Author Topic: [Daniella] Third preview release  (Read 6447 times)

Offline philm

• Core Team
    • Manjaro Linux
  • Branch: Unstable
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • GPU Card: Geforce GTX 650
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Kernel: Maintainer - so all ;)
  • Skill: Guru
[Daniella] Third preview release
« on: 27. April 2016, 08:06:08 »

It took us almost another month to prepare this third preview of our upcoming stable release we call Daniella.

The Xfce edition remains our flagship offering and has received the attention it deserves. Few can claim to offer such a polished, integrated and leading-edge Xfce experience. We ship Xfce 4.12 with this release of Manjaro. We mainly focused on polishing the user experience on the desktop and window manager, and on updating some components to take advantage of newly available technologies such as switching to a new theme called Maia, we already using for our KDE edition.

Our KDE edition continues to deliver this powerful, mature and feature-rich desktop environment with a unique look-and-feel, and with the perks of Manjaro's latest tools. We ship now Plasma 5.6 desktop in combination with the latest KDE-Apps 16.04. It was a huge step to get it all playing together smoothly and to give the user experience the same feeling as our KDE4 editions of the past.

Kernel 4.4 LTS is used for this release, such as the latest drivers available to date. Relative to the last installation media release, our tools have been improved and polished.

The Manjaro Settings Manager now provides an easy-to-use graphical interface for installing and removing the many series of kernels we offer. Manjaro's selection of readily available kernels remains the most extensive of all Linux distribution we know of. At the time of this 16.06-pre3 release, twelve kernel-series are available directly from our binary repositories, ranging from the mature & rock-solid 3.10 series to the latest 4.6 release. Such a wide array of available kernel options results in extensive hardware support, getting the most out of your system for you, be it old or new. We also created a kcm module to integrate Manjaro Settings Manager seamlessly into System-Settings of Plasma 5.

With Pamac 3.2 we have made our graphical package manager use the full power of Pacman/ALPM 5.0 release. The updater now support selecting which packages you want to install, transaction functions are now in a library, a custom download function for more control like a longer timeout for slow connection and a better download cancellation is now used, plus we now support the new hooks feature of Pacman. We are currently in heavy development with Pamac 4.0, which you can already install via the 'pamac-dev' package.

So please test this release thru and thru and let us know what you think about this preview of Daniella.

We hope you enjoy this release.

Offline Beherit

• Neuling
  • Romani ite domum
  • Branch: testing
  • Desktop: Cinnamon
  • GPU Card: Nvidia GTX770
  • Kernel: linux45-x64
  • Skill: Novice
Re: [Daniella] Third preview release
« Reply #1 on: 27. April 2016, 13:16:34 »
I'm not sure whether my comment is directed towards todays update or the one released yesterday. Please forgive me if I post this in the wrong thread.

Either way, running a pacman update made me scratch my head as it asked me to choose between installing either qt5-phonon-vlc or qt5-phonon-gstreamer. Then it listed a whole slew of kde/qt5-related dependencies it wanted to "update", even though I didn't have any of  these installed previously.

It didn't take me long to find that these are the dependencies of the new KDE-based Manjaro Settings Manager.

Needless to say, being a Cinnamon desktop user, I dislike having kde/qt-dependencies installed just for one single application. I uninstalled manjaro-settings-manager and I hope the old gtk-based release will be available as an option again.

(no offense meant to KDE users, I'm sure they sigh just as much when they are forced to install Gnome/gtk dependencies :-)

Offline Windowsfree

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • Using Manjaro Gnome 3.20
    • D&B Computer Repair
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: GNOME
  • GPU Card: Nvidia GT330M
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: 4.4.6-1 LTS
« Reply #2 on: 27. April 2016, 15:06:38 »
No issues with XFCE version at all.  Very nice interface.  Best I have seen.
~Bob

Offline sps

• Neuling
  • GPU Card: Nvidia
  • Skill: Intermediate
« Reply #3 on: 27. April 2016, 16:16:40 »
I'm not sure whether my comment is directed towards todays update or the one released yesterday. Please forgive me if I post this in the wrong thread.

Either way, running a pacman update made me scratch my head as it asked me to choose between installing either qt5-phonon-vlc or qt5-phonon-gstreamer. Then it listed a whole slew of kde/qt5-related dependencies it wanted to "update", even though I didn't have any of  these installed previously.

It didn't take me long to find that these are the dependencies of the new KDE-based Manjaro Settings Manager.

Needless to say, being a Cinnamon desktop user, I dislike having kde/qt-dependencies installed just for one single application. I uninstalled manjaro-settings-manager and I hope the old gtk-based release will be available as an option again.

(no offense meant to KDE users, I'm sure they sigh just as much when they are forced to install Gnome/gtk dependencies :-)
I had the same problem, using xfce 16.06-pre3 version. Why so many qt/kde dependencies?
Sergio Schneider

Offline lukstux

• Jr. Mitglied
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: XFCE4
  • GPU Card: Intel Graphics 4000
  • GPU driver: OpenSource
  • Kernel: linux44-x64 LLTS
« Reply #4 on: 27. April 2016, 16:28:49 »
Steam is not working

Code: [Select]
[manjaro@manjaro ~]$ steam
Running Steam on manjarolinux 16.06-pre3 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(0)
libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

Offline kb41

• Neuling
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: Xfce
  • Kernel: linux44-x64
« Reply #5 on: 27. April 2016, 17:51:53 »
Good update. No problems with xfce.

Offline philm

• Core Team
    • Manjaro Linux
  • Branch: Unstable
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • GPU Card: Geforce GTX 650
  • Kernel: Maintainer - so all ;)
  • Skill: Guru
« Reply #6 on: 27. April 2016, 17:58:53 »
... running a pacman update made me scratch my head as it asked me to choose between installing either qt5-phonon-vlc or qt5-phonon-gstreamer. Then it listed a whole slew of kde/qt5-related dependencies it wanted to "update", even though I didn't have any of  these installed previously.

Well, MSM is now integrated into KCM of Plasma5. A lot of work was done to get MSM better integrated into our KDE edition. MSM was never a GTK application. We started it as QT4 app. After the migration to QT5 we worked hard on the KDE integration. Same goes for the Calamares installer. It is also a QT5/KDE application. Our focus is currently more on the KDE edition, also with our tools.

We will see if it is possible to reduce the dependencies to KF5 if possible. All issues regarding MSM should be reported here.

Offline oberon

• Core Team
  • I'm nice. Be new!
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: i3, Deepin, Cinnamon
  • GPU Card: Intel ValleyView Gen7
  • GPU driver: Intel
  • Kernel: 4.1 / 4.4
« Reply #7 on: 28. April 2016, 00:33:06 »
Looking really cool, doesn't it?! ;D 8) https://youtu.be/Pv0R7OrdymQ?t=1m14s
« Last Edit: 28. April 2016, 00:37:42 by oberon »
manjaro is addictive ::)
* manjaro-i3  * manjaro-cinnamon  * manjaro-deepin

Offline Beherit

• Neuling
  • Romani ite domum
  • Branch: testing
  • Desktop: Cinnamon
  • GPU Card: Nvidia GTX770
  • Kernel: linux45-x64
« Reply #8 on: 28. April 2016, 09:35:23 »
Well, MSM is now integrated into KCM of Plasma5. A lot of work was done to get MSM better integrated into our KDE edition. MSM was never a GTK application.
So it used Plasma 4 in its previous release? Makes sense as I have qt4-dependencies installed already. Guess I was too quick to assume it used GTK.

We will see if it is possible to reduce the dependencies to KF5 if possible. All issues regarding MSM should be reported here.
Will do! Thanks for the quick and detailed answer.

Offline Tids

• Jr. Mitglied
  • Rawr :3
    • Telegram
  • Desktop: Plasma
  • GPU Card: Radeon R7 (APU AMD A8-760)
  • Kernel: x86_64
« Reply #9 on: 28. April 2016, 14:20:07 »
on AMDs Sea Island cards/APU we cant boot to X anymore because it always tries to load amdgpu DDX and fails
Manjaro б(>ε<)∂ Telegram - Steam - Hatchet

Offline kilim@njaro

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Branch: Testing
  • Desktop: KDE
  • GPU Card: NVIDIA GeForce 920M
  • GPU driver: non -free
  • Kernel: Linux 44,
« Reply #10 on: 28. April 2016, 14:55:55 »
It's running smoothly if I run it witout installing it to the hard disc. After the installation (Thus), firefox is extremely slow in scrolling down as well as loading a new page. I haven't configured the nvidia driver. Maybe that's a reason? But why does run normal without installing?

Secondly, he doesn't shut down. He's giving a black screen with the following message:

[0.419340] platform MSFT 0101: failed to claim resource 1
[0.419350] acpi MSFT0101;00; platform device creation failed -16
starrting version 229
ManjaroRoot: recovering journal
ManjaroRoot: clean, 241560/14163968 files, 2564424/56627200 blocks

Offline oberon

• Core Team
  • I'm nice. Be new!
« Reply #11 on: 28. April 2016, 15:00:36 »
on AMDs Sea Island cards/APU we cant boot to X anymore because it always tries to load amdgpu DDX and fails
I think Philip will have to look into this. As a temporary workaround you should be able to run kernel 4.1 ... I hope ;)

Offline oberon

• Core Team
  • I'm nice. Be new!
« Reply #12 on: 28. April 2016, 15:04:21 »
I don't know about your second question, but
It's running smoothly if I run it witout installing it to the hard disc. After the installation (Thus), firefox is extremely slow in scrolling down as well as loading a new page. I haven't configured the nvidia driver. Maybe that's a reason?
Yes, that makes sense! ;)
But why does run normal without installing?
Maybe because you run the live-environment with free drivers?

Offline kilim@njaro

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Branch: Testing
  • Desktop: KDE
  • GPU Card: NVIDIA GeForce 920M
  • GPU driver: non -free
  • Kernel: Linux 44,
« Reply #13 on: 28. April 2016, 15:24:55 »
Thanks!

Do you think it's also related to the fact that he doesn's shut down?

Offline Tids

• Jr. Mitglied
  • Rawr :3
    • Telegram
  • Desktop: Plasma
  • GPU Card: Radeon R7 (APU AMD A8-760)
  • Kernel: x86_64
« Reply #14 on: 28. April 2016, 15:47:44 »
I think Philip will have to look into this. As a temporary workaround you should be able to run kernel 4.1 ... I hope ;)
there is no linux41 on the boot image. and its not a kernel error. i just have to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-mhwd.conf and change amdgpu to radeon and
Code: [Select]
systemctl start <displaymanager> its a mhwd issue that sets amdgpu, not radeon to the xorg configuration file.

amdgpu has experimental support for sea island. its a good thing that manjaro makes it possible to test this, but it should not be the default :D
Manjaro б(>ε<)∂ Telegram - Steam - Hatchet