Author Topic: plank dock does not intellihide  (Read 1106 times)

Offline Sam Miller

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Skill: Novice
plank dock does not intellihide
« on: 25. October 2015, 21:04:22 »
Hi,

When a window is maximized, the plank dock does not appear when I move the mouse down to the edge of the screen like it does in other gnu/linux desktop environments. Is there anyway to correct this? In order to get access at the plank dock, I have to resize, unmaximize, the window.

Thanks,
Sam

Offline oberon

• Core Team
  • I'm nice. Be new!
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: i3, Deepin, Cinnamon
  • GPU Card: Intel ValleyView Gen7
  • GPU driver: Intel
  • Kernel: 4.1 / 4.4
  • Skill: Intermediate
Re: plank dock does not intellihide
« Reply #1 on: 25. October 2015, 21:47:25 »
It's not really a bug. It has to do with how fluxbox (and plank) are layed out:
https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=27152.msg229156#msg229156
manjaro is addictive ::)
* manjaro-i3  * manjaro-cinnamon  * manjaro-deepin

Offline bugman

• Neuling
  • take it easy :)
  • Skill: Novice
« Reply #2 on: 28. October 2015, 23:41:11 »
what a pity..so there's no way for having both working (I mean maximized windows and plank)..however, great work dude!!  ;)

Offline frylock1666

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Skill: Intermediate
« Reply #3 on: 01. November 2015, 21:27:45 »
what a pity..so there's no way for having both working (I mean maximized windows and plank)..however, great work dude!!  ;)

This really bugged me too... but I kinda found another bug? which makes it work.

First set the layer to Dock for plank: in ~/.fluxbox/apps find plank and change the layer to 2.

Reboot the fluxbox enviroment and check that it's now visible above other windows.

Then in a terminal type as user
compton -b

On my machine the Plank program visually changes to a dark rectangle (with icons) etc and the focusing issue is no longer a problem. It's now contained to the size of the Plank and not some large invisible area at the bottom of the screen.

To ge this to work on startup I modified ~/.fluxbox/startup by adding after the plank entry
compton -b &

I dont know what's going on nor how to make Plank look like it's original guise but at least it functions how i want now.

*Lastly I also found I get better performance by amending the 1st compton entry in the fluxbox startup file to the following:
compton --backend glx --paint-on-overlay --vsync opengl-swc &

but dont add -b to this 1st entry or fluxbox won't load. I had to add the second entry as mentioned above.

cheers