Poll

Did you experience any issue with this update?

No issues, everything went smoothly.
138 (73%)
Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself. (Please post your solution)
11 (5.8%)
Yes I am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)
40 (21.2%)

Total Members Voted: 189

Author Topic: [Update] 2016-02-21 - Kernels, KDE, Pamac, Firefox, Thunderbird, Lumina, Intel  (Read 22715 times)

Offline gre999

• Neuling
  • Skill: Intermediate
Sorry, you are right. Philm also apologized for it. He probably didn't realize the significance of the issue. :( We are all humans with limits.

Of course we are! I'm really thankful for getting know Manjaro, the best distribution (in my humble opinion). The team always does a great job!

But this was a little bit too much. Sorry for my words!

Offline eugen-b

• Support Team
  • Branch: testing
  • Desktop: LXDE, Fluxbox, JWM, LXQt, bspwm
  • GPU Card: Intel 82945G/GZ
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: 4.5, 4.6
Of course we are! I'm really thankful for getting know Manjaro, the best distribution (in my humble opinion). The team always does a great job!

But this was a little bit too much. Sorry for my words!
No one would blame you for seeking more stability after such a distressful experience.
MSI Wind Nettop, Intel Atom 230 1.6GHz (64bit), 2GB RAM
DEs: NET-minimal + (LXDE / Fluxbox / JWM); LXQt OpenRC
how to install on btrfs subvolumes
http://manjaro.github.io/donate/

Offline ninsa

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: Xfce
  • GPU Card: Intel HD4000
  • GPU driver: Intel
  • Kernel: linux44-x64
  • Skill: Novice
Smooth update without issues here. The no-mouse-cursor problem with Intel-graphics under Xfce persists, but switching off auto-login still works around the problem for me. After manual login, the mouse cursor  shows and everything is fine.

No font-problems here either, although I`m German. Lots of Umlauts (Ü,Ö,Ä) and Cantarell font, but no issues.

I have to say, I`m extremely impressed how the Manjaro-team and philm is handling the latest issues with this update. Very friendly, fast and helpful, even offering IRC-channel support for newbies, WOW! Truly impressive. Thank you for this amazing distribution and all the work and devotion you put into this for us, for free.

Cheers,
ninsa

Offline LA-MJ

• Neuling
Everything went great for me.  I made the jump to all SSD for OS drives with built in device enabled encryption, specifically to avoid the performance hit and to avoid any issues created by LUKS.  I tend to use truecrypt containers for data I want to safeguard, but outside of my home folder which is on the primary OS drive I only really have to use this for protecting backup images.
Trust 'automatic' hardware encryption only as far as you can spit: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10/20/western_digital_bad_hard_drive_encryption/

Go and read the info at this link.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Pacnew_and_Pacsave

I use the command line. yaourt -C will show you where you have these files and help you to deal with them. You will need to read on how to use dif or vim dif though. You need to deal with these files to keep your system clean

Personally I use pacdiff with mergetool=kdiff3
« Last Edit: 22. February 2016, 14:12:51 by LA-MJ »

Offline notargets

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • Desktop: Plasma 5
  • GPU Card: AMD Radeon HD 6670
  • Kernel: linux4.4-x64
After this last upgrade, the only issue I have is that when trying to reboot/shutdown, the system hangs with an error message (see attachment) for a while (maybe 30 seconds, I'm not exactly sure).

This happens with the 4.4.2 kernel, but not with 4.1.18.

Offline heyne001

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
Ah, things didn't go as smoothly as I though and wrote before. Chroote'd into my system and updated the cryptsetup package, but can't seem to install a newer kernel. This is what happens:

Code: [Select]
[root@manjaro /]# pacman -S linux44
warning: linux44-4.4.2-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) linux44-4.4.2-1

Total Installed Size:  77.81 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:       0.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                                   [###################################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                                 [###################################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                                      [###################################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                                [###################################] 100%
:: Processing package changes...
(1/1) reinstalling linux44                                       [###################################] 100%
>>> Updating module dependencies. Please wait ...
>>> Generating initial ramdisk, using mkinitcpio.  Please wait...
==> ERROR: /dev must be mounted!
/usr/bin/grub-probe: error: failed to get canonical path of `/dev/mapper/root'.
error: command failed to execute correctly

When I CTRL+D out of it and run the lsblk command, i get this:

NAME     MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE  MOUNTPOINT
fd0        2:0    1     4K  0 disk 
sda        8:0    0 119.2G  0 disk 
├─sda1     8:1    0   255M  0 part  /mnt/boot
├─sda2     8:2    0 115.1G  0 part 
│ └─root 254:0    0 115.1G  0 crypt /mnt
└─sda5     8:5    0   3.9G  0 part  [SWAP]
sr0       11:0    1   1.7G  0 rom   /bootmnt
loop0      7:0    0  33.7M  1 loop 
loop1      7:1    0 169.7M  1 loop 
loop2      7:2    0     1G  1 loop 
loop3      7:3    0 346.7M  1 loop 

Root is mounted. Also is this even a right method to even install a newer kernel? Stupid question, but I really am not sure. I have always avoided doing anything with kernels.

Even if it says the kernel is installed already, I am unable to boot into it.

Offline torvic9

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Hello world!
Many thanks for the extremely quick and efficient handling of the cryptsetup issue!
I'll add a few more €€€ to my donation.
i3: i7-5820K | 32 GB | GeForce GTX 960, nvidia | linux44-custom
KDE: i7-920 | 12 GB | GeForce GTS 450, nouveau | linux44
Gnome: Thinkpad X200s | linux41

Offline jonathon

• Core Team
  • Technologist - Teacher - Tea drinker
  • Branch: Unstable
  • Desktop: MATE 1.14
  • GPU Card: Nvidia GTX680M
  • GPU driver: Bumblebee nvidia+intel
  • Kernel: 4.6.0-*-MANJARO x86_64
  • Skill: Advanced
After this last upgrade, the only issue I have is that when trying to reboot/shutdown, the system hangs with an error message (see attachment) for a while (maybe 30 seconds, I'm not exactly sure).

This happens with the 4.4.2 kernel, but not with 4.1.18.

That set of messages normally points towards a drive failure - check your cables and back up any important data. It's a bit weird why it should show up with one kernel and not another, though... perhaps different buffering or flushing methods?
--
MSI GT70: Core i7-3630QM, 16GB, Nvidia GTX680M, Intel 2230, Manjaro-MATE-amd64-EFI
Lenovo X230: Core i5-3320M, 4GB, Intel HD4000, Intel 6205, Manjaro-MATE-amd64
Dell Studio 1749: Core i5 540, 8GB, ATi HD5650, Intel WLAN, Manjaro-Xfce-amd64
Let's go in the garden; you'll find something waiting.

Offline heyne001

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
Okay, VICTORY (at least so far)

Managed to install the latest kernel (45 rc) and it's working. Also tried 44, but couldn't log in - first there was a black screen and then a white screen saying that something went wrong (rly).

For all still struggling, maybe the following helps. This is what I did once in the live system and open terminal:

# su
# cryptsetup open --type luks /dev/sda2 root
# mount -t ext4 /dev/mapper/root /mnt
These are optional - if you want to install a new kernel:
# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot
# mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
# mount --bind /dev/pts /mnt/dev/pts
# mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
# mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys

# chroot /mnt /bin/bash
Install the updated cryptsetup package and/or linux45
pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/cryptsetup-1.7.0-1.1-$(uname -m).pkg.tar.xz
pacman -S linux45

Offline Ham Radio

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
    • EZ Computer Solutions
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: KDE 5
  • GPU Card: nVidia GeForce 620
  • GPU driver: Non-Free
  • Kernel: Linux 4.1-x64
Smooth update here, huge, but smooth. I'm running 4.4 with 4.1 as a backup, no encryption. Thanks!

Offline fdc1b

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • I'm less new than yesterday...
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: OpenRC/Plasma 5
  • GPU Card: ATi X1400 mobile
  • GPU driver: xf86 ati
  • Kernel: Usually the last stable
For me all smooth without problems, but I understand very well the users having their system locked.

Offline eugen-b

• Support Team
  • Branch: testing
  • Desktop: LXDE, Fluxbox, JWM, LXQt, bspwm
  • GPU Card: Intel 82945G/GZ
  • Kernel: 4.5, 4.6
Okay, VICTORY (at least so far)

Managed to install the latest kernel (45 rc) and it's working. Also tried 44, but couldn't log in - first there was a black screen and then a white screen saying that something went wrong (rly).

For all still struggling, maybe the following helps. This is what I did once in the live system and open terminal:

# su
# cryptsetup open --type luks /dev/sda2 root
# mount -t ext4 /dev/mapper/root /mnt
These are optional - if you want to install a new kernel:
# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot
# mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
# mount --bind /dev/pts /mnt/dev/pts
# mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
# mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys

# chroot /mnt /bin/bash
Install the updated cryptsetup package and/or linux45
pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/cryptsetup-1.7.0-1.1-$(uname -m).pkg.tar.xz
pacman -S linux45

Kudos! Three absolutely marvelous post! Thank you, heyne001!

Maybe just one addition:
# cp /etc/resolv.conf etc/resolv.confbefore running chroot command.
« Last Edit: 22. February 2016, 21:05:24 by eugen-b »
MSI Wind Nettop, Intel Atom 230 1.6GHz (64bit), 2GB RAM
DEs: NET-minimal + (LXDE / Fluxbox / JWM); LXQt OpenRC
how to install on btrfs subvolumes
http://manjaro.github.io/donate/

Offline philm

• Core Team
    • Manjaro Linux
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • GPU Card: Geforce GTX 650
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Kernel: Maintainer - so all ;)
  • Skill: Guru
Hey, sorry that I'm a little sarcastic with the cryptsetup issue. People who faced it want to blame someone. Sure, your world breaks down as you think I'll never manage to get back to my data as I had encrypted it. Sure, you had your choices to do so. Maybe we made it to easy on the other hand to do so.

Anyway, if you encrypt something you should at least be able to decrypt it on your own. If you're not able to do that, then don't encrypt your stuff. I'm from the IT business. So I deal a lot with customers and people not able to manage their systems. You're stressed and pissed at the same time.

Everybody struggles. At most the guys over at Archlinux. There it slipped also. Even there was a critical bug open. If you read it thru you might find the same sarcastic person who guided them thru the mess.

People don't realize that we do this for fun and can stop whenever we want to. We do Manjaro for our own. We open it up for you guys to share. Take or leave it. No warranties at all. You have to take care of your data yourself. We never pointed you to update your system. Bad stuff can always happen.

Some crews need days to figure stuff out, other do it in minutes if they have the right connections. You can search our forum and you may find some hints about some 3.19er kernel having this issue. Also in unstable branch some dude posted about it even before it was known to others.

Upstream on the other hand knew about it since December last year. A bad backport happend. So what. We are humans. After having found a solution I contacted somebody with the problem and some little brain and the will to try stuff out. You can't loose your data if you know a little about IT. At least you shouldn't format stuff for some reason. After confirmation it had worked I rolled the fix out to all branches.

Now that it was fixed on some servers some people still got updates from the outdated mirrors. Again, you have to check your own which mirror you want to use. Maybe the provider has some hardware issue or syncs not so often than other mirrors. To avoid that, we even pointed to a mirror having the fixed package already. Then users complained about the signature file of pacman. So we updated  our guide accordingly.

So all in all I wasted a whole day to fix this issue I even didn't produce. I just followed upstream. Good, I might have not have to update our stable branch, but if everybody is pushing for the stupid GCC issue which enables some backdoor to your PC I pushed it and again the cryptsetup slipped for 2 hours thru, which is really a fast fix in IT. Again. So what. Blame the universe or anything you now think of.

Simply don't encrypt stuff if you don't know how to access it again if something like this exact situation occurs. You simply have to be mind open and willing to learn. Guys, remember: this issue was harmless!

Offline DarkBit

• Neuling
  • Exploring Manjaro GNU/Linux
  • Desktop: Xfce
  • GPU Card: nVidia GeForce GT 630M
The only issue I had with this update is the missing mouse pointer. Sometimes, in the login screen the mouse pointer would not appear.

After reading other users' concerns with a rolling release made me realize an update strategy or something like that.
Since each latest release is or cannot be guaranteed to be bug free for all users and for all configuration combinations, is it possible that one could opt to upgrade only to a pre-defined release set? Let me clarify this. If the latest release is, for example, the 9th update and my current system is at 7th update release, would it be possible to only update to the 8th release? This would allow users to upgrade slowly who are not into the bleeding edge of a rolling release update.

I hope there is an option to do this cause I don't want to go into the trouble as some have been into although, I never experienced an update that would break my system since I first installed Manjaro.

Thanks a lot to the Manjaro Team and community this has been a very pleasant move to Linux for me so far.
« Last Edit: 22. February 2016, 19:46:24 by DarkBit »

Offline philm

• Core Team
    • Manjaro Linux
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • GPU Card: Geforce GTX 650
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Kernel: Maintainer - so all ;)
  • Skill: Guru
And before installing Manjaro, agree to our disclaimer :P

No warranties, either express or implied, are hereby given for anything provided by Manjaro ("Software").
All software is supplied without any accompanying guarantee, whether expressly mentioned, implied or tacitly assumed.
This information does not include any guarantees regarding quality, does not describe any fair marketable quality, and does not make any claims as to quality quarantees or quarantees regarding the suitability for a special purpose.

The user assumes all responsibility for damages resulting from the use of the software, including, but not limited to, frustration, disgust, system abends, disk head-crashes, general malfeasance, floods, fires, shark attack, locust infestation, cyclones, hurricanes, tsunamis, local electromagnetic disruptions, hydraulic brake system failure, invasion, hashing collisions, normal wear and tear of friction surfaces, cosmic radiation, inadvertent destruction of sensitive electronic components, windstorms, the riders of nazgul, infuriated chickens, premature activation of a distant early warning system, peasant uprisings, halitosis, artillery bombardment, explosions, cave-ins, borg-assimilation and/or frogs falling from the sky.