Author Topic: Which Manjaro Flavor Spin is your Favorite?  (Read 19251 times)

Offline Orbmiser

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Photographer / Techy Ole' Fart
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: Netrunner Plasma 5
  • GPU Card: Ati 4350 Dual Displays
  • GPU driver: Free Open Driver
  • Kernel: 4.1.16-1
  • Skill: Novice
Which Manjaro Flavor Spin is your Favorite?
« on: 10. November 2015, 22:57:42 »
So many choices and Love for Manjaro Spins & Flavors!  :)

Using Netrunner Rolling Plasma 5 myself.

So was wondering what the distribution of users were for their Main favorite DE or WM.

Only One Vote but can change your vote. Poll will run for 30 days. And thought there might be others that are interested of what numbers may pop up.
If using more than one be sure to comment on your workflow for multiple systems using more than one flavor.

Didn't add others as not quite ready for prime time numbers like Deepin and others. Due to their newness and not final spun out to regular users yet.
Feel free to share your takes on those also. Or if I am uninformed that a flavor has been around and I have not listed it. Point it out and will add it to the Poll.

For me just trying to get a better picture overall of the Manjaro Community!  :P

« Last Edit: 10. November 2015, 23:26:16 by Orbmiser »

Offline MadmanRB

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Always thinking, always crazy
  • Desktop: Cinnamon 2.8.5
  • GPU Card: Intel HD Graphics 4600
  • GPU driver: Free and proprietary, depending on need
  • Kernel: 4.1.13
  • Skill: Intermediate
Re: Which Manjaro Flavor Spin is your Favorite?
« Reply #1 on: 11. November 2015, 04:07:30 »
Again Cinnamon is my favorite, mainly due to Cinnamon maturing so fast compared to its competitors.
Three years ago it was a different story but now its become a force to be reckoned with.
Insanity is only a state of mind

Offline AJ1000

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: LXQT
  • GPU Card: NVidia
  • GPU driver: Free
« Reply #2 on: 11. November 2015, 05:52:47 »
Mate is my favourite, but having problems with Compiz 0.9.12, so trying to switch over to KDE. However, Mate always gives me the most flexibility in making a beautiful desktop to use.

Offline MadmanRB

• Sr. Mitglied
« Reply #3 on: 11. November 2015, 06:20:06 »
The only thing bad about the MATE version is it lacks the awesome MATE Tweak tool that Ubuntu MATE uses.
Hate to say it but the Ubuntu MATE edition is the best MATE desktop in my opinion, but thats mainly due to its awesome development team rather then its Ubuntu base.
I have to give credit where its due and Ubuntu MATE is certainly worthy of it.

Offline AJ1000

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Desktop: LXQT
  • GPU Card: NVidia
« Reply #4 on: 11. November 2015, 06:31:42 »
Just been seeing the new features in cinnamon, I think I will try out cinnamon 2.8 next as the Windows preview features are now there.

Offline MadmanRB

• Sr. Mitglied
« Reply #5 on: 11. November 2015, 06:53:51 »
Yeah I am ready for it myself, currently testing out the Netrunner build though

Offline withjaro

• Held Mitglied
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: openrc
  • GPU Card: geforce7150/ATIx2300
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: linux4xxx-x64
« Reply #6 on: 11. November 2015, 07:51:39 »
Phwaah! ... im always blown away by virtually all the operating systems ... the efforts individuals put into projects and the necessary planning is humbling ... Manjaro are definitely serial culprits for this behaviour :)

I guess gaps in my knowledge,add to the mystical magical wow factor ... and despite my admiration for OS developers ... i havent yet found one that ticks ALL my requirements ... one of the frustrating things is,i have never come across a 'themed modular tuition distro' ... admittedly the difficulties of implementing one,is gauging WHAT and HOW students want to learn,and which applications to include,but id say depending on your point of progression,the tools users would employ would generally similar (forensic distros tend to be allied to accredited tuition - i havent forgotten) - another factor is commercial tuition systems probably dont want lots of open source projects stealing business - the same reason why decent open source translation solutions (other than the atrocious 'lost in translation' Google) are few and far between maybe.

But hey ... im not whining ... theres no shortage of precious jewels that i can attempt to gold plate ... just a matter,of my OWN progress ... im almost as fast as Usain Bolt - whilst hes asleep 0_0
< insert your own inspiring quotation - and smile :) >

Offline paolo

• Neuling
  • Desktop: i3
  • GPU Card: ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 32MB
  • GPU driver: Mesa
« Reply #7 on: 11. November 2015, 08:34:42 »
thanks to all the Manjaro team and especially Oberon my 3 trashware laptop are reborn with the i3 edition  :D
Dell Latitude C640 – CPU P4 2Ghz – RAM 2 GB
HP Compaq nx6310 - CPU M410 1,46Ghz - RAM 2 GB
Asus EeePC 1001PX - CPU Atom N450 1,66Ghz - RAM 2 GB
HP Pavillion dv2000 - CPU T7300 2Ghz - RAM 3 GB
all for Manjaro i3 by oberon

Offline tanaymkis

• Jr. Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Desktop: i3
  • Kernel: 3.18.22-1-MANJARO i686
« Reply #8 on: 11. November 2015, 13:36:53 »

I use i3 because I prefer lightweight WMs and i3 and Fluxbox seem to be the best.Mostly because of Oberon.

Offline g33zr

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.
  • Desktop: Cinnamon
  • GPU Card: Intel
  • Kernel: the latest
« Reply #9 on: 11. November 2015, 22:17:17 »
While Cinnamon is my go-to DE, if I were to note a Manjaro spin, I like Netrunner very much.  :)
OK, so I took the red pill. Now what?

Offline xlillo

• Jr. Mitglied
  • Branch: Stable - Testing
  • Desktop: Cinnamon - Fluxbox
  • GPU Card: Nvidia GTX 970
  • GPU driver: nonfree
  • Kernel: 4.4 LTS
« Reply #10 on: 12. November 2015, 13:13:58 »
I have 2 favorite, but possible only chose one...  :(
In notebook I am using i3, very very fast, stable as rock and very well done.
In laptop from 3 days I have Fluxbox and I really love it!
Fast, light, stable as a rock and very productive.
My last install was KDE, but in last period had many issues when enable compositor with nonfree nvidia drivers, sometimes hang all KDE and need ctrl+alt+backspace for login again.

Offline Orbmiser

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Photographer / Techy Ole' Fart
  • Desktop: Netrunner Plasma 5
  • GPU Card: Ati 4350 Dual Displays
  • GPU driver: Free Open Driver
  • Kernel: 4.1.16-1
« Reply #11 on: 13. November 2015, 01:34:33 »
Tho loving my Netrunner Plasma 5 finding a pulling effect back to Cinnamon due to 2.8 release.
But think I'll just wait for the official release to give it a go.

But seems no matter what DE I choose. I keep missing the more mature and feature rich apps that KDE gives.
Krunner,Dolphin,Okular,K3b,Ksnapshot,etc.. The slew of configurations and tweaks.
The critical for me is Apps to remember their size & position. As run 4 virtual desktops on Dual Displays. So find that kind of important.

So always ended up pulling in half of KDE anyways to add to features,functions I needed in a DE.

And come ON Manjaro Users Vote Now! Would like to see some triple or more digits total number of votes.
« Last Edit: 13. November 2015, 01:36:19 by Orbmiser »

Offline verderol

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • Desktop: Xfce
  • GPU Card: Intel HD 4400
  • Kernel: linux318
« Reply #12 on: 13. November 2015, 08:16:09 »
If I were to suggest a DE implementation for a new user to Manjaro, I woud stick to the official flavours

I don't think that at the moment any spin feels as polished as those two -and Netrunner-

We've to keep in mind that sometimes those spins are a one man effort, and the rolling realease nature of this distro.

Offline withjaro

• Held Mitglied
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: openrc
  • GPU Card: geforce7150/ATIx2300
  • Kernel: linux4xxx-x64
« Reply #13 on: 13. November 2015, 09:24:29 »
You highlight the difficulty i have in answering this poll objectively,verderol (though i know its a bit of fun,Orbmiser ;))

With regards to distro strategy ... sure i like the idea of community democratisation to shape its form ...
... i also like when distro founders and developers get a chance to curl,stretch and creativise ... personalities,talents and idiosyncracys shine through :)
... its tough job ... 'putting your best your best foot forward' because DE maintainers are dependent on the DE developers experiences ... which can be inspiring/frustrating on either extremes ... though a lot of joy is found in a harmony of libraries ... its an extra special treat when a distro creates their individual WM/DE (im not mentioning Unity ;)) ... nice when it happens though :)

For me ... i want a learning/script coding environment ... so its Awesome up front .. and Qtile and Subtle on either wing tip :)
Problem is ... im virtually having to learn C,Lua,Python and Ruby to implement the idea ... which is ... the reason i want to build the window manager combo in the first place o_0 (think the concept of a Blue Lua,Yellow Python,Red Ruby is too inticing ... i dont think i ever left kindergarten ... everything is wipe clean,primary and is cut with safety scissors ;))

I think they call that 'putting the cart before the horse' !?!?!
« Last Edit: 13. November 2015, 09:34:06 by withjaro »
< insert your own inspiring quotation - and smile :) >

Offline cybermails

• Jr. Mitglied
  • ☛ ✝ ♥ ☻ ☮
    • cyberMails
  • Desktop: Gnome 3.18.3
  • GPU Card: GeForce GTX 750 Ti
  • GPU driver: Non-free
  • Kernel: 4.2.8.3-1 Manjaro 64 bit
« Reply #14 on: 13. November 2015, 16:37:27 »
If you look at the current polls, Xfce =15.2%, KDE = 8.7%, and Gnome = 13%, and given that Gnome is the default DE for Fedora, Antergos, etc., I think it is only fair to ask that Gnome be included in the officially supported desktop environments. When I first joined the Manjaro community (>1.5 yrs) I used Xfce for a while. Its speed and high customizability attracted and made me stick with Manjaro since. Wanting to test newer waters I tried the KF5 experience for a little bit. All along I had an aversion for Gnome 3, however, had never installed it on my computer to actually test it objectively. I finally mustered the courage to check the Gnome 3 DE out because Plasma 5 got my hopes high and then left me dry. Contrary to what I was expecting I am actually quite pleased with the speed, and the minimalist-KISS approach for its user interface. No longer am I bogged down by adjusting the UI, compositor, and graphics card issues (esp. with KDE) ad infinitum, but I actually find myself spending more time on getting my work done! Apart from the slick looks, I also like the overall consistent UI design that the Gnome environment provides, not to mention its relatively high customizability through extensions and specially designed gnome applications. I am sure that there are many others in the Manjaro community who would like to see Gnome in the officially supported Manjaro DEs soon, and many others who are either opposed to it or don't care. However, I'm confident that as the Manjaro community gets even bigger they will find the means to officially support Gnome. I hope that the Manjaro team feels that way as well :)

UPDATE:
Xfce =20.0%, KDE = 11.6%, and Gnome = 15.8%    @ 7:04 PM [GMT -06:00] Nov 28, 2015
Xfce =16.3%, KDE = 12.8%, and Gnome = 15.1%    @ 11:55 AM [GMT -06:00] Nov 25, 2015
Xfce =16.4%, KDE = 11.9%, and Gnome = 16.4%    @ 10:40 AM [GMT -06:00] Nov 19, 2015
Xfce =15.8%, KDE = 10.5%, and Gnome = 15.8%    @ 2:23 PM [GMT -06:00] Nov 14, 2015
Xfce =14.9%, KDE = 8.5%, and Gnome = 14.9%    @ 10:40 AM [GMT -06:00] Nov 13, 2015
« Last Edit: 29. November 2015, 02:04:38 by cybermails »