Author Topic: Request to include Clonezilla and mhwd-chroot on the Manjaro live media iso  (Read 3130 times)

Offline artoo

• OpenRC Team
  • Branch: Unstable
  • Desktop: LXQT/Plasma5, openrc & eudev
  • Kernel: x86_64
  • Skill: Advanced
It wasn't in my case. If I wanted to uninstall video drivers that prevented Manjaro from booting and only showed a black screen, then I had to use mhwd-chroot. Using the regular chroot - the command to uninstall the video drivers did not work.

See eugen's post. You most likely did nnot mount all the required file systems properly.
mhwd-chroot, and its enhanced mounting cousin manjaro-chroot are only wrapper scripts for chroot.

Offline Rob

• Core Team
  • Alias: Korrode
  • Desktop: Xfce+Compiz
  • GPU Card: nVidia GTX560Ti
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Kernel: linux314 x64
I've never actually used mhwd-chroot, but if it does all the bindmounting for people automatically and is just a few kilobytes, i wouldn't be against including it.

Offline Heart Of A Lion

• Sr. Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: Xfce, Enlightenment
  • GPU Card: ATi 7770 . . . . . . . CPU: AMD octacore 4GHz
  • GPU driver: Free (video-ATI)
  • Kernel: 4.6 (x64)
  • Skill: Intermediate
I've never actually used mhwd-chroot, but if it does all the bindmounting for people automatically and is just a few kilobytes, i wouldn't be against including it.

That would be great!

Offline Heart Of A Lion

• Sr. Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!

And what about Clonezilla as a backup utility. It's listed in Manjaro's repositories as being 2.5MB, so it's quite small, yet very useful.

Ubuntu and Windows also have backup utilities on their installation/live cd's, however they tend to be custom solutions. Clonezilla is widely used and can pretty much be considered an industry standard. We the users then at least have backup capabilities on the live cd, without needing an internet connection to download it first.
« Last Edit: 11. April 2016, 03:21:02 by Heart Of A Lion »

Offline Heart Of A Lion

• Sr. Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!

Just so you won't forget or oversee the following. mhwd-chroot-extended is mhwd-chroot updated to support nvme storage for those who use PCIe storage devices. So you might want to include that version of mhwd-chroot. That way it's ready for the future as well.

Offline badbodh

• Held Mitglied
  • Windows assumes I'm stupid, Linux proves it.
  • Branch: Testing
  • Desktop: Xfce, i3
  • GPU Card: Intel Mobile 4 Series
  • Kernel: linux41 64-bit
making manjaro a half-arsed backup solution is kinda pointless. Clonezilla is more focused on backup, hence better option .

However, like experts have suggested, feel free to maintain your own "Manjaro Backup edition" iso and share with us.
You can't feel the love till it hurts a little. Go rolling, go bleeding-edge !

Offline Heart Of A Lion

• Sr. Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
making manjaro a half-arsed backup solution is kinda pointless. Clonezilla is more focused on backup, hence better option .

However, like experts have suggested, feel free to maintain your own "Manjaro Backup edition" iso and share with us.

There are tools on the live cd like gParted to manage partitions. I think adding another 2.5MB to the live cd to include Clonezilla as
a backup solution will make the live cd more useful.

gParted + Conezilla + mhwd-chroot-extended are really an ultimate killer-combo that makes the live cd a more complete solution like Ubuntu and Windows also offer on their installation cd's.

In my opinion, backup and repair is essential for an operating system.

I think Clonezilla would fit nicely into the list of tools like gParted, which are already on Manjaro's live cd.

The crux of the matter is to offer this important functionality, without needing an internet connection.

There are quite a few situations where people would like to make a backup of their Manjaro installation, while they don't have access to internet at that moment. Furthermore, most of the world population still doesn't have access to internet, think of places like Africa, India and Bangladesh.
But they too want to backup their system.
« Last Edit: 11. April 2016, 18:34:53 by Heart Of A Lion »

Offline artoo

• OpenRC Team
  • Desktop: LXQT/Plasma5, openrc & eudev
  • Kernel: x86_64

We've got already manjaro-chroot on livecd, part of manjaro-tools-base package. ;)

Offline badbodh

• Held Mitglied
Don't get me wrong, you have a valid suggestion. But it won't be feasible here for two reasons in current context (it is just my personal, well-thought-out opinion and nobody else shares it)

1. A 1.5Gb iso is too big to serve as a practical backup tool. At max it should be 600Mb to fit into a CD. XFCE minimal testbuild has 800+ Mb image for 64 bit machines, definitely needs some trimming.

2. Clonezilla is already popular, familiar and comes in a very small iso ~150 Mb, with full documentation. To duplicate the effort on manjaro you gotta to maintain iso as well as documentation so that people (especially newcomers) use it right.

We got many community editions, might as well have one more for backup with some bells and whistles if you are willing to maintain. Better than cramming everything into a single iso.

Besides, backing up your linux isn't much of a big deal. You can just tar the files elsewhere, then untar them back + grub-install and bingo, everything up and running. You can even do it using a net-install image. Don't need fancy "backup tools" like you do on *cough* "non-free operating systems"

P.S. exclude /sys , /proc, /run, /tmp and /dev folders from your tarball.
« Last Edit: 11. April 2016, 19:20:38 by badbodh »

Offline badbodh

• Held Mitglied
In my opinion, backup and repair is essential for an operating system.
And you can do exactly that using any existing iso, even a net-install-minimal , ^ like i explained above :)
It's better to know what to do rather than rely on automagic scripts and apps. Easier to track down any bugs/user-mistakes.

Offline c00ter

• Held Mitglied
  • Towelie's cupcake
  • Branch: ☮Olive☮
  • Desktop: Depends©
  • GPU Card: Intel HD4400M CPU: Core i7-4510U
  • GPU driver: Intel/Free
  • Kernel: 4.4-lts & 4.5
  • Skill: Novice
You know, I already use a Manjaro KDE-full ISO on a USB key as a half-arsed rescueCD. Adding Clonezilla to it would not upset me, even if I never use it. It's a security-blanket issue to some, maybe.

But I'm also thinking of the semi-recent spate of Manjaro This Edition, and Manjaro That Editiion announcements to sites like Softpedia. There is no doubt in my mind that keeping the Manjaro brand up in everyone's face leads to Manjaro adopters. I don't think anyone could argue that. So, indirectly at least, a Manjaro Whatever Edition w/Tools announcement would never hurt the image.

Something to think about...

Regards
“What, me worry?” ― Alfred E. Newman

Manjaro Wiki: https://wiki.manjaro.org/
Arch Wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/
Pacman Rosetta: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Rosetta

Offline badbodh

• Held Mitglied
You know, I already use a Manjaro KDE-full ISO on a USB key as a half-arsed rescueCD. Adding Clonezilla to it would not upset me, even if I never use it. It's a security-blanket issue to some, maybe.
Hmm, half-arsed stuff would work just fine. You got a point. Half an arse is better than no arse at all. Let the user figure out how to arse around properly.

Offline Chrysostomus

• Maintainer
  • Neckbeards are cool
    • Git
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: Gnome, bspwm
  • GPU Card: Intel HD4000
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: linux44-x64
I might add it to bspwm edition, as it is fairly lightish, focuses on terminal apps and already has many system rescue tools included. Probably won't dovument its precence though. Might add entry for it in bmenu.

Offline curiouseag

• Sr. Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: undicieded
  • GPU Card: Intel Core i3-5010U
  • GPU driver: Intel
  • Kernel: grsec self build
I included both in my enlightenment iso profile.

+1 to be added as default.

Offline Heart Of A Lion

• Sr. Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
I included both in my enlightenment iso profile.

+1 to be added as default.

Thanks, kudos!