Author Topic: Newbie Questions  (Read 671 times)

Offline SergeGaliullin

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Desktop: FLUXBOX
  • Skill: Novice
Newbie Questions
« on: 11. November 2015, 17:50:18 »
Hello, citizens of FluxBox!
I installed Manjaro with FluxBox yesterday. I have vast experience using Windowses and even a bit of Ubuntu, but I'm not much of a Linux guy. I am not completely hopeless though, I even write back-ends with Python/Django. After installation of M+F I realized two things: it is incredibly fast and I love it, and secondly - I need to configure things. Unfortunately, that became a big problem for me.
Somehow I managed to install Chromium, but it's a bit slowish, comparing to my previous experiences with other OS'. Sadly it is really related to my work. The problem is far from critical, it's just a barely noticeable slowdowns, more when I scroll, but again, I would like to find out what is the problem. So, let me try putting it in a more cozy way:
1. Chromium is a bit slowish
2. Chromium asks me to make it default browser everytime I start it
3. How to switch languages? I would like to write a mail to my mom. During installation I chose Portuguese, because I currently reside in Brazil, but in fact I am from russian-speaking part of Ukraine.
4. What about some really short and simple tutorial on YouTube? Answering questions like "how to install stuff", "how to change wallpapers", "how to switch languages" and so on. In my not so humble opinion (last 5 months I was doing nothing but reading UX books and taking Behavioral Economy courses) a tutorial like this would really simplify life of newcomers, that might drop such a prominent thing just because it's very hard to find answers to such simple questions.
Overall I find FluxBox a perfect workstation. In my opinion I found what I was looking for and I'm really going to give it a shot. But a tutorial could help  ;)

PS:
5. How to deal with multiple python versions? Do I really need python3 for OS to work, or I can remove it?
« Last Edit: 11. November 2015, 21:55:15 by SergeGaliullin »

Offline gychang

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • Skill: Novice
Re: Newbie Questions
« Reply #1 on: 11. November 2015, 20:30:55 »
Hello, citizens of FluxBox!
I installed Manjaro with FluxBox yesterday. I have vast experience using Windowses and even a bit of Ubuntu, but I'm not much of a Linux guy. I am not completely hopeless though, I even write back-ends with Python/Django. After installation of M+F I realized two things: it is incredibly fast and I love it, and secondly - I need to configure things. Unfortunately, that became a big problem for me.
Somehow I managed to install Chromium, but it's a bit slowish, comparing to my previous experiences with other OS'. Sadly it is really related to my work. The problem is far from critical, it's just a barely noticeable slowdowns, more when I scroll, but again, I would like to find out what is the problem. So, let me try putting it in a more cozy way:
1. Chromium is a bit slowish
2. Chromium asks me to make it default browser everytime I start it
3. How to switch languages? I would like to write a mail to my mom. During installation I chose Portuguese, because I currently reside in Brazil, but in fact I am from russian-speaking part of Ukraine.
4. What about some really short and simple tutorial on YouTube? Answering questions like "how to install stuff", "how to change wallpapers", "how to switch languages" and so on. In my not so humble opinion (last 5 months I was doing nothing but reading UX books and taking Behavioral Economy courses) a tutorial like this would really simplify life of newcomers, that might drop such a prominent thing just because it's very hard to find answers to such simple questions.
Overall I find FluxBox a perfect workstation. In my opinion I found what I was looking for and I'm really going to give it a shot. But a tutorial could help  ;)

I am novice myself ...

1.  am not sure why chromium is slow.
2.  should be chromium setting on the right upper corner like 3 bars..., u should see a  choice under setting to make it a default browser, check there.
3.  this has to do setting up ibus, need to learn how to install packages first, and install language packages.
4.  to install best is "windows+d" u will see on the top a box, and type in "pamac" and enter twice, u should be in the package installer, and type in the name of package there.
wall paper change is easy with a mouse-right click and u will get a row of menu so look around there.

Offline jonathon

• Core Team
  • Technologist - Teacher - Tea drinker
  • Branch: Unstable
  • Desktop: MATE 1.14
  • GPU Card: Nvidia GTX680M
  • GPU driver: Bumblebee nvidia+intel
  • Kernel: 4.6.0-*-MANJARO x86_64
  • Skill: Advanced
Re: Newbie Questions
« Reply #2 on: 11. November 2015, 20:39:23 »

Great idea. Go for it.
--
MSI GT70: Core i7-3630QM, 16GB, Nvidia GTX680M, Intel 2230, Manjaro-MATE-amd64-EFI
Lenovo X230: Core i5-3320M, 4GB, Intel HD4000, Intel 6205, Manjaro-MATE-amd64
Dell Studio 1749: Core i5 540, 8GB, ATi HD5650, Intel WLAN, Manjaro-Xfce-amd64
Let's go in the garden; you'll find something waiting.