Author Topic: Spatry's 5 Favorite Linux Distributions for Beginners 2016 Manjaro No. 1  (Read 7025 times)

Offline Orbmiser

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Photographer / Techy Ole' Fart
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: Netrunner Plasma 5
  • GPU Card: Ati 4350 Dual Displays
  • GPU driver: Free Open Driver
  • Kernel: 4.1.16-1
  • Skill: Novice
Spatry's 5 Favorite Linux Distributions for Beginners 2016 12min clip at the end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bztcmykf0Os

Looks like his favorite is Manjaro. Good or Bad?
As read some negatives and positives about him.
Kudo's to the Manjaro team.

Offline c00ter

• Held Mitglied
  • Towelie's cupcake
  • Branch: ☮Olive☮
  • Desktop: Depends©
  • GPU Card: Intel HD4400M CPU: Core i7-4510U
  • GPU driver: Intel/Free
  • Kernel: 4.4-lts & 4.5
Spatry's 5 Favorite Linux Distributions for Beginners 2016 12min clip at the end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bztcmykf0Os

Looks like his favorite is Manjaro. Good or Bad?
As read some negatives and positives about him.
Kudo's to the Manjaro team.

Spatry has no bearing on whether Manjaro is good or bad.  >:D

It would be nice, for a change, to read/see reviews on what distros are 'good' based on Linux beginners own experiences. I think after nn years using Linux daily, that we lose the perspective of a Newcomer.

Regards
“What, me worry?” ― Alfred E. Newman

Manjaro Wiki: https://wiki.manjaro.org/
Arch Wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/
Pacman Rosetta: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Rosetta

Offline Orbmiser

• Sr. Mitglied
Yep have to agree with you about reviews for beginners would be more insightful if they shared their experiences of different distro's.
His video is nothing more than his preferences and likes and didn't go beyond all saying to beginners Ubuntu or Mint kind of thing.

I would not recommend Manjaro for many beginners and/or windows users out there. As know their unwillingness to change or apply learning and fixing things.
They just want a click on the icon experience. The further away from their comfort zone overwhelms them.

Tho Mint Cinnamon or Mate would be the ones I would point them at if they are really motivated enough to learn something new.

Offline ringo

• Held Mitglied
  • www.manjaro-nl.org
    • Manjaro Belgium + forum
  • Branch: unsourced
  • Desktop: xfce
  • GPU Card: Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT (acer 23inch)
  • GPU driver: Free*
  • Kernel: linux kernel
fairly my wive using stil manjaro with octopi, personal i prefered octopi, because octopi she dont have to use password to update :p convienient :)
Dutch go the dutch site :)

Offline Orbmiser

• Sr. Mitglied
fairly my wive using stil manjaro with octopi, personal i prefered octopi, because octopi she dont have to use password to update :p convienient :)

Really I always have to enter a password when using Octopi.
And really annoying when picking and choosing individual packages installing one at a time. Then asked for password each and every action it seems.
Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

Offline c00ter

• Held Mitglied
  • Towelie's cupcake
Really I always have to enter a password when using Octopi.
And really annoying when picking and choosing individual packages installing one at a time. Then asked for password each and every action it seems.
Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

Mine works that way, also. Maybe she is running as Admin? Anyway, that's why I try to use package groups as much as possible, and use the command line as much as possible if I'm going to use something like yaourt to install from the AUR.

Don't forget, as somewhat *experienced* users, we should be setting the example by using the correct method of installing them *ahem* but in practice who does?

Regards

Offline withjaro

• Held Mitglied
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: openrc
  • GPU Card: geforce7150/ATIx2300
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: linux4xxx-x64
Gotta love Spatry :)
everytime i hear his voice he makes me smile .. hes goofy!

As c00ter points out,its quite difficult to equate individual users experiences across the very wide expanse of POSIX distributions ... and the learning of individual components within the system will have alternate curves,for instance im quite comfortable with installation,package management,X and browser issues ... but im frustrated with the amount of blind spots i have with relating user space packages to kernel hacking ... the rest like OpenGL and network drivers im fair to middling.
Like Spatry's 73 year old Linux Lite using grandmother ... she will have had a 'head start' if she had a career in an office environment and used word processors or telex ... rather than working in a people-based profession like caring.

In a nutshell ...
1.Both you AND your technology are in constant flux and development ... if you come to a new installation that is currently experiencing a major upgrade of packages you use - or you yourself feel unconfident or tired ... its a factor to how you will make an assessment.

2.To some degree,mass adoption of Android has changed the game somewhat - a detail often missed by regular desktop users .. though most Android users are not aware,nor even care what operating system they are using ... the situation with Android is far from ideal from an idelogical standpoint,but its a user-friendly introduction to FLOSS concepts.

3.Habit forming ... one of the biggests stumbling blocks of more 'interactive' operating systems ... to gain interest from users of Apple,MS,game stations and cloud-based solutions like touchscreens ... most people arent interested in the inner workings of technology ... they are interested in what blockbuster film is on Netflix,what gossip is trending on social media or if you are a business you want the number crunching results so you can continue manufacturing/retailing.
I find the clean unfettered environment of many Unixes suits my temperament ... using unnecessary bling annoys me ... for others having the familar blue docks of MS .. or gimmicks of Apple ... is important.
For this reason i no longer evangelise about GNU/Linux ... i have had people become hysterical,when i try to describe the reasons and differences various systems have - as if ive suggested that they kill their pets or something.

Much is experience (including transferable) and ability ... something Stephen Fry comments about is when he installed his first graphics development studio ... excitedly working his way through the installation procedure until the welcome screen appeared .. and suddenly realised "Ahhh ... i have no artistic talent !!! " ... Blender will not turn you into Rembrandt overnight ... but if you express interest and persevere,the least you will achieve is a competent illustrator :)
< insert your own inspiring quotation - and smile :) >

Offline crazyg4merz

• Held Mitglied
  • Experience it, that's the way of learning!!
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: Gnome
  • GPU Card: Nvidia GTX 970
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Kernel: Linux420-x64
  • Skill: Intermediate
Spatry is back? He always has been Manjaro user guys. Just look over to his forum, he has been recommending Manjaro since last year or two and then he went inactive on YouTube, welcome back Spatry :)

Offline g33zr

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.
  • Desktop: Cinnamon
  • GPU Card: Intel
  • Kernel: the latest
Next to Sneekylinux, I've always enjoyed watching Spatry's reviews. It's good to see that he's back. Moreover, he now pronounces Manjaro with the hard "j" instead of Man-Haro!  ;)
OK, so I took the red pill. Now what?

Offline Red Orc

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • GPU Card: Nivideo GeForce 980
Gotta love Spatry :)
everytime i hear his voice he makes me smile .. hes goofy!

As c00ter points out,its quite difficult to equate individual users experiences across the very wide expanse of POSIX distributions ... and the learning of individual components within the system will have alternate curves,for instance im quite comfortable with installation,package management,X and browser issues ... but im frustrated with the amount of blind spots i have with relating user space packages to kernel hacking ... the rest like OpenGL and network drivers im fair to middling.
Like Spatry's 73 year old Linux Lite using grandmother ... she will have had a 'head start' if she had a career in an office environment and used word processors or telex ... rather than working in a people-based profession like caring.

In a nutshell ...
1.Both you AND your technology are in constant flux and development ... if you come to a new installation that is currently experiencing a major upgrade of packages you use - or you yourself feel unconfident or tired ... its a factor to how you will make an assessment.

2.To some degree,mass adoption of Android has changed the game somewhat - a detail often missed by regular desktop users .. though most Android users are not aware,nor even care what operating system they are using ... the situation with Android is far from ideal from an idelogical standpoint,but its a user-friendly introduction to FLOSS concepts.

3.Habit forming ... one of the biggests stumbling blocks of more 'interactive' operating systems ... to gain interest from users of Apple,MS,game stations and cloud-based solutions like touchscreens ... most people arent interested in the inner workings of technology ... they are interested in what blockbuster film is on Netflix,what gossip is trending on social media or if you are a business you want the number crunching results so you can continue manufacturing/retailing.
I find the clean unfettered environment of many Unixes suits my temperament ... using unnecessary bling annoys me ... for others having the familar blue docks of MS .. or gimmicks of Apple ... is important.
For this reason i no longer evangelise about GNU/Linux ... i have had people become hysterical,when i try to describe the reasons and differences various systems have - as if ive suggested that they kill their pets or something.

Much is experience (including transferable) and ability ... something Stephen Fry comments about is when he installed his first graphics development studio ... excitedly working his way through the installation procedure until the welcome screen appeared .. and suddenly realised "Ahhh ... i have no artistic talent !!! " ... Blender will not turn you into Rembrandt overnight ... but if you express interest and persevere,the least you will achieve is a competent illustrator :)

There's a multi-novel story by Pillip Jose Farmer about a race of people who can live for centuries. All of the scientists died (long story) and the people left know how to use the technology but they don't know how it actually works or how to
repair it when it breals.
I get the distinct imprssion that that is what microsoft is trying to do to us.
Make us into cattle who know how to use the OS but don't know anything else.

Offline withjaro

• Held Mitglied
  • Desktop: openrc
  • GPU Card: geforce7150/ATIx2300
  • Kernel: linux4xxx-x64
Indeed,as far as metaphors go ... the Morlock and Eloi of H.G.Wells seem familiar.
But relax ... you are with GNU/Linux now ;)

*Thanks for the P.J.Farmer tip - sometimes a pulp fiction adventure is just what is required ... mix it up :)

** Its quite sad really - when you look at some of the 19-20th century sci-fi 'utopian' writers ... that technology would free us from the mundane so we could involve ourselves in education and civic participation - however we are fractured,insecure and stressed and most bewildered by the ever growing forest of diodes - that after a day of unengaged toil,and giving a few precious hours of energy to your children,the only thing you are fit to do is flop and spectate.
I understand if you are proprietary technology company you need to fit a model that will secure your existance and pay your workforce,but sometimes the 'trust us and be dominated' goes too far ... it damages society.
People arent lazy ... they are anxious and lack confidence and time to make the best of enabling their lives.

Sorry  :-[ .... i HAVE to be poignant .... i HAVE to be  ;D ;D ;D ::)
« Last Edit: 28. April 2016, 21:39:05 by withjaro »
< insert your own inspiring quotation - and smile :) >

Offline crazyg4merz

• Held Mitglied
  • Experience it, that's the way of learning!!
  • Desktop: Gnome
  • GPU Card: Nvidia GTX 970
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Kernel: Linux420-x64
Next to Sneekylinux, I've always enjoyed watching Spatry's reviews. It's good to see that he's back. Moreover, he now pronounces Manjaro with the hard "j" instead of Man-Haro!  ;)
Actually Manjaro came from the Kilimanjaro mountain in Indonesia, and in Indonesia we use j instead of h. So it's not something like misspelling, it depends on how some languages pronounce it. :)

Offline badbodh

• Held Mitglied
  • Windows assumes I'm stupid, Linux proves it.
  • Branch: Testing
  • Desktop: Xfce, i3
  • GPU Card: Intel Mobile 4 Series
  • Kernel: linux41 64-bit
so it's "Man Harrow" ?
You can't feel the love till it hurts a little. Go rolling, go bleeding-edge !

Offline oberon

• Core Team
  • I'm nice. Be new!
  • Desktop: i3, Deepin, Cinnamon
  • GPU Card: Intel ValleyView Gen7
  • GPU driver: Intel
  • Kernel: 4.1 / 4.4
Actually Manjaro came from the Kilimanjaro mountain in Indonesia, and in Indonesia we use j instead of h. So it's not something like misspelling, it depends on how some languages pronounce it. :)
??? The Kilimanjaro mountain I know of is in Africa!... ;)
Apakah ada di Indonesia dan gunung Kilimanjaro? :o :o
« Last Edit: 29. April 2016, 08:55:26 by oberon »
manjaro is addictive ::)
* manjaro-i3  * manjaro-cinnamon  * manjaro-deepin

Offline c00ter

• Held Mitglied
  • Towelie's cupcake

Africa moved to Indonesia?