again, any help or ideas with this issue is greatly appreciated. TIA
« Last Edit: 07. May 2016, 09:25:21 by Odysseus »

Offline gohlip

• Held Mitglied
Alright, understand you perfectly now. However, I don't know how to resolve this issue. Sorry. If someone else can help, that will be great.

Good luck. Cheers.

Offline conky57

• Held Mitglied
  • Branch: testing
  • Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.8.4 (16.10 Fringilla) w/OpenRC
  • GPU Card: M92 Ati Mobility Radeon HD 4500 Series
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: 3.18.32-1-MANJARO - x86_64
  • Skill: Novice
Thank you for responding. I must have not been clear in my original post, so I'll elaborate further with more detail to avoid further confusion.

Yes, you are correct. Running graphical apps as root from a terminal is never a good idea. I learned this many years ago the hard way when I first started with Linux. Because of this, I never run such graphical applications with "su" or "sudo" in a terminal.

I either run them directly from the command prompt "Alt-F2" using "kdesu app-name" or "kdesudo app-name" depending on the distro (Kubuntu for example, uses kdesudo, while Manjaro and Gentoo use kdesu).

Additionally, there is a context menu when you right click on an object in Dolphin, entitled "Root Actions". From there a is a sub-menu with a number of useful actions for system administration, depending on if the object is a file or directory. It is from that "Root Actions" sub-menu where I refer, in my original post, to evoking an escalated privilege action directly from dolphin.

I hope this clarifies my original post. Thanks again.

Again, any help or ideas with this issue is greatly appreciated. TIA

I too have encountered this same thing happening when I use dolphin as you describe. I have not been able to discover why, so can offer little help for solving the issue. What I have done is to use krusader instead whenever I need to do anything requiring escalated priviledges. The downside is that krusader has yet to be fully ported to plasma 5, so krusader-git must be installed from AUR. It does build and function fine however. I quite like krusader, and I feel it's better suited for escalated priviledges actions.  :)

Best regards. 
Be kind to everyone, because everyone is fighting some sort of battle.

LinuxCounter registered user  #278931

Offline scachemaille

• Held Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Branch: Unstable
  • Desktop: Plasma 5
  • GPU Card: nVidia GT 330M
  • GPU driver: Nouveau
  • Kernel: 4.8_x64
I have the same issue, and it seems to be reported upstream
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=356098

Offline Odysseus

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
Thank you all for your responses! I'm glad it's an upstream bug and not my configuration.

Now the question is if this is a plasma or systemd issue. I'm pretty new to systemd and just learning to navigate my way around it. I've been using OpenRC in Gentoo for many years and before that just about every distro used other variations of SystemV. So I'm much more familiar with that type init setup.

I guess the only way to really tell if it is systemd or plasma related, would be if those running plasma5 with another init system are experiencing this or not.

In the meantime, thanks again for the responses.
« Last Edit: 07. May 2016, 15:55:29 by Odysseus »

Offline conky57

• Held Mitglied
Thank you all for your responses! I'm glad it's an upstream bug and not my configuration.

Now the question is if this is a plasma or systemd issue. I'm pretty new to systemd and just learning to navigate my way around it. I've been using OpenRC in Gentoo for many years and before that just about every distro used other variations of SystemV. So I'm much more familiar with that type init setup.

I guess the only way to really tell if it is systemd or plasma related, would be if those running plasma5 with another init system are experiencing this or not.

In the meantime, thanks again for the responses.

It's not systemd related in my case since I use OpenRC init. ;)

Best regards.

Offline gohlip

• Held Mitglied
Just to add, not that it helps here...
I do not have the issue you have  (kdeint5_0 and klauncher*****.1.slave-socket files...) and I use dolphin and use the root command (F4) there a lot there (not context menu).
Also systemd.

Not helping anyone here, but just some thing to think about.

Cheers again.

Offline conky57

• Held Mitglied
Just to add, not that it helps here...
I do not have the issue you have  (kdeint5_0 and klauncher*****.1.slave-socket files...) and I use dolphin and use the root command (F4) there a lot there (not context menu).
Also systemd.

Not helping anyone here, but just some thing to think about.

Cheers again.

Indeed. I find this very strange. It has been a sort of "off and on" thing for me. There are times when it didn't seem to be happening, and other times that it was.....lately it's prevalent.

Best regards.

Offline Odysseus

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
@gohlip, "F4" opens a terminal as your regular user in the lower portion of the dolphin window, correct? So the affect is opening a terminal in the current directly without additional privileges, then invoking kdesu and launch what app I want from there.

I just tried it, and you're correct. It doesn't generate any additional slave-socket instances. I guess I can use this as a workaround until it's fixed upstream. The only drag is one of the great new features of plasma5 are the enhancements to dolphin and being able to directly access common admin functions right from the context menu is a great convenience.

Hopefully, the upstream developers will be able to squash this in time for the next point release.

In any event, thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try for awhile and see how I get used to it.

Offline gohlip

• Held Mitglied
@gohlip, "F4" opens a terminal as your regular user in the lower portion of the dolphin window, correct? So the affect is opening a terminal in the current directly without additional privileges, then invoking kdesu and launch what app I want from there.

In any event, thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try for awhile and see how I get used to it.
Yes, that's right. It opens at lower portion of dolphin. And yes, I use commands like "sudo  mv ...." or "sudo cp ...." "sudo rm ...." there.
I seldom (trying to recall..) use "kdesu kate..." there though I normally do that from the 'main' terminal (konsole) like "kdesu kate /boot/grub/grub.cfg"... though I think it can also be done (yes! recalled, done before) at the 'dolphin terminal'.

Good to hear this problem is at least 'avoided'.
Cheers and welcome to Manjaro.

Offline scachemaille

• Held Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
I had these files. I deleted them and tried to use some root action from dolphin (open with kate, move/rename, delete) and no files got created in /.
I tried to launch dolphin with kdesu and it created the files.
it seems to come if we launch dolphin with kdesu. (something I try to avoid to do. ;) )

and I get the same error than in the bug report.
Code: [Select]
07.05.16 19:03 dolphin QStandardPaths: wrong ownership on runtime directory /run/user/1000, 1000 instead of 0
07.05.16 19:03 dolphin Trying to convert empty KLocalizedString to QString.
07.05.16 19:03 dolphin QStandardPaths: wrong ownership on runtime directory /run/user/1000, 1000 instead of 0
07.05.16 19:03 dolphin klauncher not running... launching kdeinit
07.05.16 19:03 kdeinit5 QStandardPaths: wrong ownership on runtime directory /run/user/1000, 1000 instead of 0
07.05.16 19:03 kdeinit5 QStandardPaths: wrong ownership on runtime directory /run/user/1000, 1000 instead of 0
07.05.16 19:03 kdeinit5 Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
« Last Edit: 07. May 2016, 19:10:57 by scachemaille »

Offline gohlip

• Held Mitglied
it seems to come if we launch dolphin with kdesu. (something I try to avoid to do. ;) )
Good point. It's something I never do.

Offline scachemaille

• Held Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
I don't get it. it's not reproducible. I tried several times. and it create the files only once..