Author Topic: Which Manjaro Flavor Spin is your Favorite?  (Read 19250 times)

Offline Red Orc

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • GPU Card: Nivideo GeForce 980
  • Skill: Novice
Re: Which Manjaro Flavor Spin is your Favorite?
« Reply #120 on: 21. April 2016, 15:12:43 »
Xfce
1) Shows thumbnails when it feels like it
Can't display file size under file name

Gnome
1) No way to log out and no way (that I saw anyway) to add it
2) You have to reboot the computer or turn it off and then back on again to log out
3) Landscape oriented wallpapers do not display correctly (cuts off top & bottom and only shows middle)
4) Doesn't always display landscape oriented wallpapers correctly

Lxqt
1) Won't display any wallpaper correctly. Shows the entire image and then to the right about another 1/4 of the image. No desktop settings help it.
(Screen shots below)
2) Will not display portrait oriented wallpapers correctly. Cuts off the top and bottom and oly shows the middle. Unless the image is very low resoluition.
3) Right clicking on an image and selecting "set as wallpaper" does not work. At all.
4) Log off doesn't work correctly. You can "log out" but there's no way to log back on. Blicking the mouse bnuttons does not work. Clicking keys on the keyboard does not work. The only way to log back in aghain is to
rither use the power button to turn the PC off or to use trhe reboot button
5) No "show Desktop" button and no way that I found to add one. If you have more than one window open you have to minimize them all...ONE AT A TIME grrrrrrrrrrrrrr..................!
1) Doesn't display lanscape oriented wallpapers correctly
2) App to choose wallpaper ("Backgrounds")  freezes and will only close if I use force quit (after clicking close about 5 times)

Plasma
1) Dolphin siezes up and won't allow me to open any files. Double clicking doesn't work right clickinhg and selecting "open with" doesn't work
2) Apps minmimized to taskbar stop responding. Any app. open works fine but if I minimize it it stops responding.
3) Dolphin crashes. As in it just clicks off. No warning no meesage it just closes.
4) takes (way) too long to log out
5) Takes (way) too long to reboot
6) Takes (way) too long to turn off computer (unless you just use the power button)
7) Creates thumbnails for video files when it feels like it
8) Locks the screen when I'm watching youtube videos

Deepin
1) Doesn't display landscape oriented wallpapers correctly
2) Doesn't display some landscape oriented wallpapers correctly

Mate
1) No way to log out by default - must be manually added
2) Automatically shows mounted hard drives on desktop  I HATE that

Cinnamon
1)  file history that can't be (easily) turned off.
When I was using windows I had that garbage turned off with a registry edit. I don't like it and I don't use it. All it does is clutter up my start menu. I HATE that feature
« Last Edit: 08. May 2016, 21:01:36 by Red Orc »

Offline eugen-b

• Support Team
  • Branch: testing
  • Desktop: LXDE, Fluxbox, JWM, LXQt, bspwm
  • GPU Card: Intel 82945G/GZ
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: 4.5, 4.6
  • Skill: Intermediate
« Reply #121 on: 21. April 2016, 15:20:46 »
@Red Orc, You seem to have problems with wallpapers: try Nitrogen, it should work instead of the normal wallpaper app of the DE.
But it should be actually a matter of settings of the file manager which usually also manages the wallpaper.
MSI Wind Nettop, Intel Atom 230 1.6GHz (64bit), 2GB RAM
DEs: NET-minimal + (LXDE / Fluxbox / JWM); LXQt OpenRC
how to install on btrfs subvolumes
http://manjaro.github.io/donate/

Offline Red Orc

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • GPU Card: Nivideo GeForce 980
  • Skill: Novice
« Reply #122 on: 21. April 2016, 16:11:26 »
@Red Orc, You seem to have problems with wallpapers: try Nitrogen, it should work instead of the normal wallpaper app of the DE.
But it should be actually a matter of settings of the file manager which usually also manages the wallpaper.

Thanks but
(nitrogen:6053): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_value_unset: assertion 'G_IS_VALUE (value)' failed
ERROR: Could not load file in bg set: Failed to open file '': No such file or directory

(nitrogen:6053): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_list_store_set_value: assertion 'VALID_ITER (iter, list_store)' failed
/home/darrell/.gtkrc-2.0:1: error: invalid keyword 'font_name', expected valid keyword - e.g. `style'
/home/darrell/.gtkrc-2.0:1: error: invalid keyword 'font_name', expected valid keyword - e.g. `style'
If I keep using Lxqt I'll either just make the desktop a solid color or try to find somethingh that doesn't look too bad the way Lxqt insists on displaying wallpapers.
I'm kind of tired of messing with this to be honesty.
And I really like Lxqt other than that one irritation.

Since Lxqt displays portrait wallpapers correctly just not landscape I made another folder for Lxqt wallpapers and made sure all the images I put in it were landscape oriented.
« Last Edit: 28. April 2016, 20:46:32 by Red Orc »

Offline louis_2

• Neuling
  • Life is hard. No! We make it hard :)
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: i3, xfce
  • GPU Card: nvidia
  • Kernel: linux44-x64
« Reply #123 on: 25. April 2016, 14:13:54 »
I tried many and always back to i3. I like it simple and KISS :)

Offline LizziAS

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • Branch: Hyssop
  • Desktop: OB-OpenRC
  • GPU Card: 6520G
  • GPU driver: Catalyst
  • Kernel: Zen
« Reply #124 on: 29. April 2016, 06:43:56 »
Openbox OpenRC is my fave and E20 is the next followed by Mate