Author Topic: Strategies for reverting a breaking upgrade?  (Read 1614 times)

Offline muncharo

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: i3
  • GPU Card: VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: 4.1.19-1-MANJARO
  • Skill: Advanced
Strategies for reverting a breaking upgrade?
« on: 27. February 2016, 05:30:07 »
What are peoples strategies when after an upgrade suddenly the computer doesn't work anymore, won't boot, you have no clue what broke?

Is there an easy way to undo the latest update?

Do you have a second linux install on disk so you have something to boot into in case there is not live usb stick available (say you are on the go and didn't bring it)?

Install with btrfs and do a snapshot before every upgrade so you can revert it if you are able to get into a shell?

I'd be really grateful to here how people handle this situation, sometimes you just need a working machine :-)

Offline Chrysostomus

• Maintainer
  • Neckbeards are cool
    • Git
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: Gnome, bspwm
  • GPU Card: Intel HD4000
  • Kernel: linux44-x64
  • Skill: Intermediate
Re: Strategies for reverting a breaking upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: 27. February 2016, 06:06:49 »
Btrfs snapshots are good for this. if you don't have btrfs, then chrooting from live media is probably the way to go. You can check what packages you updated from
Code: [Select]
/var/log/pacman.logand downgrade them with downgrade.

Offline excalibur1234

• Global Moderator
  • Desktop: net-minimal + LXQt
  • GPU driver: video-nouveau
  • Kernel: 4.6
« Reply #2 on: 27. February 2016, 11:09:09 »
yes, i have a usb stick. most of the time, some manjaro live cd is burned onto it.

i can boot from it an chroot into my existing manjaro installation as described  here: https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Restore_the_GRUB_Bootloader#Use_mhwd-chroot
i have used manjaro for more than 2.5 years and for more than 1 year i am using the unstable branch. there was only 1 update, which broke my GUI. i booted into a live cd, searched the forums for a solution. then, i rebooted and used a tty to downgrade my proprietary nvidia driver (but i could have done that also by chrooting into my existing system).

another important thing, when you are experimenting with your system: always have an up-to-date backup of your important data and your /home directory! i use rsync to back up my home directory daily to another drive.
Need more information? Search here:   Manjaro Forum   |   Manjaro Wiki   |   Arch Wiki

Offline oberon

• Core Team
  • I'm nice. Be new!
  • Desktop: i3, Deepin, Cinnamon
  • GPU Card: Intel ValleyView Gen7
  • GPU driver: Intel
  • Kernel: 4.1 / 4.4
« Reply #3 on: 27. February 2016, 11:26:27 »
I have two manjaro installations on my laptop and can very easily chroot into the other one when needed by simply typing
manjaro-chroot -aThis feature is now included in every installation already via manjaro-tools-base
I use both of the installations but it would be a feasible solution to simply keep a minimal installation on a small partition, just for the sake of an emergency entry :) Just make sure that you keep you grub update, which has to be done from the install that you have made last - so probably the rescue one then ... ... ;)
Most issues though I was simply able to fix by going to a console session. Either by simply switching ttys with Ctrl+Alt+F2 or there is also the way to directly boot into a console session (when maybe your DM is broken ::) )

I think the USB stick option is the safest because it will even work when you're not able to boot at all or in case you'd not be able to reach your grub-screen altogether 8) Also it needs no maintenance. It should work even when the image on your stick is old.
manjaro is addictive ::)
* manjaro-i3  * manjaro-cinnamon  * manjaro-deepin

Offline kouros17

• Held Mitglied
  • Branch: Unstable
  • Desktop: Xfce (4.12.3)
  • GPU Card: AMD Radeon HD 8570 / R7 200 Series
  • GPU driver: Non-free (Catalyst)
  • Kernel: 4.6rc7 - x86_64
« Reply #4 on: 27. February 2016, 12:11:08 »
I have a manjaro live cd burned in a usb stick to boot from it an chroot into my existing manjaro installation (as described by excalibur1234 earlier) and I have also an external  hard drive where I keep the backup of my system with Clonezilla.
With Clonezilla you can clone a single drive (or even a single partition within a drive), an exact copy of your system and then recover that drive (the copy of your system) if the computer doesn't boot, something broke after an update, e.t.c.
I suggest Clonezilla solution to any novice user.

Offline muncharo

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • GPU Card: VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
« Reply #5 on: 27. February 2016, 18:25:47 »
I will implement btrfs and clonezilla, for downgrade, any ideas what to do if your polkit is broken? This is my shredded upgrade:

https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=31356.msg259396#msg259396

Offline eugen-b

• Support Team
  • Branch: testing
  • Desktop: LXDE, Fluxbox, JWM, LXQt, bspwm
  • GPU Card: Intel 82945G/GZ
  • Kernel: 4.5, 4.6
« Reply #6 on: 27. February 2016, 18:44:00 »
I will update/complete my btrfs install guide in half an hour.
MSI Wind Nettop, Intel Atom 230 1.6GHz (64bit), 2GB RAM
DEs: NET-minimal + (LXDE / Fluxbox / JWM); LXQt OpenRC
how to install on btrfs subvolumes
http://manjaro.github.io/donate/

Offline papajoke

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • from www.manjaro.fr
  • Branch: stable/testing
  • Desktop: KDE4 and 5 - zsh
  • GPU driver: video-nouveau free
  • Kernel: x64
« Reply #7 on: 27. February 2016, 18:47:44 »
Most issues though I was simply able to fix by going to a console session. Either by simply switching ttys with Ctrl+Alt+F2 or there is also the way to directly boot into a console session (when maybe your DM is broken )
alter CTRL+ALT+F2 and before chroot; if you have systemd you can modify grub boot for load directly in console :
grub edit with "e" key and mofify text :
linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.XX-x86_64 root=UUID=XXX978e3e81-8a06 rw quiet splash
by :
linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.XX-x86_64 root=UUID=XXX978e3e81-8a06 rw 3
« Last Edit: 27. February 2016, 18:50:42 by papajoke »

Offline c00ter

• Held Mitglied
  • Towelie's cupcake
  • Branch: ☮Olive☮
  • Desktop: Depends©
  • GPU Card: Intel HD4400M CPU: Core i7-4510U
  • GPU driver: Intel/Free
  • Kernel: 4.4-lts & 4.5
  • Skill: Novice
« Reply #8 on: 27. February 2016, 20:26:43 »
I run vanilla Arch. The last time I encountered a showstopper was in Debian, 'lo these many moons ago. The Arch Wayback Machine  & a Manjaro LiveUSB (KDE, 'cause of Dolphin) are not to be discounted! :D

Regards.
« Last Edit: 27. February 2016, 20:28:31 by c00ter »
“What, me worry?” ― Alfred E. Newman

Manjaro Wiki: https://wiki.manjaro.org/
Arch Wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/
Pacman Rosetta: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Rosetta

Offline muncharo

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
« Reply #9 on: 27. February 2016, 23:58:36 »
eugen-b I will follow your btrfs guide once you have finished it and do a clean install, I want FDE and probably need swap, can I have the swap outside of btrfs? I hear it doesn't like it ..

papajoke the system boot doesn't let me CTRL ALT F2, I'm not getting to a terminal that way, I can try the grub way, I can exit the splash with ESC but I can't switch to a different tty

c00ter dolphin is nice for exotic things like connecting to a phone via usb cable, but why else is it better than other filebrowsers? I shall try vanilla arch, would love to learn more about the wayback machine

oberon I can chroot into my manjaro install by booting from a kubuntu UEFI usb stick, but once I'm in I have no clue what to do anymore, can I just reinstall on that encrypted partition and keep my encrypted home partition the way it is? For some strange reason I can no longer boot a manjaro i3 usb stick, it just says operating system not found (using dd), the only thing I was able to boot is uefi kubuntu, which is weird since I installed manjaro from usb stick and the bios settings allow legacy boot ..

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH! The manjaro community and support is amazing.

Offline eugen-b

• Support Team
« Reply #10 on: 28. February 2016, 00:34:58 »
@muncharo, btrfs doesn't have anything against swap as long as it is not a swapfile on a btrfs partition - this is simply not possible a opposed to ext4. But a separate swap partition will work fine. But is most likely not needed.
The btrfs install tutorial is ready, btw. Also added an fstab example and commands for snapshots.

Offline muncharo

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
« Reply #11 on: 28. February 2016, 00:50:24 »
You're awesome, I will get to it and follow your tutorial

My machine has 8GB of ram and is constantly swapping, what will happen if I don't have a swap partition? Will it just force close running apps? I'm using overlayfs with chromium, but it was also swapping before that, too many open tabs ..

My system was extremely unstable recently, randomly crash, not wake up from suspend, have the weirdest issues like suddenly closing certain apps or bash telling me it can't fork because too many processes are running etc ... is that because of overlayfs or something else?

Offline eugen-b

• Support Team
« Reply #12 on: 28. February 2016, 01:01:46 »
I don't use Chromium. The system would become unresponsive when a browser has too many tabs open and after some time the browser would get closed by the system.
You could consier installing profile-sync-daemon, search this in the Arch Wiki.
But the easiest solution would be to clean browser cache.
It isn't normal that you need swap with 8GB RAM.
Take a look at the file /etc/sysctl.d/100-manjaro.conf, it should have vm.swappiness = 1 meaning almost zero.
But if you have a HDD swap is not a problem, then you can even set vm.swappiness = 60
« Last Edit: 28. February 2016, 01:03:49 by eugen-b »

Offline muncharo

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
« Reply #13 on: 28. February 2016, 02:25:08 »
Yes I'm using profile-sync-daemon from arch wiki

I use dockers to run redis, mongo and skype, crashplan and a bunch of chromium tabs, that's it. Somehow the ram always fills up and it starts swapping, when it starts swapping things get bad, at least there is lag for a while (it's swapping to SSD)

swappiness is 1, I'll do a clean install and then hunt down what the issue is with my ram usage .. thanks!

Offline c00ter

• Held Mitglied
  • Towelie's cupcake
  • Branch: ☮Olive☮
  • Desktop: Depends©
  • GPU Card: Intel HD4400M CPU: Core i7-4510U
  • GPU driver: Intel/Free
  • Kernel: 4.4-lts & 4.5
  • Skill: Novice
« Reply #14 on: 28. February 2016, 04:14:04 »
c00ter dolphin is nice for exotic things like connecting to a phone via usb cable, but why else is it better than other filebrowsers? I shall try vanilla arch, would love to learn more about the wayback machine

A. One word--plugins
B. ArchWiki

Regards

“What, me worry?” ― Alfred E. Newman

Manjaro Wiki: https://wiki.manjaro.org/
Arch Wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/
Pacman Rosetta: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Rosetta