Poll

Did you experience any issue with this update?

No issues, everything went smoothly.
138 (73%)
Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself. (Please post your solution)
11 (5.8%)
Yes I am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)
40 (21.2%)

Total Members Voted: 189

Author Topic: [Update] 2016-02-21 - Kernels, KDE, Pamac, Firefox, Thunderbird, Lumina, Intel  (Read 23580 times)

Offline eugen-b

• Support Team
  • Branch: testing
  • Desktop: LXDE, Fluxbox, JWM, LXQt, bspwm
  • GPU Card: Intel 82945G/GZ
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: 4.5, 4.6
  • Skill: Intermediate
@art, the post of mmtm has some important adjustments https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=31356.msg258466#msg258466
If you want to install a kernel, you need to mount --bind /run.
MSI Wind Nettop, Intel Atom 230 1.6GHz (64bit), 2GB RAM
DEs: NET-minimal + (LXDE / Fluxbox / JWM); LXQt OpenRC
how to install on btrfs subvolumes
http://manjaro.github.io/donate/

Offline art

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: Xfce
  • Skill: Novice
@eugen-b

do you have any clue what is wrong with my way (understanding) of just updating cryptsetup version?
why did I got the error messages?

I do fear a bit, that with performing a bigger step (kernel update) I might have even more trouble (as I never did such stuff before).

Offline eugen-b

• Support Team
It depends on how your update kernel went. I f you have another working kernel in you Grub menu then you can boot with it. Chroot your system once again and run update-grub. After that you should be able to boot with kernel 4.1.18.

Offline art

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
@eugen-b

I just did the simple update as performed automatically by manjaro --> no other kernel is available in grub  :(
that's also another learning I take with me, to have several kernel in grub, so that I can select one (I need to learn first how to do that)

On another testing notebook this is done automatically by that Linux distribution; but not on my main notebook by manjaro.

I wanted to go (if this is feasible, and others seem to be successful with that approach) for the minimal change and just do version upgrade of cryptsetup.
Any idea why this minimal invasive correction fails on my computer?

Code: [Select]
[manjaro@manjaro ~]$ su
[manjaro manjaro]# mkdir /mnt/root
[manjaro manjaro]# cryptsetup open /dev/sda2 root
Geben Sie die Passphrase für »/dev/sda2« ein:
[manjaro manjaro]# mount /dev/mapper/ManjaroVG-ManjaroRoot /mnt/root
[manjaro manjaro]# chroot /mnt/root /bin/bash
[root@manjaro /]# pacman -U http://repo.manjaro.org.uk/pool/overlay/cryptsetup-1.7.0-1.1-$(uname -m).pkg.tar.xz
Lade Pakete...
Fehler: '/var/cache/pacman/pkg/cryptsetup-1.7.0-1.1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz': Erforderliche Signatur für Paket fehlt
[root@manjaro /]# pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/cryptsetup-1.7.0-1.1-$(uname -m).pkg.tar.xz
Lade Pakete...
Warnung: cryptsetup-1.7.0-1.1 ist aktuell -- Reinstalliere
Löse Abhängigkeiten auf...
Suche nach in Konflikt stehenden Paketen...

Pakete (1) cryptsetup-1.7.0-1.1

Gesamtgröße der installierten Pakete:  1,14 MiB
Größendifferenz der Aktualisierung:  0,00 MiB

:: Installation fortsetzen? [J/n] J
(1/1) Prüfe Schlüssel im Schlüsselring             [######################] 100%
(1/1) Überprüfe Paket-Integrität                   [######################] 100%
(1/1) Lade Paket-Dateien                           [######################] 100%
(1/1) Prüfe auf Dateikonflikte                     [######################] 100%
:: Verarbeite Paketänderungen...
(1/1) Installiere cryptsetup                       [######################] 100%
[root@manjaro /]# exit
exit
[manjaro manjaro]# umount /mnt/root
[manjaro manjaro]# cryptsetup close root
device-mapper: remove ioctl on root failed: Das Gerät oder die Ressource ist belegt
device-mapper: remove ioctl on root failed: Das Gerät oder die Ressource ist belegt
Gerät »root« wird gerade benutzt.
[manjaro manjaro]# pwd
/home/manjaro

Offline eugen-b

• Support Team
1. you forgot to mount all the subfolders
2. you need to umount all the subfolders first before /mnt/root

(you get several kernels in Grub automatically when installing an additional kernel, when booting choose Advanced Options and the entry with the kernel you want)
« Last Edit: 01. March 2016, 17:16:02 by eugen-b »

Offline oberon

• Core Team
  • I'm nice. Be new!
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: i3, Deepin, Cinnamon
  • GPU Card: Intel ValleyView Gen7
  • GPU driver: Intel
  • Kernel: 4.1 / 4.4
I just did the simple update as performed automatically by manjaro --> no other kernel is available in grub  :(
I this a dual boot?
If so, you'd very likely have to go to the other install and update-grub from there! ?
manjaro is addictive ::)
* manjaro-i3  * manjaro-cinnamon  * manjaro-deepin

Offline art

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
@oberon: no, I do have only manjaro on my main notebook; and all other PCs with Linux versions on them.

@eugen-b:
does that mean, that I have misunderstood the fix-tutorial from philm?

How-to fix
•You need to boot with a working live-cd

•unlock your encrypted root partition

•mount your root partition

•chroot into your root partition

•update your system to get the fixed cryptsetup package

•run cryptsetup close root (as described in the second step)

•reboot without live-cd

Even for "only" upgrading cryptsetup version I do need to mount all that:
# mount -t ext4 /dev/mapper/root /mnt
# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot
# mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
# mount --bind /dev/pts /mnt/dev/pts
# mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
# mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
# chroot /mnt /bin/bash

Did I got that right?

Offline art

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
just have had a further "look" on my last code sequence.
Isn't that nonsense?
I do have an encrypted disk, and therefore directly mounting of /dev/sda1 to /mnt/boot is very silly command and could cause heavy trouble?

Offline mmtm

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Desktop: i3
  • GPU Card: Intel
  • Kernel: linux44-x64
@art: Installing another kernel shouldn't be that difficult.

Just read the wiki, or read jinformatique's comment: https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=31356.msg258704#msg258704

The installation of another kernel solved that particular problem for most of us.  ;)

And according to your 'hell of error messages' while trying to install a kernel. Don't you think it would be quite helpful to post those messages here to know what error exactly occured.
E.g., was it because you have no internet connection?

Have you run pacman -Syu in chroot?

Offline LA-MJ

• Neuling
I do have an encrypted disk, and therefore directly mounting of /dev/sda1 to /mnt/boot is very silly command and could cause heavy trouble?

that is an unencrypted boot partition presumably see the wiki

you need it only if you want to upgrade your kernel

Offline eugen-b

• Support Team
@art, philm gave links to the Arch Wiki, following all these links would give you the same commands as described by heyne01 and mmtm. I would just recommend to follow the commands as given in mmtm's post. I'm not sure, but some commands are described as optional by heyne01, but they are probably neccessary. Just mount all the mentioned subfolders to be sure and after that unmount them in reversed order.

Offline art

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
@LA-MJ: thanks for clarification that /dev/sda1 is an unencryped partition - I thought that I made some strange copy-paste-error

@mmtm: you are right, that I should have posted the 'hell of error messages' while trying to install a kernel, but
1) I didn't log that
2) I wanted to go for the (what I thought) easiest way = just upgrade cryptsetup version
3) I didn't want to open a second stream of topic; just say, that I tried that as well and failed as well

regarding
Have you run pacman -Syu in chroot?
I think I did it, but cannot remember for sure.

I mainly concentrated on fix-tutorial from philm, as this seems to be the easiest for me.

@all:
Do you really recommend to go for new kernel instead of fix-tutorial from philm?

Offline mmtm

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Desktop: i3
  • GPU Card: Intel
  • Kernel: linux44-x64
just have had a further "look" on my last code sequence.
Isn't that nonsense?

Maybe this is a useful reading for you: What's the proper way to prepare chroot to recover a broken Linux installation?

:)
« Last Edit: 01. March 2016, 18:13:12 by mmtm »

Offline art

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
@mmtm:
Thanks for:
Maybe this is a useful reading for you: What's the proper way to prepare chroot to recover a broken Linux installation?
I will read that carefully.

Offline david.moser@skytex.net

• Neuling
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • GPU Card: ATi
  • GPU driver: Not Sure
  • Kernel: linux37-x86, linux39-x86
I seem to be stuck at this oxygen icon error as shown in the post by others. Working with a live cd was promising except for the update part. I got the very same errors as on my main hard drive. So, I will need some further direction in order to get this resolved. Any and all help will be appreciated. Thanks, David.