Author Topic: manjaro-i3 16.06-dev (unstable branch)  (Read 7198 times)

Offline oberon

• Core Team
  • I'm nice. Be new!
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: i3, Deepin, Cinnamon
  • GPU Card: Intel ValleyView Gen7
  • GPU driver: Intel
  • Kernel: 4.1 / 4.4
  • Skill: Intermediate
manjaro-i3 16.06-dev (unstable branch)
« on: 11. March 2016, 23:12:50 »
I'm happy to present a first development-build of manjaro-i3 16.06 8)

Most obvious change of course is the graphical design. I have decided to try an edition which follows Ethan Schoonover's Solarized Colors consequently.
So you will find 'solarized' now:
ttys, urxvt, gtk-theme, i3statusbar, dmenu, conkies, i3-theme, moc-theme and wallpapers :o ... too much?? :P

Apart from that of course i3 16.06 has been adjusted to the new manjaro-tools and desktop-settings packaging guidelines,
it uses kernel 4.4 and i3-gaps of latest release 4.12 including some improvements and of course all the new features like sticky windows and the toggle split function:
With mod+q you can now toggle the split-direction without having to figure out first which way is horizontal and which vertical ... ;) ;D
dmenu-manjaro is at 4.6-5 and will very likely be developed a little further still until the final 16.06 release.
I have tweaked the screenshot functions with a little script, i3-scrot, which is also available as a package now. The destination for your screenshots can be set in a dedicated little file ~/.config/i3-scrot and the specified directory will be created automatically 8)
Like with the last stable release manjaro-i3 offers again the possibility to upgrade from alsa to pulseaudio with a single command install_pulse and back with rm_pulse.

Have fun testing and let me know about your thoughts, ideas, complaints... ;)

For your help, inspiration, criticism and valuable contributions I would like to thank especially
@Chrysostomus, @Belemrys (who infected me with that terrible solarized virus), @boruch,  and @Wilhelmine Tell and of course as always the great @philm and @artoo the master and keeper of the tools :)

Download from ==> HERE <==
The ISO files are signed with my gpg key ID 663CA268 “Bernhard Landauer oberon@manjaro.org”
« Last Edit: 12. March 2016, 01:52:57 by oberon »
manjaro is addictive ::)
* manjaro-i3  * manjaro-cinnamon  * manjaro-deepin

Offline Doaxan

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Desktop: Manjaro i3, Bspwm
  • GPU Card: Intel HD4000 + Nvidia GTX660M
  • GPU driver: non-free
Re: manjaro-i3 16.06-dev (unstable branch)
« Reply #1 on: 12. March 2016, 21:05:49 »
Thank you very much! I have a small sentence: it would be very healthy if there would be opportunity easily to change a keyboard layout, through the utility or the CLI interface. I understand that layout changes, for example, setxkbmap - layout "us,ru" - option "grp:shift_caps_switch" but it would be desirable to use the utility like "lxqt-config" or "xfce4-keyboard-settings" but alas they don't work :(

Offline twodogsdave

• Jr. Mitglied
  • Desktop: i3
  • GPU Card: Radeon HD Graphics
  • GPU driver: free
« Reply #2 on: 13. March 2016, 01:07:36 »
Thanks for this, Oberon!  Very nice!

I'm liking the solarized colors.  I noticed the 'selected color' in the solarized light theme is a bright blue.  Not a good color.

I will begin testing and let you know if I find anything amiss.

Rock on!!

Offline Argon

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Skill: Novice
« Reply #3 on: 13. March 2016, 14:34:48 »
Hey, will there be a new stable iso too?

Offline drumBE

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • welcome to the dark side_______linux user # 527315
  • Branch: testing
  • Desktop: cinnamon & fluxbox & xfce & openbox
  • Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.1.16-1
« Reply #4 on: 13. March 2016, 14:40:11 »
@ Argon: i think this can solve your question:
You may at any time revert back to the Stable Repositories, if you wish. To do so, we can do this once again by running pacman-mirrors:

sudo pacman-mirrors -g -b stable

Now synchronise and update your entire system, and you're ready to go again. The pacman -Suu is necessary to downgrade packages, this will prevent fatal conflicts.

sudo pacman -Syy
sudo pacman -Suu

The use of the Unix philosophy just for UNIX was a great waste. Fortunately, Linux came along.   -- a Linux user 2005

Offline oberon

• Core Team
  • I'm nice. Be new!
« Reply #5 on: 13. March 2016, 15:13:27 »
@ Argon: i think this can solve your question:
You may at any time revert back to the Stable Repositories, if you wish. To do so, we can do this once again by running pacman-mirrors:

sudo pacman-mirrors -g -b stable

Now synchronise and update your entire system, and you're ready to go again. The pacman -Suu is necessary to downgrade packages, this will prevent fatal conflicts.

sudo pacman -Syy
sudo pacman -Suu
If you want to switch to stable I suggest you simply edit your /etc/pacman-mirrors.conf
Code: [Select]
Branch=unstable==>>
Code: [Select]
Branch=stableand then just wait until pacman wants to update next time. For a few days you will just get warnings that your local packages are newer than stable repo but that's it. No other problems to be expected :)
From next stable update on everything will be normal...

Offline oberon

• Core Team
  • I'm nice. Be new!
« Reply #6 on: 13. March 2016, 15:19:27 »
But to really answer the question ;)
Hey, will there be a new stable iso too?
Eventually, yes, but not in the immediate future :)
I'd like to give development a little more time and I think that the current basis is good to use... (sounds like a contradiction in itself but somehow uhm .... its not! ??? ;D )
So, I'd suggest if you like to start now, just install the testbuild and switch to your preferred branch as described in the previous post... :)

Offline Argon

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
« Reply #7 on: 13. March 2016, 15:33:33 »
Will give that a shot. Thanks, you two.

Offline Belemrys

• Jr. Mitglied
  • I love Manjaro i3!
  • Branch: Unstable
  • GPU Card: ATI Radeon r9 270
  • GPU driver: MESA
  • Kernel: 4.1
« Reply #8 on: 14. March 2016, 16:27:19 »
Best surprise after a long weekend out camping! Time to download! Looks great!

Offline Belemrys

• Jr. Mitglied
  • I love Manjaro i3!
« Reply #9 on: 15. March 2016, 18:49:46 »
Having issues installing with Calamares, had to use Thus or CLI...at least on my virtual box...

Offline torvic9

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Hello world!
  • Branch: stable
« Reply #10 on: 16. March 2016, 15:20:07 »
Cool stuff!

At first I didn't like the solarized theme at all, but it gets better the more you look at the screenshots :)

If only i3 included an automatic tiling feature. Maybe I should post a feature request on github, but I think it's going to be dismissed.
i3: i7-5820K | 32 GB | GeForce GTX 960, nvidia | linux44-custom
KDE: i7-920 | 12 GB | GeForce GTS 450, nouveau | linux44
Gnome: Thinkpad X200s | linux41

Offline Belemrys

• Jr. Mitglied
  • I love Manjaro i3!
« Reply #11 on: 16. March 2016, 17:43:11 »
Yeah, automatic tiling takes away from the foundation of i3...simple yet completely control of your tiles

Offline Chrysostomus

• Maintainer
  • Neckbeards are cool
    • Git
  • Desktop: Gnome, bspwm
  • GPU Card: Intel HD4000
  • Kernel: linux44-x64
« Reply #12 on: 17. March 2016, 02:26:19 »
If you like i3 but would sometimes want more automatic behaviour, you might like bspwm. It is also manual tiler like i3 (with arguably even more control over window placement), but it has somewhat different tiling paradigm. If you just spawn new windows, it automatically produces layout similar to fibonacci layout of many automatic tilers. And like i3, it is easy to script to produce virtually any layout.

Offline Chrysostomus

• Maintainer
  • Neckbeards are cool
    • Git
  • Desktop: Gnome, bspwm
  • GPU Card: Intel HD4000
  • Kernel: linux44-x64
« Reply #13 on: 17. March 2016, 02:30:30 »
What kind of automatic layout are you thinking of? If it is basic master area + bottom/side stack, you can just script i3 to issue split command when there are 2 windows on the desktop. That should emulate automatic tiling without taking away your manual tiling options.

Offline torvic9

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Hello world!
  • Branch: stable
« Reply #14 on: 17. March 2016, 12:15:04 »

There was a thread here regarding a python script which enabled alternating layout. It worked really well, but I've disabled it because it seems to be some sort of a dirty hack.
I'm aware that automatic tiling is somewhat against the i3 philosophy, but then making it optional wouldn't hurt.
What kind of automatic layout are you thinking of? If it is basic master area + bottom/side stack, you can just script i3 to issue split command when there are 2 windows on the desktop. That should emulate automatic tiling without taking away your manual tiling options.
That sounds good, but everything which goes beyond a "Hello World" script is out of reach for me. As a kid, I wrote small BASIC programs on a mighty Amstrad CPC, but forgot basically everything about programming and scripting...
If you like i3 but would sometimes want more automatic behaviour, you might like bspwm. It is also manual tiler like i3 (with arguably even more control over window placement), but it has somewhat different tiling paradigm. If you just spawn new windows, it automatically produces layout similar to fibonacci layout of many automatic tilers. And like i3, it is easy to script to produce virtually any layout.
Haven't had the time yet to look into bspwm, although I must say that it looks promising and I like the tiling paradigm. I just quickly tested it in live mode on my laptop.
However it took me months to learn i3, and now switching to bspwm will throw me back again. The only reason I currently use i3 is the fantastic multi monitor/workspaces support, nothing came close to i3 in my tests.
« Last Edit: 17. March 2016, 12:20:20 by torvic9 »
i3: i7-5820K | 32 GB | GeForce GTX 960, nvidia | linux44-custom
KDE: i7-920 | 12 GB | GeForce GTS 450, nouveau | linux44
Gnome: Thinkpad X200s | linux41