Poll

Did you experience any issue with this update?

No issues, everything went smoothly.
133 (85.3%)
Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself. (Please post your solution)
8 (5.1%)
Yes I am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)
15 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 156

Author Topic: [Update] 2016-03-31 - Kernels, Plasma 5, Qt, Octopi, Calamares, Bluez, Budgie  (Read 13224 times)

Offline philm

• Core Team
    • Manjaro Linux
  • Branch: Unstable
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • GPU Card: Geforce GTX 650
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Kernel: Maintainer - so all ;)
  • Skill: Guru
However, I did get this message in dmesg, after restarting the computer, after the kernel panic. This was the first time that this message has ever appeared:

Code: [Select]
[   12.052487] systemd[1]: dev-disk-by\x2dpath-pci\x2d0000:00:14.1\x2data\x2d2.device: Dev dev-disk-by\x2dpath-pci\x2d0000:00:14.1\x2data\x2d2.device appeared twice with different sysfs paths /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.1/ata2/host1/target1:0:0/1:0:0:0/block/sr0 and /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.1/ata2/host1/target1:0:1/1:0:1:0/block/sr1

Please check this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2275068
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=90386
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1245860
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=196640

Can you boot your system still with this message?

Offline wolfyrion

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Branch: UNSTABLE
  • Desktop: PLASMA/KDE
  • GPU Card: ZOTAC AMP EXTREME EDITION 980
  • GPU driver: NON-FREE
  • Kernel: LATEST
  • Skill: Intermediate
my system monitoring issues not solved yet :(

I have submitted this bug to

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=360815

and it seems they cant reproduce the bug

So is either something with Manjaro/Systemd or something with my system

When the System Load Viewer Widget is Enabled the resources I monitor display 0 values or goes offline every 3 sec !?!?
http://i.imgur.com/Qk63U1t.png

And then it goes back to normal
http://i.imgur.com/LbRvcjW.png

so in short every 3 sec resources display 0 values ><

Can anyone else reproduce this bug? or is just me :o??

Offline pawelx

• Neuling
  • No longer Ubuntu-based...
@pawelx try "sudo pacman -Syy" before "sudo pacman -Syu"

Thanks, this has helped. I wonder what blocked the automatic checking, it has always worked so far.

Offline BS86

• Neuling
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: KDE
  • GPU Card: AMD Sapphire Fury X
  • GPU driver: amdgpu
  • Kernel: latest ck-piledriver + latest LTS

Solution: remove or rename ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc.*

thanks, that also solved my broken KDE desktop that was only showing the mouse pointer after an enormous time that it hang on the loadscreen

I have to take the "solution" back. I have to do that step everytime the machine reboots, always resulting in the desktop settings being wiped .... Any other hints on how to solve that?
First experiences with SuSE in early 2000s, really started with Ubuntu 7.04, Unity got me back to Windows, Back on Linux with Linux Mint 15, switched to Kubuntu for Plasma 5, and now using Manjaro - at work using Fedora and CentOS - but still lots of experience to gather

Offline nyanloutre

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Skill: Novice
Since this update I have a little bug with lvmcache
In fact, every times I reboot it seem to check the whole cache (in the lvs output Cpy%Sync and CacheDirtyBlocks are not at 0)
My cache is configured in writethrough, I use linux 4.4 and before this update I didn't have this issue

Offline hakayova

• Neuling
Since this update, Plasma does not remember my double display settings, which consist of two monitors, one in portrait one and the other in landscape orientation. The one that uses the portrait mode also uses a submaximal resolution. Plasma does not remember any of these settings when logged in and when I correct them by KDE system settings and/or nvidia settings (several combinations tried) the outcome is suboptimal, with some of the desktop wallpaper from one monitor extending to the other. Log out and log in again, everything changed is reset, you have to do all again. I am not even mentioning X-server crashing when the monitors were turned off. It is a known bug for monitors with display port that is yet to be addressed.

After years of KDE use, I am now forced to use XFCE :(.

I don't think this is necessarily a Manjaro update problem, my humble guess is it is related to qt5 and KDE-plasma.

Offline varikonniemi

• Neuling
Yes, this was the version that was supposed to end multimonitor issues.

Offline akhilesh

• Neuling
    • Personal Blog
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: KDE
  • GPU Card: GTX 750 Ti
  • Kernel: x64
Solution: remove or rename ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc.*

This actually fixed a lot for me. Thanks.

Offline fredhoud

• Sr. Mitglied
  • King of Liunx!
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: KDE Plasma Version 5.6.3
  • GPU Card: Intel Quad Core i7-4790K - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745
  • Kernel: 4.4.9-1 Manjaro
Sadly, this last update totally created a grub nightmare on my work desktop. The grub wouldn't load with any of the 4 installed kernels. I didn't hear any solution, so I ended up installing Netrunner 17 on a new hard drive, and kept the other hard drive with the corrupted grub, just in case someone comes up with a solution. I guess having a bleeding edge OS has its own nightmares, and I experienced enough.  :-\

Offline hakayova

• Neuling
I have to take the "solution" back. I have to do that step everytime the machine reboots, always resulting in the desktop settings being wiped .... Any other hints on how to solve that?
I am on the same boat. Renaming that file did not help solve the problem. I either don't have a KDE desktop (black screen with a mouse cursor) or, occasionally a KDE desktop which did not remember any settings from before. In addition, Doplhin doesn't launch and crashes consistently, as well as drkonqi crashing. It is a mess.

Offline philm

• Core Team
    • Manjaro Linux
@fredhoud: please post the pacman.log or pamac.log so we see which packages got exactly updated on your end. I don't see any grub updates in this update at all, except the breeze theme for it. If needed you can try the latest stable build of Manjaro KDE.
« Last Edit: 03. April 2016, 00:41:44 by philm »

Offline AJSlye

• Maintainer
  • Netrunner Rolling Edition moderator / maintainer
  • Branch: Stable / Testing / Unstable
  • Desktop: Netrunner Rolling
  • GPU Card: Intel
  • GPU driver: Intel
  • Kernel: 4.4.1-1-MANJARO x86_64 (64 bit)
Philip, almost all of the kernels had updates, would this not rebuild the  initramfs and trigger a grub update?
Installed grub, not the package.
« Last Edit: 03. April 2016, 01:58:32 by AJSlye »

Offline philm

• Core Team
    • Manjaro Linux
Yep, a kernel update triggers a grub-update call. However this shouldn't change anything. We already removed grub-customizer from our repos weeks ago to avoid unwanted issues.

Offline AJSlye

• Maintainer
  • Netrunner Rolling Edition moderator / maintainer
  • Branch: Stable / Testing / Unstable
  • Desktop: Netrunner Rolling
  • GPU Card: Intel
  • GPU driver: Intel
  • Kernel: 4.4.1-1-MANJARO x86_64 (64 bit)
Yep, a kernel update triggers a grub-update call. However this shouldn't change anything. We already removed grub-customizer from our repos weeks ago to avoid unwanted issues.

Yes, but all versions of Netrunner are required to ships grub-customizer and is included in all the netrunner repositories.

Fredhoud,
Did you use grub-customizer on your systems?

Offline philm

• Core Team
    • Manjaro Linux
It is known that grub-customizer create issues. Therefore it shouldn't be used at all.