Author Topic: AwesomeWM + CrossOver + Gaming Experiences  (Read 856 times)

Offline el8

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Skill: Intermediate
AwesomeWM + CrossOver + Gaming Experiences
« on: 10. November 2015, 18:31:27 »
Sup guys,

since i'm using the awesomewm manjaro respin i had always the the question in my mind if its also possible to use this resping also on my main machine.

It's the first time I really want to use Linux as my main OS. The reason why i didnt tried it yet, is that i like to play World of Warcraft and there is still no native Linux solution for this. I used to try wine for one week, some years ago, but that was a performance loss of ~30%. But i heard and red already a lot of CrossOver and the big differences in the perfomance between it and wine.
I would also pay the 50 Euros per year for a good running manjaro awesomewm with WoW, but iam still not 100%percent sure if this will work as i imagine.

Red already some good experiences with CrossOver and WoW, but theres noone whos using AWM :)

Just wanted to know from you guys what kind of experiences you did with AWM and Crossover and FullScreenApplications (maybe there're some WoW Gamers also).

My PC Build:
AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3,4 GHZ
NVidia GeForce GTX 550Ti 4096 MB
8192 MB Ram
128GB SSD + 3 TB sATA HDD

Would like to hear you opinion about that and maybe get in contact with some people who already did this gaming with AWM experiment :)

Offline Zileene

• Held Mitglied
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: awesomeWM,Gnome
  • GPU Card: various
  • GPU driver: the one that works
  • Kernel: 4.1
Re: AwesomeWM + CrossOver + Gaming Experiences
« Reply #1 on: 12. November 2015, 00:39:58 »
I have used AwesomeWM on my desktop computer for everything, including games (both native and wine) without problems.
I'm actually using that same computer as a server for Steam's in-home streaming and media services right now, still running AwesomeWM, and plan to finally get VGA-passthrough to work on it soon(tm). ;D

It's the only WM/DE that has let me run 3 instances of Eve Online + kodi tiled on one 4K screen without any problems. ^-^

So yes, you can use AwesomeWM on your main computer without problems. :D

Have Fun! ^-^
Z.
While I may not always have the correct solution, my input could lead you in the right direction...
If you don't know what a command does, then type 'man <command>' or '<command> --help' to find out.

Offline el8

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
Re: AwesomeWM + CrossOver + Gaming Experiences
« Reply #2 on: 12. November 2015, 13:59:56 »
Thank you very much!

I appreciate your example with the three instances of EveO. I'll go and give the whole thing a try and will respond in this thread my progress and the status when its done.

Cheers