Author Topic: How to downgrade GTK 3.20 to restore themes broken by the upgrade  (Read 4463 times)

Offline cim

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: OpenRC XFCE
  • Skill: Novice
Warning: do not attempt this unless you are comfortable chasing down package dependency chains.
The easy fix is to switch to a theme compatible with GTK 3.20, even if only temporarily.

The recent upgrade of GTK3 (to version 3.20) broke many themes. If you would like to downgrade GTK3 to restore functionality of your favorite older theme, only a few older packages are needed. Older Arch packages can be found here (organized alphabetically): https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/

The needed packages are gtk3, gtkmm3, and vte3 and vte-common if you use the pamac package manager. I found that downgrading gtk3 without also downgrading the vte packages caused the pamac package manager to always crash. The command line pacman would still work, but it's much easier to downgrade the vte packages before downgrading gtk3. Downgrading gtkmm3 is required if you use pulseaudio, since the volume control program (pavucontrol) won't work with the newer gtkmm3 and the older gtk3, and maybe other applications also. Those are the only packages I found that needed downgrading. If others discover more, feel free to chime in.

Edit: It was pointed out that gnome apps (such as gnome terminal) would also have to be downgraded, if those are installed. So downgrading GTK3 may not be a good idea if you use the cinnamon desktop, for example.

My previous gtk3 version was 3.18.9-1, which can be found here: https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/g/gtk3/
gtkmm3 was 3.18.0-2, found here: https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/g/gtkmm3/
vte3 was 0.42.5-1, found here: https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/v/vte3/
and vte-common also 0.42.5-1, here: https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/v/vte-common/
(remember to select the tar.xz package for i686 for 32-bit installs or x64 for 64-bit installs)

Edit: On 64-bit installs, if you're running any 32-bit applications and they still don't work with the older theme after downgrading gtk3, then the lib32-gtk3 package may also need downgrading. I run 32-bit so can't test this.

You may be able to find these packages in your pacman cache (/var/cache/pacman/pkg) if it hasn't been cleared. If so, you could use the command line for downgrading, like this (or easier, like this):
Code: [Select]
# cd /var/cache/pacman/pkg/
# pacman -U <file_name_of_the_package>

Or just gather the needed packages and double-click on them to install with the graphical pamac installer. Start with the vte packages to make sure pamac will continue to work for you. Once all four packages are downgraded, reboot to use the older GTK3. Your older themes should work again after the reboot.

To ensure that these packages are not inadvertently upgraded later, an entry needs to be made in the pacman.conf file. Here's how to do it manually (if there's an easier way, please let us know). The pacman configuration file is /etc/pacman.conf. Make a backup copy before editing it. Then right-click and "Edit as root." Look for the "IgnorePkg" line. Remove the # and add the downgraded package names after the = separated by spaces. Like this:
# Pacman won't upgrade packages listed in IgnorePkg and members of IgnoreGroup
IgnorePkg   = gtk3 gtkmm3 vte-common vte3
#IgnoreGroup =

That should prevent the pamac updater from updating those packages later. If your favorite themes get updated for the new GTK3, just remove these package names from the ignore list and update.

[mod edit: add warning text]
« Last Edit: 04. May 2016, 22:11:08 by jonathon »

Offline Ste74

• Support Team
  • sudo pacman -Rs windows && sudo pacman -S manjaro
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: Budgie / Gnome / Pantheon (testing)
  • GPU Card: ATI/Intel mobility radeon hd 5400
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: linux4.x -x86_64 series
  • Skill: Advanced
Re: How to downgrade GTK 3.20 to restore older themes
« Reply #1 on: 28. April 2016, 15:39:33 »
Nice but you after that no connect to internet? No install anything ? Your installation have to be freeze and all pkg downgraded want list in ignore pkg in pacman.conf .. really is good ?

Edit : you have add ok..
Pantheon Community Edition & Budgie Desktop Edition
www.forum.manjaro-it.org
Canale IRC italiano
#manjaro-it

Offline cim

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
« Reply #2 on: 28. April 2016, 15:53:02 »
Are you saying that there will be many applications depending on the newer versions of GTK3? If so, this might be just a temporary fix until more themes are updated (or created) for GTK 3.20.

Offline fassil

• Support Team
  • Branch: stable/unstable
  • Desktop: E19/E20
  • Kernel: Linux314 & 318
  • Skill: Intermediate
« Reply #3 on: 28. April 2016, 15:57:10 »
'LLo,
Quote from: cim
You may be able to find these packages in your pacman cache (/var/cache/pacman/pkg) if it hasn't been cleared. If someone more familiar with pacman knows how to downgrade these packages from the cache easily, please let us know.

With <downgrade> package/command, they'll be marked as local & it ask you after installation for ignoring stuff
downgrade packagename
Without:
cd/var/cache/pacman/pkg
sudo pacman -U fullpackagename
"Are you enlightened ?"

Offline cim

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
« Reply #4 on: 28. April 2016, 16:02:40 »
That's good to know, fassil. Thanks.

I see it's a Manjaro script, nice: wiki: Using Downgrade
« Last Edit: 28. April 2016, 16:14:47 by cim »

Offline papa33

• Jr. Mitglied
Re: How to downgrade GTK 3.20 to restore themes broken by the upgrade
« Reply #5 on: 28. April 2016, 20:07:20 »
Downgrading to gtk3 3.18 will also break a lot of gnome 3.20 apps like gnome-terminal for example, so you basically have to downgrade all the gnome stuff (in cinnamon there are several gnome apps used by default). Not easy to find exactly what packages you have to downgrade.
The only solution would be that somebody would be kind enough to make a gnome/gtk3 3.18 repo, that we could add on top of all other repos in /etc/pacman.conf and then it would be as simple as "yaourt -Syyuu".

Offline binki

• Neuling
  • Desktop: xfce4
  • GPU Card: nvidia geforce 7300 gt
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Kernel: 3.16xx x86_64
This would definitely be helpful :) - in my case, after the new gtk 3.20 update chromium stopped playing videos and .gifs :( .

Offline mandog

• Held Mitglied
  • Architect Forum And G+ Forum Owner With Daniel S
  • Branch: All
  • Desktop: Gnome, Mate, E19, Openbox,FLuxbox,Budgie, XFCE openRC,
  • GPU Card: nvidia
  • GPU driver: Non Free
  • Kernel: latest
There are plenty of themes available for 3.20 arc-dark, arc-light Manjaro, many on Deviantart  You Knew this was a rolling release you get the latest software with sometimes a slight inconvenience, Why think the wheel should be reinvented. the same will happen in 6 months 
A ENGLISHMAN IN PERU
I'm dyslexic Please do not complain about punctuation or spelling,
FANBOY,Taken from the urban dictionary
 A pathetic insult often used by fanboys themselves to try and put down people who don't like whatever it is they like.

Offline Heart Of A Lion

• Sr. Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: Xfce, Enlightenment
  • GPU Card: ATi 7770 . . . . . . . CPU: AMD octacore 4GHz
  • GPU driver: Free (video-ATI)
  • Kernel: 4.6 (x64)
While a useful tutorial for the moment, I think at some point we'll have to migrate to the new GTK anyway, sooner or later. For the moment there are a few inconveniences like broken themes, but some of them work for the most part. Some of them will be upgraded to support the new GTK version and if not then we can always switch to Vertex Maia which works almost without flaw, almost.

Offline c00ter

• Held Mitglied
  • Towelie's cupcake
  • Branch: ☮Olive☮
  • Desktop: Depends©
  • GPU Card: Intel HD4400M CPU: Core i7-4510U
  • GPU driver: Intel/Free
  • Kernel: 4.4-lts & 4.5
While a useful tutorial for the moment, I think at some point we'll have to migrate to the new GTK anyway, sooner or later. For the moment there are a few inconveniences like broken themes, but some of them work for the most part. Some of them will be upgraded to support the new GTK version and if not then we can always switch to Vertex Maia which works almost without flaw, almost.

Absolutely! It just came as a shock to most users the depth of impact changes in the GTK3 API have on EVERY desktop environment that is not QT or GTK2. GNOME.org & developers wield a very, very big stick.

It would be simpler to go to a fixed-release distro, that to roll-back, forward, sideways. Not to mention trying to support every desktop that users do this on. Patience, as Heart Of A Lion suggests. When you all signed-up for a rolling-release model, you signed-up for all that entails.

GNOME.org should charge a fee--like Tom Sawyer--for all the great experience everyone is getting!  >:D

Regards
« Last Edit: 04. May 2016, 21:07:55 by c00ter »
“What, me worry?” ― Alfred E. Newman

Manjaro Wiki: https://wiki.manjaro.org/
Arch Wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/
Pacman Rosetta: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Rosetta

Offline eugen-b

• Support Team
  • Branch: testing
  • Desktop: LXDE, Fluxbox, JWM, LXQt, bspwm
  • GPU Card: Intel 82945G/GZ
  • Kernel: 4.5, 4.6
It just came as a shock to most users the depth of impact changes in the GTK3 API have on EVERY desktop environment that is not KDE.
I don't have any gtk3 on LXDE or LXQt. :P
MSI Wind Nettop, Intel Atom 230 1.6GHz (64bit), 2GB RAM
DEs: NET-minimal + (LXDE / Fluxbox / JWM); LXQt OpenRC
how to install on btrfs subvolumes
http://manjaro.github.io/donate/

Offline AJ1000

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Desktop: LXQT
  • GPU Card: NVidia
  • GPU driver: Free
Thumbs up for LXQT from me.

Offline c00ter

• Held Mitglied
  • Towelie's cupcake
  • Branch: ☮Olive☮
  • Desktop: Depends©
  • GPU Card: Intel HD4400M CPU: Core i7-4510U
  • GPU driver: Intel/Free
  • Kernel: 4.4-lts & 4.5
I don't have any gtk3 on LXDE or LXQt. :P

You are correct. A nominal *duh* moment. Will correct. Thanks. :D
“What, me worry?” ― Alfred E. Newman

Manjaro Wiki: https://wiki.manjaro.org/
Arch Wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/
Pacman Rosetta: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Rosetta

Offline cimarron

• Neuling
  • I'm nude. Be nice!
  • Desktop: XFCE OpenRC
Yes, I started this thread to offer a temporary solution, good for waiting until more theme options were available. (I have already found a new combination of GTK3.20 and WM themes that work for me.) In XFCE, it was so much easier than I thought to downgrade GTK3 that it seemed others might like to know.

Also good to learn how downgrading packages works, how to do it manually (if needed), and keep pacman from upgrading those packages. The latest stable update also broke samba for me, so I've downgraded those packages as well, waiting for fixes.
« Last Edit: 04. May 2016, 21:40:50 by cimarron »

Offline mandog

• Held Mitglied
  • Architect Forum And G+ Forum Owner With Daniel S
  • Branch: All
  • Desktop: Gnome, Mate, E19, Openbox,FLuxbox,Budgie, XFCE openRC,
  • GPU Card: nvidia
  • GPU driver: Non Free
  • Kernel: latest
The next upgrade will break even more apps, You can't go backwards better to go to Debian if you want the same theme for years or just accept the rolling release system and don't be reliant on Distro themes and Icons as they just don't cut it, I had to change my theme in 3.20 the 1st time in 18 months using Arch/Manjaro.
A ENGLISHMAN IN PERU
I'm dyslexic Please do not complain about punctuation or spelling,
FANBOY,Taken from the urban dictionary
 A pathetic insult often used by fanboys themselves to try and put down people who don't like whatever it is they like.