Author Topic: In-depth question about the various desktops for Manjaro from a Deepin Newbie  (Read 1162 times)

Offline ike2552

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Skill: Novice
Hi everyone,

Sorry for the odd title but I didn't quite know how else to classify it.

I downloaded Manjaro Deepin to try it out about a week ago and I absolutely love it. I was running the latest experimental kernel which has already changed rc's 3 times LOL. It seems to run great on my Asus X553M laptop. I love how my touch screen worked on the first boot and my system would also shut down without any problems. I've been distro hopping for almost a year tying to find the perfect one for me.

Right now my go to distro is SolydK because it is the only distro that works flawlessly. My only issue with it is the slow startup time and the slow app startup times. Also because it is Debian based the software is not always the latest. Manjaro Deepin has been lightning fast for me but I cannot install my printer (Samsung C410W) properly. I had to download the PPD file from Samsung and also a rostertospl file. I keep getting filter failure messages in CUPS. I have already made a post in the Newbie section but I have not gotten any replies.

After doing a little research on the forums it seems that different desktop environments may have more success with certain things. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the only difference in desktop environments was visual with a few different apps. Would the printer drivers also be different?

If there is a difference, would I be able to install different desktop environments using pacman or do I need to do a completely new install for every version I'd like to try?

Please note I am a newbie who doesn't know terminal language at all. I would need hand-holding style directions on how to do anything non GUI.

Thanks for your interest and kind support.

Offline ike2552

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
Well, after a week of frustration I decided to give up on keeping this distro and just decided to mess with it any way I could think of to see if my printer would work. I solved the problem myself browsing an Ubuntu forum. I posted my steps on my other post. I have to say I'm disappointed in the lack of support on the forums. I researched many reviews of this distro before installing it and they all said it was a very friendly and active community with many helpful people. I have not had this experience at all. For a newbie trying to better himself by leaving Windows and joining the Linux world this really discouraging.  :(

Offline withjaro

• Held Mitglied
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: openrc
  • GPU Card: geforce7150/ATIx2300
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: linux4xxx-x64
sad that you experienced less than you expected ike2552 - the only thing i can offer as an explanation was recent events regarding themes becoming broken due to external libraries,meant most of the developers were very busy and many of the users were altering their desktops - and you were simply overlooked - added you posted in one of the less used community editions so the userbase with the confidence to answer your queries is reduced.

Welcome anyway ... i hope your impression has reason to improve in the future

Many regards

PS.. the 'base' Manjaro install ... even without a desktop environment will still support any or all peripheral drivers ... as far as multiple environments ... you will receive a degree of conflicting opinion as to the merits of doing so ... many users do so without issue ... but a degree of awareness and care is required ... indeed you 'could' make alternate partitions for different desktops,some would view this as overkill ... on a single partition dependences and permissions are advised to be studied,to avoid possible conflicts. ... if ive missed anything,maybe others will fill in the blanks .   

addy - please enter your default desktop and GPU details in your profile - this can be a discouragement to aid - though you are not to know this - take care - have fun :)
« Last Edit: 04. May 2016, 06:44:32 by withjaro »
< insert your own inspiring quotation - and smile :) >

Offline badbodh

• Held Mitglied
  • Windows assumes I'm stupid, Linux proves it.
  • Branch: Testing
  • Desktop: Xfce, i3
  • GPU Card: Intel Mobile 4 Series
  • Kernel: linux41 64-bit
  • Skill: Intermediate
don;t be frustrated. You just chose an obscure corner of the forum that's all. In "newbie section" you'd have been bombarded with replies. Plus do a forum search, there have been lengthy discussions regarding multple-DE setup and merit/demerits of <insert a DE/WM here> before. Besides, never ask "which is the best xxxxx for me?" in a forum, 100 different opinions will only confuse you further. Install it all, use it and decide for yourself. It will take months, even years, before you say "ok. I choose you!"

For printer problems ask here https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?board=4.0
You can't feel the love till it hurts a little. Go rolling, go bleeding-edge !

Offline Heart Of A Lion

• Sr. Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: Xfce, Enlightenment
  • GPU Card: ATi 7770 . . . . . . . CPU: AMD octacore 4GHz
  • GPU driver: Free (video-ATI)
  • Kernel: 4.6 (x64)
My suggestion would be to post in the Newbie Corner forum section next time, because there is where most users tend to be online. It will increase your chance for a response. The community and devs are generally quite helpful.

Offline badbodh

• Held Mitglied
  • Windows assumes I'm stupid, Linux proves it.
  • Branch: Testing
  • Desktop: Xfce, i3
  • GPU Card: Intel Mobile 4 Series
  • Kernel: linux41 64-bit
What do you mean by "generally" ?  >:(
You can't feel the love till it hurts a little. Go rolling, go bleeding-edge !

Offline Heart Of A Lion

• Sr. Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: Xfce, Enlightenment
  • GPU Card: ATi 7770 . . . . . . . CPU: AMD octacore 4GHz
  • GPU driver: Free (video-ATI)
  • Kernel: 4.6 (x64)
What do you mean by "generally" ?  >:(

I mean that most people on here tend to be helpful.

Offline lojze

• Neuling
  • Branch: Arch Linux
  • Desktop: Xfce
  • GPU Card: ATI Radeon 5450
  • Kernel: 4.4.8-1-lts Arch & 4.5.1-1 Arch
I mean that most people on here tend to be helpful.

and there is c00ter, pleasantly aged and erudite, to help  >:D

Offline Chrysostomus

• Maintainer
  • Neckbeards are cool
    • Git
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: Gnome, bspwm
  • GPU Card: Intel HD4000
  • Kernel: linux44-x64
I solved the problem myself browsing an Ubuntu forum. I posted my steps on my other post. I have to say I'm disappointed in the lack of support on the forums. I researched many reviews of this distro before installing it and they all said it was a very friendly and active community with many helpful people. I have not had this experience at all.

Sorry you did not answers you sought. It happens sometimes, has happened to me several times. Mostly it is about right person not finding your thread at the relevant time.

I think describing manjaro community as friendly and active is accurate, with following caveats:
1) relativity. Manjaro community is much more newbie friendly than arch community, and has less expectations for asking questions the smart way and doing your own research. However, mint and ubuntu are even more newbie oriented distros, with a community to match them.

2) size. Manjaro is not a tiny distro, but not a huge one either, and has no corporate backing like ubuntu or fedora. Also, manjaro relies more on the excellent documentation of arch wiki, so some questions get asked less. With community of this size, you have fair chance of finding a user that can answer your question, but sometimes there are misses too.

For example, I stumbled across your thread just now. Had I seen it before, I would have wanted to help, but could not have without doing a few hours of research on the matter.

Offline c00ter

• Held Mitglied
  • Towelie's cupcake
  • Branch: ☮Olive☮
  • Desktop: Depends©
  • GPU Card: Intel HD4400M CPU: Core i7-4510U
  • GPU driver: Intel/Free
  • Kernel: 4.4-lts & 4.5
and there is c00ter, pleasantly aged and erudite, to help  >:D

Haraharhar! Just 'cause I enjoy being an old grumpus some days, you gonna make me out to be a fun guy? No way. ;)
“What, me worry?” ― Alfred E. Newman

Manjaro Wiki: https://wiki.manjaro.org/
Arch Wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/
Pacman Rosetta: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Rosetta

Offline c00ter

• Held Mitglied
  • Towelie's cupcake
  • Branch: ☮Olive☮
  • Desktop: Depends©
  • GPU Card: Intel HD4400M CPU: Core i7-4510U
  • GPU driver: Intel/Free
  • Kernel: 4.4-lts & 4.5
OP, when you chose Deepin, you chose a desktop environment that has just now barely gotten to the working stage on an Arch base. Deepin's parent distro--on a Debian base--has many of these same problems.

It is not representative of the best Manjaro has to offer because of that newness.

Please, you owe it to yourself to try Manjaro's flagship environments, Xfce or KDE.

Regards
“What, me worry?” ― Alfred E. Newman

Manjaro Wiki: https://wiki.manjaro.org/
Arch Wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/
Pacman Rosetta: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Rosetta

Offline eugen-b

• Support Team
  • Branch: testing
  • Desktop: LXDE, Fluxbox, JWM, LXQt, bspwm
  • GPU Card: Intel 82945G/GZ
  • Kernel: 4.5, 4.6
Printer, scanner and other peripherals issues are the least likely to be solved on such a forum. Don't expect too much!
Also, the question wasn't formulated as a help request. Maybe a little less n00b praise for Manjaro and n00b complaints about other distros and a more focused post.
« Last Edit: 04. May 2016, 17:50:11 by eugen-b »
MSI Wind Nettop, Intel Atom 230 1.6GHz (64bit), 2GB RAM
DEs: NET-minimal + (LXDE / Fluxbox / JWM); LXQt OpenRC
how to install on btrfs subvolumes
http://manjaro.github.io/donate/

Offline curiouseag

• Sr. Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: undicieded
  • GPU Card: Intel Core i3-5010U
  • GPU driver: Intel
  • Kernel: grsec self build
  • Skill: Advanced
the aur "arch user repository" has a bunch of samsung printer drivers. Just search for the model or for samsung
https://aur.archlinux.org/

with printers it is always trial and error. Good for you you figured it out.

I did like to add, I do not own a printer. Yes I can post stuff I think could help you but I prefer someone more experienced with the matter answering.
Right now I have a thinkpad user with strange powersavings. He looses gpu acceleration on battery. Can not help with that. Told to post in hw forum.