Poll

Did you experience any issue with this update?

No issues, everything went smoothly.
138 (73%)
Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself. (Please post your solution)
11 (5.8%)
Yes I am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)
40 (21.2%)

Total Members Voted: 189

Author Topic: [Update] 2016-02-21 - Kernels, KDE, Pamac, Firefox, Thunderbird, Lumina, Intel  (Read 22711 times)

Offline cb474

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
I believe the current (working) version is 1.7.0-2.
In philm's post (https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=31356.msg257698#msg257698) about how to fix the problem, it says you need 1.7.0-1.1. So I'm still confused why I can boot with the 4.4 kernel, but not 4.1. Unless I'm missing something, the post just says you need to make sure 1.7.0-1.1 is installed.

Offline prot

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Skill: Novice
I had the same issue with cryptsetup and Kernel 4.18. Updated before the new cryptsetup version was provided. Thanks to the very quick response to this issue by Phillip and his guideline to fix it, i could solve it myself, even i didn't used Chroot and mounting drives from the terminal before. Also eugen-b's guide to downgrade the kernel version (or install a new) worked fine!

Now everything works perfectly again :)

Thank you very much Manjaro Team for such a great and fast support!

Offline jonathon

• Core Team
  • Technologist - Teacher - Tea drinker
  • Branch: Unstable
  • Desktop: MATE 1.14
  • GPU Card: Nvidia GTX680M
  • GPU driver: Bumblebee nvidia+intel
  • Kernel: 4.6.0-*-MANJARO x86_64
  • Skill: Advanced
In philm's post (https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=31356.msg257698#msg257698) about how to fix the problem, it says you need 1.7.0-1.1. So I'm still confused why I can boot with the 4.4 kernel, but not 4.1. Unless I'm missing something, the post just says you need to make sure 1.7.0-1.1 is installed.

Is that the package you have installed? You could also try updating (again) to see if 1.7.0-2 is available.
--
MSI GT70: Core i7-3630QM, 16GB, Nvidia GTX680M, Intel 2230, Manjaro-MATE-amd64-EFI
Lenovo X230: Core i5-3320M, 4GB, Intel HD4000, Intel 6205, Manjaro-MATE-amd64
Dell Studio 1749: Core i5 540, 8GB, ATi HD5650, Intel WLAN, Manjaro-Xfce-amd64
Let's go in the garden; you'll find something waiting.

Offline gadgetboi

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
    • da gadgetboi's blog
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: KDE, Deepin, Cinnamon
No it will only re-download that package as long as you don't clear the cache.
try this:
Code: [Select]
sudo pacman -S arch-keyring manjaro-keyring
sudo pacman -Syu

i got this problem. you see i (think) i almost download all the updates (i don't know, i left my computer for a while) and after i return the terminal said press key to continue. I assume the update was success. but the octopi still in RED color and I try to update again and saw there's 29.25 MB still left and there's error after i tried to continue the update "error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
manjaro-base-skel: /etc/skel/.dir_colors exists in filesystem"

I have tried your sugestion but no luck ...
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

Offline jonathon

• Core Team
i got this problem.

Perhaps you didn't realise I replied to your earlier post. That's OK.

In this case, delete the file. Update again.

You could also have tried searching the forum (or indeed to web) to find a resolution to this.
--
MSI GT70: Core i7-3630QM, 16GB, Nvidia GTX680M, Intel 2230, Manjaro-MATE-amd64-EFI

Offline gadgetboi

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
    • da gadgetboi's blog
Perhaps you didn't realise I replied to your earlier post. That's OK.

In this case, delete the file. Update again.

You could also have tried searching the forum (or indeed to web) to find a resolution to this.

oops ..sorry ... i'm really new into this kind of forum  :P ... Thanks for your reply. I'm stil trying to re-update all 697MB of pakages now. hopefully will smooth as other user's said  ;D

Offline gadgetboi

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
    • da gadgetboi's blog
I'm happy to announce our nineth update of Manjaro 15.12 (Capella)!

With this we updated firefox, thunderbird, glibc, haskell, libreoffice, palemoon, lumina-desktop, arc-themes, manjaro-tools, manjaro-profile-settings, gnome, pamac, deepin, video-intel, packagekit, wine, systemd and haskell. This brings also new KDE packages and new kernel version. Remember that linux43 is now 'end of life' tagged!

Archlinux upstream fixes are now from: Sat Feb 20 10:20:00 CET 2016.

It is always good to check for updated packages, even we don't notify you about them. As usual people using our testing branch will help us to get snaps over to our stable branch almost smoothly. For notifications on daily bases please take a look at our mailing list.

Kind regards,
Philip Müller and the Manjaro Development Team

Current supported kernels
  • Linux310 3.10.97
  • Linux312 3.12.54
  • Linux313 3.13.11.35
  • Linux314 3.14.61
  • Linux316 3.16.7.24
  • Linux318 3.18.27
  • Linux319 3.19.8.15
  • Linux41  4.1.18
  • Linux42  4.2.8.4
  • Linux43  4.3.6 EOL
  • Linux44  4.4.2
  • Linux45  4.5-rc4

Package changes
  • community i686:  410 new and 365 removed package(s)
  • community x86_64:  409 new and 364 removed package(s)
  • core i686:  38 new and 37 removed package(s)
  • core x86_64:  38 new and 37 removed package(s)
  • extra i686:  909 new and 916 removed package(s)
  • extra x86_64:  909 new and 916 removed package(s)
  • multilib x86_64:  31 new and 26 removed package(s)

after i donwload all the pakages, I got this error "manjaro-base-skel: /etc/skel/.dir_colors exists in filesystem Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded"
I tried to re-update by clearing the cache first, but no luck. Tried find someone with this problem, but i guess nobody had the problem like i have. sorry to disturb this thread but i hope you got solution on my problem

Offline Joseph

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Desktop: kde
  • Skill: Intermediate
Gnome desktop issues after upgrade.   Mouse invisible, cannot select applications. Can navigate with keyboard.  Mouse works on other systems.   It started to work ok again.  Don't know. 
« Last Edit: 23. February 2016, 18:01:01 by Joseph »

Offline pianoplayer

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
It seems as if the latest systemd-update (3 packages) that I have received today, has fixed the problem mentioned here. Does anybody know what has been updated exactly?

Offline mmtm

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Desktop: i3
  • GPU Card: Intel
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: linux44-x64
Okay, VICTORY (at least so far)

Managed to install the latest kernel (45 rc) and it's working. Also tried 44, but couldn't log in - first there was a black screen and then a white screen saying that something went wrong (rly).

For all still struggling, maybe the following helps. This is what I did once in the live system and open terminal:

# su
# cryptsetup open --type luks /dev/sda2 root
# mount -t ext4 /dev/mapper/root /mnt
These are optional - if you want to install a new kernel:
# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot
# mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
# mount --bind /dev/pts /mnt/dev/pts
# mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
# mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys

# chroot /mnt /bin/bash
Install the updated cryptsetup package and/or linux45
pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/cryptsetup-1.7.0-1.1-$(uname -m).pkg.tar.xz
pacman -S linux45

Kudos! Three absolutely marvelous post! Thank you, heyne001!

Maybe just one addition:
# cp /etc/resolv.conf etc/resolv.confbefore running chroot command.

Thank you guys! Your posts helped me solving the luks-encryption-issue. ^^

For those who want to install another kernel instead, should mount "run" too:
# mount --bind /run /mnt/run
In my case the issue could only be solved by installing another kernel (4.4, old kernel was 4.1). Therefore I had to add the line above. Otherwise grub would post errors while mkinitcpio was running.

And if your computer/laptop/etc. uses UEFI, you should mount the efi partition, too:
# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot/efi
To get detailed information about the partitions on your harddisk, this command is quite helpful:
lsblk -f
So you have to change the mount-point-names according to your partition-table.

I don't know if my last two points are really necessary, but it helped solving my problem. ^^
Well, one reason I moved from archlinux to manjaro was to avoid those downgrade-procedures(ok, first time on manjaro after six month old install, I am not angry or sth. ;-) ), but luckily there are well written 'step-by-step' guides in this forum.
So thanks again.
« Last Edit: 23. February 2016, 19:01:24 by mmtm »

Offline philm

• Core Team
    • Manjaro Linux
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • GPU Card: Geforce GTX 650
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Kernel: Maintainer - so all ;)
  • Skill: Guru
cryptsetup-1.7.0-1.1 is my fixed package. cryptsetup-1.7.0-2 is the same, which was pushed by Arch-Upstream. It doesn't matter which package you have installed, at least it is with revision 1.1 or higher.

Offline heyne001

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
Thank you guys! Your posts helped me solving the luks-encryption-issue. ^^

I don't know if my last two points are really necessary, but it helped solving my problem. ^^
Well, one reason I moved from archlinux to manjaro was to avoid those downgrade-procedures(ok, first time on manjaro after six month old install, I am not angry or sth. ;-) ), but luckily there are well written 'step-by-step' guides in this forum.
So thanks again.
Yes they are. Countless of linux users can potentially find this info through search engines. Little bits like this could help hundreds if not thousands and it works like promotion for Manjaro too. Maybe some guy stumbles onto your post e.g. while searching for a solution for some issue maybe and then starts using this distribution. You never know. Maybe donates, maybe not. But it surely helps the community grow and get better.

My view is that if you know something, teach it to others. Even if it's something simple. Even if you get it wrong and it gets shot down, at least you still can learn from it.

The awesome thing about Manjaro is that you get all the good stuff from Arch (AUR, wiki, bleeding edge software), yet have a more stable system. Yes, bugs can slip through and they will, but it's the nature of a rolling release. There are still precautions one can take - disable kernel updating, install additional kernels, wait couple of days before updating and read this forum (which is awesome - I've been using Linux for couple of years now and this is the first linux forum I've signed up to) to see if the update can cause potential problems and deal with them beforehand etc.

Also, thanks to you too. Will add these bits to my linux notes - never know when they might come handy.

And last but not least thanks to Philip and others who are doing an awesome job with this distro.

Offline jonathon

• Core Team
after i donwload all the pakages, I got this error "manjaro-base-skel: /etc/skel/.dir_colors exists in filesystem Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded"
I tried to re-update by clearing the cache first, but no luck. Tried find someone with this problem, but i guess nobody had the problem like i have. sorry to disturb this thread but i hope you got solution on my problem

Delete the file mentioned in the error. Then try again.

Edit: spiraldancer, I split your post off to its own thread in Manjaro Discussion.
« Last Edit: 23. February 2016, 21:13:21 by jonathon »
--

Offline Zand

• Neuling
  • Desktop: xfce, OpenRC
  • GPU Card: internal intel
  • Kernel: linux44-x64
  • Skill: Intermediate
Hello Forum,

at first thank you for Manjaro.
This update was a disaster. After ca. 3 hours I've got my Computer to work again, with the information out of this forum, read with a second Notebook with Xubuntu on it  ;).

So my findings/question:

The current cryptsetup does not work for me, all kernels didn't decrypt my harddrive. I did the update on monday, at a time the error with was already known and the new cryptsetup was distributed.

I needed to update the kernel to linux44, all the other kernels do not work until now.

It is possible, that OpenRC is the reason, and we need a new cryptsetup-openrc, and until that is not the case, everybody with crypted disk, kernel < 4.4 and OpenRC will  shoot his/her computer off by updating?

Offline Loup

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • Desktop: xfce
  • GPU Card: nvidia GeForce GT 520
  • GPU driver: non-free driver
  • Kernel: 4.4 x64
It seems as if the latest systemd-update (3 packages) that I have received today, has fixed the problem mentioned here. Does anybody know what has been updated exactly?

I also have this bug on poweroff, with same kernels ( 41, 42). I have no updates available so far ... guess i'll wait a little longer  ::)