Author Topic: Is there a way to modify MHWD to install drivers for a non-default kernel.  (Read 1484 times)

Offline Mortem Bonum

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • GPU Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
  • GPU driver: Non-Free
  • Kernel: Linux-4.5
  • Skill: Intermediate
Now the kernel I'm using right now is linux-ck and it's a major hassle to get up running properly due to it lacking support from MHWD which provides a alternative working open source driver for my Realtek Ethernet controller.So I'm wondering if there is a possibility to modify MHWD (ie by editing a script somewhere) to make it compatible with a non-default kernel? I already searched the MHWD source code on GitHub and found nothing useful there.
« Last Edit: 22. March 2016, 22:57:58 by Mortem Bonum »

Offline jonathon

• Core Team
  • Technologist - Teacher - Tea drinker
  • Branch: Unstable
  • Desktop: MATE 1.14
  • GPU Card: Nvidia GTX680M
  • GPU driver: Bumblebee nvidia+intel
  • Kernel: 4.6.0-*-MANJARO x86_64
  • Skill: Advanced
Questions:

* What are you using a non-Manjaro kernel [for]?
* If you want a non-Manjaro setup, why not use Arch?

[edit: add missing word]
« Last Edit: 22. March 2016, 23:31:19 by jonathon »
--
MSI GT70: Core i7-3630QM, 16GB, Nvidia GTX680M, Intel 2230, Manjaro-MATE-amd64-EFI
Lenovo X230: Core i5-3320M, 4GB, Intel HD4000, Intel 6205, Manjaro-MATE-amd64
Dell Studio 1749: Core i5 540, 8GB, ATi HD5650, Intel WLAN, Manjaro-Xfce-amd64
Let's go in the garden; you'll find something waiting.

Offline Mortem Bonum

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
Questions:

* What are you using a non-Manjaro kernel?
* If you want a non-Manjaro setup, why not use Arch?

* Yes and the main reason I use it is due to it having way better performance than the stock kernel under heavy load.

* I already tried Arch and founded it to be perfectly over-rated.The amount of setup it took for me to get a usable system was personally too much for me to consider it worth-while (Compiling a Ethernet module and updating it for every new kernel release gets kinda hard to do over-time).So due to the aforementioned issues I prefer just using Manjaro and would like a way to modify it's MHWD module to fit my non-default kernel.

Offline jonathon

• Core Team
* Yes and the main reason I use it is due to it having way better performance than the stock kernel under heavy load.

If you can quantify the improvements, propose the patches for inclusion.

* I already tried Arch and founded it to be perfectly over-rated.The amount of setup it took for me to get a usable system was personally too much for me to consider it worth-while (Compiling a Ethernet module and updating it for every new kernel release gets kinda hard to do over-time).So due to the aforementioned issues I prefer just using Manjaro and would like a way to modify it's MHWD module to fit my non-default kernel.

You're wanting to modify an integral part of the Manjaro setup for a niche purpose; it will be probably possible but you're in a small number of users who would use that functionality. Unless you can develop this yourself (and maintain it as development continues) it's not going to be worth the development effort.
--
MSI GT70: Core i7-3630QM, 16GB, Nvidia GTX680M, Intel 2230, Manjaro-MATE-amd64-EFI

Offline Mortem Bonum

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
If you can quantify the improvements, propose the patches for inclusion.
The performance improvements are generally in heavy load situations like compiling a kernel while watching a video the system goes belly up on a kernel that uses CFS compared to the BFS that Linux-CK uses.The only problem with it is that the person who develops it has the patches only for Linux 4.3 and older which is generally due to him not having that much time to work on it anymore .Anyway http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/4.0/4.3/ is the link to the patches if you guys want to include them.

You're wanting to modify an integral part of the Manjaro setup for a niche purpose; it will be probably possible but you're in a small number of users who would use that functionality. Unless you can develop this yourself (and maintain it as development continues) it's not going to be worth the development effort.

Yes I understand that what I'm doing is probably a extremely niche thing to do but I'm wondering if it's possible to do so? I'm not suggesting you guys to include anything but rather would like someway to modify MHWD to fit my kernel.

Offline Kirek

• Core Team
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: Plasma 5
  • GPU Card: Intel HD4000 + Nvidia 620M / Geforxe GTX 970
  • GPU driver: nonfree
  • Kernel: Latest
Even if MHWD installing and configuring custom kernels, you will still need no maintain your driver module, and recompile it everytime you update your kernel, or use dkms. Mhwd won't help you in any of that.

Offline jonathon

• Core Team
a kernel that uses CFS compared to the BFS that Linux-CK uses.

Hm. I thought the Manjaro kernel included BFS, but it looks like it's only BFQ...

Code: [Select]
jonathon@manjaro ~> dmesg | grep scheduler
[    0.500570] io scheduler noop registered
[    0.500573] io scheduler deadline registered
[    0.500602] io scheduler cfq registered
[    0.500621] io scheduler bfq registered (default)
[    0.500622] BFQ I/O-scheduler: v7r8

I know Rob used to maintain a CK-patched kernel (but not the extra modules), https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=5842.0 . It might be time again to float these patches for inclusion in the main kernel builds.
--

Offline Mortem Bonum

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!

I know Rob used to maintain a CK-patched kernel (but not the extra modules), https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=5842.0 . It might be time again to float these patches for inclusion in the main kernel builds.

If you can manage to include them Jonathon it would make using my computer much more better in the sense that I wouldn't have to face unnecessary slowdown due to the kernel using a CPU scheduler that was designed for servers first and desktops second.

Offline spectromas

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Desktop: Awesome
  • GPU Card: ATI RV710/M92 [Radeon HD 4330/4350/4550]
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: linux45-x64
a CPU scheduler that was designed for servers first and desktops second.
Although true, I think that's a little bit harsh. CFS has come a long way in the last year or two. I don't notice that much difference between the two these days and for me the benefits have been outweighed by the bugs I've experienced with the BFS patch, it has had some serious issues up until very recently.

Have you tried the zen/liquorix patches?

You can always alias make if you really do have problems with that:
alias make="nice -n 7 make -j3"

Offline badbodh

• Held Mitglied
  • Windows assumes I'm stupid, Linux proves it.
  • Branch: Testing
  • Desktop: Xfce, i3
  • GPU Card: Intel Mobile 4 Series
  • Kernel: linux41 64-bit
mhwd resolves dependencies using pacman's database. You will probably have to compile your own packages & create your own repository+repo.db file for mhwd to refer to and select relevant extramodules.

* badbodh shoots in the dark and hits his own foot
You can't feel the love till it hurts a little. Go rolling, go bleeding-edge !

Offline Mortem Bonum

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
It might be time again to float these patches for inclusion in the main kernel builds.

On the topic of including patches I think Jonathon that you need to also include this script file that lowers the CPU up threshold for AMD CPU's from the original 90 percent to a more saner value.In my experience this even with the default CFS scheduler makes everything much more smoother (video playback doesn't stutter and CPU demanding games are actually now performing good).
#!/bin/bash
if grep "AMD" /proc/cpuinfo &>/dev/null; then
echo "w /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold - - - - 20" >> /etc/tmpfiles.d/cpufreq-upthreshold.conf
fi
rm "$0"

EDIT:The script requires root access in order to work.
« Last Edit: 23. March 2016, 18:10:12 by Mortem Bonum »

Offline Mortem Bonum

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
Although true, I think that's a little bit harsh. CFS has come a long way in the last year or two. I don't notice that much difference between the two these days and for me the benefits have been outweighed by the bugs I've experienced with the BFS patch, it has had some serious issues up until very recently.

Have you tried the zen/liquorix patches?

You can always alias make if you really do have problems with that:
alias make="nice -n 7 make -j3"

Sorry for the late reply but I tried the zen/liqourix patches and found them to be performing oddly worser than the ck patches from Con Kolivas.Anyway the real improvements from using BFS over CFS is not just on heavy workloads but also on general latency like for example when alt tabbing a game I get some weird laggy feeling with CFS compared to the DE being smooth with BFS.