Author Topic: How to remove Pulseaudio  (Read 3065 times)

Offline wordler

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • I can wire a plug
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: Fluxbox & Xfce
  • GPU Card: Nvidia GT720 1gb ddr5
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Kernel: linux4.4-x64
  • Skill: Novice
How to remove Pulseaudio
« on: 19. January 2016, 01:13:45 »
Hi there,
Nice release, I believe I'm gonna give a try very soon. Right now I'm using the new JWM version (very nice, still learnig a few things, because I'm coming from a Lubuntu).

But I would like to ask one thing: is there a simple way to disable pulseaudio?

Because my old notebook (a pretty crappy one) is very low powered, and save this little ram and cpu from pulseaudio would be a nice trick.

Hi

In your home folder navigate to .fluxbox (hidden folder). In there is a startup script. Comment out pulseaudio (or remove the pulseaudio entry, better to comment out). This will prevent pulseaudio from running at startup. Remember to save the file and exit. By looking at this script you can see what is being loaded when you login. If you wish to add things you can, remember to add an '&' after each entry and save. Fluxbox has very simple text config files, but little support. Play around, and have fun! If you are unsure, make backup files first, good luck  :)
« Last Edit: 19. January 2016, 11:30:52 by oberon »
Fear is the mind killer.

Offline oberon

• Core Team
  • I'm nice. Be new!
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: i3, Deepin, Cinnamon
  • GPU Card: Intel ValleyView Gen7
  • GPU driver: Intel
  • Kernel: 4.1 / 4.4
  • Skill: Intermediate
Re: How to remove Pulseaudio
« Reply #1 on: 19. January 2016, 11:37:23 »
You will have to de-activate both pulseaudio and pa-applet (the tray-app which will not work without pulse.
Instead of that you can use volumeicon. Just install the package and autostart it with
Code: [Select]
volumeicon & in the startup file. Like that you will be using Alsa, which doesn't need to be autostarted explicitly.
manjaro is addictive ::)
* manjaro-i3  * manjaro-cinnamon  * manjaro-deepin

Offline eugen-b

• Support Team
  • Branch: testing
  • Desktop: LXDE, Fluxbox, JWM, LXQt, bspwm
  • GPU Card: Intel 82945G/GZ
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: 4.5, 4.6
  • Skill: Intermediate
MSI Wind Nettop, Intel Atom 230 1.6GHz (64bit), 2GB RAM
DEs: NET-minimal + (LXDE / Fluxbox / JWM); LXQt OpenRC
how to install on btrfs subvolumes
http://manjaro.github.io/donate/

Offline wordler

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • I can wire a plug
« Reply #3 on: 19. January 2016, 11:51:54 »
You will have to de-activate both pulseaudio and pa-applet (the tray-app which will not work without pulse.
Instead of that you can use volumeicon. Just install the package and autostart it with
Code: [Select]
volumeicon & in the startup file. Like that you will be using Alsa, which doesn't need to be autostarted explicitly.

Good point! I'd forgotten I'd done that myself some time ago, doh!!
It's worth mentioning that by using alsa on it's own, only one application at a time can use the audio (the first one invoked), as alsa does not have the capability to mix the sound of multiple applications. For this you need pulseaudio or jack to sit on top of alsa or oss.
Fear is the mind killer.

Offline AJSlye

• Maintainer
  • Netrunner Rolling Edition moderator / maintainer
  • Branch: Stable / Testing / Unstable
  • Desktop: Netrunner Rolling
  • GPU Card: Intel
  • Kernel: 4.4.1-1-MANJARO x86_64 (64 bit)
  • Skill: Guru
« Reply #4 on: 19. January 2016, 15:29:23 »

Good point! I'd forgotten I'd done that myself some time ago, doh!!
It's worth mentioning that by using alsa on it's own, only one application at a time can use the audio (the first one invoked), as alsa does not have the capability to mix the sound of multiple applications. For this you need pulseaudio or jack to sit on top of alsa or oss.

Where do you get your information from?
ALSA stands for Advanced Linux Sound Architecture, it a complete audio solution (drivers, API, and utilities).
And yes it can mix audio outputs by default for discrete sound cards that support hardware mixing.
For Integrated motherboard and other cheap sound cards that do not support hardware mixing, you just need to set up the ALSA plugin Dmix:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture#Dmix
« Last Edit: 19. January 2016, 15:36:38 by AJSlye »

Offline wordler

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • I can wire a plug
« Reply #5 on: 19. January 2016, 15:50:53 »
Where do you get your information from?
ALSA stands for Advanced Linux Sound Architecture, it a complete audio solution (drivers, API, and utilities).
And yes it can mix audio outputs by default for discrete sound cards that support hardware mixing.
For Integrated motherboard and other cheap sound cards that do not support hardware mixing, you just need to set up the ALSA plugin Dmix:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture#Dmix
[/quote

Thanks for the info on that AJSlye. I had drawn my own conclusions upon my own experience, and what I had found online. I was unaware of the Dmix plugin.
For what it's worth I am a professional sound engineer with 30 years experience, but most of that has been working with analogue equipment. The digital domain is now the norm, but even now still in it's infancy in some ways. If ALSA (I am aware of what it stands for btw!) is capable of mixing audio, then that is good news to me. I will be straight onto this. I find pulseaudio to be an extra level of processing that doesn't really need to be there. Also the pulseaudio defaults degrade sound quality, although they can be tweaked to be more "audiophile". I no longer work in the industry, my ears are "shot" through too many loud rock 'n' roll tours, but I can still easily hear the difference between the available options in digital audio. I look forward to messing about with Dmix!  ;D
Fear is the mind killer.

Offline AJSlye

• Maintainer
  • Netrunner Rolling Edition moderator / maintainer
  • Branch: Stable / Testing / Unstable
  • Desktop: Netrunner Rolling
  • GPU Card: Intel
  • Kernel: 4.4.1-1-MANJARO x86_64 (64 bit)
  • Skill: Guru
« Reply #6 on: 19. January 2016, 16:11:52 »
You might want to fix your reply, it ended up inside the quote box. It looks like you may have accidentally removed the last ] from the quote modifier. ;)

Anyway, besides being a computer technician, systems integration tech and now a distribution maintainer, I'm also a DJ and lighting engineer by profession with over 25 years of experience in the country, rock and dance club arena. I've been working with digital audio and time code media since around 2000, and began using midi controllers since around 2003. However, because of the need for video these days, I'm stuck using expensive Serato software on a Mac or PC. I have found though that using Mixxx with Jack and/or a properly set up ALSA on Linux is very capable and stable when mixing only audio. In fact I use a rig now that is set up with Mixxx and ALSA only that I use for scratch battles and/or tournaments, as well as for special events, weddings and private parties where video mixing is not requirement. However, for what it was designed and intended for, Pulse audio is still the best solution for most basic computer audio needs.

PS, have fun playing with ALSA, it is very robust in it's capabilities.
« Last Edit: 19. January 2016, 16:47:27 by AJSlye »

Offline wordler

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • I can wire a plug
« Reply #7 on: 19. January 2016, 16:27:21 »
Haha on the quote box thing! Fair cop buddy  ;D
OK, good to hear your credentials. We are speaking on a level audio playing field I think. My experience with computing is limited, it's mainly as an enthusiastic home user. As mentioned, I will look into setting up ALSA properly, as I find the sound quality perfectly capable of achieving professional results. All I am looking for is simplicity, because that is often the best way. Why jump through 100 hoops when the answer is right in front of you?  ;)
Fear is the mind killer.

Offline wordler

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • I can wire a plug
« Reply #8 on: 19. January 2016, 16:29:59 »
Agreed, for everyday use pulseaudio is fine.
Fear is the mind killer.