Author Topic: Tomb Raider for Linux – system requirements revealed!  (Read 1346 times)

Offline wolfyrion

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Branch: UNSTABLE
  • Desktop: PLASMA/KDE
  • GPU Card: ZOTAC AMP EXTREME EDITION 980
  • GPU driver: NON-FREE
  • Kernel: LATEST
  • Skill: Intermediate
Tomb Raider for Linux – system requirements revealed!
« on: 18. April 2016, 11:57:53 »
http://www.feralinteractive.com/en/news/611/

NOTE: Manjaro has Nvidia drivers 361.42 so lets hope that the game will be playable  :-\

Will your Linux PC survive the action and adventure in Tomb Raider?

Minimum system requirements call for an Intel i3 or AMD FX-6300 processor, with 4GB RAM and a graphics card with 1GB of memory for NVIDIA and 2GB for AMD cards. For AMD cards, we also recommend using the MESA 11.2 driver.

If you want to take performance up a notch, then you’ll need an Intel i5 processor, 8GB RAM with a NVIDIA GeForce 760 with 3GB graphics memory.

Here are the system requirements in full.
Minimum

OS
    Ubuntu 14.04 or SteamOS 2.0 (64-bit)
Processor
    Intel i3 or AMD FX-6300
RAM
    4GB
Graphics card
    1GB NVIDIA GeForce 640 (driver version 364.12) or 2GB AMD 5770 (driver version MESA 11.2)

Recommended

OS
    Ubuntu 14.04 or SteamOS 2.0 (64-bit)
Processor
    Intel i5
RAM
    8GB
Graphics card
    3GB NVIDIA GeForce 760 (Driver version 364.12)

Tomb Raider for Linux will be out very soon and will be available from Steam and the Feral Store.

« Last Edit: 18. April 2016, 12:07:47 by wolfyrion »

Offline crazyg4merz

• Held Mitglied
  • Experience it, that's the way of learning!!
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: Gnome
  • GPU Card: Nvidia GTX 970
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Kernel: Linux420-x64
Re: Tomb Raider for Linux – system requirements revealed!
« Reply #1 on: 18. April 2016, 15:30:56 »
Looking at the driver version, does this also mean that 364.12 will hit into stable branch once it's released?

Offline Kleyno

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: Xfce
  • GPU Card: Nvidia GTX 960
  • Kernel: 4.4.8-1
  • Skill: Novice
« Reply #2 on: 04. May 2016, 07:12:58 »
Anyone had any luck getting this to run?

My hardware exceeds or meets the recommended specs in all categories, but I've only been able to get it playable on High settings, and even then, the cutscenes are jittery and freeze occasionally. (i5, GTX960 4GB, 16GB Ram)

I'm hoping that since they only tested with the 364.12 driver, I'll get the best performance my hardware can deliver, when that hits stable. If it is still poorly performing after that, then maybe its an issue with the port that'll get addressed in patches.
« Last Edit: 04. May 2016, 07:31:44 by Kleyno »
Disclaimer, I am an Linux noob. Any advice I give should be taken in light of such.

Offline torvic9

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Hello world!
« Reply #3 on: 04. May 2016, 17:51:34 »
AFAIK Tomb Raider for Linux is - as are all of Feral's Linux products - not a native Linux game.
I don't think it's a problem with drivers, it's up to Feral to improve their game.
i3: i7-5820K | 32 GB | GeForce GTX 960, nvidia | linux44-custom
KDE: i7-920 | 12 GB | GeForce GTS 450, nouveau | linux44
Gnome: Thinkpad X200s | linux41

Offline mips

• Held Mitglied
  • Valkyrja
  • Branch: Testing
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • GPU Card: GTX 960
  • GPU driver: video-nvidia
  • Kernel: 3.16
« Reply #4 on: 04. May 2016, 22:43:33 »
AFAIK Tomb Raider for Linux is - as are all of Feral's Linux products - not a native Linux game.
I don't think it's a problem with drivers, it's up to Feral to improve their game.

Good luck with that, most games run worse on linux than windows. Unless steamos takes off big time this is not gonna change.

Offline philm

• Core Team
    • Manjaro Linux
  • Branch: Unstable
  • GPU Card: Geforce GTX 650
  • Kernel: Maintainer - so all ;)
  • Skill: Guru
« Reply #5 on: 04. May 2016, 23:44:10 »
364.12 is on testing branch.

Offline crazyg4merz

• Held Mitglied
  • Experience it, that's the way of learning!!
  • Desktop: Gnome
  • GPU Card: Nvidia GTX 970
  • Kernel: Linux420-x64
« Reply #6 on: 05. May 2016, 02:13:14 »
364.12 is on testing branch.
Wow, big news for me :)

Offline Kleyno

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
« Reply #7 on: 05. May 2016, 06:13:02 »
Good luck with that, most games run worse on linux than windows. Unless steamos takes off big time this is not gonna change.

From what I hear, Feral are usually pretty good with improving the performance of their ports and addressing bugs with patches. I suppose they have to be, since their entire business model is built around porting Windows games.

Here's hoping they do.
Disclaimer, I am an Linux noob. Any advice I give should be taken in light of such.

Offline torvic9

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Hello world!
« Reply #8 on: 05. May 2016, 18:01:01 »

Native linux games should run just as well as their windows counterparts.
A few examples: Wargame, Valve's Source engine games, Paradox games, Football Manager, US2 - zero performance problems on Manjaro.
I haven't tried yet the Feral games (CoH2, XCOM, Tomb Raider), CoH2 especially seems to run a lot worse on Linux from what I've read.
i3: i7-5820K | 32 GB | GeForce GTX 960, nvidia | linux44-custom
KDE: i7-920 | 12 GB | GeForce GTS 450, nouveau | linux44
Gnome: Thinkpad X200s | linux41

Offline Kleyno

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
« Reply #9 on: 09. May 2016, 13:29:39 »
After the latest Manjaro stable update which brought a driver above the recommended version, I've noticed a marked increase in performance, especially during the cutscenes.

I can run it on Ultra without stutter, provided I disable TressFX, but I get the best performance on High. So far no crashes to speak of, though I haven't played the whole thing through yet, and my CPU fan doesn't sound like its trying to achieve lift off when I am running it.

So far it seem worth the money in my opinion.

Offline mips

• Held Mitglied
  • Valkyrja
  • Branch: Testing
  • GPU Card: GTX 960
  • GPU driver: video-nvidia
  • Kernel: 3.16
« Reply #10 on: 09. May 2016, 19:53:13 »
I can run it on Ultra without stutter, provided I disable TressFX, but I get the best performance on High. So far no crashes to speak of, though I haven't played the whole thing through yet, and my CPU fan doesn't sound like its trying to achieve lift off when I am running it.

When it comes to game settings I never go with the default options of low, med, high, ultra etc. (Unless my gpu handles the game at ultra settings 60fps+)

I always look at the geforce tweak guides to manually adjust my settings where I look at the individual settings and there impact on performance vs image quality. For example when I'm moving around I hardly look at the quality of shadows and don't really notice then so I put them a notch or two down from ultra.

I do this for every game before I get into it and it yields very good performance vs quality, I won't be happy with anything less than 60fps unless it's say an rpg where 45-60 would be ok but it's very game dependent. Instead of using ingame AA I might use reshade + smaa as fxaa is not cool.

Anyway enough of my rambling here's the guide for this game http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-graphics-and-performance-guide#rise-of-the-tomb-raider-shadow-quality