Author Topic: Manjaro tiling edition?  (Read 2300 times)

Offline Chrysostomus

• Maintainer
  • Neckbeards are cool
    • Git
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: Gnome, bspwm
  • GPU Card: Intel HD4000
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: linux44-x64
  • Skill: Intermediate
Re: Manjaro tiling edition?
« Reply #15 on: 11. February 2016, 02:43:06 »
JWM already has a full-blown spin. And enlightenment is too buggy and overwhelming in terms of configuration. To hell with them :P

Also, forcing i3's keybind may be annoying for bspwm users since they have slightly different tiling habits.
I say just focus on theming for the sake of brand. Throw in the three wm-s, leave all keybindings default. Add one package for each basic task like mpv, vim, midori, feh, dunst, lightdm and done.

Users gotta install, boot and get straight to business. They can rtfw and figure out the bling part later, or not bother at all.

I would also leave jwm out, because it is not tiling wm. I count it among *box style wms (pekwm, openbox, fluxbox etc). That could be another category for iso, but probably not good to combine with this one. Things that could be added later are wmfs2, herbstluftwm, dwm, monsterwm, euclid and so on.

Bspwm does not have default keybindings. There is an example config in its github page, but that is very limited and is not installed anywhere with bspwm. Bspwm-manjaro does have default keybinds, but they are something I cooked up myself, and are subject to developement.

But the consensus of the community seems to be that there should be no synchonization of keybinds.

Offline twodogsdave

• Jr. Mitglied
  • Desktop: i3
  • GPU Card: Radeon HD Graphics
« Reply #16 on: 12. February 2016, 23:37:56 »
Yeah, only "trouble" with theming should be that everything will look the same. Your dmenu will use same colors in all wms, gtk and icon themes will be the same, as will mouse theme. Which is actually a issue, cause manjaro awesome is very blue, while manjaro bspwm is very green... and i3 is different green.

The biggest issue would be the keybindings though. I would probably need to mostly conform to keybindings manjaro i3 uses (because i3 has largest userbase), but I really prefer some bindings from other wms (for example, super+x closes windows instead, super+space runs dmenu).

This would be easier to implement than you realize.

First, I would combine, or put all three wm's on an install.  For example, a fresh install of bspwm.  Add i3 and then awesome.

Have .xinitrc start bspwm when user logs in (this can be customized by user depending on what wm they want to start with).

A shell script will insure that the correct config file is used.

I would have three shell scripts, one for each color of dmenu (green, blue and another green).

Actually, you could also set icons, mouse cursor and etc.  I have not physically tested this part.

If you haven't already done so, you need to check out how LinuxBBQ did it with their version called Cream (76 different wm's on one install).

It rocks!!

Good idea.  I will help if you need it.

Offline simgin

• Held Mitglied
  • Branch: All.
  • Desktop: XFCE+Alpine Linux, Mate+Fedora, Ubuntu Server + Mate and NoX+LinuxBBQ
  • GPU Card: GeForce 8600M & GT 555M 2GB
« Reply #17 on: 16. February 2016, 01:45:06 »
^ I knew you were on The Grill  8)
See you arround there mate.

Offline Chrysostomus

• Maintainer
  • Neckbeards are cool
    • Git
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: Gnome, bspwm
  • GPU Card: Intel HD4000
  • Kernel: linux44-x64
« Reply #18 on: 16. February 2016, 01:54:24 »

A shell script will insure that the correct config file is used.

I would have three shell scripts, one for each color of dmenu (green, blue and another green).

Good idea.  I will help if you need it.

For i3 and awesome that works, since they only use dmenu_recency. However, bspwm uses ~10-20 dmenu scripts that source the same .dmenurc. But if I rewrite dmenu_recency to accept custom config file, then it would work.