Poll

Did you experience any issue with this update?

No issues, everything went smoothly.
138 (73%)
Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself. (Please post your solution)
11 (5.8%)
Yes I am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)
40 (21.2%)

Total Members Voted: 189

Author Topic: [Update] 2016-02-21 - Kernels, KDE, Pamac, Firefox, Thunderbird, Lumina, Intel  (Read 23585 times)

Offline Maboroshy

• Neuling
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: KDE
  • GPU Card: Nvidia Quadro 880m
  • GPU driver: Nvidia blob
  • Kernel: linux41-x64
  • Skill: Novice
I'm having an issue with the update.
There is a new version of "borg" package - 0.30.1-1. It's the back up app I use. This version has bug reported at arch. It is already resolved by new version - 0.30.1-2. There was some error in a package stuff, not the app.

Looks like no back ups till next manjaro update. ;D I'll downgrade this package for now.

Offline apo

• Neuling
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: KDE/plasma
  • GPU Card: nVidia GTX 660
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Kernel: 4.4
Hi,

I got an issue with this update, that I was able to fix, and that was not one already mentioned.

I'm using KDE, 4.4 kernel, installed Manjaro (stable) from a net install, NOT using encryption. The update concerned only few packages, maybe 10.

1st question : after rebooting, the system booted correctly, but was unable to launch sddm and was flickering badly, even when I changed tty to log in, I saw flickers of the error messages from tty1. dmesg showed me that sddm had segfaulted, but I didn't recall having updated it... I fixed that, after coming here to see if anyone had the problem, by downgrading. I mean I did a 'pacman -Syy' the a 'pacman -Suu', rebooted and all went fine.

2nd question : I'm not using encryption (at least I didn't recall having set it up), but cryptsetup (the nemesis of some users here) was one of the packages updated then downgraded. Do I need that if I don't encrypt my disks ? Could it be responsible for the issue anyway ?

3rd and last question (probably stupid) : I saw Philm said cryptsetup-1.7.0-1.1 or 1.7.0-2 are the fixes, but I have 1.7.0-1 installed, and no update available. Did I fucked something ? or maybe missed something in the discussion ?

Otherwise, everything is fine, and thanks for the efforts

Apo

Offline Loki

• Neuling
Okay, VICTORY (at least so far)

Managed to install the latest kernel (45 rc) and it's working. Also tried 44, but couldn't log in - first there was a black screen and then a white screen saying that something went wrong (rly).

For all still struggling, maybe the following helps. This is what I did once in the live system and open terminal:

Code: [Select]
# su
# cryptsetup open --type luks /dev/sda2 root
# mount -t ext4 /dev/mapper/root /mnt
These are optional - if you want to install a new kernel:
# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot
# mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
# mount --bind /dev/pts /mnt/dev/pts
# mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
# mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys

# chroot /mnt /bin/bash
Install the updated cryptsetup package and/or linux45
pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/cryptsetup-1.7.0-1.1-$(uname -m).pkg.tar.xz
pacman -S linux45

This one really gave this cli handicapped ole man a start. I wish to show my appreciation to all who tried to
help those in my boat. I especially want to take this time to thank "the team" for all the hard work on Manjaro.
A little snafu once in a while is good to make us not take for granted the good works from those who make
it all possible. Now I think I'll put some medicine on my sore fingers(from typing) and take a nap.
Thanks again

Offline cb474

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
Is that the package you have installed? You could also try updating (again) to see if 1.7.0-2 is available.
Yes, I said in my original post, to which you responded, that I have 1.7.0-1.1 installed.

To repeat what I already said to begin with: I'm using kernel 4.4. I did the update while running on kernel 4.4. I got the latest version of that kernel (4.4.2-1) and at the same time my system updated to cryptsetup 1.7.0-1.1. When I boot using kernel 4.4 my system is fine. But if I boot with kernel 4.1 (which I keep as a backup option on my system, since it's an LTS kernel) I get the error "Check that kernel supports aes-xts-plain64 cipher (check syslog for more info)."

I thought 1.7.0-1.1 was supposed to fix the issue and that I should be able to boot with kernel 4.1. Philm's instructions in the second post of this thread only say that you need 1.7.0-1.1 to fix the issue. Is that wrong? Is there something else I need to do? Is there no way to get kernel 4.1 to work and you also have to have a newer kernel? The instructions don't say that.

1.7.0-2 is not available yet on my system, it must be in testing or unstable.

[Edit: Just for the heck of it, I pulled 1.7.0-2 from the unstable repo. Same result. I can boot with kernel 4.4, but not 4.1.]

[Edit 2: Okay, uninstalling and reinstalling 4.1 fixed the problem. I don't know why, since in the update process cryptsetup was upgraded first, before the kernel, so it seems like anything that 4.1 had to build against from the new cryptsetup should have already been there. But this is really beyond my knowledge of Linux to explain.]
« Last Edit: 24. February 2016, 01:54:11 by cb474 »

Offline omnimoon

• Neuling
  • Former distrohopper
  • Desktop: KDE / Xfce
  • GPU Card: Nvidia GeForce 940M / ATI Radeon HD 6310
  • Kernel: linux44-x64 / linux43-x64
An utterly important lesson I've learned today: to always read the current update announcement before hitting pacman's "Yes" :P

Offline jonathon

• Core Team
  • Technologist - Teacher - Tea drinker
  • Branch: Unstable
  • Desktop: MATE 1.14
  • GPU Card: Nvidia GTX680M
  • GPU driver: Bumblebee nvidia+intel
  • Kernel: 4.6.0-*-MANJARO x86_64
  • Skill: Advanced
Yes, I said in my original post, to which you responded, that I have 1.7.0-1.1 installed.

Actually, you said:

I did the upgrade today, so the latest version of cryptsetup that fixes the encryption bug was already in the stable repo. So I have cryptsetup 1.7.0-1.1 on my system.

You didn't specifically say you had checked the package version, and I interpreted what you said as that you assumed the package version was current. You might think verifying these things is trite, but after you do any sort of support for any length of time you learn that making assumptions about what users mean is a dangerous thing. Making sure you get unambiguous verification avoids hella problems.

Heard the anecdote about tech support asking whether the non-functioning device is actually plugged in and turned on? Experienced users will say "hang on, I'll double check". Inexperienced users will say "of course it is! That would be stupid!" And how many times is the thing not plugged in and turned on? More than you'd think.

ANYHOW...

Not sure why you had to reinstall the kernel - it doesn't appear anyone else has had to do that, unless they're not reporting it (or just installed a newer kernel to get back up-and-running).
--
MSI GT70: Core i7-3630QM, 16GB, Nvidia GTX680M, Intel 2230, Manjaro-MATE-amd64-EFI
Lenovo X230: Core i5-3320M, 4GB, Intel HD4000, Intel 6205, Manjaro-MATE-amd64
Dell Studio 1749: Core i5 540, 8GB, ATi HD5650, Intel WLAN, Manjaro-Xfce-amd64
Let's go in the garden; you'll find something waiting.

Offline LA-MJ

• Neuling
  • Skill: Intermediate
So... does anyone have any idea what to do about the mouse jack? Logitech site is a joke and I've found nothing on LKML

Offline AJSlye

• Maintainer
  • Netrunner Rolling Edition moderator / maintainer
  • Branch: Stable / Testing / Unstable
  • Desktop: Netrunner Rolling
  • GPU Card: Intel
  • GPU driver: Intel
  • Kernel: 4.4.1-1-MANJARO x86_64 (64 bit)
  • Skill: Guru
So... does anyone have any idea what to do about the mouse jack? Logitech site is a joke and I've found nothing on LKML

Go here and look for firmware updates to your devices:
http://support.logitech.com/en_us/downloads

Offline LA-MJ

• Neuling
Like I said, the site is a joke and I don't see anything for linux. The main problem is forced-pairing and that is a unifying receiver issue not specific to any product. After reading their forums it seems one needs a Winblows box to install the unifying software and firmware.exe to run the update from the former. Shame, shame, shame, ding, ding, ding.

Offline jinformatique

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Kernel: x64
Hi, I'm still stuck at boot with my encrypted disk. The cli command from heyne001 did not help me much. Here is what I've got.
I booted a live usb stick with manjaro KDE 15.12. I opened konsole and typed su and unlocked my hard drive.
I am not that good with chroot. I never did that before.

[manjaro manjaro]# lsblk -f
NAME                        FSTYPE      LABEL       UUID                                   MOUNTPOINT
sda                                                                                       
├─sda1                      ext2        ManjaroBoot 403bcce7-a3d3-4103-a6cf-5acf3ded9cb6   /run/media/manjaro/ManjaroBoot
└─sda2                      crypto_LUKS             37f05b17-edfc-4d5d-a9c8-3f729d5d9043   
  └─root                    LVM2_member             DFLKL1-KC4r-qZU2-JYnX-gZrp-6K8o-FtHCF2
    ├─ManjaroVG-ManjaroRoot ext4        ManjaroRoot bc61870e-ec40-4ecc-80a4-1e52832881e0   /run/media/manjaro/ManjaroRoot
    ├─ManjaroVG-ManjaroSwap ext4                    599cb3d7-de91-4995-8acd-2573f4a5b4e0   
    └─ManjaroVG-ManjaroHome ext4        ManjaroHome 384f1407-a332-4545-803d-c71d1eb19598   /run/media/manjaro/ManjaroHome
sdb                         iso9660     MJRO1512    2015-12-22-16-57-08-00                 
├─sdb1                      iso9660     MJRO1512    2015-12-22-16-57-08-00                 /bootmnt
└─sdb2                      vfat        MISO_EFI    B499-C7EC                             
loop0                       squashfs                                                       
loop1                       squashfs                                                       
loop2                       squashfs                                                       
loop3                       squashfs                                                       
[manjaro manjaro]# ls -ll /dev/mapper/
total 0
crw------- 1 root root 10, 236 Feb 24 13:33 control
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       7 Feb 24 13:34 ManjaroVG-ManjaroHome -> ../dm-3
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       7 Feb 24 13:34 ManjaroVG-ManjaroRoot -> ../dm-1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       7 Feb 24 13:34 ManjaroVG-ManjaroSwap -> ../dm-2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       7 Feb 24 13:34 root -> ../dm-0
[manjaro manjaro]# mount -t ext4 /dev/mapper/root /mnt
mount: /dev/mapper/root is already mounted or /mnt busy
[manjaro manjaro]# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot
mount: mount point /mnt/boot does not exist
[manjaro manjaro]# cd /mnt
[manjaro mnt]# ls -lart
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root   3 Sep 30 20:43 .
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 160 Feb 24 13:13 ..

So how could I mount root and boot properly to chroot and install the new kernet?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Offline fredhoud

• Sr. Mitglied
  • King of Liunx!
  • Desktop: KDE Plasma Version 5.6.3
  • GPU Card: Intel Quad Core i7-4790K - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745
  • Kernel: 4.4.9-1 Manjaro
Sadly, I had the similar situation, and despite all the help from everyone, had to reformat, and start all over again. A big lesson learned though. Wait a little before updating and READ the update reports which I didn't do!
Good luck.

Offline LA-MJ

• Neuling
Your root partition is 'ManjaroVG-ManjaroRoot' and seems to already be mounted on '/run/media/manjaro/ManjaroRoot'. Chroot into that

Offline jinformatique

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Kernel: x64
Thanks fredhoud, I tried yesterday during 2 hours but I had other things to do, so I though I am gona wait for Manjaro KDE 16.03 and do a fresh install. Next time I'll wait a week before doing an update. Sad I did not read the news this time before upgrading. Luckily it's only my laptop for home and not my PC at work. I am running Kubuntu 15.10 at work because I got a skylake CPU and the manjaro installation kernel doesn't boot up automatically. So that's an other reason why I wait for 16.03 at work.

Surprisingly many others did succeed with the chroot commands. I don't know what setup was different for them.

Offline LA-MJ

• Neuling
Thanks fredhoud, I tried yesterday during 2 hours but I had other things to do, so I though I am gona wait for Manjaro KDE 16.03 and do a fresh install. Next time I'll wait a week before doing an update. Sad I did not read the news this time before upgrading. Luckily it's only my laptop for home and not my PC at work. I am running Kubuntu 15.10 at work because I got a skylake CPU and the manjaro installation kernel doesn't boot up automatically. So that's an other reason why I wait for 16.03 at work.

Surprisingly many others did succeed with the chroot commands. I don't know what setup was different for them.

The problem is people do not educate themselves enough to use linux. Reading the output of your commands and familiarity with basic concepts help. Arch wiki is an excellent resource for more advanced topics. You can find information on LUKS and LVM there. Admittedly the information is a bit dry and requires perseverance. Just the nature of the beast. For now I recommend following my advice on the previous post instead of despairing.

Offline fredhoud

• Sr. Mitglied
  • King of Liunx!
  • Desktop: KDE Plasma Version 5.6.3
  • GPU Card: Intel Quad Core i7-4790K - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745
  • Kernel: 4.4.9-1 Manjaro
@jinformatique,

I did a fresh install on 4 of my computers with KDE 15.12, and updated the system (encrypted via installer), but to be on the safe side I installed kernel 4.2, and 4.5 as a backup, and they all working perfectly. No issues what so ever. I guess what I'm saying is that you don't have to wait for 16.03, due to the fact that it's a rolling version. This was a hard concept for me to understand as well when I got into Manjaro a little more than a year ago. One more big lesson I learned and that is DON'T EVER install "Grub-Customizer". It got me in big trouble!