Author Topic: Installing Unity in Manjaro  (Read 4134 times)

Offline michaldybczak

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Branch: Manjaro 64bit
  • Desktop: Plasma 5, Gnome 3
  • GPU Card: nVidia
  • Kernel: 4.4
  • Skill: Novice
Installing Unity in Manjaro
« on: 06. December 2015, 19:47:28 »
Can anyone can help me with this conundrum ;)? Just for kicks of creating an instruction how to install Unity in Manjaro :).

Since there is a way to install Unity environment in Arch, I figured out it has to be possible in Manjaro as well. So I started looking.
I found Manjaro Unity community edition here:
http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Linux-Distributions/Manjaro-Unity-Community-Edition-103636.shtml

I run it in live version and it was a disaster because I couldn't connect to my wifi network. Never happened to me before but without Internet, so I marked it as a failure so far.

I found how to install Unity in Arch and thought I could do the same in Manjaro. I'm running Manajro KDE so I know it could be a problematic, it would be better to have for example Openbox, but I thought if it won't work, I can delete unity and bring back old repositories, so no harm in trying. Here is the link to the instruction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UViQCuSQLBI

It all looked fairly easy so I added two repositories for unity, updated repos with sudo pacman -Syy then run:

Code: [Select]
sudo pacman -S $ (pacman -Slq Unity-for-Arch)
This gave me: syntax error on the "sudo pacman -S $ (pacman -Slq Unity-for-Arch)" for (
This happened to others too so in comments someone gave a fix:
sudo pacman -Suy # pacman -S $(pacman -Slq unity)
The issue with that one was that instead adding new packages it only checked updates for new ones and since all was fresh I got information: there is nothing to do.

So I decided to install packages from arch-unity repos manually in octopi. This had some benefits because it asked for optional packages and some of them I wanted, others I don't. Long story short: I run into conflicts:

gtk3-ubuntu conflicts with gtk3. Delete gtk3?

gsettings-desktop-schemas-ubuntu conflicts with gsettings-desktop-schemas.Delete gsettings-desktop-schemas?

gtk2-ubuntu conflicts with gtk2. Delete gtk2?

libdbusmenu-glib-ubuntu conflicts with libdbusmenu-glib. Delete libdbusmenu-glib?

libdbusmenu-gtk2-ubuntu conflicts with libdbusmenu-gtk2. Delete libdbusmenu-gtk2?

libdbusmenu-gtk3-ubuntu conflicts with libdbusmenu-gtk3. Delete libdbusmenu-gtk3?

libappindicator conflicts with libappindicator-gtk2. Delete libappindicator-gtk2?

libappindicator3 conflicts with libappindicator-gtk3. Delete libappindicator-gtk3?

libindicator conflicts with libindicator-gtk2. Delete libindicator-gtk2?

libindicator3 conflicts with libindicator-gtk3. Delete libindicator-gtk3?

Even if I risked and said yes, in the end it said that there is unresolved issue with dependencies:

:: lib32-libindicator-gtk2: requires libindicator-gtk2
:: steam-manjaro: requires libindicator-gtk2
:: steam-manjaro: requires libindicator-gtk3

OK, I don't use steam so I removed it - it already conflicts with Spotify in newest update.

I was left with:

lib32-libindicator-gtk2: requires libindicator-gtk2
I could remove lib32-libindicator-gtk2 but it would remove also all other packages of GTK+ Tool. I thought that I failed here but then I realized, there have to be alternative GTK+ Tool packages that would fit into that puzzle.

Someone up to solving this? I'm newbie in linux and not enough geeky to understand linuxes, dependencies, requirements and codes to figure it out myself.
This is what I have so far and now need help to move forward with this little project.

Please, no posts about how unity sucks, it's just for kicks and expanding possibilities of desktop environments we can install on manjaro. On daily basis I prefer KDE5 but unity is interesting and original in many ways and you can love it or hate it, but people like to have choices.Why not create instruction how to do it in manjaro? I know I would like to have it as a second environment.
« Last Edit: 06. December 2015, 20:54:31 by michaldybczak »

Offline michaldybczak

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
Re: Installing Unity in Manjaro
« Reply #1 on: 06. December 2015, 21:05:17 »
Wish I found this thread sooner:
https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=2209.0

It was quite an interesting read. At first it was just a troll playground but later discussion became mature.
Some posted solutions like:
install antergos, install unity on it, then remake it to manjaro. Unfortunately it turned out to be, complicated, risky and buggy solution.
Responses were from 2013 and lot has changed since then but unity still doesn't merge with anything well.

It looks like installing unity will always be an experiment that won't hold up, since there is no active repos which would maintain updates. We may come up with temporary and buggy manjaro unity but in the end it won't hold, not until manjaro creators wouldn't create and maintain this flavor. This is rather unlikely to happen. It's a pity, because there are people who like unity but hate ubuntu and debian based distros, love rolling releases, love arch and love manjaro for its stability and friendliness.

Offline fladiewatte

• Neuling
  • Branch: Stable and Testing
  • Desktop: XFCE, KDE
  • GPU Card: Asus GTX 770
  • GPU driver: Nvidia (proprietory)
  • Kernel: 4.1
« Reply #2 on: 25. January 2016, 17:12:52 »
I like Unity aswell and wanted to give it a try.
After a couple of hours I gave up on that. :o

The special thing I realy like on Unity is the Menü.

Offline michaldybczak

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
« Reply #3 on: 26. January 2016, 16:54:42 »
I like Unity aswell and wanted to give it a try.
After a couple of hours I gave up on that. :o

The special thing I realy like on Unity is the Menü.

You can always try manjaro unity community version. It's outdated, so probability of breaking while updating is very high.

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Linux-Distributions/Manjaro-Unity-Community-Edition-103636.shtml

Offline handy

• Global Moderator
  • Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1-3 & Worker :)
  • GPU Card: intel...
  • GPU driver: open-source
  • Kernel: OpenBSD
  • Skill: Intermediate
« Reply #4 on: 27. January 2016, 00:02:15 »
Be prepared for breakage after breakage...
The ultimate tyranny in a society is not control
by martial law. It is control by the psychological
manipulation of consciousness, through which reality
is defined so that those who exist within do not even
realize that they are in prison.
  —  Barbara Marciniak