Author Topic: Help us with the wiki  (Read 5072 times)

Offline Roland

• Administrator
    • Manjaro Linux
Help us with the wiki
« on: 19. September 2012, 01:24:57 »
It would be great if the Manjaro community would support us by filling our Manjaro wiki!

Roland

Offline eskaini

• Security Team
  • I eat deleted accounts
  • Skill: Novice
Re: Help us with the wiki
« Reply #1 on: 19. September 2012, 08:25:52 »
Yes, I've created an account, and should hopefully be starting from this evening (GMT). I'll be learning how to write wikis at the same time  ::) Saying that, I do have professional experience writing complex documentation, so that will come in useful.

There are two principles I see underpinning this. The first is that structure is of the utmost importance. So far the general headings I am thinking about are:

1. Introduction
subheadings about Manjaro and the team

2. Getting Started
subheadings about getting Manjaro, installing (assisted), installing (by hand), updating the system, etc.

3. Overview of Manjaro
Pacman, etc,

4. Common Tasks

5. Common Problems

And so on. It'll take more shape after I comb through the forums to find items to transfer across as well. Secondly, I hope to keep it as user-friendly as possible with illustrations (where practical) and the use of plain English. It may be worth other users considering translating into other languages, too.

« Last Edit: 19. September 2012, 08:39:04 by verityproductions »

Offline YFDogan

• Support Team
    • http://www.manjaro-tr.org/
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: KDE
  • GPU Card: Optimus (GeForce GT 540M)
  • GPU driver: Non-free
  • Kernel: Linux manjaro 3.14.4-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon May 19 15:45:30 EST 2014 x86_64 GNU/Linux
« Reply #2 on: 19. September 2012, 09:31:32 »
If it is neccessarry , I could help translate the wiki documentation. May be not exactly the translation, but I can give the users what it is about and what it is telling us to do.
Manjaro Linux with DELL Insipiron N5110 i7 8GB Ram, Nvidia-Optimus
http://manjaro-tr.org/forum/index.php

Offline aeonflux

• Neuling
« Reply #3 on: 19. September 2012, 10:12:33 »
Started 2 hours ago. I would like if someone could download all the pics in the Installation tutorial, zip them and send them to me. I hope I can finish the page today!

Taking a break.  There are loads of things left, like formatting, and stuff. I'll try to do that after I'm done.
« Last Edit: 19. September 2012, 10:19:31 by aeonflux »

Offline eskaini

• Security Team
  • I eat deleted accounts
« Reply #4 on: 19. September 2012, 11:17:24 »
@ Aeonflux: Looking good - and congratulations on being the very first user to contribute to the wiki! Very nice touch with the instructions on burning an ISO in Windows, too. Now I will also be able to look at how you've put it together to figure out the formatting for myself, which should save a lot of time.

@ YFDogan: you never know, your efforts may generate a large Turkish user base. I suspect you'd also definately be the KDE guy  ;)

@ All: I've already worked out what I'll be adding myself tonight (assuming I'm not pipped to the post). With permission from other contributors, I'd also like to maintain the structure of the wiki, unless someone else wants to do this, or someone more competent is available. I will - of course - propose structural changes before making any.

At the moment, I am thinking that it may be worthwhile breaking up the installation guide into seperate pages for some items (e.g. a seperate page for getting Manjaro, and for burning to disc / USB flash drive). This will allow greater detail to be provided, and keep the installation guide itself more focused. Links to these pages can - of course - be provided in the guide itself.

Anyway, I've not actually contributed anything yet, so will start writing my own stuff after getting home from work.

Offline YFDogan

• Support Team
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: KDE
  • GPU Card: Optimus (GeForce GT 540M)
  • GPU driver: Non-free
  • Kernel: Linux manjaro 3.14.4-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon May 19 15:45:30 EST 2014 x86_64 GNU/Linux
« Reply #5 on: 19. September 2012, 11:26:57 »
I met Linux with Pardus. It was a KDE based distro and since then KDE has been my faovorite desktop. And now with MHWD and the support to Bumblebee, Manjaro is my shining star. For KDE reason alone I bought this laptop and added extra ram (from 4 to 8 GB). Hope doing the best at all friend. Thanks :)
Manjaro Linux with DELL Insipiron N5110 i7 8GB Ram, Nvidia-Optimus
http://manjaro-tr.org/forum/index.php

Offline aeonflux

• Neuling
« Reply #6 on: 19. September 2012, 20:24:49 »
Just finished writing the tutorial. I'll probably upload the images tomorrow.

http://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Installation_Guide

Any thoughts?

Offline eskaini

• Security Team
  • I eat deleted accounts
« Reply #7 on: 19. September 2012, 21:04:49 »
Nice! I did notice however that a lot of your text had borders around it. From my experience of the Arch-wiki, these are normally reserved for examples of commands to put into the terminal.

A revision may also be necessitated as 0.8.1 may have a slightly different installation process. May be worth holding off until it comes out, and then making the necessary amendments. This is why I haven't written an 'assisted preparation' guide yet (unless you want to!). I was thinking of including this on your installation page, or I can create a separate one for it. What are your thoughts on this?

Oh, and if you feel I'm being a bit heavy handed, please just tell me. No offence will be taken  :)

Offline aeonflux

• Neuling
« Reply #8 on: 19. September 2012, 21:12:54 »
Yes, regarding the borders. It's my first time using any kind of WIKI software. To be honest, the syntax is retarded. Leaving a space before a sentence borders the whole line. I couldn't find a better way to match it with the page yet, but I'll try again later.

About the assisted preparation. I think it will be a good idea to include it in the same page, right be before the manual one.

I will also try to change page's name to Beginner's guide, if you guys are ok with it. I've tried earlier but it didn't turn out too good.

Offline eskaini

• Security Team
  • I eat deleted accounts
« Reply #9 on: 19. September 2012, 21:22:17 »
Yes, regarding the borders. It's my first time using any kind of WIKI software. To be honest, the syntax is retarded. Leaving a space before a sentence borders the whole line. I couldn't find a better way to match it with the page yet, but I'll try again later.

About the assisted preparation. I think it will be a good idea to include it in the same page, right be before the manual one.

I will also try to change page's name to Beginner's guide, if you guys are ok with it. I've tried earlier but it didn't turn out too good.

LOL - yes, I've been "enjoying" the wiki syntax myself  :'( I'm currently working on the main page. Looking at your own work certainly helped me pick things up faster.

To be honest, it may not be necessary to change the name of the page. Manjaro itself is intended to be accessible by beginners, and there's not a whole lot of difference between the assisted and un-assisted installs. Oh, remind me to put something in about virtual machines in the install guide.

Anyway, I would like your (and anyone else's) advice on the page structure. The key will be finding a balance between splitting things into different pages, and grouping things together in them. While I don't want stuff buried (and lost) in huge super-pages, I don't want a billion little ones, either.

Offline eskaini

• Security Team
  • I eat deleted accounts
« Reply #10 on: 19. September 2012, 22:55:23 »
Allright - didn't get as much done as I would've liked today, but have learned enough to start creating a competent Wiki from tomorrow.

Offline Roland

• Administrator
    • Manjaro Linux
« Reply #11 on: 20. September 2012, 15:15:08 »
You are just perfect! Thx a lot to you all! I really like your work on the wiki. We have a very nice Manjaro Community :)

Offline cumali

• Support Team
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: Manjarobox, Xfce
  • GPU Card: ─░ntel
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: Linux38-x86
« Reply #12 on: 20. September 2012, 15:55:31 »
Wiki would be nice to be added :)