Author Topic: Is Fluxbox Lighter on Resources than Enlightenment?  (Read 1048 times)

Offline Rocky-IV

• Jr. Mitglied
  • Life is Good on Manjaro
  • Branch: Unstable
  • Desktop: Cinnamon, Fluxbox, Enlightenment
  • GPU Card: i7-4790S / ATI Radeon R7
  • GPU driver: Free
  • Kernel: 4.6RC-x64
  • Skill: Intermediate
Is Fluxbox Lighter on Resources than Enlightenment?
« on: 18. October 2015, 23:14:18 »
         I'm in the final stages of decided between Fluxbox or Enlightenment Desktop Environments.
Will be installing a Linux Distro on my brothers PC. It's an old (XP era) Dell Dimension with 512mb of RAM memory.
Been looking at Bodhi Moksha and Manjaro Fluxbox.

Seems like a horse race between these 2 distributions. I've had much better success with Manjaro in regard to updates never breaking the system.
RAM Memory is my main question: & I don't believe that Virtual Machine-Environments (VM) is a true way to test.
Running a distro from USB Flash thumbdrive isn't the same as installing to hard drive either.
I personally like Manjaro best, but in the end it's the user's computer.

Do you consider Fluxbox to be the best in form, function, and UI, without total loss of feature set @ expense of RAM memory usage?

Regards
Rocky

Greetings
Life is Good on Manjaro

Offline oberon

• Core Team
  • I'm nice. Be new!
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: i3, Deepin, Cinnamon
  • GPU Card: Intel ValleyView Gen7
  • GPU driver: Intel
  • Kernel: 4.1 / 4.4
Re: Is Fluxbox Lighter on Resources than Enlightenment?
« Reply #1 on: 19. October 2015, 02:45:26 »
Hi, Rocky-IV! :)
I can't say anything about Bodhi... I can only tell you that the 64bit version uses between 260 and 270MB RAM when it freshly boots up. 32bit will use a little less and you can switch off some stuff like pamac or maybe exchange networkmanager with wicd.
Already switching off Cbatticon and maybe Plank will save you some memory.
In any case you should set up a swap partition / swap file with low RAM hardware like that! ;)
« Last Edit: 19. October 2015, 02:48:37 by oberon »
manjaro is addictive ::)
* manjaro-i3  * manjaro-cinnamon  * manjaro-deepin

Offline Chrysostomus

• Maintainer
  • Neckbeards are cool
    • Git
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: Gnome, bspwm
  • GPU Card: Intel HD4000
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: linux44-x64
« Reply #2 on: 19. October 2015, 17:13:35 »
If you want something light, I think bspwm respin is currently the lightest and most ui efficient version of manjaro (followed closely by jwm edition and lxqt edition, which are probably more approachable options). It uses less than 100mb on fresh boot on my machine (64bit edition). But then again, it is tiling and has higher learning curve (designed to make terminal easier instead of avoiding using it). And other editions look better in addition to being easier, especially those made by oberon (fluxbox and i3).

Offline Rocky-IV

• Jr. Mitglied
  • Life is Good on Manjaro
  • Branch: Unstable
  • Desktop: Cinnamon, Fluxbox, Enlightenment
  • GPU Card: i7-4790S / ATI Radeon R7
  • GPU driver: Free
  • Kernel: 4.6RC-x64
« Reply #3 on: 19. October 2015, 17:27:47 »
     Thanks Chrysostomus

I'm going to try Manjaro LXQt 15.10 [stable] just released today.

I usually use Calamares automated installer which i believe automatically provides swap.
I do believe I can adjust/resize swap partition size after Calamares Manjaro installation to hard drive using GParted.

What swap partition size would you suggest for Dell Dimension (512mb RAM) memory?

Loving Manjaro
Regards
Rocky
Greetings
Life is Good on Manjaro

Offline eugen-b

• Support Team
  • Branch: testing
  • Desktop: LXDE, Fluxbox, JWM, LXQt, bspwm
  • GPU Card: Intel 82945G/GZ
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: 4.5, 4.6
« Reply #4 on: 19. October 2015, 18:10:19 »
If you install LXQt or LXDE you get an Openbox session "for free". ;) Seriously, you can copy the Openbox settings from Manajro Openbox edition to the LXDE or LXQt install and have a lighter session if RAM proves a problem. LXDE is more mature, LXQt is being developed and is more innovative. They are both a bit easier to use than Enlightenment, IMHO. But I only tested Enlightenment for 2 hours or so. 
But best, try to upgrade the RAM, if possible. With such a small RAM you can easily take double the size as swap. Take 2GB for the case you can later upgrade your RAM to 1GB.
Edit: The specs of some Dell Dimension models state that it can be upgraded to 4GB.
« Last Edit: 19. October 2015, 18:29:05 by eugen-b »
MSI Wind Nettop, Intel Atom 230 1.6GHz (64bit), 2GB RAM
DEs: NET-minimal + (LXDE / Fluxbox / JWM); LXQt OpenRC
how to install on btrfs subvolumes
http://manjaro.github.io/donate/