Author Topic: Spatry's 5 Favorite Linux Distributions for Beginners 2016 Manjaro No. 1  (Read 7010 times)

Offline Beto

• Jr. Mitglied
  • I'm newBe nice!
  • Branch: Stable/
  • Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.6/JWM
  • GPU Card: ATI Radeon HD 2600
  • GPU driver: Free
  • Kernel: Linux44
  • Skill: Novice
No, no, there is indeed an Indonesian Mt. Kilimanjaro. Hey, probably half the world thinks as you do. :D

Regards

I didn't even know that.
So, yeah...

Offline oberon

• Core Team
  • I'm nice. Be new!
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: i3, Deepin, Cinnamon
  • GPU Card: Intel ValleyView Gen7
  • GPU driver: Intel
  • Kernel: 4.1 / 4.4
  • Skill: Intermediate
I struggle climbing out of my bed.
I know... Sometimes that can be the highest mountain of all ;) ::)
manjaro is addictive ::)
* manjaro-i3  * manjaro-cinnamon  * manjaro-deepin

Offline badbodh

• Held Mitglied
  • Windows assumes I'm stupid, Linux proves it.
  • Branch: Testing
  • Desktop: Xfce, i3
  • GPU Card: Intel Mobile 4 Series
  • Kernel: linux41 64-bit
I struggle climbing out of my bed.
just keep rolling, till a hard and flat surface hits you #lifehacks
You can't feel the love till it hurts a little. Go rolling, go bleeding-edge !

Offline steanne

• Neuling
  • Desktop: xfce
  • GPU Card: GTX970
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Kernel: 4.4.6-1
No, no, there is indeed an Indonesian Mt. Kilimanjaro. Hey, probably half the world thinks as you do. :D

Regards

maps or it didn't happen.

Offline c00ter

• Held Mitglied
  • Towelie's cupcake
  • Branch: ☮Olive☮
  • Desktop: Depends©
  • GPU Card: Intel HD4400M CPU: Core i7-4510U
  • GPU driver: Intel/Free
  • Kernel: 4.4-lts & 4.5
maps or it didn't happen.

OK, looks like there was one person I couldn't fool.  >:D There is a climbing company called Seven Summits headquartered in Indonesia that has summitrd Mt. Kilimanjaro. SO...drum roll...photos of Mt. Kilimanjaro indonesia: https://www.google.com/search?q=Mt.+Kilimanjaro+indonesia&biw=1609&bih=925&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjwiJWgprXMAhUG9WMKHRYcDfUQsAQITw
“What, me worry?” ― Alfred E. Newman

Manjaro Wiki: https://wiki.manjaro.org/
Arch Wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/
Pacman Rosetta: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Rosetta

Offline EmJe

• Neuling
  • Emjueh!
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: Netrunner Rolling 2016
  • GPU Card: Radeon R5
  • Kernel: linux41-x64
???

???

???

???

???

???

Wanna make a quizz? ;) One of these is definitely in Indonesia - that one I know for sure because I actually climbed it 8) ;D

Equator line crossed majority of our nation. So, we don't have a single snowy mountain(well, except one. Kilimanjaro. Jayawijaya is in Africa ^-^).

My best guess would be the fifth picture. ^-^
Dang, i haven't had a chance to get there.. ;D

Offline oberon

• Core Team
  • I'm nice. Be new!
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: i3, Deepin, Cinnamon
  • GPU Card: Intel ValleyView Gen7
  • GPU driver: Intel
  • Kernel: 4.1 / 4.4
My best guess would be the fifth picture. ^-^
BINGO! You just won a livetime free system-upgrades! Congratulations ::)
Gunung Agung in Bali. I climbed it 16 years ago in the dense fog, trying to keep up with the local guide, who was literally running ahead in his flip-flops ;D Sometimes you could hear the rumbling of the volcano beneath and when we stopped for breakfast the guide impressed us by cooking some eggs in a little steaming hole on the ground :o 8)

I've been in all sorts of places all over the planet, but never to Africa. I guess I should change that one day - if it's only to check if the snowy mountain is really there ;) ;D
manjaro is addictive ::)
* manjaro-i3  * manjaro-cinnamon  * manjaro-deepin

Offline EmJe

• Neuling
  • Emjueh!
  • Desktop: Netrunner Rolling 2016
  • GPU Card: Radeon R5
  • Kernel: linux41-x64
BINGO! You just won a livetime free system-upgrades! Congratulations ::)
Gunung Agung in Bali. I climbed it 16 years ago in the dense fog, trying to keep up with the local guide, who was literally running ahead in his flip-flops ;D Sometimes you could hear the rumbling of the volcano beneath and when we stopped for breakfast the guide impressed us by cooking some eggs in a little steaming hole on the ground :o 8)

I've been in all sorts of places all over the planet, but never to Africa. I guess I should change that one day - if it's only to check if the snowy mountain is really there ;) ;D

Why, thank you for the upgrades  ^-^

All over the planet? That's awesome  :o

Offline crazyg4merz

• Held Mitglied
  • Experience it, that's the way of learning!!
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: Gnome
  • GPU Card: Nvidia GTX 970
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Kernel: Linux420-x64
This topic became all about mountains  ;D
Indonesia is a country with 10.200 islands guys, and I live in one of the island near Singapore. The places I've ever been are Jakarta, Surabaya, Bandung, Pekanbaru. Will be going to visit Bali soon, I'm such a failure of this country  :P

Offline MadmanRB

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Always thinking, always crazy
  • Desktop: Cinnamon 2.8.5
  • GPU Card: Intel HD Graphics 4600
  • GPU driver: Free and proprietary, depending on need
  • Kernel: 4.1.13
Yep have to agree with you about reviews for beginners would be more insightful if they shared their experiences of different distro's.
His video is nothing more than his preferences and likes and didn't go beyond all saying to beginners Ubuntu or Mint kind of thing.

I would not recommend Manjaro for many beginners and/or windows users out there. As know their unwillingness to change or apply learning and fixing things.
They just want a click on the icon experience. The further away from their comfort zone overwhelms them.

Tho Mint Cinnamon or Mate would be the ones I would point them at if they are really motivated enough to learn something new.
Indeed I have to agree Manjaro is not for newbies , to bring this topic back on track I have to say that while manjaro is one of the best distros it is not one of the easiest thanks to its arch base. I feel the Debian/Ubuntu base to be the better for newcomers and mint has a debian/Ubuntu base so I recommend that one first. Then move on to RPM base like mageia which is a great distribution for newcomers as is Rosa and openmandriva. After that then manjaro but only after learning the bases aso the arch base can be unstable
Insanity is only a state of mind

Offline c00ter

• Held Mitglied
  • Towelie's cupcake
  • Branch: ☮Olive☮
  • Desktop: Depends©
  • GPU Card: Intel HD4400M CPU: Core i7-4510U
  • GPU driver: Intel/Free
  • Kernel: 4.4-lts & 4.5
I remember what it was like. And I've thought about this several ways. Basically, just getting Linux is a mind-bender for most Linux newbies, even so-called "Power Users." Once that is done and they didn't explode, they're so clueless you might as well start them off right.

So, I say throw 'em into the deep end. Debian Testing & a wired connection. If they survive the Debian.org Forums they'll be model citizens here. If they have sexual paroxysms with Debian Testing, let 'em hog-out on vanilla Arch. After they get established with Arch, they can come here and relax.  >:D

Decedents will be shipped collect to Redmond. 

Regards
“What, me worry?” ― Alfred E. Newman

Manjaro Wiki: https://wiki.manjaro.org/
Arch Wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/
Pacman Rosetta: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Rosetta

Offline eugen-b

• Support Team
  • Branch: testing
  • Desktop: LXDE, Fluxbox, JWM, LXQt, bspwm
  • GPU Card: Intel 82945G/GZ
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: 4.5, 4.6
With Ubuntu based distros you can get stuck in a metaphoric thinking about package management with all its "app stores", software centers, etc. This can be a difficult barrier to overcome. You can fail to learn about dependencies.
Pure Debian based distros on the other hand helped me understand much more, especially than I tried a netinstall on an antiX-gnu-libre kernel (allows only installing free firmware) having only a WiFi connection available.
On Manjaro it is good that only complicated packages like kernels get a special treatment in Manjaro Settings Manager.
« Last Edit: 01. May 2016, 09:23:37 by eugen-b »
MSI Wind Nettop, Intel Atom 230 1.6GHz (64bit), 2GB RAM
DEs: NET-minimal + (LXDE / Fluxbox / JWM); LXQt OpenRC
how to install on btrfs subvolumes
http://manjaro.github.io/donate/

Offline handy

• Global Moderator
  • Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1-3 & Worker :)
  • GPU Card: intel...
  • GPU driver: open-source
  • Kernel: OpenBSD

There's a multi-novel story by Pillip Jose Farmer about a race of people who can live for centuries. All of the scientists died (long story) and the people left know how to use the technology but they don't know how it actually works or how to
repair it when it breaks.
I get the distinct impression that that is what Microsoft is trying to do to us.
Make us into cattle who know how to use the OS but don't know anything else.

I came to Linux in October 2005, after having spent >10 years as a sole trader IT trouble-shooter, where I had to handle the various versions of Windows problems; hardware problems - it was harder work in the old days - jumpers & everything on motherboards/other cards, plus IRQ's & D**'s & whatever else I can't remember now - let alone the gymnastics you had to do to get various cards to function hardware/driver OS version wise; Windows' general lack of security; network set-up insanity = doing the same thing over & over until you get a different result! :o That result being the one you should have got the first time... & on it went.

Anyway, when I first came to Linux (Debian & then Ubuntu) after being an experienced pro on MS products, there was next to no OS knowledge that I could transport from Windows to Linux. All that I still knew about was hardware! That bold text is primarily what this blurb is all about in combination with the fact that most people don't want to learn anything new anyway.

I've a nephew who IBM re-employed. If you know about IBM, you know that they don't do that. When he returned from working in London for some years, IBM knew that he had & approached him to return to work for them. He was allowed to name his own salary. Even so, my nephew told me that he is terrified of Linux. As he knows that for all of his expertise involving the various Windows systems in corporate scenarios, even being a systems architect in that arena, he still knew that he knows NOTHING about Linux.

When we come from one OS to another (unless it is Linux to/from BSD) we have to almost start again.

Beyond that, re. the post quoted above, I don't think that MS are trying to dumb down their computer users. They are nearly always trying to follow Apple & create what the majority (not I) of users consider Apple products to be. That being elegant, simple, consistent & concise (that's not to say that Apple always succeeds in those regards. I think that they do, do it better than anyone else thus far - Android may be winning on the phones(?), I don't know as I'm not really a phoney - contrary to popular belief... ;) )

What I'm trying to get to, is that most people in the IT industry don't give a shit about OS's, all they want to do is get what they want to do done. They don't care about personal privacy, they don't care about lots of things that are involved in IT, they just want to get the things that they are being paid to do done (these are all the Windows users). Then they can move onto the next thing & then go home at the end of their day's work.

MS's ultimate plan is to make as much money as they possibly can, for as long as they can & make it as hard for their IT opposition to compete. They will influence governments anyway they can (they do bribe), they will do whatever they can get away with to win.

I don't have to say this shit to you guys.
The ultimate tyranny in a society is not control
by martial law. It is control by the psychological
manipulation of consciousness, through which reality
is defined so that those who exist within do not even
realize that they are in prison.
  —  Barbara Marciniak

Offline badbodh

• Held Mitglied
  • Windows assumes I'm stupid, Linux proves it.
  • Branch: Testing
  • Desktop: Xfce, i3
  • GPU Card: Intel Mobile 4 Series
  • Kernel: linux41 64-bit
I don't have to say this shit to you guys.
But you did anyway, i had to buy a bigger monitor to read your comment  ;D ;D ;D ;D But you are right. People are cared of that learning curve. More so because everything they know suddenly becomes irrelevant and that's scary.
You are quite proficient with arch linux, you've read arch wiki inside out - now all of a sudden Linux Torvalds decides to end it and you are forced to move to, say, this how'd you feel ?
You can't feel the love till it hurts a little. Go rolling, go bleeding-edge !

Offline handy

• Global Moderator
  • Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1-3 & Worker :)
  • GPU Card: intel...
  • GPU driver: open-source
  • Kernel: OpenBSD
Red Star is Linux, so you modify it to suit yourself. That is a MUCH easier move than coming from a non *nix platform to Red Star or any of the Linux/BSD OS's.
The ultimate tyranny in a society is not control
by martial law. It is control by the psychological
manipulation of consciousness, through which reality
is defined so that those who exist within do not even
realize that they are in prison.
  —  Barbara Marciniak