Author Topic: What is bspwm?  (Read 2646 times)

Offline Chrysostomus

• Maintainer
  • Neckbeards are cool
    • Git
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: Gnome, bspwm
  • GPU Card: Intel HD4000
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: linux44-x64
  • Skill: Intermediate
What is bspwm?
« on: 20. February 2016, 07:03:09 »

Bspwm is a tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning. This means that it makes room for new windows by splitting space of a existing window into two parts. It is manual tiler (like i3, herbstluftwm or musca): there are no predefined window layouts, user has perfect control over where the windows are placed. However, unlike many other manual tilers, bspwm also produces sane layout with no user intervention. It balances the ease of automatic tiler with the control of manual tiler extremely well. It also balances well different inpit methods: windows can be sanely controlled with euther mouse and keyboard (similar to awesome wm). Bspwm is also known for its window gaps.

Bspwm follows unix philosophy in that it does only one thing and leaves all the rest to other tools, that user may freely choose. Therefore, unlike most other window managers, it does not provide keybindings, panels, tabs or titlebars. It is controlled though terminal commands, which are usually bound to keybindings with sxhkd or xbindkeys. This makes bspwm very light: it uses only about 0,5 mb ram. It also makes it supremely scriptable, like i3 and herbstluftwm. One can totally change the way bspwm behaves, and even make it imitate behaviour of other window managers, without needing to know advanced programming languages. Simple knowledge in shell scripting is sufficient, and there are many easy to read example scripts around internet to get you started. Scriptability also means that you can easily create context sensitive keybindings and even full GUIs for bspwm.

Bspwm is mostly emwh compliant. This means that unlike most tiling window managers, bspwm plays well with panels, docks and other utilities, and mostly knows what windows not to tile without needing to be told so. This compatibility with other tools is similar to, but not quite on par with, openbox. This means that you can build your desktop around bspwm choosing quite freely from other tools.

I use bspwm because of flexibility it provides. I can whichever tools I want - keyboard and mouse are both natural to use, and most software I want works without issues. It gives me precise control of how things happen without forcing me to excercise that control of I don't want to.
« Last Edit: 20. February 2016, 10:49:57 by Chrysostomus »

Offline oberon

• Core Team
  • I'm nice. Be new!
  • Desktop: i3, Deepin, Cinnamon
  • GPU Card: Intel ValleyView Gen7
  • GPU driver: Intel
  • Kernel: 4.1 / 4.4
Re: What is bspwm?
« Reply #1 on: 20. February 2016, 12:39:15 »

That's very funny! I have been wondering just two days ago if bspwm would have a logo - I was actually looking for it in all sorts of places and couldn't find anything ...
Did you just make that one? 8)
manjaro is addictive ::)
* manjaro-i3  * manjaro-cinnamon  * manjaro-deepin

Offline Chrysostomus

• Maintainer
  • Neckbeards are cool
    • Git
  • Desktop: Gnome, bspwm
  • GPU Card: Intel HD4000
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: linux44-x64
Re: What is bspwm?
« Reply #2 on: 20. February 2016, 14:17:11 »
No, it was linked by the author of bspwm in official bspwm thread in arch forums. It is relatively new creation, presumably his.