Author Topic: Roll back feature, an automatic downgrade option?  (Read 3594 times)

Offline artoo

• OpenRC Team
  • Branch: Unstable
  • Desktop: LXQT/Plasma5, openrc & eudev
  • Kernel: x86_64
  • Skill: Advanced
Re: Roll back feature, an automatic downgrade option?
« Reply #30 on: 27. April 2016, 16:05:58 »
Don't understand that at all artoo. If you type 'downgrade' plus a package name into your terminal you will get a choice of anything up to a dozen packages to select from. These are remote packages, not locally cached ones. The difference between downgrade and rollback is simply a matter of quantity - ie downgrading multiple packages at the same time instead of singly. So I question your statement that rollback is not possible.

Having said that I use Unstable so maybe it is different in Stable??

And for the benefit of the OP the ultimate in rollback is disk imaging, a technique I use frequently and can't recommend highly enough. I personally use fsarchiver but clonezilla is also available.

As explained, the repo database always contains only the latest, and thus only one version of a package.

Downgrade only works, no matter the branch, if you have an older package version in your local pacman cache.

If you don't believe me, inspect the repo db and create some repos.

Offline scachemaille

• Held Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Branch: Unstable
  • Desktop: Plasma 5
  • GPU Card: nVidia GT 330M
  • GPU driver: Nouveau
  • Kernel: 4.8_x64
  • Skill: Intermediate
« Reply #31 on: 27. April 2016, 16:28:28 »
Don't understand that at all artoo. If you type 'downgrade' plus a package name into your terminal you will get a choice of anything up to a dozen packages to select from. These are remote packages, not locally cached ones. The difference between downgrade and rollback is simply a matter of quantity - ie downgrading multiple packages at the same time instead of singly. So I question your statement that rollback is not possible.

Having said that I use Unstable so maybe it is different in Stable??

And for the benefit of the OP the ultimate in rollback is disk imaging, a technique I use frequently and can't recommend highly enough. I personally use fsarchiver but clonezilla is also available.
the downgrade command if the package are not in cache will search them in the ARCH archive.
manjaro don't have this kind of archive repos.

then...  a clean rollback is possible only if the old version of  all updated package are in cache.
because the ARCH archive don't have the manjaro specific package (kernel, and plenty others) and can even find the package with the same name but that is not the version that manjaro use.

TBP: not all manjaro packages are comming from ARCH
« Last Edit: 27. April 2016, 16:30:11 by scachemaille »

Offline fassil

• Support Team
  • Branch: stable/unstable
  • Desktop: E19/E20
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: Linux314 & 318
  • Skill: Intermediate
« Reply #32 on: 28. April 2016, 08:29:26 »
'LLo,

Yep & it's why, imho, it's highly recommended to have at least last version of all installed packages in cache before any update & to only use <pacman -Scc> if stricly necessary for a safe "rolling" !
& after a full cleaning or with a fresh install install ? -> it's also possible to (re)create this with following (thanks papajoke for syntax !):
Code: [Select]
sudo pacman -Sw $(pacman -Qn | awk -F' '  '{print $1}')
"Are you enlightened ?"