Poll

Did you experience any issue with this update?

No issues, everything went smoothly.
138 (73%)
Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself. (Please post your solution)
11 (5.8%)
Yes I am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)
40 (21.2%)

Total Members Voted: 189

Author Topic: [Update] 2016-02-21 - Kernels, KDE, Pamac, Firefox, Thunderbird, Lumina, Intel  (Read 22708 times)

Offline Fatboy

• Sr. Mitglied
  • "Spiral out. Keep going..."
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: Xfce, KDE plasma 5
  • GPU Card: nVidia GeForce 210
  • GPU driver: 340.xx
  • Kernel: Manjaro Kernel 4.4 LTS
  • Skill: Intermediate
Everything seems fine. The x86-video-intel driver bug (disappearing mouse cursor XFCE) has vanished :D
Thank You so much! You guys are an amazing team!
"I'm reaching for the random or whatever will bewilder me. Whatever will bewilder me."

Offline miku

• Jr. Mitglied
  • Desktop: Plasma 5
  • GPU Card: ATi 5750
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: latest
The update was OK.
I have only one issue: I have energy setup: when I do nothing, then the monitor goes off after X minutes.
My desktop is not responding after waking up the monitor. It is only for kernel 4.4 or 4.5, but 4.3 works.
So it is a kernel bug? How to raise it?

Offline ruziel

• Held Mitglied
  • Those who know, laugh.
    • Coffee & Manjaro
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: Xfce
  • Kernel: 4.4 / 4.9
  • Skill: Novice
100%. Perfect! Big thanks to everyone who contributed to this latest update - we appreciate it.

More power to you all.

Ruziel  ;)
"There is no complete theory of anything." (Robert Anton Wilson)

Offline Fatboy

• Sr. Mitglied
  • "Spiral out. Keep going..."
  • Desktop: Xfce, KDE plasma 5
  • GPU Card: nVidia GeForce 210
  • GPU driver: 340.xx
  • Kernel: Manjaro Kernel 4.4 LTS
The disappearing mouse cursor bug is back! Downgraded to the x86-video-intel...544 driver
"I'm reaching for the random or whatever will bewilder me. Whatever will bewilder me."

Offline kainonergon

• Neuling
  • Branch: testing
  • Desktop: i3, Xfce
  • GPU Card: Intel® HD Graphics 4400
  • Kernel: linux48-x64
As for me, no problems with this update. Thanks.

Offline Cirill

• Neuling
  • OpenRC user
    • Agilia Linux official website
  • Desktop: XFce, KDE, LXQt
  • GPU Card: Intel GMA
  • Kernel: linux42-x86
  • Skill: Advanced
I had a conflict with oxygen icons. It was /usr/share/icons/oxygen/16x16/mimetypes/fonts-package.png and 5 other fonts-package.png files originally owned by kdebase-workspace 4.11.22-4 and appeared in some other package from this update. I did not care much about the files so I used --force option. Also the broken espeak signature problem is back again so i used --ignore espeak to deal with that. Otherwise everything went fine.
« Last Edit: 22. February 2016, 12:21:02 by Cirill »

Offline viking60

• Sr. Mitglied
    • bjoernvold.com
  • Desktop: openbox
  • GPU Card: NVIDIA GT200b [GeForce GTX 275]
  • GPU driver: nonfree
  • Kernel: linux4.1-x86_64
Thanks to Phil and the other gurus. Smooth update.

Regarding those poor security and privacy minded souls for getting thrown out of your encrypted partitions:

1 You are sensible people who take privacy and security that serious!
2 The kernel should not fubar your encryption (it should be one of those things that "just work" because people need  to get comfortable with encryption IMHO).
3. Phil and other members of the team have provided the solution's - so it is fixable.

Then the human factor strikes.
I used to regard "chroot" as rocket science - so when people helpfully told me to chroot into the system with a live CD - I blacked out  :-[
That was guru stuff beyond my simple aspirations of running an alternative to Windows etc etc.

Complicated words like mount did not make it better either.

I ran Linux for years and managed to avoid that stuff.

Then I decided to grab the bull by the horns and make myself a live CD and finally learn how to rescue systems.

In general the rule is to use the Live CD from the system you are using (but I wanted one to rescue all  ;D )
I then made it boot on a VM (Virtualbox) and tested it out - and I can assure you it works just like phil and other team members (and the wiki) have described.

I just chrooted into my Manjaro OpenRC with the SystemrescueCD   and updated Manjaro with pacman.

It is easy :)

I just used the terminal in SystemrescueCD and did a:
Code: [Select]
fdisk -l
This showed me 4 partitions including swap (we don't need to mount swap).
They looked like this:
/dev/sda1
/dev/sda2
/dev/sda3
/dev/sda4
To just get exact information about the partitions I did a:
fsarchiver probe simple(It is all there in the Arch wiki)/ dev/sda2 was swap; so I will forget about that one.

Then I made mount directories for all of them (except swap):
mkdir /mnt/sda1
mkdir /mnt/sda3
mkdir /mnt/sda4
Then I did a:
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/sda2
mount /dev/sda4 /mnt/sda4
Time to enter the Manjaro system
cd /mnt/sda1And here I did a:
mount proc proc proc/It is in the Arch wiki so monkey see and monkey do ;)
The rest of the arch wiki is boring so I just moved on to the dreaded chroot part:
chroot /mnt/sda3 /bin bash(How I know that /dev/sda3 is the one to chroot into? It is the only place where the command will work  ;D as in; it cannot find bash in the other ones)
And there I simply ran a
pacman -SyuHere you can install kernel 4.4 to avoid the encryption problem or do what the gurus have recommended.
To jump out of the (chrooted) Manjaro environment I just do a CTRL +D.

This is all explained better by others and in the Arch wiki - but in case you share some of my quirky logics maybe this can help too. :D

...and as a bonus I learned how to rescue Windows systems too...
« Last Edit: 22. February 2016, 12:52:02 by viking60 »

Offline mgundogdu

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • Learn and share and be nice with that!
  • Branch: Unstable
  • GPU Card: AMD/ATI RV710/M92
  • GPU driver: ATİ
  • Kernel: linux44-x64
  • Skill: Novice
I handled fonts issue change my system fonts to Arial. But be careful about fonts just use wellknown fonts. Because I get xfwm4 crash issues some fonts.
Open knowledge is what open data becomes when it’s useful, usable and used.
https://okfn.org/opendata/

Offline eugen-b

• Support Team
  • Desktop: LXDE, Fluxbox, JWM, LXQt, bspwm
  • GPU Card: Intel 82945G/GZ
  • Kernel: 4.5, 4.6
@viking60, chroot is not much of a problem when you did it once, but to chroot an encrypted root partition is more difficult. Different encryption tools add to the difficulty, the user needs to know his setup. Therefore if you are not comfortable with it, don't encrypt your root partition, but only your home partition. Nothing speaks against the second, much speaks in favour of it.
« Last Edit: 22. February 2016, 13:04:55 by eugen-b »
MSI Wind Nettop, Intel Atom 230 1.6GHz (64bit), 2GB RAM
DEs: NET-minimal + (LXDE / Fluxbox / JWM); LXQt OpenRC
how to install on btrfs subvolumes
http://manjaro.github.io/donate/

Offline gre999

• Neuling
Hi,

I'm trying to get it fixed for around 5 hours now. Chroot is not working for me. I'm giving up.

I'm extremely disappointed. You knew about those issues before releasing the update. This is unprofessional, I'm really sorry to say that.

I've got Manjaro since the end of 2011, but it's time to go now. Your advice: "Don't encrypt your HDDs" is just a bad joke. 

Thanks for all the good work, but that mistake is too big. Maybe later one time, but for now, I have to say goodbye to Manjaro.

Warning for users with encrypted root-partitions

All users using luks-encryption on their root-partition should not update to these kernels: 3.10.97, 3.14.61, 3.18.27, 4.1.18, 4.3.6, 4.4.2.
Earlier posted kernels affected by this: 3.13.11.34, 3.19.8.34, 4.2.8.3, 4.5-rc1
Kernels not affected by this: 3.12.54, 4.3.6, 4.4.2, 4.5-rc4

You will face followed error message:
Check that kernel supports aes-xts-plain64 cipher (check syslog for more info)
More info about this here, here and here. Also read this.

How-to fix
  • You need to boot with a working live-cd
  • unlock your encrypted root partition
  • mount your root partition
  • chroot into your root partition
  • update your system to get the fixed cryptsetup package
  • run cryptsetup close root (as described in the second step)
  • reboot without live-cd
sudo pacman -U http://repo.manjaro.org.uk/pool/overlay/cryptsetup-1.7.0-1.1-$(uname -m).pkg.tar.xz
If pacman complains about signatures try with:
sudo pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/cryptsetup-1.7.0-1.1-$(uname -m).pkg.tar.xz

Offline SoftLibre

• Neuling
  • GPU Card: AMD HD2400 Mobile
  • Kernel: linux45-x64
I have the following issues. What's the fix for this issue? Failed to commit transaction. conflicting files:
oxygen-icons: /usr/share/icons/oxygen/128x128/mimetypes/fonts-package.png already exists in filesystem
oxygen-icons: /usr/share/icons/oxygen/16x16/mimetypes/fonts-package.png already exists in filesystem
oxygen-icons: /usr/share/icons/oxygen/22x22/mimetypes/fonts-package.png already exists in filesystem
oxygen-icons: /usr/share/icons/oxygen/32x32/mimetypes/fonts-package.png already exists in filesystem
oxygen-icons: /usr/share/icons/oxygen/48x48/mimetypes/fonts-package.png already exists in filesystem
oxygen-icons: /usr/share/icons/oxygen/64x64/mimetypes/fonts-package.png already exists in filesystem
@Crippled:
pacman -Qo /usr/share/icons/oxygen/128x128/mimetypes/fonts-package.png
I had a conflict with oxygen icons. It was /usr/share/icons/oxygen/16x16/mimetypes/fonts-package.png and 5 other fonts-package.png files originally owned by kdebase-workspace 4.11.22-4 and appeared in some other package from this update. I did not care much about the files so I used --force option. Also the broken espeak signature problem is back again so i used --ignore espeak to deal with that. Otherwise everything went fine.

:: ¿Continuar con la instalación? [S/n]
(153/153) comprobando las claves del depósito      [########################################################] 100%
(153/153) verificando la integridad de los paquetes [########################################################] 100%
(153/153) cargando los archivos de los paquetes    [########################################################] 100%
(153/153) comprobando conflictos entre archivos    [########################################################] 100%
error: no se pudo realizar la operación (archivos en conflicto)
oxygen-icons: /usr/share/icons/oxygen/128x128/mimetypes/fonts-package.png existe en el sistema de archivos
oxygen-icons: /usr/share/icons/oxygen/16x16/mimetypes/fonts-package.png existe en el sistema de archivos
oxygen-icons: /usr/share/icons/oxygen/22x22/mimetypes/fonts-package.png existe en el sistema de archivos
oxygen-icons: /usr/share/icons/oxygen/32x32/mimetypes/fonts-package.png existe en el sistema de archivos
oxygen-icons: /usr/share/icons/oxygen/48x48/mimetypes/fonts-package.png existe en el sistema de archivos
oxygen-icons: /usr/share/icons/oxygen/64x64/mimetypes/fonts-package.png existe en el sistema de archivos
Ocurrieron errores, por lo que no se actualizaron los paquetes
[USER@arch_pc ~]$ pacman -Qo /usr/share/icons/oxygen/128x128/mimetypes/fonts-package.png
/usr/share/icons/oxygen/128x128/mimetypes/fonts-package.png está contenido en kdebase-workspace 4.11.22-3
[USER@arch_pc ~]$ sudo pacman -R kdebase-workspace

Solved. Thanks for all  ;)

Offline eugen-b

• Support Team
You knew about those issues before releasing the update.
That's not the case.

Offline viking60

• Sr. Mitglied
    • bjoernvold.com
  • Desktop: openbox
  • GPU Card: NVIDIA GT200b [GeForce GTX 275]
  • GPU driver: nonfree
  • Kernel: linux4.1-x86_64
@viking60, chroot is not much of a problem when you did it once, but to chroot an encrypted root partition is more difficult. Different encryption tools add to the difficulty, the user needs to know his setup. Therefore if you are not comfortable with it, don't encrypt your root partition, but only your home partition. Nothing speaks against the second, much speaks in favour of it.
Makes sense. The users need to know their setup (chroot into Centos/Fedora is not that straight forward).

I will now chroot into a luks encrypted Manjaro of course....

@gre999 If I get confused on a higher level I will share my findings....

This looks pretty straight forward though:
chroot into your existing Manjaro installation with example a working live-cd.
use pacman to update cryptsetup or install a kernel >= linux43
« Last Edit: 22. February 2016, 13:38:00 by viking60 »

Offline eugen-b

• Support Team

https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=31031.0

Sorry, you are right. Philm also apologized for it. He probably didn't realize the significance of the issue. :( We are all humans with limits.
I've updated the fix-tutorial to the latest information. Sorry that I had no time to dig deeper into it earlier. User updating now should have no issues anymore with it.